Bunai
\ (•◡•) /

Old 01-06-2009, 12:29 PM

Lion Turtle is scary ^_^

Liath
\ (•◡•) /
Send a message via AIM to Liath Send a message via MSN to Liath

Old 01-13-2009, 02:15 AM

i think a lot of the characters could be played by the voice actors who play them, even live-action. Dante Basco could definitely be Zuko in a live-action movie, and i guess the girl who does Yue's voice could play her too. I don't know what too many of the other voice actors look like, though.

Tilly
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Old 01-14-2009, 05:41 PM

I'm not looking forward to the movie, at ALL. :/

I LOVE avatar, having recently finished it and I don't think any of the actors chosen could do it justice. Jesse McCartney and that dude from Twilight? Come on.

I agree with Liath that some of the voice actors should be given a chance. Dante Basco is hot and would so do an amazing Zuko. I mean, some of them obviously, they'll grow out of the voice, like the kid who plays Aang or the kid who plays Toph, but like.. I dunno. I don't like the choices so far. D:

This better be kickass or I'll be really sad. M.Night Shamalan hasn't done a good movie since The Sixth Sense, he better hike up his pants and do a good job.

Smellerbee
\ (•◡•) /

Old 01-16-2009, 02:57 AM

I thought that Unbreakable, Signs, and The Village were all good.

He is a good storyteller so I think that Avatar could be very good, just different from the series. For example, I doubt it will focus as much on humor and action as the series did.

Bunai
\ (•◡•) /

Old 01-26-2009, 08:15 PM

yup said the same thing Page 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunai View Post
But seriously... don't you guys think they should have just gotten Dante Basco to play Zuko! The dude was freakin' Rufio lol!! He may not be the right age, but it would be a fangasam to see him on screen again as the very character he voiced.
Lol the voice actors can practically portray the live-characters. Even though they are Caucasian, and that is what people have the issue with.

I will admit my confidence in M.Nights "Avatar" has dropped, but likely I will check it out. I was hoping that all the protest would wise up the Studios and they would halt production of the movie.

Fortunes-fool
(-.-)zzZ

Old 01-29-2009, 11:07 PM

i have a feeling that it's might suck D:>

Violet_Beauregarde91
\ (•◡•) /

Old 02-05-2009, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smellerbee View Post
I just heard about it at school, so as soon as I came home I googled it to see if it was true, and apparently there will be an Avatar movie! A trilogy, actually. And it gets better - it will be directed by M. Night Shyamalan.

That made my day. I can't wait! Avatar is my favorite TV show.

I hope M. Night Shyamalan does it justice. He's made some awesome films, but his recent movie, Lady in the Water, was kinda lame.

Who do you think will act as Aang, Katara, Toph, etc? I wonder, will they be Asian or White? I think that child actors usually kill movies so I hope M. Night Shyamalan can pull this one off.

Buddytv has an article about it for anybody interested in reading a bit more about it.
Yay, an Avatar movie!! My brother and I love Avatar!!

Jesweet
*^_^*

Old 02-09-2009, 04:47 AM

I'm a bit apprehensive about the movie.
Usually they turn out ridiculously more funny than they were meant to be.
The actors, the dialogue, the CG effects.

I would go see it of course (and get labled as a nerd XP) because I loved the show, but I might just as well ask about it from some one else first.

Edit: I just looked at the other posts about casting choices and...*shudders* maybe it'll be better than it looks....?

Last edited by Jesweet; 02-09-2009 at 04:52 AM..

Bunai
\ (•◡•) /

Old 02-13-2009, 06:35 AM

That's what people are hoping.
But a lot of people wanted the characters to be portrayed by Asian actors. Not Asian actors as some background cast.

Ugh, I wonder how far they are into actually shooting. I can hope and hope that the casting is changed or the movie is held off.

tirethminet
the leenie
Send a message via AIM to tirethminet

Old 02-15-2009, 01:43 AM

aauuuuugh, casting fail, directing fail, who did this?
m. night has been slowly spiraling downward since signs. :[

thoughts on casting:
aang - well, no one knows who the hell noah ringer is, so we'll just have to wait and see. XD
zuko - dev patel... would not be my first choice. at least he's not jesse mccartney.
sokka - jackson rathbone actually looks like he might be okay. if he weren't, you know, whiter than me. i hope they do some makeup magic.
katara - just ...no. :: cry :: nicola peltz does not look at all the part. at. all.
suki - the rumour of jessica andres actually looks pretty good, so i hope they keep her.

well that's my... five cents? x3

Last edited by tirethminet; 02-15-2009 at 09:51 PM..

Rabid Rainbow
ʘ‿ʘ

Old 02-15-2009, 08:19 PM

I am very worried about this movie.

I found this blog post through a link in a dA journal and what worries me the most is this quote from that Twilight actor who's going to play Sokka:

Quote:
I think it's one of those things where I pull my hair up, shave the sides, and I definitely need a tan," he said of the transformation he'll go through to look more like Sokka. "It's one of those things where, hopefully, the audience will suspend disbelief a little bit.
If that is not a seriously messed up way of thinking, then I don't know what is.

EDIT: Whoops, forgot to link to the blog: Blog post

Last edited by Spring`Tyme Fresh; 02-16-2009 at 02:51 PM..

Bunai
\ (•◡•) /

Old 02-20-2009, 03:11 PM

re-cast: Dev Patel is now Zuko (Fire Prince)

If his is a legit casting, this kid needs to buff up.
The guy is cute, but I can't see him as Zuko (who looks dangerous). So basically the whole Fire Nation is now British Indian? :sarcasm: Oyi oyi.
Dev just has that "Happy Go Lucky Guy" look on his face lol

I like Jesse, but the kid didn't even know the role he was playing! Even if he didn't see the toon, at least have some kind of in sight that you know what you are talking about! Especially if its for a large movie role. =3
He may of had the good side view of Zuko, but he just wasn't Zuko.

Overall, Night and his genius:roll: Casting Director, continue to not "Get it."

I think this movie is a bit below the standards of Dev. Never saw him in anything XD but from what I have read, he has played some pretty awesome parts in his career.

thoughtlessamaya
*^_^*
Send a message via AIM to thoughtlessamaya

Old 02-21-2009, 12:53 AM

M. Night Shyamalan has lost my respect after he made "the Village" it was an epic fail of a movie.

If this is true, Avatar needs a better director. And they need to stop turning cartoons into live-action movies. Hollywood is just looking for more ways to get money.

Rabid Rainbow
ʘ‿ʘ

Old 02-21-2009, 03:21 PM

@Bunai: Well it's an improvement over Jesse.

But I think Dev looks more suited to the part of Sokka, personally. But hey, what do we know? We're just the dedicated fans who have analyzed every shred of that cartoon to bits and love it as if it were our own child. *is bitter*

Granger Danger
⊙ω⊙

Old 02-21-2009, 08:20 PM

I've heard that he's casting all white kids for roles based on asain culture?
I am NOT seeing the movie if Jesse McCartney is playing Zuko or anyone else for that matter.

There's a great comic on dA making fun of this, here

I saw Dev Patel in Slumdog Millionaire, but I don't think he'd be a good Zuko. Like Rabid Rainbow said, he might be a better Sokka. How old is he? 18? 19? He might be a little old for the movie XP

Bunai
\ (•◡•) /

Old 02-22-2009, 12:23 AM

I think he's 17... 18 or something like that.
And yes, he would have make a better Sokka based on looks alone, and he is a rather cheerful looking guy.

I don't expect live-action adaptations based on comic,animated,toy media to cast people that look exactly like the characters. But I do like some kind of security that the Studio payed some kind of attention to the source.

No one on earth looks like the lead characters for Avatar:TLAB. That is the point. They are characters who have a slight touch of perfection when it comes to animated appearance.

Granger Danger
⊙ω⊙

Old 02-22-2009, 12:51 AM

Well no, there's never going to be exact replica's of cartoon characters in real life, but they can try their best.
The show is heavily based on Asian culture, wouldn't it be best to try and cast someone who's... Asian? Why would the main characters be white when they're obviously not in the original show?

Rabid Rainbow
ʘ‿ʘ

Old 02-22-2009, 01:13 AM

Casting all Caucasian people for an Avatar movie would be like casting the Lord of the Rings movies with all Asians and Africans. I mean, I never says that Middle-Earth is similar to medieval Europe, but since they have monarchies, chain male, swords/archers/etc, and horsemen/women, it's fairly obvious.

And Avatar is quite obviously in a world very similar to feudal China/Japan. (excluding the Water Tribes which are much more Inuit in inspiration). I mean, Song, from season 2, is shown wearing a hanbok (traditional Korean garment)!

Really Shyamalan, I didn't expect this to be absolutely perfect/exactly like the show, but I expected better from you. I mean, really, how hard is it?

WTFranki
⊙ω⊙
Send a message via MSN to WTFranki

Old 02-22-2009, 08:07 PM

:DDDDDD

Yay!

I haven't watched the series in forever cuzz I didn't have cable but <333 Yay!
I loved the series. ^w^

spicedroses
(^._.^)ノ
Penpal

Old 02-22-2009, 08:20 PM

it would be ridiculous to cast all white people in an avatar movie. It just screams wrong. I hope he doesn't do that. If that is the guy playing zuko he just doesn't fit the bill for me. I hope they choose someone else or buffs up and let's his hair out some. Those pics don't give off that dangerous sexy vibe I got from the show.. well as much as a drawn character can.

Bunai
\ (•◡•) /

Old 02-23-2009, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Jersey View Post
Well no, there's never going to be exact replica's of cartoon characters in real life, but they can try their best.
The show is heavily based on Asian culture, wouldn't it be best to try and cast someone who's... Asian? Why would the main characters be white when they're obviously not in the original show?
Yup
I spoke up about that in other forums and here.

The cast is ridiculous, but apparently it's Paramount themselves that made such a stupid decision.

A lot of people came up with the excuse for them, about not being able to find Asian actors... :sarcasm: yeeeah riiiight.

The only reason they cast white leads, is because they believe America mainstream doesn't want to see an Asian as the lead character for a big movie. Which is of course ridiculous, since it is obvious that Americans have been speaking up and becoming more vocal about this type of discrimination when it comes to Movies and TV shows.

Smellerbee
\ (•◡•) /

Old 02-28-2009, 09:55 AM

I think Dev Patel will do an excellent job as Zuko.

Knerd
I put the K in "Misspelling"

Assistant Administrator

Old 02-28-2009, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabid Rainbow View Post
If that is not a seriously messed up way of thinking, then I don't know what is.

EDIT: Whoops, forgot to link to the blog: Blog post
That's a great blog.
I just spent a few minutes wandering around his links and reading everything that's been posted, and he does a wonderful job presenting his case. It makes me want to sit down and write a letter to Paramount right now.

epho-ka xanthan
(-.-)zzZ
Send a message via Yahoo to epho-ka xanthan

Old 02-28-2009, 06:10 PM

i am definitely NOT going to see this movie. in fact, i might boycott it. with all my asian friends.

casting all-white actors (except Dev) for a movie that is so blatantly ASIAN is just wrong. i don't care if ''brown doesn't sell'': Avatar proved that wrong ages ago. don't get me wrong, i have nothing against whites, it's just that i hate it when things like this happen. and somebody said earlier how the production company couldn't find any asian actors to play the parts?? i think that may be because there's never been any real need for them, so there are none. at least, none who are actually expirienced and stuff.

dev patel would make a better sokka, i agree. he's just not zuko. no amount of muscles and hair will fix that.

of course, nobody needs to take me seriously...

Byaggha
*^_^*

Old 03-04-2009, 01:42 AM

You know, every time I hear anything about this film, it makes me want to hit M. Night more and more. And I'm really not a hitting people kind of girl. The casting sucks so far. One Indian guy is NOT going to save it at this point - especially not an Indian guy clearly cast for the wrong role. Drop the white kids and get some proper casting. Seriously. The Avatar nations have some pretty specific Asian similarities to them, for the most part. I fail to see why a movie needs to be all white - if the cartoon sold well with that, why do you need to change it for the live action?

Bah.

I haven't liked M. Night since Sixth Sense, and this is not making it any better. He's going to destroy a great series, and the guys who created it are doing nothing to stop it.