Kat Dakuu
hyperactive catdemon

Penpal

Old 02-24-2017, 04:09 PM

Cain ground his teeth in frustration. Nick wasn't offering him anything, let alone an explanation. He wasn't even interesting for conversation. "I hate you," he muttered before falling into silence himself. He walked for another few minutes before finding the stream he looked for. It ran at a gentle and lazy pace, though he knew it picked up in strength as it flowed further downhill. However, it wasn't that direction he intended to go. He came from the westerly direction further downhill where a town sat nestled at the valley. His goal, was to reach the highest peak of the mountains this forest footed. "You know if you follow me, you may never get back home," Cain stated.

star2000shadow
☽⚝☾

Penpal
Send a message via AIM to star2000shadow Send a message via MSN to star2000shadow

Old 02-25-2017, 01:48 AM

Nick grunted. "It wouldn't' be the first time I wandered away from the village for y ears." or eons. but he kept that piece of news to himself. now how to respond the the 'i hate you comment' from earlier. 'well i could tell him i have no clue why i feel compelled to fallow him.' which was partially true. normally he only fallowed those who had children, to ensure the children where safe. it was a second instinct to him. so why did he feel compelled to fallow Cain?

Kat Dakuu
hyperactive catdemon

Penpal

Old 02-26-2017, 02:03 AM

"Oh for Radnor's sake, why are you always so quick to comply!?" Cain snapped. Whirling around, he slid on the damp slopes of the stream without once losing his balance. Eyes locked onto Nick again. "Can nothing get to you? Years, or danger, or reason? Even if you're nice, no one would go this far. For a stranger?! There's no reason I should be that important!" He gasped after the effort of his yelling, but still didn't back down. Not now, not ever. "I'm not!"

star2000shadow
☽⚝☾

Penpal
Send a message via AIM to star2000shadow Send a message via MSN to star2000shadow

Old 02-26-2017, 09:09 AM

Nick stared at the other then snorted. "Your very..vocal." then he moved down tot he stream and unslung the water skin that he was carrying to dip it into the water, absently sending a flash of magic into the skin to sanitize the water, you never knew what was flowing through streams. "And, to be honest, I have no clue why I feel compelled to fallow you if you must know. but my instincts have never lead me wrong before."

Kat Dakuu
hyperactive catdemon

Penpal

Old 02-26-2017, 10:16 PM

Cain let out a small noise of irritation. He was beyond words at this point. If Nick didn't have a real reason, then he shouldn't feel compelled to do anything. "Well my instincts are telling me to ditch you about an hour ago," he huffed back. However, he paused on the banks as Nick filled his water. Dipping down, he gathered some for himself and drank the water cupped in his hands. Although he followed a stream now, he never knew when that source may run out. It was the nightmare of all travelers--or at least one of them. After his drink, he hummed slightly, seeming more at least even as he turned to shake his head at Nick. "And don't call me vocal. That just sounds silly."

star2000shadow
☽⚝☾

Penpal

Old 02-27-2017, 02:01 AM

Nick snorted. "Would you prefer Whining?" silver eye's grew light with amusement, lips twitching very slightly, one had to be able to read his expressions to see the amusement there. Finishing with filling his water skin he stood up and slung it back over his shoulders, so the strap went crosswise on his chest. humming he studied both directions of the stream. ideally wondering which way the other would travel.

Kat Dakuu
hyperactive catdemon

Penpal

Old 02-28-2017, 09:17 PM

Cain choked on his breath. "Whining?!" A look of abject horror crossed his face as if no one ever said something so insulting to him. Which wasn't true and his life was hardly in danger. He knew that feel too. And yet, he found himself just as irritated as if he were. It was strange that Nick could do that to him. "I am a man of pride and honor. A traveler! I am not a person that whines!" Crossing his arms, he let out another huff before pulling to his feet. Like Nick, he gazed into the distance. Trees went on forever, but he could tell his direction by the slope of the group. Fixing his eyes on the higher ground, he spoke once again. "Are you sure you don't want to turn back?"

star2000shadow
☽⚝☾

Penpal

Old 03-01-2017, 12:33 AM

Nick grunted. "You asking me every twenty minutes, isn't going to make me do so." nick said, tone amused. the other was like a cat, tug at its tail and it did the funniest things. especially Cain. "and you might be a traveler but you still whine. I've heard cubs who don't whine as much."

Kat Dakuu
hyperactive catdemon

Penpal

Old 03-01-2017, 09:13 PM

Cain growled and whirled away. "Fine, say what you will! We're done stopping here!" he snapped. On his feet again, he steadied his gaze at his destination. He gave Nick his last chance, so now they were going to travel with no turning back. Of course he naturally switched to referring to them as a 'we,' not he and Nick. He didn't even notice it himself. Cain breathed out once as he steeled himself, then took the first step with his finger raised to point their way. "Let's go then. To the top of the mountains!"

star2000shadow
☽⚝☾

Penpal

Old 05-13-2017, 10:08 PM

Nick grunted as he climbed to his feet tugging his pack back onto his shoulders so he could keep pace with the other. rolling his eyes at the dramatization that the other was doing but keeping it to himself. though if the other looked he'd see nicks lips twitching slightly in amusement. "alright, top of the mountians it is." he absently shifted his water skin so that it would stop hitting him in the hip, and making noise as they moved on. after all there where still predators out there. human or not..

Kat Dakuu
hyperactive catdemon

Penpal

Old 05-14-2017, 08:35 PM

As Cain started up the sloped ground, his expression turned more serious. No more of the dramatic anger seemed to rule his body. Instead, he moved with sure steps, his ears and eyes attuned to the forest around him. Stepping past a sprig of large green leafs growing from a fern, he revealed the fluid grace in his muscles. His leather vest accented his shoulders, his upper arms laid bare until the tanned skin disappeared under his bracers. "We'll walk until an hour before sunset. We need to set up a camp before the sky darkens. Ah, I also want to document some of the sights in my journal," he murmured. Though he spoke to Nick, his words almost seemed more for himself. Since he never looked back, it appeared that he forgot the other man who decided to tag along. Still, Cain's entire aura felt more free and happy since they started walking again. He paused to feel the bark of a peculiar tree, eyes slipped closed for a half second as he ingrained the feel in his memory. No, Cain would never get lost in a place like this. He paid far too much attention, for more reason that just himself.

star2000shadow
☽⚝☾

Penpal

Old 05-14-2017, 09:56 PM

Nick fallowed along him on silent steps and watched what he did, slowly some of his own tension melted away. he'd forgotten how much he liked to travel..to not have so many people cluttered around him with needs and wants and orders. he let his own senses spread out his hearing able to go a mile, he'd long since learned how to tun out what was normal for the forest. though he could still track it if he had to, such as a predator or something dangerous to his health.. occasionally he'd close his eyes to just enjoy the sudden freedom he found around himself. for some reason this felt..right. walking through woods with cain.. familiar..but he'd never met the other before. so how could this feel so..familiar?

Kat Dakuu
hyperactive catdemon

Penpal

Old 05-16-2017, 04:07 PM

The pair walked through much of the day, enjoying the silence and the forest around them. Traveling with Nick wasn't so bad when he didn't say anything. Cain decided that after an hour passed. As they continued ticking by, he almost found himself enjoying the journey and the fact that another walked beside him. Somehow it felt familiar and just at ease. They settled into this kind of pace that felt honed and already sure. It didn't make sense, but Cain still hadn't figured it out by the time he noted the darkening in the tops of the trees. Having only stopped once for food and water, resting their legs for thirty minutes, he knew it was time to stop soon for camp.

Clearing his throat, he broke the silence for the first time since they set out. "We should start searching for a good spot to set up camp. Either by a waterbed or if we can find a cave," he murmured. Looking up at the trees again, he heard the slight shifting of sounds that signaled the shift of day creatures to night. Dark would fall soon. "One of us can set up for the night and the other can gather food."

star2000shadow
☽⚝☾

Penpal

Old 05-16-2017, 07:12 PM

Nick flicked his eyes to the other. he'd already been doing just that. "There's a cave a bit ahead of us.. in that direction.. maybe twenty to thirty footsteps ahead.." he pointed off tot he side. "and i can hear water by it.. or maybe its inside the cave I can't be to sure.." his voice held a relaxed note to it. even his movements where less harried. he felt.. centered for the first time in months. sure they could be attacked and such but..this felt..nice..sure and familiar but he kept shoving that thought off to the side. for one he'd never traveled with the other before, so how it could be familiar he didn't know.

Kat Dakuu
hyperactive catdemon

Penpal

Old 05-18-2017, 10:00 PM

Cain glared at Nick, miffed that he could know already just the perfect location that Cain planned to look for. Convenient yes, so they could spend more time setting up, but irksome. "How can you tell there's water that far away. I don't care how trained you are, no one can hear water in a cave that far away!" he huffed. Still, he started walking in the direction that Nick indicated. "Whatever. I'll get a fire going if you want to hunt. Let's check it out first though, since I don't believe you yet." Because why should he? And it was a principle of his not to agree so readily, especially with Nick.

star2000shadow
☽⚝☾

Penpal

Old 05-18-2017, 10:38 PM

Nick spoke calmly. "I'm not human, I have heightened senses, hearing, sight, and smell. I can hear half the damn forest if i focus on just that. it's like..if i focus i can dim the rest of my senses down and my hearing expands." his tone wasn't irritated or offended. he'd had more then a few of his tribe do that when he'd first joined them all those years ago. hell why should the other believe him? the closer they got tot he cave, a faint rushing could be heard, but it was easily missed if one wasn't listening for it. entering the cave the noise got louder and going further back, at the back of it, they'd find a stream that cut through the cave, Nick wrinkling his nose at the musty smell of the cave. no animal had used it in a while from the scent. "See. Enough water that we can gather some in water skins before we leave so that if we don't find another water source the next night we're still good." now he just had to find something big enough to give them food for the knight. he shed his pack and dug out a wooden strip from the side of the bag, and some thread from a pouch and began to string his bow for use. once he was set with an unfolded quiver full of arrows he'd unwrapped from a thick cloth that had wood in strategic places to keep the arrows in one piece settle don his back he left the cave to go hunting.

Kat Dakuu
hyperactive catdemon

Penpal

Old 05-20-2017, 02:04 PM

Cain's eyes widened and he spun, fixing Nick in a critical and slightly wary stare. This was the first time he'd heard this even though he commented multiple times that the other man seemed too different from himself. He could do things, and act in such a way. It made perfect sense and yet it still sent a shock right through Cain. Despite traveling as much as he had, he didn't think he met a single non-human that walked and talked like him. "Then..." Cain started, still too shocked to talk properly. "Then, what are you?" He finally finished the question once inside the cave as he stood by the entrance, watching Nick string his bow like nothing the least bit significant happened. Cain begged to differ, but this guy looked more than ready to move on and hunt. Cain should do his own chore, but he wanted answers first.

star2000shadow
☽⚝☾

Penpal

Old 05-20-2017, 05:52 PM

Nick flicked a look at him. Then shrugged. "I don't remember. I just know I can move faster then humans if i want, faster then most creatures if i put my mind to it, i have a higher sense of smell, sight and hearing..which believe me, while they come in handy they have their own problems.." such as he didn't like being in cities to much, all that humanity in one place, he tended to have to dial his hearing down low other wise he got one heck of a headache or 'ignore' as much of the nonthreatening noise as it was possible for him to do so. and scent..yeah walking into a room and being able to tell how long a person had lived there and exactly what had gone on for the past month...not fun. especially if a person was mated.. though he'd stopped blushing beat red upon doing so a few century's ago. well not century's maybe three? he'd been around since humanity lived in caves.. "I mean i bled red, like a human, but I'm not.. I have instincts I think close to a felines.. I guess.." his voice was uncomfortable but he kept talking.. "I can heal and I've got..gifts I guess.. i can help plants grow, heck i can grow one from a seed in a mater of minutes.." of course it always left him exhausted but it came in handy if there was a drought. it was how he'd kept his tribe, adopted or not, healthy.

Kat Dakuu
hyperactive catdemon

Penpal

Old 05-22-2017, 08:36 PM

Cain looked at the other man, flabbergasted. How could someone not know what species they were? Shouldn't that feel somewhat...innate? As much as he thought that, he knew it wasn't true though. He knew he was human because he was born among them and until he set off on his own, that was all he knew existed. "You've got to be kidding me..." he muttered. For a second he wracked his mind, looking for some species that might match Nick. Elf maybe? But all the mythologies he'd seen expressed pointed ears or wings of some sort. Not that he ever saw an elf. Cain groaned, giving up after a few seconds since he knew nothing with cat-like instincts that wasn't feline. "Why must you keep surprising me like this? I don't like it. I just wanted a normal human companion for a little while. No," he corrected himself. "I didn't want a companion at all. I really don't know what to do with you, Nick."

star2000shadow
☽⚝☾

Penpal

Old 05-22-2017, 10:45 PM

Nick flicked his eyes to the other warily. "Don't mean to be surprising. just happens. mostly i don't think about it. I've been alive for most of my villages generation.. and i don't even really remember when i came to them i just know i was injured from some fight and they took me in and healed me. in return i protected them and taught them how to fight so they could protect themselves." he shrugged. then continued working on unpacking, pulling out a metal, crude though it was, pot he dipped it into the stream, and carried it tot he mouth of the cave where he set it down before going into the edge of the woods to get some sticks to make a small fire to boil the water. he knew you never wanted to drink water directly from a stream or river, it could end in some becoming ill and though he never got ill he still fallowed the same precautions of his tribe.

Kat Dakuu
hyperactive catdemon

Penpal

Old 05-25-2017, 02:25 AM

Cain shook his head, switched to the real matter at hand when he saw Nick gather water and start to boil it. "Hey, you were doing the hunting. Let me do this kind of stuff or I won't have anything to do," he grouched. He snatched a few sticks away from Nick just to spite him. Because yes, he wanted to do this chore. Didn't he already claim making the fire and cave good for inhabiting? He just got distracted by Nick's other species-ness. Who could expect that after all. Plopping down in the faint dirt layer that covered the harder rock floor of the cave, Cain used his flint rock to start a fire with no issue, his shoulder turned toward Nick in a show of irritation. "Shouldn't you get going before it gets dark?" A little salty, but then, he had a lot to think about now.

star2000shadow
☽⚝☾

Penpal

Old 05-25-2017, 06:05 AM

Nick snorted in amusement and stood picking up his strung bow and heading out of the cave and into the woods, one moment he could be seen the next he disappeared from sight. he'd be gone for an hour before he came back with two furred bundles, both rabbits, Plus a small pouch he'd had in his pocket full of some fruits he knew to be safe for eating. he'd also gotten some leaves for tea making but those he planned for them to use in the morning.. the rabbits where already skinned and cup up into hunks so that all they had to do was put them over the fire. "Brought some food for the night. i'll go back out later when its darker and the larger animals come out to get something bigger to be used tomorrow .." he said companionably. trying to get that easy 'ignoring' of each other back. the one where they talked but not about anything to personal.

Kat Dakuu
hyperactive catdemon

Penpal

Old 05-28-2017, 02:45 PM

Seething slightly at Nick's amusement, Cain set about his work with an even more ferocious pace. He gathered enough sticks to keep the fire going even overnight. He needed hotter burning tender for cooking and the slow gentle burn for later. Once he had it, he boiled some water as well as collected leaf fronts to cover part of the entrance and keep out the animals and wind since the cave didn't go in very deep. It wouldn't do to sleep so close to the outdoors when they could manage to not. He just sat down to relax against the wall when Nick returned. "That looks good," Cain nodded back. Leaning forward, he kicked up the fire with a stick, watching the flames jump up with eagerness. "This is fine though. I have some bread in my bag so we can eat it with this and just focus on getting a good rest. I want to leave as soon as it's light enough to. I get the feeling that tomorrow's walk will be even longer. The ground is getting steeper."

star2000shadow
☽⚝☾

Penpal

Old 05-28-2017, 02:54 PM

Nick Settled down after tugging some metal like poles from his bag, they where crude but straight and when he Skewered hunks of meat on them and used two sticks he'd found while hunting that he stuck on ether side of the fire, the meat would rest just high enough not to burn but low enough that the heat from the fire would cook the food. then digging into his bags pouches,t here where several small ones along the side, he pulled out tied skins that he opened and used the herbs stored inside to season the meat. "Can't quite remember but i do know somewhere around here there's a mountain..I just haven't been to it in a while.." Read a few centuries. "So I'm not sure if that's where we're headed or not.." he'd have to do some meditation to refresh the memories and find out if they where or not. once their food was done he handed the hot pieces of meat and took his own. setting the pole tot he side on a stone to cool off. he'd have to wash it before they left the stream.

Kat Dakuu
hyperactive catdemon

Penpal

Old 05-29-2017, 04:21 PM

"Of course there is a mountain. Any seasoned traveler could tell from the terrain," Cain said with a shake of his head. "That's where we're heading because I that's the best destination isn't it? I intend to climb the mountain just to get to the top." It was a reasonable quest even if one that lacked a meaningful end goal. That wasn't why he wandered though. Once the meat finished cooking, he took his own share and carefully picked at it to avoid burning his tongue. The smokey flavor that the fire gave it warmed his mouth and he sighed with content. "Cooking like this really is better than any meal I can get at an inn. I miss the outdoor life almost as soon as I leave it!" he exclaimed as he leaned back against the wall. Sending Nick a rueful grin, he bit into his rabbit. "What about you?"