Miko Bukake Bath
(-.-)zzZ
Banned

Old 05-02-2009, 02:47 AM

Yup. That happens to me all to often... it pisses me off too because I have some really good ideas. I need to draw something, but every time I pick up the pencil I don't want to draw....that also pisses me off!:P

Neurotic Cupcake
⊙ω⊙

Old 05-05-2009, 06:01 AM

I have had this happen many times. You have to think about it this way, it may not come out the way you want it to the first few times... but most artist get better over time. Just remember to write down what you want to draw and keep trying each time you have noticed that you have improved in your drawing. There's this one picture in my mind i've always wanted to draw, and i'm not sure if I could even do it now since I have had the idea for about 7 years now. Also, I always want to paint beautiful things but, alas, I suck at painting, drawing with pencils, pens and paper are my talent.

Lumiel
(-.-)zzZ

Old 05-07-2009, 12:07 AM

In general, I find that drawing from imagination becomes easier with practice and with drawing experience.

My approach to drawing something from my head begins (as with many artists) with a rough sketch. The lines of it might not indicate an actual object in the scene, but the general movement and position of those objects. I try to get as much of the image out of my head as I can relay, and then I look for references.

Occassionally, I'll do this in reverse, starting with a reference that looks a little like what I have in mind. I might begin copying what I need from it(such as the pose or the lighting) and then take off with it in my own direction.

As for advice, it depends on what you are trying to draw.

Is it scenery? Learn about perspective. You can establish a complex scene with a fairly simple grasp of perspective. Do quick sketches of city scenes or landscapes. Work big - by that I mean start with the big stuff and work down to the details.

Is it animals? Practice, practice, practice! Don't draw just from your head. Spend time copying whatever references you can find - photos, drawings, live animals if you can get them to stay still! If you had a book on drawing when you were very young, it probably showed you how to draw animals out of circles and squares. The next step up from that is to make those shapes three-dimensional. Work on drawing the simplest of 3D shapes. I'm not joking - draw speheres, cylinders, cubes, eggs and cones. The next step is to combine these shapes to make a basis for your intended subject.

If you want to draw people, the same basic rules apply. You'll need some understanding of perspective to get complicated poses, especially those with odd camera angles like the work of Hyung-Tae Kim (though it should be noted that he intentionally exaggerates his figures for effect). There are a lot of systems in place to construct a human head without looking at one. Check out these: 1 2

Again, start big and work towards the details. This is especially important for work from imagination. In general, it's best not to start with one feature, but to begin with the shape of the head. This way, everything is kept in porportion. An eye does not exist on its own; the size and shape of it are relative to the other features of the face, so you should plan out all of the features before you begin refining them.

I really recommend books by Loomis and Vilppu. These are hard to come by, but both teach great systems for drawing with and without models.

References can be found everywhere. Every serious artist has a collection of reference images. Your own body can be used as reference material, and there are programs like Daz Studio (free, by the way) that enable you to pose a 3D model in a position you desire. You can then base your drawing off of that.

It is a misconception that artists draw everything straight from their mind's eye. A trained artists learns by copying what they see, and drawing without a subject takes a lt of time. Even the masters made studies of models. The best artists never stop studying. They don't wake up one day and accept that they are "good enough", because that concept does not exist. There is always something to learn. I don't care if you could draw like Michelangelo from your mind, there's always more to learn.

This goes for manga artists, too. Many use idol photos as reference material. Get around enough and you might even find a drawing that you have seen the reference photo for(I have).

Using references does not make you any less of an artist! On the contrary, it will strengthen your work. All practice will help you to draw better from your imagination.

Last edited by Lumiel; 05-07-2009 at 12:23 AM..

Claudia
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Old 05-07-2009, 03:38 AM

This is very nice and well thought out, however if you are drawing something that doesn't exist you won't have a reference.

In other news...you make me want to close my eyes and imagine my studio.

Last edited by Claudia; 05-07-2009 at 03:49 AM..

Lumiel
(-.-)zzZ

Old 05-07-2009, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claudia
however if you are drawing something that doesn't exist you won't have a reference
I'm not sure what you mean. Everything that can be imagined is based on something seen at one point or another. Creature designers base their monsters off real beings (often insects). They might create a beast that has never existed on its own, but their legs resemble a dog's and their face a grasshopper.

A mermaid doesn't exist, but references for women and fish are plentiful. A dragon doesn't exist, but lizards and dinosaur remains serve as great starting points.

Or, you can just wait for magic to happen on paper without putting any effort into it at all. But you will not improve doing that.

Last edited by Lumiel; 05-07-2009 at 01:10 PM..

Claudia
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Old 05-07-2009, 10:09 PM

I suppose that's the best one can do when you are creating something that doesn't exist, use the closest reference you can.

Nymuellia
Overworked Artist
Send a message via AIM to Nymuellia

Old 05-09-2009, 09:13 PM

Yeah I get this problem often. :(
But the fun thing is, when it comes out different, it usually comes out as something pretty neat, thought it's not what I wanted. I actually tend to prefer it when that happens. ^^

Chickie Nuggs
❀◕ ‿ ◕&...

Old 05-10-2009, 10:04 PM

It happens to me quite frequently. I just assume its a common occurrence among artists. Sometimes i come up with some nice work when i dont think of the subject too, however :P

Wordstreamer
Nifty Fairy of the North
Penpal
Send a message via Yahoo to Wordstreamer

Old 05-11-2009, 12:15 AM

That's only happened to me once--I haven't even tried to coax it out yet. It's so vivid that I'm waiting until my skill matches what's in there.

(It happens a lot with choreography, though--I see the dance, I know what it should all be and exactly how it fits.... But I haven't got the flexibility for it. D: Curses.)

FakeSunShine
Loveless Angels
Send a message via AIM to FakeSunShine

Old 05-11-2009, 02:54 PM

You are quite correct. I feel many times that when i decide that i want to make something and i plan it all out and i can see it so clearly i spend hours on end trying to make my work seem more like what i want it to be. Sometimes i will completely ruin a peice trying to make it look like what i wanted but other times i give up and eventually over time begin to see the good points in the work that has been created i see the chatacter it has and the meanings behind it even if it is not what i originally was looking to create

I feel that no matter who you are or what you do you will always be trying to find abetter wya to do things to make something better and that you will never be completely happy with your work except on the exterme rare occasion

Jess
⊙ω⊙

Old 08-01-2009, 05:54 PM

Once I have a good idea (that's the part I have trouble with) it's not that hard for me. :|

13th
⊙ω⊙

Old 08-02-2009, 12:49 PM

I've only had this problem a few times. I mostly use drawing to picture what I have in my head, but it's more like giving it this face and these eyes and those clothes etc. I almost never have a full picture in my mind of what I like to draw.

Judas Iscariot
Juggalo

Old 08-03-2009, 08:42 AM

Claudia, I know exactly what your talking about. This problem makes me really sad because i feel that if i thought it up i should be able to draw it right? apparently that is not the case. it may be that your mind knows his have the ability, just that you yourself had not quite figured out how to unlock it. Or that some people just don't try as hard as the could, although when you try hard you get worked up and it isn't fun anymore, and i would rather be the worst artist in the world and be happy than the best and hate drawing. hope this helps or at least makes an interesting Topic point. :sweat:

NailBunny
Britty
Send a message via Yahoo to NailBunny

Old 08-04-2009, 03:23 AM

I always give up when that happens. I get frustrated too easy. I've just learned it's easier when you just draw something on the spot instead of thinking it through before hand, or just having a general idea of what you want to draw and then just adding the details and running with it after you start. I think if you just kind of let it happen instead of planing it out it's easier.

terrytini
(-.-)zzZ

Old 08-04-2009, 04:08 PM

That has happened to me MANY times. Dx I really gets under my skin sometimes... Most of the times I just give up... ; 3;

Total Error
⊙ω⊙

Old 08-07-2009, 11:54 AM

Hm.. It happens to me a lot, i'd say. I was asked to paint a door recently. I don't want to say that i failed but what i had in my mind was so not the same as the final result. I didn't finish it yet. I stopped and thought that maybe more thinking will result in a better outcome. Who knows, maybe it is going to be a lot better. o_O;

fuyumi_saito
(。・ω・&...
Send a message via MSN to fuyumi_saito

Old 08-15-2009, 10:10 PM

This always happens to me.. but at the end as long as I try my hardest, and what I produce is decent enough then I'm okay with it. I'd be happier if it was exactly like what I wanted, but I've learned to accept what I draw and think that maybe one day I'll be able to draw something awesome like what I imagine..same with writing..

Mesmerized
⊙ω⊙

Old 08-16-2009, 02:58 AM

That happens to me WAY too often.
I tend to always have so many different ideas for a drawing, but when I start they tend to not look exactly how I planned.
But I guess this happens to all of as alot.
I wish whatever you're thinking would instantly appear infront of me, on paper. That'd rock :P

Kuro-chan
(-.-)zzZ

Old 08-19-2009, 12:57 PM

For some reason, this always happens to me whenever I'm doing my AP artwork. x__o

YamaXzi

Old 08-25-2009, 01:50 AM

If something pops into my head that I wanna draw, I either get out a pencil/pen and sketch until it turns out right or a go to MS Paint. XD Or maybe an Oekaki.

But when it doesn't turn out, it really gets frusterating. >->

Hyena
Cannibal

Old 08-25-2009, 11:41 PM

When that happens, I try doing it in a different medium or go look up reference pictures. I think I've drawn the same scene in charcoal, pencil, colored pencil, and even modeled it in Maya before I came to something I actually liked.

amulet
Dead Account Holder

Old 10-10-2009, 06:08 PM

this happens to me all the time! its so frustrating. i don't give up easily, i just obsess over the drawings until i get them at least somewhat close to the same.

xRAIKI
(-.-)zzZ

Old 10-16-2009, 10:12 PM

the idea in my head is so vague anything that remotely looks like it makes me happy =D
things usually turn out better when i doodle

SamuraiPanda
Dead Account Holder

Old 10-17-2009, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Ever had this happen to you?
Yes, this has happened to me frequently, I have two or three fantasy worlds floating around in my head that I just can't get out on paper in any form art or other wise.
Quote:
How do you overcome it?
I haven't really over come it persay, except now I'm at least able to draw characters that live in those worlds. Some have names some don't etc. I've even been able to write a little about the social structures and history of two races in my fantasy worlds. Other then that though the whole story is stuck in my head and won't come out!
Quote:
OR maybe you give up?
I haven't given up on trying to get these worlds out of my head, yet and I don't think I ever will give up. I want them to live in a sense. Its really hard to explain, I just don't want them dying off with me ya know.

Last edited by Sally Sinema; 10-25-2009 at 06:51 PM..

Kayxx
I thought what I'd do was, I'd p...
Send a message via MSN to Kayxx

Old 10-23-2009, 11:44 AM

I used to have this problem a lot, but I don't have it so much lately. I think I used to imagine stuff I didn't have the skill to draw, but nowadays I think that's not a problem anymore. My imagination and my skill level are in sync now. I'm not sure if that's a good thing though....