Nalin Sun
Petal Paradise
NPC

Old 04-14-2013, 12:45 AM

My thanks to Ikuto Akihiko Hasegawa for the banner ^ ^

Last edited by Nalin Sun; 04-15-2013 at 03:13 PM..

Nalin Sun
Petal Paradise
NPC

Old 04-14-2013, 12:46 AM

Having heard of a dire need of helpers, you make your way to the Duvalian Botanical Society's greenhouse where it is immediately evident that there is much, much work to be done. Rows upon rows of terrariums line the sturdy metal workshop tables, sometimes overflowing onto the benches meant for seating. Several people - volunteers like yourself, it seems - are being directed by a red-aproned gentleman in the back of the greenhouse. He isn't a large man, but he speaks with such confidence and authority that you are certain he's the one in charge. He directs the others without hesitation, telling them to "water those plants," or "move these specimens there." Sunlight beams in through the glass-paneled ceiling, catching the warm golden tones of his ponytail. He seems to notice you watching, and turns to face you. A hint of shyness softens his expression, and he suddenly appears much younger.

"Oh, hello.. you.. must be here to help with the cataloging? My name is Nalin Sun, pleased to meet you."

Nalin Sun
Petal Paradise
NPC

Old 04-14-2013, 12:49 AM

Hello, and thank you for coming! We are working to get all of these plant samples sorted and catalogued - do you think you might be able to help? I can assign you a terrarium, and you'll just need to take note of what's inside of it by drawing in the details on this sheet, or, if you'd prefer something a bit more tactile, you may reproduce it in model form. We're giving out prizes, too! Does that sound okay? *smiles hopefully*

In order to help this go smoothly, please adhere to the following guidelines:
  • All work must be your own, and must have been created for this contest.
  • Each person may submit up to two entries per category. Your mule is not a separate person, so please don't use those and your main accounts!
  • You'll need to include your username somewhere in the image you submit. If photographing your entry, please do not add your username with an edit; include a slip of paper with your username in the photo instead.
  • If you should win a prize, you'll need to accept the trade within 30 days or I may cancel the trade and donate your prize to an active charity instead.

DEADLINE

All entries will need to be submitted (posted in this thread) by the event's close!
Please check the Event FAQ for specifics.

PRIZES

For each category (Art and Craft) :
First Place : 4000g + Blood Lotus
2nd Place : 3000g + Return to Nature
3rd Place : 2000g + Spring Glade
Honorable Mention : 1000g + Team Gasket Shovel Set

For Overall Staff Favorites:
First Place: Medal of Totally Epic Win
2nd Place: Medal of Shiny Awesomeness
3rd place: Medal of Super Spiffiness

And, all non-winning participants will receive a minor item as thanks for their efforts.

Nalin Sun
Petal Paradise
NPC

Old 04-14-2013, 01:33 AM

For people who choose to draw or paint their samples, either digitally or traditionally, please use the template below to show us what you have found growing in your terrarium. You may, of course, take creative freedom in designing your art - we hope to discover many new and unusual species with your help! *nods cheerfully*

Terrarium TemplateX

Art by Demoscout ^^

Please paste this form into the thread to enter:
Quote:

[SIZE="5"][COLOR="DarkGreen"][B]I have an Art Entry![/B][/COLOR][/SIZE]
[B]My Specimen:[/B]
[paste or link your terrarium image here]
[B]Description & Observations:[/B] [optional text to enhance your entry here]

Note: If you are finding this terrarium hard to work with you can change the lines a little bit, or make another one, but your entry will need to include some kind of terrarium. Here are some other examples: Link, link, link.

Last edited by Nalin Sun; 04-15-2013 at 08:34 PM..

Nalin Sun
Petal Paradise
NPC

Old 04-14-2013, 01:37 AM

For those who wish to recreate their samples in model form, you may use whatever materials you like - no terrarium required. Please photograph your creations and submit them using the following form. Just don't forget to include your username somewhere in the photo! *smile*

Please paste this form into the thread to enter:
Quote:

[SIZE="5"][COLOR="Blue"][B]I have a Craft Entry![/B][/COLOR][/SIZE]
[B]My Specimen:[/B]
[paste or link your image here]
[B]Description & Observations:[/B] [optional text to enhance your entry here]

Note: Craft entries don't need a terrarium, but that doesn't mean you can't make one if you want to. ^^;

Last edited by Nalin Sun; 04-17-2013 at 04:03 PM..

Nalin Sun
Petal Paradise
NPC

Old 04-14-2013, 01:37 AM

Q. I'm not sure I understand this contest - what exactly am I supposed to be drawing or making?
A. It's just a simple art/craft contest with a plant theme. Imagine you have discovered an entirely new kind of something growing in a terrarium - what would it look like? Or, perhaps it's an established species. You can really make whatever you can think up, be it silly or serious, real or imagined (though, creativity tends to sit well with the judges) -- "Art" entries should involve drawing or painting, either in the provided template or a terrarium you design; "craft" entries would be molded, sewn, built, etc.

Q. Can you give us some information about Duval? I'm not sure what would grow there.
A. Duval has a variety of ecosystems present that are capable of sustaining plant life -- from the deep caverns where ores & crystals are mined, to the high sea cliffs, to the dark waters of the bays. The samples represented in the terrariums will have been collected from all of these places.

Last edited by Nalin Sun; 04-15-2013 at 08:55 PM..

Nalin Sun
Petal Paradise
NPC

Old 04-14-2013, 01:38 AM

Art Entries:

Craft Entries:

Last edited by Nalin Sun; 04-24-2013 at 05:31 PM..

Nalin Sun
Petal Paradise
NPC

Old 04-14-2013, 01:38 AM

Last edited by Nalin Sun; 04-15-2013 at 03:16 PM..

Nephila
The Serpent Bride

Penpal

Old 04-15-2013, 06:51 PM

With all the flowers I've been drawing lately this should be interesting. Making up a flower will be more fun that rl flower sketching.

Question though, does it have to have that vase in the picture? Can it just be part of the vase, ei focus on the flower with an edge of the vase showing?
EDIT:

Also can the vase be made bigger/smaller or wider/thinner?

Last edited by Nephila; 04-15-2013 at 07:32 PM..

Nalin Sun
Petal Paradise
NPC

Old 04-15-2013, 08:22 PM

Oh.. the terrarium would usually have the plant growing inside, kind of like these: example

But.. I imagine some plants might like to climb out. *smile*

I suppose that it would be okay to alter the lines a bit, too.

---------- Post added 04-15-2013 at 03:53 PM ----------

I hope that answered your question, Nephila. I'll.. just be over here if you need me again, ok? *walks toward the back of the greenhouse, where several crates of plant food have just been brought in*

Last edited by Nalin Sun; 04-15-2013 at 08:56 PM..

momochan
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Penpal
Send a message via Yahoo to momochan

Old 04-15-2013, 09:18 PM

Hey um, I'm out of black printer ink and I do traditional art. Would I be able to maybe trace the jar? Or draw something similar to it?

Nephila
The Serpent Bride

Penpal

Old 04-15-2013, 09:26 PM

OH That's suppose to be a terrarium. I'm used to modern plan rectangle ones. I thought it was something else. That gives me a whole new idea. XD

BellyButton

Assistant Administrator

Old 04-15-2013, 11:37 PM

Hiya Momo - it looks like Nalin added a note after talking w/Nephila that it's okay to make your own terrarium shape if you want to. I'm sure that means tracing it is OK too. Just in case he doesn't come back from the back very soon. ;)

Antagonist
The Great Adversary

Penpal

Old 04-15-2013, 11:39 PM

YES!!!! My favorite contest is back! *dances around like a maniac and cackles manically* I can't wait to get started on this!!! *resists urge to give Nalin a giant glomp and spill his plant food and just continues to spin around crazily instead*

Kent
owo

Penpal

Old 04-16-2013, 12:26 AM

Hmm, I might try this... > o>

momochan
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Penpal

Old 04-16-2013, 12:28 AM

yaay! thank you belly!

BellyButton

Assistant Administrator

Old 04-16-2013, 01:54 AM

Sure thing! Hopefully Nalin doesn't tire himself out too much back there, it would be nice to chat with him again.

Lokinta
('•_•)/ hi.

Old 04-16-2013, 02:39 AM

I'm already working on this, and loving the ideas that I'm gettin' down so far!
Unfortunately, my sample won't be able to exit the confines of its bottle.. this is an extremely rare specimen that wouldn't survive in the conditions as we know them!
But that does give me some super intriguing seeds of ideas!

-Re-read- Oh, 2 entries per person per category.. yesss..! Then! Let the lavish lushness grow~ grow my pretties!
*huddles over specimen vials in a dark dark corner..*

momochan
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Penpal

Old 04-16-2013, 03:42 AM

I have my concept and plan all drawn out! Just need to get the actual pieces done and then I will enter it! :D So excited!

Velvet
☆♥☆♥

Penpal

Old 04-16-2013, 04:16 PM

Oh, this sounds very exciting. I am going to start planning for this very soon.

---------- Post added 04-16-2013 at 04:22 PM ----------

Quick question:

Does the model version have to be a replica of the art or can it be something completely different?

Shadami
the one and only

Penpal
Send a message via Yahoo to Shadami

Old 04-16-2013, 09:37 PM

opportunity to break out my paint... hmmm.. i like it.

Nephila
The Serpent Bride

Penpal

Old 04-17-2013, 04:34 AM

I have an Art Entry!
My Specimen:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...ps3f1e6fbc.jpg
Description & Observations:

A new variation of orchid. It has magical properties including illumination and levitation.

I have a Craft Entry!
My Specimen:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...ps9549beaa.jpg
Description & Observations:This is the first time I've ever tried to make anything like this. Crafting flowers not my strength. >.<

kasakir
Now you see me...

Old 04-17-2013, 08:32 AM

oh to this contest i must do an art ^^

Nalin Sun
Petal Paradise
NPC

Old 04-17-2013, 03:39 PM

Oh, Lokinta, that sounds very interesting! I am eager to see it. *smile*

momochan: BellyButton is correct, you may trace or redraw the outline for your art entry.

Velvet: You won't need to worry about the terrarium if you're making a model.

Nephila, thank you! I can tell that your samples were tended with care. They are quite beautiful, aren't they? *smile*

I hope you all will forgive my late replies; it's very easy to get caught up in all the work around here! So many new plants I've never seen before - it's quite exciting. I must remember to rest.. sometime. *tired laugh*

Velvet
☆♥☆♥

Penpal

Old 04-17-2013, 03:41 PM

I simply meant that I want to enter both categories. :3 And I thought about doing a model of an actual terrarium and was wondering if it needed to be identical to the drawing of one I also intend on doing or if it can be different?