Cudibrium
⊙ω⊙

Old 05-26-2012, 03:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nacara View Post
I think it depends on the type of graffiti. Some pieces are very inspiring, and therefore should be considered art. Some are just plain crud.
I agree with what you said, I would also like to add that graffiti is looked upon as low-class no matter how beautiful it is. I f you really think about it, graffiti is never 'beautiful' in the media's eye.

Flowery Pit
Come fall into my abyss

Old 05-28-2012, 04:32 PM

I think it depends 'cause graffiti and street art are two different things. Street art is looked as vandalism too, but it's usually stencils or free hand of the artists. Like Banksy, or Invader who sticks designs on a building.

And maybe people has morphed graffiti into a similar term of street art because it both involves putting something where it doesn't have permission in a sense. Where you can be arrested and even fined for it.

Graffiti to me, is usually words rather than.. a literal or abstract design. So, for example, someone can create a very detailed word saying "Bananas" in spray paint. But even if it's the most amazing font.. and unique choice of colors, it's still graffiti to me in my eyes.

It's a bit hard to to define it or make a valid opinion. Because I really like graffiti if it's done "well". But it's still vandalism to me.. where as street art isn't. It's strange. I think its just personal preferance of what you like.

Nightmaren
A Simple Neglectable Oddity

Old 05-02-2013, 10:02 AM

I'd have to say it depends on the type of Graffiti. Some are just quick signatures without much effort, just to take up a wall, and are vandalism. Others are detailed works, that depict a marvelously done person or font, or perhaps even a creature like a dragon. Those would be art, but yet still vandalism. But some people are allowed or even paid to do so on walls, though that would be more of a mural, and that's the art without the vandalism. But I believe those works with more effort into them are most definitely art, and can be more captivating than some murals.

The Wandering Poet
Captain Oblivious

Penpal

Old 05-02-2013, 07:45 PM

While people will perceive it to always be vandalism, so long as there are a few factors, such as quality of work, proper placement, size, etc determine if it is vandalism.

There is a city I heard about a few years back that, when the police tried to clean up the streets the neighborhood stepped in and prevented them from removing the graffiti art because it was so well done.

Personally if it was well done I'd at least want to know who made it...

Kat Dakuu
hyperactive catdemon

Penpal

Old 05-02-2013, 08:21 PM

I love graffiti art. I've even participated in painting a mural before for a class and we talked street art a lot. A tag isn't art although sometimes it can be beautiful. but I think what makes something art is the intention for it to be art. Taggers aren't usually trying to be artists, but real graffiti artists want their work to be viewed and appreciated so it should be.