Strude Ros
The Infallible

Old 10-08-2013, 07:01 AM

Why? Because everyone talks about actual drawings, but I don't do that kind of art. So let us talk about the horrible love hate relationship most graphic designers have with KERNING!

Recently, I finished a project for class where I had to hand kern 3 fonts. Then trace them, no bleeding allowed, and then mount them. Everything had to be to spec. Took me about 15-20 hours to complete. I learned many a thing, but the worst is how much I love and hate kerning. It has both enlightened me and caused me to be unable to look at font without either glowing with happy or groaning with hate.

My world is a rather different place now that I've begun to understand spacing.

So anyone else have any stories about kerning?
Any tips, suggested reading, fun facts?

SUGGESTED READING:
Paper Leaf (reading)
KERN ME (kerning game)

xuvrette
(づ。❤‿...

Old 10-09-2013, 01:24 PM

I never know what is kerning. That game is pretty addicting.

I thought kerning is something else.

Strude Ros
The Infallible

Old 10-09-2013, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xuvrette View Post
I never know what is kerning. That game is pretty addicting.

I thought kerning is something else.
Kering is the process of spacing individual letters, and it is all done by eye. Between different letters there is a different amount of space to make the letters feel visually balanced.

The spacing varies between serif and san serif fonts too. Since the serif effects how you space the letters.m There are a few other terms that go with the whole process too.

Once you learn the skill it ruins everything though. I often can't look at certain text or fonts on papers or posters without cringing! >D or signs to some businesses. It's annoying but a great skill. I'm not terribly great yet.

xuvrette
(づ。❤‿...

Old 10-11-2013, 03:21 PM

I mix up kern and serif. I thought that little serif tail is kerning. XD

Strude Ros
The Infallible

Old 10-11-2013, 05:13 PM

Serif is the little "tick" on certain font styles.
San Serif font is "no serif" font, has nio serifs.

Fixedsys has serifs.

Making them big so you can see.

Arial has no serifs.

Flowery Pit
Come fall into my abyss

Old 10-14-2013, 09:05 AM

Hmm. I'm not a graphic designer but my roommate is. Right now she's getting her masters in it, and I just asked her how she felt about it, and she just says it's just something you do.

However, I think she understands the pain of hand kerning. I think one of her next classes in spring is called experimental type where they do everything by hand, and she isn't looking forward to it.

xuvrette
(づ。❤‿...

Old 10-15-2013, 02:51 AM

Everything by hand? O__O

That is challenging.

Ikuto Akihiko Hasegawa
is full of flavor

Old 10-15-2013, 08:13 AM

Ooh, I never knew this was a thing!
I learned something new~
And it was neat to do. 8D

PrincessKasumi
Stalker Ninja
Penpal

Old 10-19-2013, 05:42 PM

Oh god D: I never want to do that lol, especially of it by hand

Strude Ros
The Infallible

Old 10-25-2013, 05:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flowery Pit View Post
Hmm. I'm not a graphic designer but my roommate is. Right now she's getting her masters in it, and I just asked her how she felt about it, and she just says it's just something you do.

However, I think she understands the pain of hand kerning. I think one of her next classes in spring is called experimental type where they do everything by hand, and she isn't looking forward to it.
Yup, some people really enjoy it and it is their thing. Most people we just do it, because you have to. Any good design if you don't kern your text you'll have a poor design.

Drives me nuts and I personally dislike. But I'm also more of a web person, I enjoy the coding portions (though we haven't gotten to them yet).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ikuto Akihiko Hasegawa View Post
Ooh, I never knew this was a thing!
I learned something new~
And it was neat to do. 8D
Yup, most people don't see it or notice it which is the point. The aim is to make it look right, visually balanced.

Heh, yeah it's got it's moments. Other times you stare at font for so long you can't tell it if is right or not. Which is the part that pisses me off the most, but design is like that in general. You stare at stuff for so long you just can't see anything. TIME TO AFK AND CHILL is what I say when stuff like that happens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xuvrette View Post
Everything by hand? O__O

That is challenging.

It was, but it was also a learning experience that I'm glad I was able to have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessKasumi View Post
Oh god D: I never want to do that lol, especially of it by hand
Took forever, but it wasn't bad I had a lot of fun even when I wanted to cry. >D