April Fool Romance
⊙ω⊙

Old 07-26-2007, 05:31 PM

Oh man. I loooove my OCs.
But I never roleplay with them. They're too precious for that(cause I don't roleplay often or stick to one for very long). They have to be in a story.
I've put so much detail, time, and thought to them.

Most of my OCs start off from an idea I have for a story which is what they revolve around but it's only that one part of their life that makes the hugest impact. I rarely ever draw a random character and then apply them to a story. I only do that when I want to make a role play character.

When I make a character that I really cherish, I make up the story first and then draw how the character would best fit the personality and whatever else I've included in the story or the character's life, etc.

Sometimes it's a long process because I keep adding more or because I have to hand write it(which is a pain in the ass cause ideas are coming at me like lightning lol). I don't get crazy awesome ideas all the time so when I do, I take advantage of it and pull out one of my huge notebooks and start jotting it down and brainstorming for my next lovely :3

I have only one male character pretty much fully developed, character-wise and story-wise. My other male character is semi-finished. I don't know where else to lead him just yet because he's intertwined with one of my absolutely favorite OCs and she's the main character in the story. My other favorite is a woman late in her twenties and she carries around the coffin of her dead husband. If you've read this and want to know, PM me :D
Then my last OC that I kinda threw together, she's just fun because she barely has any drama and she's a complete whore XD I already know her death is of STDs. Awesome.

Swansong
The mene ditcher

Old 07-26-2007, 05:50 PM

I have three OC's, my first OC started off as a fan character but then developed her own style,story,and personality that she became my female lead for whatever there story ends up being made into (Manga or story). Then the villan was created and then my main male lead.

I have no idea where or what they are for but they are the best characters I have ever made~!

Stereo
⊙ω⊙

Old 07-26-2007, 09:49 PM

I have... hundreds.

I'm rarely very attached to my characters - for roleplays, I pretty much create a new one every time I go into a new roleplay - that being about 3 per week, propably.

I have several consistent character... almost 'templates' that I use and repeat from one character and the next, changing the details but keeping a similar personality. Sometimes these templates themselves have names, those being either the first character I had like that, or the name I use most often for that kind of character.

So in essence, I can have two characters with a completely different back story, appearance, even major changes in personality, social status, etc,etc - but essentially still be 'from the same mould'. xP

it's kinda funny 'cause I don't really do it consiously. Sometimes it's only a while into a roleplay that I realise just which mould a certain one comes from.

Spatterdash
⊙ω⊙

Old 07-27-2007, 04:23 PM

Usually they're characters from stories I've written or (far more likely) am planning to write one day eventually when I've worked it all out properly. I like sketching out my fictional characters as it gives me a nice mental image to work with. That and sometimes they look quite cool.
I write a lot less than I used to, though, and the cast of my ongoing, perpetually changing project that'll probably be completed in decades' time is currently quite small and less visually interesting than it once was, now it's been stripped of its sillier elements.
Still, I draw much more fanart than I used to, which compensates and gives me something else to draw.

IndiGlo
⊙ω⊙

Old 07-29-2007, 01:49 AM

If I have a peace of paper anywhere near me...chances are the drawing is an original character. They all have their little stories based on how they look. The character develops the stories for me, not the other way around.
I'm also prone to being inconsistent so there is a new character for each blank space on any paper. At one point I was going to draw all my OC's on one piece of paper.....I only ended up with 30 or so....I have STACKS.
Darn you you accursed over active imagination!

Ahmuhmia
Dead Account Holder
Send a message via AIM to Ahmuhmia Send a message via MSN to Ahmuhmia

Old 07-29-2007, 06:18 PM

Well, I'm always creating unique characters, but there has been about 5 that I always go back to.

They are just characters that I make up in my mind.
I don't really know how I will use them in what story or whatever, but I like drawing the characters.

And with other people's creativity.
I always find people making the cliche gothy OC's.
Or angel or demon or something lame like that.
I'd like to see more diversity some time.

I've seen a lot of great OC's in my time though.
It just depends on the quality and imagination of the artist.

Yinneh-dono
(-.-)zzZ

Old 07-30-2007, 02:57 AM

I create Ocs that interact with each other [ in my mind ] to entertain myself.[Especially if I'm bored! *cough*math class*cough*]

Each Oc is unique to me. I don't use referances of already made manga/anime. It just comes from my head, the picture of the character I wish to create and they have their own stories to tell.

The Ocs have their own personalities[quite loveable/fun personalities at that >w<]

I have over 50 ocs > 3<

The type of ocs I HATE are the Mary-sue Gary stu kinds[Like an angel/demon character made for an already published[?] thing like Harry Potter, Kingdoms hearts, etc etc.

Luumi
*^_^*

Old 07-31-2007, 08:25 PM

I have many, many OCs. Normally, they're just the characters I draw the most. If I have an idea for an outfit, there's a 99% chance I'll draw an OC wearing it. My OCs range from humanoid fantasy creatures to otherworldly wolves and birds. Some are elves, some are species I've come up with myself. I can't remember the last time I had a 100% human OC.

Although lately I've been coming up with a story, so I draw the characters from there a lot. It gives me a better view on their personalities and how I should write about them.

cupcakette
⊙ω⊙

Old 08-01-2007, 04:12 PM

I have a couple OCs, but i go through them really quickly. I don't really roleplay them, but i lovelovelove buying art for them D: i mainly just like creating characters, designing outfits...etcetc. That type of stuff. My most recent character was inspired by harry potter xD. I just finished the last book and i was totally going through a HP phase at the moment i created her. I do like her though. My friend created a HP character of her own, so we're both trying to find a decent harry potter roleplay that doesn't involve anime characters with dragon vaginas and cat ears.

My other characters of the moment are just everyday heroes i guess. My friend was thinking about creating a comic that involved superpowerz and stuff...so once again i was inspired to create my own line of superhuman characters. One is a little girl that can bring objects to life and manipulate them, another is a medium and my favorite is a 'blind' clairvoyant that can really see, but she doesn't realize it.

akanekun
(-.-)zzZ

Old 08-05-2007, 08:28 AM

I have a lot (probably 100+) of OCs, all related to different stories. Have about two main stories (well. one and the extra flavor of the moment, more or less) and tons of little ideas just floating around with various characters and such. What bothers me about story generation is that once I get deep into it - script, world setting, plot details, events, etc. - I start losing interest because it either becomes too complicated or just fails to look as I thought it would in my head.

It just comes down to needing more concept before committing to specific designs, and it just so happens that the personality doesn't get developed enough for me to want to keep going. Sort of a personal catch-22, likely put in place by my general laziness. So yeah. I guess one of my main goals (eventually) is to go around finishing all the different projects I've started.

Never really did understand fan-OCs (set in an established franchise) since all of my roleplaying was done in d&d. They tend to (not all, of course) have the bad habit of looking like rejected designs from the series, which is sad considering the time and effort their creators put into it. For comics/fanart it's not as bad since it's one out of many, but when people spent days upon months upon years on that one character roleplaying it just seems like an amazing amount of dedication to something you can't completely call your own due to it belonging in a specific universe. And they're terribly creative people too! It'd be wonderful to see their own worlds, I guess. XD Sorry for the tangent.

khomi
⊙ω⊙

Old 08-16-2007, 07:10 PM

I have a handful of OCs who all relate to one story. With one main one out of those.

And then I have a couple that are independent of each other.

I really wish I had the time to draw all of them. XD;

RaspberryBuckets
(-.-)zzZ

Old 08-28-2007, 08:01 AM

I have two OCs.

Both are relatively new -- and totally different from each other.

The oldest is a male character that came along as I was finishing up a major history research project at school on irish immigrants and labor in the mid to late 1800s and early 1900s. I just had an urge to make a character based off what I was researching. And thus Shane was born. I haven't done much with him since that moment, but I still consider him an OC. :] He's kind of like the embodiment of my research paper, haha.

My second OC is a woman named Sophia Pallas -- a researcher/information gatherer from a gang rp I participate in. I love her to bits. She has so much personality. She has a thing for socks too. :3

mystic kiwi
(っ◕‿◕)&...
Send a message via AIM to mystic kiwi

Old 08-28-2007, 08:49 AM

I have no idea how many I have to tell you the truth. A lot of them just come out the way they are because I randomly sketch random girls only, in most cases. I have done characters like an anthro flareon and umbreon from a pokemon fan fiction I’ve written and that’s about all the characters from actual stories that I actually got around to sketching. I would have to say that the design that changes most over time was Candy, who was an anthro flareon, but that was mostly because my drawing style changed and I liked her a lot better than the anthro umbreon, Kitty.

aliira
(-.-)zzZ

Old 09-13-2007, 01:21 AM

i have one...maybe as many as 3 but i dont do much with them besides make stories in my head : P

...ive only attempted to draw them once or twice i think

Soda
Sodipop

Old 10-08-2007, 05:54 AM

I have a lot and a lot of variations of my OCs. Basically I revolve the realm or wolds as L'Altra Vita.

Its a wide source of creative things I input it into. Short stories, my Art, and most notably L'altra Vita's series of Video game's. I'm basically a solo game developer/hobbiest or what ever you may want to call it. Main characters and different worlds are involved wich I'm not about to go into detail lol.

... Regardless I'm likely to post some things relating to it on Menewsha as a friend has all ready basically bullied me into doing lol. Most likely I'll be posting Jericho in the literatures area and maybe some sketches... regardless Perhaps anyone will take interest who knows xD

Iro
Lurker

Event Coordinator
Send a message via AIM to Iro

Old 10-08-2007, 10:47 AM

I have many. REALLY many. I'd have to say more than a hundred. And those are my permanent OCs that are actually important. Not the minor ones people sometimes use for progress, if you get what I mean.

I have been creating OCs ever since I was 9. My initial designs were of course, not very excellent, but a few of of my first OCs I brought with me till now (I am 19 this year), modifying and keeping them updated till I feel happy with them. I have been working on several series. And there was one particular series (which I actually started with a friend and he story base now lasts through 5 generations), SAORA (derived from SOMEthing OR RAther). It is, from the implication of it's name source, crack. XD
But for that series alone, there were about 80+ characters. I can remember their names, trust me. I was the ONLY artist and character designer (but some with help, of course) of that series. =o=;

Then I have my own personal one which only 2 people, I believe are aware about (bless them if they have forgotten, I don't blame them). It is my ZLAYE series, and it has some of my most treasured and important characters there, as well as two of my alter egos, past and present.

I do not like creating fan characters, although I sometimes insert my own characters (as one was a Dimension Drifter *cough) in series in my mind to entertain myself and for *coughmatchmakingcough*.
I absolutely dislike Mary Sues and Gary Stus, like I'm sure many people do as well. Even when I insert my OC into an existing series, I usually avoid throwing them into impossible relationships like the usual, there's a new guy/girl (self-insertion) in town, fav character falls for him/her, jealous canon boyfriend/girlfriend, OC wins, yay, end of story. T__T

Well, yes, you get my point. I love my OCs very much, though. ^_^
I often use them for online IDs as well. This particular username is an exception, as it is my ONLY online username that is not after one of my OCs. I code my online nicknames according to the type of place I'm signing up to. It makes it easier to remember, one, and for avatar sites, it's fun to try to dress up like your OC. ;)

Starshine
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Old 10-08-2007, 11:55 AM

I have 5 OCs that have detailed stories to them, and someday I'd like to link all their stories into a novel.

Its great for writing practice to have OCs you are familiar with, and its fun to develop their characters. You end up getting quite attached to them.

I do use them for role play sometimes, but I'm too tardy a person to participate in any role play for long.

Eserel
8U CHARGIN MA LAZERS

Old 10-09-2007, 12:26 AM

I have around thirty to forty characters. XP They all go in my short stories and most of them are bits and pieces of me. I do use most of them in roleplays. But at any given minute, I can make another charrie. Thats my problem, I can't stop. XD

Ferra
ᕕ(ᐛ)ᕗ

Old 10-09-2007, 04:31 AM

I voted low since there are plenty I've never really "used" or at least haven't in quite sometime. Also, a good portion of the OCs that care about/seek art of are ones I don't take credit for, since they were created by my friends for a group story. We all helped in developing the lot of them though. :3 As for my personal OCs, I only have around three that I have developed to a point/have some art of.

As for the purpose, it initially started with RPs. Few of my old characters are worth mentioning though. For the group story, we never really RPed, but whenever we got together we'd discuss what else might happen in the story should a different situation arise. It was a bit like having our own language, which led to some hurt feelings when new friends got confused. ^^;

And originality? I'd like to think I strive for characters who aren't "just another one of those" types. Then again, my main OC Brody is most ways just an ordinary guy. But I suppose in the world of crazy fantasy OCs, ordinary is exotic. XD

PS - If you're the same Audley from deviantART, then I really love your character designs. :3 I'm always pleased to see commissions of them pop up in my inbox.

littleaes
ʘ‿ʘ
Send a message via AIM to littleaes Send a message via MSN to littleaes Send a message via Yahoo to littleaes

Old 10-10-2007, 06:47 PM

Let's see... I have many OCs, most of which are from stories I write and then roleplay with to get to know them better in my head. I can name 5 that I use often, right off the back. Linear, Little (strictly roleplay nowadays), Miyu, Agnes and Angelien. I had some male ones, but I mostly just write them- don't really roleplay them too much. I've had help developing Little's story by far from people I roleplay with. She's very bizarre... Not like many I've seen. But in a way, she's a bunch of people's ideas put together, so that makes sense.

The designs of my characters, both physical and mentality, change rather often. I think Little and Miyu have been changed a rough 5 times at least over the past couple years. Linear doesn't change too much, but I haven't used her enough for her to change. The point of my OCs though? I'd say they just move stories along... And act as my conscience xD

Admonish Misconstruction
\ (•◡•) /

Old 10-11-2007, 01:25 AM

I have tons, and most are formed from RP's as I continue to build my character throughout them.

Two I've worked on a and completed are Shade, Winter, and David.

But Winter is always a quirky sort of guy, a gentleman and usually a killer or something rather violent, which I believes goes well with his rather strange personality.

Now Shade was a character that I worked with for about two years, and turned out quite interesting. A have a multi page history, and different little side things that I can put together, but he's completely finished. A more serious character, a medieval character.

While Winter is a full out character, can be fit into most RP's stories, from modern day to medieval, etc, etc. David is only a modern day character by the way.

Just a Quick history of David, and David always is pretty much the same, slight differences of course to story or RP. David is almost complete, I would post his personality but thats a very, very long post. And also his military career and younger life, but posting the descriptive version would take forever.

Raised in of a Texas family, in a busy city called Dallas. Here he grew up, a semi-normal life. His parents worked full time jobs all year round, leaving him neglected. Spending the summers alone and miserable. Finally he was eighteen, free but broke no money to his name. Confused, wondering what to do for his life. He joined the army, they put him through college, gave him room and board but for the price of serving four years. During these years of service his ability came out, his ability to kill. A borne killer his officers said and it was true. Not long after he was transferred from his original position in the Navy Seals CT division to an underground in the black group. This group was funded under CT (counter-terrorist unit) and the CIA. This group was called the Black Hounds, lead by man they called ‘Mr. Smith’. Mr. Smith was a warrior, a true fighter. Their body’s where tested, and their minds. They went through more training, training of the mind, and body. Few new about the Black Hounds, only ones with the top most security clearance would ever know about their existence. After the next few years he was trained harder and more. The Black Hounds jobs where of high importance to the government, taking down rogue agencies, and taking down terrorists. The government was stupid; they never did let anybody in on the group. Exceptional he was called but he didn't like his work, the army was not what he wanted. His escape was not all that hard. After time his list of contacts had grown, and already being a man with nothing more then a name he ran away. It worked well, several months later the group went rogue, leaving the government to go after them, not him. His team destroyed most of the documents holding their identities, all the easier for David to stay hidden. This new life wasn’t much different then his last. Odd jobs for different groups, though he always worked for the highest bidder.

Now Shade and Winter our still a work in progress, and also they change a lot, so I'm not going to put them down. I might later when I have time to write them XD.

Ista

Old 10-11-2007, 08:54 PM

I love to draw and so I love to make OCs so that I have more stuff to draw. My OCs come from RPGs, from television, books, or from my own stories.

They are usually all connected in some ways, usually personifications of things, like: time, energy, universe, fire, etc. Things that don't have a human form.

Most of my characters are never known to others and the stories I write are mainly just for me but I could probably (and have before) create a full 52 card deck with a character on each card and still have a ton of characters left over.

whitebeast
(ó㉨ò)

Old 10-12-2007, 02:24 AM

My OCs are mostly from my stories.

Though I have some floating OCs who are from RPs I had with my ex. I can't RP as them much anymore as most of their personality and what not have been derived from there so I find it difficult to start all over again but I am...slowly, but surely.

I have a lot as I had that RP but if I didn't, I prolly wouldn't have so much. Simply have story OCs.

The bad thing is my imagination is so fertile, I have new ideas all the time.

...Such a vicious cycle. I envy those who are able to finish their plots and work on the next one soon after.

Ai-Chan
(-.-)zzZ

Old 10-12-2007, 03:41 AM

I geuss that they just come to you over time. After yu create them, I guess that you look at them and go, Hey this will make it better! And slowly you mold it out to what you want it to be. Just let your creative side take over! Then the possibilities just open up to you! Well, thats my thnig anyway. Differnet people use different methods so mine is just one of many many many styles. I'm sure others will give you other opinions so just keep with it, Okay! (Sorry about the poor grammar)

tanhuitian
⊙ω⊙
Send a message via AIM to tanhuitian Send a message via MSN to tanhuitian Send a message via Yahoo to tanhuitian

Old 10-12-2007, 03:01 PM

I have four original characters at the moment - Lucifer Janus, Alexandra Wraith, Takeshinya Rei and Takeshinya Ryu. Their sole purpose is to exist in my writings. :3

I tend to focus on only the characters in my current projects. Previously, the story I was working on had different characters, whose names I can barely remember. (Pardon my short-term memory.)

Creating OCs is a "spur of a moment" thing for me. Inspiration comes, and I work upon it almost immediately. Starts daydreaming, thinking up circumstances to put those character in, and a story pops out.