Captain Howdy
L'Enfant Terrible

Assistant Administrator

Old 04-17-2013, 03:18 AM

TAKE TWO

Just a little less than 30 minutes to get your entries in for Day One.

Yes, I double posted. I can do that. I'm godlike.

fireprincess
A Dream Is A Wish Your Heart Mak...

Penpal

Old 04-17-2013, 03:23 AM

Will we find out what the creatures actually are?

Cardinal Biggles
Patron Saint of Pigeons🌙

Send a message via Yahoo to Cardinal Biggles

Old 04-17-2013, 04:27 AM

We could tell you... Though why not ask your fellow users? Get some speculation going :D

pollik17
*^_^*

Old 04-17-2013, 04:37 AM

This is Day One
This creature is a pellicius hyacinthum luscus simia (Furry Blue-Eyed Monkey).
This is its story:
Around 6pm this day, I felt very bored, so I decided to explore more about Duval. I heard that Lise was planning to go to a place called the Boden mines, so I asked the locals if they know where to find it, then eventually I found the place Lise was talking about. It surely was a creepy place, filled with dirt, cobwebs and old mining materials. Before I went inside the cave, I met a local named Uncle Pete, who is also the caretaker of the mine. He advised me that I should bring a flashlight because even though the mine has somewhat a bit of light from the lamps he set in there, it was not enough to light up the whole mine. He also handed me a booklet containing information about the mine.
As I started to enter the mine, I felt very uneasy because it seems that someone or something has been watching me. I went deeper to the mines where only my flashlight was the only source of light I have. My feet happen to bump into this little creature which caused it to be afraid and to run away. It ran very fast, as if it was an antelope, but I managed to follow its direction going to a huge room filled with hundreds of these creatures.
They have two short arms and hands for climbing or picking up things and four longer legs and small pointed feet for walking or running. Their body are coated with wool-like skin that shines, when flashed by light. I took out the booklet Uncle Pete gave me and looked for the picture of this creature that I just saw. It says that these creatures are called the pellicius hyacinthum luscus simia or commonly called by the locals as the Furry Blue-Eyed Monkey. They love living in caves or dark places and hate going to places with light and they only go out during nighttime because they become temporarily blind when their eyes are exposed to bright light. They also have a keen sense of smell that helps them hunt for food. Usually, they eat bugs and insects, but sometimes they prefer hunting for small fishes and crabs. They have sharp teeth for chewing their food and a long sticky tongue, similar to a frog’s tongue, for catching their food from afar.
I approach the monkey that I found earlier to observe more about it. It seems that it was just a little baby and it went to its parents. I tried to get a little bit nearer, but accidentally the light from my flashlight shone directly to the baby’s eyes, so it uttered a small, sharp cry. Its parents screeched loudly in response, along with the other monkeys. I felt very nervous and afraid, so I stood up and started walking away. To my horror, their eyes glowed brightly and started chasing after me, so I ran as fast as I could to leave the mine. I can see those sharp teeth they have while they were chasing me. I was very lucky to be able to run on to Uncle Pete. He was holding a torch, which he used to drive away those creatures. I learned that fire is a very useful weapon against those monkeys, because their bodies are covered with oil and that oil is the reason why their bodies shine when exposed to light.
This is the end of my first adventure here in Duval, but I heard there are lots of different creatures here, I hope to see more of them soon before we leave this place...

---------- Post added 04-17-2013 at 12:42 PM ----------

oh... why oh why my entry was not added to the entries T^T

Shishunki
=w=/

Old 04-17-2013, 06:04 AM

*raises hand adamantly* Oh oh oh! I know what the first one is Professor Biggles~!
May I please tell the class?

Last edited by Shishunki; 04-17-2013 at 06:06 AM..

Cardinal Biggles
Patron Saint of Pigeons🌙

Old 04-17-2013, 06:10 AM

Go ahead, Shishunki

Shishunki
=w=/

Old 04-17-2013, 06:40 AM

*beams*
Ah hem. The first answer was the "(Vegetable) Lamb of Tartary".

In the Middle Ages, it was believed that cotton came from a plant like sheep. This creature was said to grow from the ground, like a plant. But once it sprouted, it was very much like the animal. The most noticeable difference between regular sheep is the Lamb of Tartary was still attached to the ground by a stem, so the lamb was quite restricted in it's movement. It would eat all the plants it could reach, and then would wither away leaving only bits of it's "wool" behind. It was said to have blood and bones like the animal, but taste different than regular lamb and once passed on it's blood would taste like honey.

Various artists and hoaxers have attempted to recreate this creature, and that is the example we see for our first creature.
*bows*

Edit: Sorry. ^^; I got a little over excited. I don't often get to share this learned information.

Last edited by Shishunki; 04-17-2013 at 06:47 AM..

hummy
Little birdie ♥

Penpal

Old 04-17-2013, 07:22 AM

This is Day Two
This creature is a(n):Quackalope
This is its story:The unique animal hails from down under and is quite populous. he has been know to steal the family house pet right out of your back yard, with out so much as a g'day mate! when this animal is cornered, since they are not the swiftest of animals, they puff up their fluffy coat and stripped tail to become twice his size. this can attract the females of the species and they happily will amuse the fairer of the species for up to four hours! anything longer can be a problem and a vet should be consulted. seems size really does matter! their litters then to be born in multiples of twins and usually it is one female and one male. the male of the species will stay with the family and will not mate with another female his whole life.

Last edited by hummy; 04-17-2013 at 07:28 AM..

twotickets
full of sound and fury (you know...

Old 04-17-2013, 08:58 AM

This is Day Two
This creature is a(n): Geomana Capra; colloquially, "Horned Water-Gerbil" or "The rat that swims"

This is its story: This diminutive creature thrives on land and in lakes and ponds. Well-known for its high-pitched shrieks, the horned water-gerbil is shunned by human society and is often exterminated as a pest. The horned water-gerbil prefers to live in underground burrows or under tree roots as close to water as possible, as it is an easily frightened creature and cannot run very easily.

The horned water-gerbil primarily eats minnows, water lilies, and insects, but it sometimes supplements this diet with small fish, which the horned water-gerbil catches using its tail as bait, as the tail takes on a worm-like appearance underwater. The horned water-gerbil can hold its breath for up to sixty seconds.

In the spring, male horned water-gerbils fight for dominance and the right to mate using their short, straight horns. Given the awkward placement of these horns, the horned water-gerbils fight back-to-back, wildly swinging their heads in a way that has often been called "head-banging to rock." The horned water-gerbil loses its horns every year, and humans have taken to collecting these horns for use in aphrodisiacs and edgy modern art.

Mythos
deimoni isos

Old 04-17-2013, 09:09 AM

This is Day Two
This creature is a(n): Platyped rocerdenti (Common name: Wetnosed chattering grump)
This is its story: Rare across the globe except for on the island of Duval where it is quite common, especially along inland streams, this flat-footed rodent is perhaps one of the most notorious challenges to hiking on the island due to it's highly aggressive behavior. They are herbivorous with a particular taste for rushes and woody nuts and have adopted a rather ingenious method to open these nuts by crushing them under flat stones.

They mate for life and have an elaborate courtship routine requiring the building of dams and creating a trail leading to said dam using colorful vegetation. Female grumps are meant to follow these to the dam and assess the male's building skills. If she approves then they mate but if she does not approve it is not uncommon for her to unceremoniously headbutt the structure to oblivion.

Wetnosed chattering grump communities are not limited by size, and often balloon after a short time into large colonies. These colonies are defended by a sizable percentage of their number against any larger animals that might be seen as a threat to their group. While they do not move quickly due to the configuration of their legs and feet, the sheer number of alerted grumps to an intruder is certainly cause for alarm. Should they become close enough to such a target, it is standard practice to give them a few head butts as a warning before teeth become involved.

These creatures have never been successfully domesticated and all attempts to do so have resulted in grump communities centralized over parkland not too far from the household that made such attempt. These communities have required specialized teams to relocate the grumps so that they no longer attack the local children.

twotickets

Old 04-17-2013, 10:25 AM

Mythos, I really love your story! It made me laugh.

Ling
The Daydreamer
Penpal

Old 04-17-2013, 12:02 PM

This is Day Two
This creature is a(n): Webbed feet Beaver
This is its story: The Webbed feet Beaver is a small rodent-like beaver with long ears which give it excellent hearing. It lives near water like most beavers but doesn't build dams, instead it digs a labyrinth of tunnels much like ants. All this digging of tunnels makes the ground weak and often heavier creatures would cause the tunnels to collapse.

Mythos
deimoni isos

Old 04-17-2013, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twotickets View Post
Mythos, I really love your story! It made me laugh.
Back at you! The idea of a group of these little guys head banging... oh man. xD

Velvet
☆♥☆♥

Penpal

Old 04-17-2013, 01:19 PM

This is Day Two
This creature is a(n): Draggonis Cygaslpes ( Drag-gon-is Ci-gas-lisp)

This is its story: The Draggonis Cygaslpes (Swadraver) is a charming creature that spends a great amount of time in the fresh water lakes and rivers of Duval. It is a very good swimmer, paddling with its large, scaly, swan-like feet. When they are on land they spend their days roaming the hills of grass by the river side, collecting their meals and taking it back to their family. It is the female's job to get the food, while the male lazes around and watches the kids. Their home is unique in the fact that they live in a burrow that starts under water. When an adult Swadraver is seeking to build a home, she (because females always build the home and a male will eventually move in) observes the river banks for a concealing coverage over the mud, like tree roots, moss, or tall grass. She the dives nearly to the bottom and begins the journey of carving the tunnels. Being a mammal, the Swadraver can only hold her breath for twenty minutes at a time, so it takes a few trips to get the tunnel started, but once it is started, it doesn't take hardly anytime at all.

Tunnel Making Process: She uses her sharp claws and teeth to start making a small hole into the side of the river wall. Once she is in far enough she finds four sticks that around about the same size and she places one on top and the bottom horizontally and two on the sides of the opening vertically to mark her dam and help support it from caving in at the opening. Deeper and deeper she digs her tunnel, slowly moving upwards and while her teeth and claws are digging their way through, her large back feet are widening the tunnel as she swims through. Finally, her tunnel breaks above the surface of the water, but still underground and completely hidden. She digs out a many different tunnels in her home system, some dry, some leading into other parts of the water in case escape is necessary. Once she carves out a dry spot that she feels comfortable enough with she begins building a nest made out of straw, clay, grass, leaves, and her own fur. The places this nest to the side of the dry part of the tunneled circle and in the middle she stacks on small stones and rocks in a circle, leaving the middle empty and dry. Of course all this takes time and she has to constantly go in and out of the opening in the water. Finally, using her own instinct and skill she is able to pinpoint the exact location of her tunnel while above ground and using a long stick, she begins to drive a small hole into the ground that opens right above where she built the small stone circle. Gathering more grass and twigs, she takes them to her tunnel and places them into the center of the stone circle where she will allow them to dry off and using a very neat feature, start a small fire.

Abilities: Digging, foraging, swimming, building homes and structures, butting heads with their horns, and fire breathing. Wait.. what? Yes, you heard right. This creature can cause a spark of fire to instantaneously come out of her mouth. Only females can fire breathe for some reason. It does have a purpose though.

The Young: Swadraver couples mate and then the female lays eggs. Though she is a mammal, she will lay eggs in the nest the made for them. She incubates the eggs by starting a small fire in the designated area which warms the entire tunnel. This is why they never migrate and never worry about random cold fronts which would kill the sensitive eggs. After incubating for 16 weeks, the small ones finally break through the shell using the tiny nubs of the horns that have started growing and search for their mommy so they can feed on the milk she has developed just for them. When they are of age to learn how to forage and swim, the mother puts them up to a true test. She guides them to the opening of the tunnel which is way underwater and it is simply up to instinct whether the offspring will be able to reach the end of the tunnel and then reach the surface of the water. Some make it, some don't. :(

Mating rivalry: Of course, all males around want a chance with this female. She has built a fine home, and is very plump and sexy to them. ;D So to compete, they butt horns and rattle and shake them back and forth until one finally backs off. The winner takes his female to the tunnel to start courtship with a headache, but a prize smile.

---------- Post added 04-17-2013 at 01:28 PM ----------

Sorry about the long stories.. xD I get over excited when using my imagination..

Last edited by Velvet; 04-17-2013 at 01:26 PM..

Antagonist
The Great Adversary

Penpal

Old 04-17-2013, 05:29 PM

This is Day Two
This creature is a(n): Burrowcoon
This is its story: The Burrowcoon is one of the native creatures to Duval. These furry little creatures with horns may look deceptively cute and cuddly to the average person, but they are very aggressive and protective of their territories, and will fiercely defend them to the point of killing themselves in the process.

The Burrowcoons are small, beaver-sized mammals from the rodent family, and live about the grassy plains in the area. While it may seem strange that a creature with such large webbed feet prefer to live on the land instead of near the waters, those feet are actually for scooping and shoveling large amounts of dirt out of their underground tunnels that they spend most of their lives digging. Their horns are excellent in levering stubborn rocks out of their way while burrowing, and their teeth are sharp for gnawing through roots. One can spot a Burrowcoon nest from the mounds of dirt piled about, and oftentimes, from the areas with dead plantations due to their diet. The Burrowcoon's diets consists mainly of new-grown roots and bulbs, and their voracious appetites often kill the plants near their nests, which sometimes become a hazardous problem for farms when large portions of their crops begin dying. The holes made by their burrowing and nests also cause horses or cattle to trip and break their legs in when they mis-step, so they are generally unwelcome to farmers and ranchers.

A typical Burrowcoon nest contains up to ten rooms, with four or five for food storage, two or three for resting, one for bodily waste (that is regularly cleaned), and the remaining as extra rooms for storage. The tunnels also have many exits to avoid and escape from predators, so they are very difficult to capture.

When their territory is challenged, a Burrowcoon would make high-pitched screeching sounds, and bare their teeth at the intruder. If the intruder does not leave, they will often charge at them with their horns lowered, and continue attacking with horns, claws, and teeth until the intruder leaves. The only exception to this is when a predator is around, in which case they will remain underground until the danger is gone. During their mating season in spring, an area populated by Burrowcoons could often see these creatures headbutting and filling the air with their shrieks as they challenge one another for the right to mate. Both female and male Burrowcoons will fight one another until a pair finds themselves satisfied with their mate.

Typical Burrowcoons can have up to six pups at a time, and both parents would take turns in feeding and raising them until the younglings have matured. The pups will not grow their horns until seven months after they are born, which signals their maturity. The parents will then cease their care for them and even attack then until they leave to find and mark their own territory.

The Burrowcoons are sometimes hunted by humans for their soft furry pelts, and their horns make for excellent spearheads and daggers. The meat is also very tender, which can be made into a variety of dishes. However, they can only be hunted during the stated hunting season, and any Burrowcoons hunted outside of the season will cost the hunter(s) to be fined a hefty sum of $10,000 - $25,000 gold per Burrowcoon.

LaVida
On Semi-Hiatus
Penpal

Old 04-17-2013, 05:43 PM

This is Day Two
This creature is a(n): Duckfire Bunnicula
This is its story: The Duckfire Bunnicula belongs to the mammal family. It was once a multitude of animals until a monumental lighting occurrence where a rabbit, a ferret, a duck, and a bat where zapped and fused together into one body that is now known as the duckfire bunnicula. This creature is nocturnal and feeds on blood like the bat. It is also very fast in water due to its duck like feet and can be seen zooming across the water up to 50 miles an hour. From the rabbit and ferret halves, the bunnicula has excellent hearing, night vision, and balance. Next time you think you have been bitten by a mosquito, think again....

Q U E E N
spooky scary skeletons
Send a message via AIM to Q U E E N

Old 04-17-2013, 08:03 PM

This is Day Two
This creature is a(n): Jackypus!
This is its story: A mixture of a jackrabbit and a platypus, the Jackypus is the result of mating a Jackrabbit with a Platypus. It mostly resembles the jackrabbit, for its bunny-like body, prongs (or horns), and arms. Its platypus side comes from the webbed feet that help it swim easily through water, and it is born in a leathery egg, much like the platypus. The Jackypus is famous for looking very docile one minute, picking its way through worms and nuts to eat, then ferocious the next. During mating season, the Jackypus gets particularly rowdy with other males to fight for dominance. Like the platypus, they have a "fang"-like protrusion from the inside of their hind leg that injects 20 different toxins and poisons into the system of the unlucky loser of the fight for dominance. A human or any other animal would die immediately from the poison, but a Jackypus would simple filter the poisons into their own system if injected. A Jackypus can be found all over the globe, from marshy swamps to the dry deserts.

Cardinal Biggles
Patron Saint of Pigeons🌙

Old 04-17-2013, 10:12 PM

All Day Two Entries Added!

pollik17: your entry was not added to the list because it was submitted after the deadline :/

Captain Howdy
L'Enfant Terrible

Assistant Administrator

Old 04-17-2013, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shishunki View Post
*beams*
Ah hem. The first answer was the "(Vegetable) Lamb of Tartary".

In the Middle Ages, it was believed that cotton came from a plant like sheep. This creature was said to grow from the ground, like a plant. But once it sprouted, it was very much like the animal. The most noticeable difference between regular sheep is the Lamb of Tartary was still attached to the ground by a stem, so the lamb was quite restricted in it's movement. It would eat all the plants it could reach, and then would wither away leaving only bits of it's "wool" behind. It was said to have blood and bones like the animal, but taste different than regular lamb and once passed on it's blood would taste like honey.

Various artists and hoaxers have attempted to recreate this creature, and that is the example we see for our first creature.
*bows*

Edit: Sorry. ^^; I got a little over excited. I don't often get to share this learned information.
That's a nifty bit of learning. ;D

twotickets

Old 04-18-2013, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mythos View Post
Back at you! The idea of a group of these little guys head banging... oh man. xD
XD thanks!

The bit about domestication was really great.

---------- Post added 04-18-2013 at 09:29 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaVida View Post
This is Day Two
This creature is a(n): Duckfire Bunnicula
This is its story: The Duckfire Bunnicula belongs to the mammal family. It was once a multitude of animals until a monumental lighting occurrence where a rabbit, a ferret, a duck, and a bat where zapped and fused together into one body that is now known as the duckfire bunnicula. This creature is nocturnal and feeds on blood like the bat. It is also very fast in water due to its duck like feet and can be seen zooming across the water up to 50 miles an hour. From the rabbit and ferret halves, the bunnicula has excellent hearing, night vision, and balance. Next time you think you have been bitten by a mosquito, think again....
The name is really, really fun to say. I want to use it in everyday conversation.

iamnotspam
\ (•◡•) /
Banned

Old 04-18-2013, 12:35 AM

This is Day Two
This creature is a(n): "Plamatus Jackus Rabbitus", or "Duck-footed Jack-Rabbit"
This is its story:

This creature was not created through a natural process but through genetic mutation in a distant and little-known place called 'Area 51'.

While so many people in that country (and outside of it) thought Area 51 had to do with extremities such as aliens, secret government experiments, biological warfare, et cetra, and while many statements, stories, books, movies, and the like were made to that effect, it was really just a top-secret agricultural project; but in the efforts of remaining unsabotoged by competitors, they did nothing to discredit the wild rumors. Also, they did not develop weather balloons.

Now one fateful day in the history of Area 51, while the other scientists employed there at that time were searching for combinations of animals they could procure cheaply that would help with farming, a particular bored and unknown scientist thought it would be quite funny to use official government-given funds to secretly create a few duck-rabbit-things to release around the facility on the next April Fool's Day.

When that next April 1st came around and he let his secret creations roam around freely, he found out just how not amused his coworkers, bosses, and the federal government were; it took them about an hour and a half to find out who did it, where he was, and escort him to the project lead's office. He was then ordered to round up all of his creations and re-cage them, after which he was fired, and finally escorted securely out of the building. How he managed to sneak one duck-footed jack-rabbit out when he left, however, remains a mystery; and as the species mated with rabbits, they've rapidly begun to be birth their young without as many duck traits.

And the scientist, after his little excapade that day, was never again employed.

Captain Howdy: I made a few edits. :P
Again sorry for the trouble. >.>

Last edited by iamnotspam; 04-18-2013 at 02:57 AM..

Nephila
The Serpent Bride

Penpal

Old 04-18-2013, 01:36 AM

This is Day Two
This creature is a(n):Horned Devil Rat
This is its story:
This mischievous extinct critter is known as the Horned Devil Rat. It was once prevalent in the same areas our beavers today now inhabit. They were hunted to extinction for their soft tail, and scent glands. It was also considered a pest because of it's hording behavior.
Comparable to the hoarding of a bower bird it has a fondness of shiny trinkets and bits of stolen papers. Unlike the famous bird It is purely for their own pleasure and not to win a mate. It keeps them in its borrow and admires them often re-arranging the setting. It guards its ill-gotten goods jealously and will attack if you come within earshot. Luckily When they're out of the water their hearing isn't very good.

Last edited by Nephila; 04-18-2013 at 03:20 AM..

iamnotspam
\ (•◡•) /
Banned

Old 04-18-2013, 01:54 AM

Nephila:
"famous bid"?
Also, the "it's" should probably be "its"
in that case. ^^

Angel Spirit Girl
8>>(^.^)

Old 04-18-2013, 02:01 AM

This is Day Two
This creature is a(n): Horned pond squirrel.
This is its story: This shy, pint-sized aquatic rodent is now quite rare. Its musk glands were often used in perfumery, and its soft fur was much sought after. Hunting and loss of habitat have reduced its numbers significantly from when explorers first discovered it in North America. Back then it was rather common to find them making beaver dam like nests across small streams or in the middle of ponds. The water offered protection and food because their webbed feet made them ungainly on land. Their favorite foods were pond vegetation, twigs, bark, roots and insect larvae. Their small horns were used in mating displays, and in self defense since they could be testy if cornered. Today one has to go to secluded wetlands to find them in the wild.

M i n u x e
Jiggly Jell-o

Old 04-18-2013, 02:14 AM

Wow this game seems really cool! I will definitely participate in the round tomorrow after my exam. I can't believe how weird yesterday's creature looked!