Trelweny
\ (•◡•) /
Send a message via AIM to Trelweny Send a message via Yahoo to Trelweny

Old 08-13-2008, 06:23 AM

The switch that turned on the door chime to the basement now turned off Min stood casually behind the counter, hand beside the parcel. She giggled happily at Besnik’s comment, and his smile. It was good to see him smile. For some reason… Min thought he must not smile nearly enough.

A bit of the light fell from her eyes and the laughter softened upon her face. For a moment she seemed to be deeply pondering the question. More than such a question needed. Her mind was busy though, jumping around what she knew and things like if her father would be home, and if he was what would be his reaction. Even her mother’s reaction. The moment though was still short and soon Min was smiling brightly again. Not forced either. She was focusing on the good stuff –spending more time with her new friend and his kind & generous offer. That was what got her smiling again. What made her happy again. She laughed softly, to not bother Hank’s customer. “You offering?” A warm twinkle. “I can get it all… but if you’re offering I’d love company. And the help.”

It was a lot, and though as she said Min could carry it all it would be more fun to share with Besnik. Grinning, she repackaged the single parcel into two even ones.

meilin
pumpkin phantom

Old 08-13-2008, 06:42 AM

Besnik blinked and tilted his head when he noticed Mindy's smile fade for a moment, as short as it was. He wondered what had been on her mind at that moment. But he knew it wasn't his place to pry into it. Their friendship was still new, and he didn't want to offend her by asking something that she might now wish to answer.

"It's what a friend would do, right?" he asked, letting the smile return to his face. He took the second of the parcels.

Trelweny
\ (•◡•) /

Old 08-13-2008, 10:35 PM

A flicker. Had he seen … anything? Even if he had, Besnik’s smile relieved her. His smile brightening her own. A sparkle of gratitude for the respect of privacy whether intentional or not and she pulled the other parcel to her. “Sure is.”

Just then Hank walked up chatting with the gentleman customer. Mindy quickly and quite sheepishly skirted back out from behind the counter. Seeing them, the shop-owner looked like he was about to smack himself on the forehead for something. “Excuse me a moment, would you Brett? I need to ring these kids out.” The other man nodded and Hank slipped behind the counter to the register. “Would that be cash or charge today Min?”

“Charge.” She answered decisively, setting her package back down so she could reach around to her bag and slip out a card. A family card it looked like, but with her own name on it. She still smiled easily, but not quite as brightly as before. No real reason for it other than this was business, not fun. Hank seemed to be of a similar mind, his smile also taking on that ‘get the job done’ demeanor s he accepted the card and ran it through the scanner. Min tapped a rhythm out with her finger on the counter as she waited for the receipt to print: ‘With a Little Bit of Luck.’ Hank could almost be seen trying not to burst into a huge grin as he placed it, an even harder to see hint of sorrow behind his eyes. “Here you go, Min. You kids have a good day. Oh and Min? Give me a call when you guys decide on a time. You know my work schedule & the busy days.”

She nodded with a bright smile and giving a wave Hank excused himself to return to his customer. Min stuffed her receipt in her pocket and lifted her package to her chest –similar to how she had held her notebook but without the clinging or importance that had. “Ready to go?”

meilin
pumpkin phantom

Old 08-13-2008, 11:51 PM

With the parcel in his hands, Besnik glanced around the shop some more from where he stood at the counter as he waited for everything to be paid for. He turned back when he heard Mindy. "Yup, ready to go," he agreed with a smile. He waved goodbye to Hank before they headed toward the exit of the hardware store.

"Do you always get so much stuff from there?" he asked curiously once they were outside. He looked over the parcel he held then the parcel Mindy held. It seemed like quite a bit of stuff.

Trelweny
\ (•◡•) /

Old 08-14-2008, 01:22 AM

Stepping outside of the shop Min grin and shook her head, blonde waves hitting her shoulders. "Not every time. Usually only a few odds and ends, here & there." A sheepish grin touched eyes and face. "But Mom's started a new project." Her laugh was a little shriller than normal as she shrugged, glancing far off hopefully before the flicker of pain showed in her eyes. "And Dad wanted to rewire the switch in the family room."

She felt a slight chill and only barely repressed a shiver. Why...? Always the question returned. Even on bright and beautiful days like today. Min looked at the sun best she could, soaking up its warmth.

Suddenly she blinked, turning back to Besnik sheepishly and tossing her ponytail lightly. "Woah. Sorry 'bout that. Too much light after being inside."

meilin
pumpkin phantom

Old 08-14-2008, 02:59 AM

Besnik's brows lifted slightly as he watched Mindy. He shook it off and turned his gaze up to the sky. "I almost didn't realize how bright it was until now," he mumbled as they walked. He didn't think he should pry into Mindy's family life.

He turned over thoughts in his head before dropping his gaze back to Mindy. "If you're not busy after dropping this stuff off, you c-could come over," Besnik said awkwardly and nibbled on his lip. "You know, and h-hear me sing."

Trelweny
\ (•◡•) /

Old 08-14-2008, 06:19 PM

Hazel eyes lit up nearly blue as all shadow danced away from them. “I’d love that! Really! And you’ll sing?” Soft warm laughter and a gentle smile even with all her excitement to show that she would not force him –would never force him- and that just the offering meant so much to her. “Maybe.”

Min looked like if she was not holding the package she would have hugged him again. There was an added bounce to her step. “Thank you!”

meilin
pumpkin phantom

Old 08-14-2008, 09:18 PM

"Y-Yeah," Besnik answered, flushing brightly. He wouldn't have believed that anyone could be excited to hear him sing until now. He smiled back Mindy. "So whenever you'd to come over."

He glanced at Mindy. Dad can't see the smoke, he thought, thinking back to when he first noticed the cloud of smoke hovering over the bone folding fan. But can other people? He shook the thought from his mind. With school, he had been too busy keeping up his grades to think about going back to the store to ask if the smoke was a normal thing. Or why his father couldn't see it.

Trelweny
\ (•◡•) /

Old 08-16-2008, 04:01 PM

She could not help it –she was excited. At the same time Min felt a little guilty too. She had not invited him to her home. Not really. Dropping tools and things off was not the same thing. In that moment, watching Besnik blush and knowing her dad’s work schedule Min made a decision. “We could have a snack first at my place if you want.” Her pace was increasing slightly. “I’m sure Mom will be cool as long as I’m back before dark.” Her dad was another story, but then he usually was. A story Min told no one.

Her smile did not even flicker with anything to hint at her family state this time. Min was too thrilled. It was shifting more gentle though. Compassionate. “Long as you don’t think you have to sing just ‘cause you mentioned it. Though I know I’d love it.”

meilin
pumpkin phantom

Old 08-16-2008, 04:37 PM

Besnik blinked and almost asked "Really?" before biting his tongue. How many times before had he asked that after Mindy said something? It must seem like an annoying habit, he thought.

"That sounds great!" he said out loud as a smile slipped onto his face. He shook his head with a small chuckle. "I did promise, and I should keep that promise. Not because I have to, but because I want to."

Trelweny
\ (•◡•) /

Old 08-17-2008, 11:59 AM

“Did you actually promise?” Min asked with a cute tilt of her head. She did not remember him promising exactly. Just that maybe he would. Sometime. Still she could not keep the smile from brightening her face, even in the light of going to her house for a while. At least they always had really nice snacks there. He wanted to. Whether it was wanting to sing or wanting to keep the promise she was not sure he had even made, it made Min really happy to think that.

His chuckle was contagious and Min laughed soft and warm and relieved. She gave a happy skip as if holding back from wanting to run with happiness. “Besnik, this will be so much better than some party!”