ElysiumFate
There is beauty everywhere.

Old 04-23-2013, 03:30 AM

I've mostly studied Spanish, Vox. To this day I can read most Spanish and I can get a general jist of what people are saying. I do want to go buy a text book and study it myself again to become fluent.

serena yuy
Cat Whisperer
Send a message via AIM to serena yuy Send a message via MSN to serena yuy

Old 04-23-2013, 04:21 AM

Once I finally have some time on my hands where I'm not crying or cursing school, while doing school work. I'd like to pick up my Finnish lessons again.

I have to teach myself this language since well.. I live in Western/Upstate NY. Who in the area speaks that language?
My reason to do so: My boyfriend and I are planning on going over there for a trip and this way I can get us by kind of. I'll do my best and they'll be happy I tried if I flub up and explain that I'm not from there and wanted to make an attempt so I didn't seem like an asshole American who won't bother to learn some of the language of the country they're visiting. ^^"
No offense to some people ^^"

ElysiumFate

Old 04-23-2013, 04:30 AM

Yeah, I hate it when foreigners go to another country and don't even bother to learn how to ask and understand directions or ask where the bathroom is or something. Jeeze.

That's why I don't blame people for hating the Mexicans who come here and live here for 30 years without even learning how to say hi instead of "hola." I don't care they're here, but learn the damn language if you intend to stay.

LonelyOtaku97
(^._.^)ノ

Old 04-23-2013, 01:36 PM

My mom says the same thing Ely. Living in a trailor park with alot of hispanic people I notice that alot of them don't speak english.

Bound Birdie
Mistress of Mischief and Mayhem

Old 04-24-2013, 01:59 AM

I just don't understand how you don't just pick it up after being surround it by for that long O.o I know a lot of spanish just by what I hear and pick up how do they not do the same? When I got to china town and stuff not being able to read the sign drives me CRAZY, I mean I get stuff with body language and context at times but, I have to have a translation through book or something at lest.

serena yuy
Cat Whisperer

Old 04-24-2013, 02:12 AM

I don't get it either because I picked up some Finnish just from watching some shows in English with Finnish subtitles, and pick some up watching the movies I have with English subtitles. I'm not even in Finland and I picked up some just from tv. and some music.

LonelyOtaku97
(^._.^)ノ

Old 04-24-2013, 02:25 AM

Yeah I couldn't really pick up on another language either. I tried learning Italian once, and it didn't go very well.

ElysiumFate

Old 04-24-2013, 02:34 AM

I've picked up some basic Japanese from watching anime for several years.

I'm sure they've picked some up, they're just too stubborn to use it sometimes. I know people get upset about it and call it racist, but learn the damn language. Jeeze. You don't have to be like a native English speaker, but seriously. If you want to be here, let alone anywhere, you should make an effort to belong there.

LonelyOtaku97
(^._.^)ノ

Old 04-24-2013, 02:36 AM

Yeah alot of the international students know english.

Bound Birdie

Old 04-24-2013, 02:39 AM

This is why everyone should just be forced to learn Esperanto as a second language at a young age. I can't understand why it was never implemented in schools.

But Yeah I know a lot of little stuff from lots of languages from music and TV also I made sure to learn "food, bathroom, where" things like that if I think I am going some where that will be mostly none english.
I get in like China town or some places that it's like basically mexico (like parts of pueblo) where's there's no one else speaking english but yeah don't make your four year old translate your taco bell order to me I hate that.

ElysiumFate

Old 04-24-2013, 02:40 AM

Most international students I've met speak flawless English. Sometimes they've got one hell of a heavy accent that makes you go "what" every few words, but they do know exactly what they're saying.

English and French are pretty standard second and third languages for people in foreign countries. It's just the U.S. that's lame and doesn't make learning languages a required thing.

---------- Post added 04-23-2013 at 08:41 PM ----------

@Birdie: One, what the heck is Esperanto and why should it be required? And two, yeah. That's always made me laugh a bit. How the heck does a parent have a kid going to school who is learning fluent English or what have you and not pick it up?

Bound Birdie

Old 04-24-2013, 03:01 AM

LOL Esperanto is a language that was invented specifically for the purpose of being a universal second language. It has many elements draw from the pre existing languages and is basically built out of cognates so it is fairly easy and quick to learn. SO if everyone was taught in (like everyone in the whole world) as there second language then it wouldn't matter where you went you would never need a translator because you could just speak Esperanto. Plus some things don't translate exactly or thing of huge world meetings where there's like nine different translators trying to play the telephone game with each other. Why can't we all just speak, English, Spanish, French, whatever for your first and then if you came across someone that doesn't you can just start talking in Esperanto.
BUT it never caught on because people were like "That's just english now" but it's not because A English is a ridiculously difficult language to speak properly, and while I don't think it's to much to expect you to learn some basic phrases in a few years, I know being fluent in another languages is another matter. Not to mention our spelling is idiotic at times, where Esperanto is literally designed for simplicity and easy of use. soo yeah PLUS it has that lovely nutraltiy of not being bais towards any one culture, it truly is a language of all the world.

Last edited by Bound Birdie; 04-24-2013 at 03:04 AM..

serena yuy
Cat Whisperer

Old 04-24-2013, 04:09 AM

English sucks as a language.

Yeah, I know a lot of and work with a lot of international students from China and India. and they know very good english, but have a heavy accent.

Sorry for the typos. I'm in the don't give a fuck phase of the semester.

---------- Post added 04-24-2013 at 12:14 AM ----------

A lot of countries make them start learning English or another language at younger ages. Some countries have them learning in 2 languages from within the 2nd year of Primary school. By the end of Compulsory education, they know 3 languages.

Bound Birdie

Old 04-24-2013, 04:16 AM

lol no worries I also noticed chromes spell check doing some really wonky stuff lately
I'll go and re-read something and be like where did that come from? o.O

ElysiumFate

Old 04-24-2013, 04:26 AM

Omg, that's brilliant. Why did this never catch on? Like...wow. Excuse me while I go find somewhere to sit and contemplate this brilliance. It might take awhile.

Chrome's spellcheck also is missing a lot of words. I think I have a larger vocabulary than it does.

Bound Birdie

Old 04-24-2013, 04:52 AM

Yeah it's amazing how a group of people can actually come up with a pretty ingenious solution to a real problem and people are just like "Meh, I think it's a good idea but it takes to much work to implement it" I'm just like O.O seriously how lazy are you?
I had a friend that spoke it for a while and I learned it then and spoke it with her, but I get no practice because no one else has even heard of it XD

well it doesn't have words or lately it's been changing the word entirely or it has been like "no you mean these two words right?"
Kinda makes me feel like bill burr's bit about spell check "DUDE I have ALL the words, and that doesn't look like any of them! did you pass out and bang your head on the keyboard or something?" XD

ElysiumFate

Old 04-24-2013, 05:20 AM

Meh, I think a lot of issues are like that. I think there are several major problems in the world that have been solved but people don't want to take the time to implement them. Like replenishable fuel sources and clean water for third world countries, and things like that.

For me it won't like certain forms of a word, and then I'll go look it up and google's like: nope, it's a real word, it's in all the dictionaries, but google spellcheck is all: NO, I don't wanna. You speak foreign language stupid.