Kalium
(っ◕‿◕)&...
Send a message via MSN to Kalium

Old 01-07-2012, 12:22 AM

Speaking of which, I think different manucure styles and nail polish colors go for different nail shapes. French manucure and dark nail polish colors look better on long, narrow nails in my opinion. My nails are short and wide, so I usually wear nail polish in pale, pearly, translucent colors. I think my nails look better like that.

zigbigadorlube
[-_-]~

Assistant Administrator

Old 01-07-2012, 06:12 AM

I've grown so accustomed to filing my nails in the same general shape for the most part. I can't get used to seeing the sharper nails that pop up in pictures on the nail art blogs I've started following. >.>

lunanuova
l u n a

Penpal

Old 01-07-2012, 04:50 PM

Kalium: Mine might be similar, they resemble more of a rounded shape.
Zig: You mean sharper as in squarer nails or pointy ones? ^^

RoadToGallifrey
When life gives you melons, make...
Penpal

Old 01-07-2012, 06:20 PM

I painted my nails tonight. I did them blue with dark blue tiger stripes. C:

I took a picture, but you can't really see all too well. :c They look better in real life.

zigbigadorlube
[-_-]~

Assistant Administrator

Old 01-07-2012, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunanuova View Post
Kalium: Mine might be similar, they resemble more of a rounded shape.
Zig: You mean sharper as in squarer nails or pointy ones? ^^
The pointy ones.

My nails are usually something like this shape:

http://stat.ameba.jp/user_images/201...1632565683.jpg

And this is the shape I personally don't like:

http://stat.ameba.jp/user_images/201...1161283500.jpg

I just don't really like how narrow they get towards the end. To me it just looks weird. I usually go for a natural rounded shape rather than square or pointy.

@ Casette: Thanks for sharing your picture! It's hard to get close up pictures sometimes but I can see the design, they're cute! I don't really have any good blue colors myself. V_V

Last edited by zigbigadorlube; 01-08-2012 at 12:40 PM..

RoadToGallifrey
When life gives you melons, make...
Penpal

Old 01-07-2012, 07:18 PM

Thanks. C: I struggle to get nice pictures of my nails. Not only does my camera suck, the lightening is never good, my hands and nails are tiny too. That's my nails "long" haha.

secretdae007
The Colors of a Dae

Old 01-08-2012, 02:03 AM

These were Dae's nails for most of last week. ^_^

zigbigadorlube
[-_-]~

Assistant Administrator

Old 01-08-2012, 03:48 AM

Taking pictures of nails is usually awkward I find. You have to position your hand a certain way and get a certain kind of lighting, etc.

Those look nice Dae! I've only recently realized that the new trend is to decorate the ring finger differently than the rest of the nails.

Here's my first attempt at using crackle polish:

I just took it off to use some of the new polish I got today though.

lunanuova
l u n a

Penpal

Old 01-08-2012, 11:45 AM

Cassette: Cool! That looks good. Shame about the picture quality.. I find it sooo hard to take a picture with good focus on my nails!

Dae: Those look so cool! What is the effect on the ring finger?

Zigbig: I want my nails to be more like yours! Because the thing is, my nails stick out past my fingers about the same as yours, except mine are much shorter because my cuticle is so much closer to the end of my finger (making them shorter). So it's not that they need growing, it's just a different nail style. I do confirm my belief that crackle polish looks better on longer nails now then! They look great. It really suits your nails.
The pictures in your previous post to that one don't seem to be coming up for me!

zigbigadorlube
[-_-]~

Assistant Administrator

Old 01-08-2012, 12:55 PM

I took the image coding off of the pictures to see if that would do it but I guess it's a problem with the links. I'll have to try to do something else to fix it when I get on my computer rather than my iPod.

Oh! I've never really noticed that the position of the cuticle could vary so much. I use a manicure tool to push my cuticles back a bit, maybe if you soak your fingers in warm water and use a manicure kit you could push it back to make your nails look a bit longer?

Thanks! I'm glad I could help you decide. ^_^ I'll probably try the crackle with the China Glaze I got yesterday the next time I use it. I also finally found the perfect pink. I've been really craving a light pink that wasn't do subtle that the color would be lost on my nails but also not a bright or dark pink and one without sparkles or luster. Whew! It was a chore but Essie finally came through for me. ^^;

lunanuova
l u n a

Penpal

Old 01-08-2012, 01:23 PM

I wanted one of those too, I ordered a pink online a while ago and it was called Soft Pink but its much brighter and barbie-pinkish than I thought. I'd like a light pink that shows up properly, because most pinks are wishy-washy I find.

The links have come up now but they lead to some sort of error :S Ah well.

zigbigadorlube
[-_-]~

Assistant Administrator

Old 01-08-2012, 04:25 PM

Ugh. That's the problem with nail polish, it always looks different in pictures. It's so hard to get an idea of the color sometimes, even when you buy it in a store. I always open the bottle and check the consistency too because sometimes it looks like a solid color on the outside of the bottle but when you open it up and check it can almost look clear because the color is so thin...

Yeah, I tried to fix it by taking off the image codes and letting if be a link but it must be something with hot linking I think. I'll have to find the pictures again and upload it to something probably before it will show up here. >_>

lunanuova
l u n a

Penpal

Old 01-08-2012, 04:51 PM

I always open the bottle in a shop too! I can tell by looking at it whether it will need like one coat or quite a few. There isn't essie nail polish in the UK I don't think... well not in general drug stores. How much are they? Are they a bit pricier than normal ones?

zigbigadorlube
[-_-]~

Assistant Administrator

Old 01-08-2012, 04:57 PM

Essie is expensive! It's $8 a bottle, the most I've seen charged for a polish. I found it on a clearance rack for half off otherwise I wouldn't have bought it. ^^;

lunanuova
l u n a

Penpal

Old 01-08-2012, 05:32 PM

What shop did you get it from? Isn't OPI like $10 or more though?

zigbigadorlube
[-_-]~

Assistant Administrator

Old 01-08-2012, 05:47 PM

I think OPI is like $7.50 here... I bought them from a cosmetics store called Ulta.

lunanuova
l u n a

Penpal

Old 01-08-2012, 05:59 PM

Ah I wish we had cosmetic stores here. I'm desperate for an Ulta or Sephora!!

zigbigadorlube
[-_-]~

Assistant Administrator

Old 01-08-2012, 06:20 PM

I almost never go into Sephora because I'm not a huge makeup person but someone took me into Ulta once and I was amazed by the selection they have.

Melody
(づ ̄ ³ ̄) ...

Penpal
Send a message via AIM to Melody Send a message via MSN to Melody

Old 01-08-2012, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carzeebear View Post
Do you guys call Shatter, Crackle? That's a cute name for it.
It depends on the brand that you get as to what they call it. I think OPI is shatter, and Sally Hansen is Crackle...er there was also like "napi" but I can't remember what they called their shatter/crackle polish.

I've got a pink and a blue matte polish. I'm still uncertain how I feel about them. They're...okay. but I'm not really using them too often. ^^;; I tend to stick with Zoya polish. Even though it's $8 a bottle. It's a "greener" brand than most.

Right now I'm quite into sparkle polish though! This is my current: Zoya Nail Polish in Kissy - Red Glitter Nail Polish

Monte Gray
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Old 01-08-2012, 06:53 PM

I like how you made just the tips shiny. cool!

lunanuova
l u n a

Penpal

Old 01-08-2012, 09:26 PM

I'm really into makeup and I've been in Sephora once, when I visited Seattle for the day. And I wanted to stay in there forever!

zigbigadorlube
[-_-]~

Assistant Administrator

Old 01-08-2012, 10:42 PM

@ Melody: I found a few Zoya polishes on the clearance rack in Ulta but I had never heard of it before then.

@ Luna: I don't have the patience, the eye, or the wallet for makeup myself. I'm honestly surprised that I've gotten so into doing my nails recently. I used to play with polish a lot as a kid but then stopped using it for the longest time. It might have had something to do with taking art classes though... Painting, drawing and ceramics don't mix well with manicures. ^^;

@ Gaara: Those nails aren't really mind but I did try the technique on my own nails a show back.

jellysundae
bork and means

Assistant Administrator

Old 01-09-2012, 02:03 PM

I like glitter polish, but I'm unsure how I feel about the "lumpy" stuff :lol: My first thought was simply that it would be easy to fix when it chips because there'd be no obvious lines like there is in smooth polish xD

My nails are purple with a fine silver and blue glitter at the moment. This will chip at soon as I do anything at work tomorrow! Even if I put more top coat on first, which I will later. The purple is more purpley than it looks in the pic xD

Good old Google! This pic shows the colour a lot better, shame this girl didn't do a tidier job of her nails before posting a pic on a blog for the whole world to see o.o

lunanuova
l u n a

Penpal

Old 01-09-2012, 06:57 PM

jelly: That's the same colour? It looks so different! You have lovely nails! Well, the girl has better looking nails than me too! Is GOSH good nail polish?

secretdae007
The Colors of a Dae

Old 01-09-2012, 10:30 PM

zigbigadorlube: It's even harder for me because I use my phone. Dx And I've done my index finger different. Depends on how I'm feeling that day, I think. xD

I've got OPI black shatter polish. But it definitely looks better on longer nails.

Melody: I'm got Izzy, which is the not sparkle version of Kissy. It's a really nice polish

lunanuova: It's a nail applique from Incoco. I didn't do the designing or anything, just put it on my nail.

Chanel is the most expensive polish I've ever seen. They retail for about $25 [USD] a bottle. The most expensive polish I own is Julep polishes that retail for $14.

Last edited by secretdae007; 01-09-2012 at 10:58 PM..