ljosberinn
This is an obnoxious and offensi...

Old 04-15-2013, 11:33 PM

Ugh yeah, that really really sucks. The US education system is... ridiculous. Like you say, you need a degree to get a job and a career, and if you don't do that then everyone will frown upon you.. but it's nearly impossible to get a degree without adding so much ridiculous stress over loans or working constantly to be able to afford it. I did my BA in the UK, in London, where they have really high fees too - not like the US, but still fairly high.. since I'm from Iceland and don't have a EU passport I had to pay the overseas student fees, which was around £10k per year (around $15k), for three years. Oh, and that's actually one of the reasons I wanted to go back to uni haha... in Iceland you start paying your loans back two years after graduation but if I go back to uni I can put it off for a bit longer xP Especially since I have no regular income, it's very tempting to sit some classes right now!!
I hate working with education though. Especially if I'm doing art courses, it's impossible to keep a high level of creativity while working a brain-numbing job at the same time x______x

serena yuy
Cat Whisperer
Send a message via AIM to serena yuy Send a message via MSN to serena yuy

Old 04-15-2013, 11:41 PM

Exactly. I hate how it all works. And don't get me wrong, I do work hard and I did work hard for where I got. I just feel I was pressured into continuing the way I did because I couldn't afford to have my undergraduate loans come up again. I would have had to (and I did at one point) defer them until I could pay. So, I continued in school, started to work on getting my Graduate degree. All because I didn't have a very good income and needed to keep my loans from coming up. :/
And who knows if I'll even get a job with my Master's degree in the field I have worked so hard to get into?

Oh I know, my job is terrible and is working in a food court on campus here. It's just meaningless and such. I come home from work the days I do work and just want to sleep and not give any cares. Then we add in the work I have to make up and I just curl up and get stressed and sick.
I do try to work on them and I do try to keep up and try to catch up. I just have too much and can't get out of one of the classes since the semester ends in a few weeks.

LonelyOtaku97
(^._.^)ノ

Old 04-15-2013, 11:44 PM

Hey guys I subscribed to the thread whatsup?

serena yuy
Cat Whisperer

Old 04-16-2013, 12:02 AM

Attempts to do homework. ^^" Which are failing not because of me distracting myself. But due to I'm just done. I dunno.

ElysiumFate
There is beauty everywhere.

Old 04-16-2013, 12:13 AM

Yeah, homework. XP Which is why I disappeared. I studied a few pages of Bio which took quite some time. I still have 20 + pages left to go which I intend to finish tonight even if I'm up till 3 a.m.

Taking a break for dinner atm.

serena yuy
Cat Whisperer

Old 04-16-2013, 12:16 AM

I wish I had the stuff that I did as an undergrad. I could handle that. Hell, I liked the material I was learning. Here... Ugh. :/

I should consider dinner soon. It's almost 9

ElysiumFate

Old 04-16-2013, 12:26 AM

I'm struggling with this class because it's Bio, and bio is so time consuming no matter how intelligent you are. That and Bio has practically nothing to do with a psych major. If you can explain the connection everyone would love to know.

serena yuy
Cat Whisperer

Old 04-16-2013, 12:29 AM

I often wondered how a lot of the courses I had to take had any connection to Political Science.

ElysiumFate

Old 04-16-2013, 12:33 AM

A lot of people bitch about the required courses everyone has to take, but I had nothing wrong with them except maybe the algebra. What I hate is the courses required for the major that have nothing to do with said major. Sometimes I think they're just fishing for an extra class to make you pay for 60 credits when you maybe just needed 50.

serena yuy
Cat Whisperer

Old 04-16-2013, 12:50 AM

Yup, pretty much a ploy to get more money out of us. I do have to say in grad school it's good that we mainly take courses in our program. They prepare us for the profession we're going into. There are no gen-ed requirements.
Just a lot more work to do in a short amount of time because they think you can handle it.

ElysiumFate

Old 04-16-2013, 12:55 AM

I think I'd be able to handle grad school because it would be me working towards my future profession, instead of being all over the place. But I dunno.

I feel so lost in life sometimes.

serena yuy
Cat Whisperer

Old 04-16-2013, 02:27 AM

I can handle grad school itself. Just not taking 3-4 classes and working almost 15hr a week ^^" Which is why I'm planning on going almost part time and not working so much, and being home. Somehow finding that middle ground.

I still have yet to call my grandmother ^^" been trying to get work done, I haven't yet. I think I should before it gets too late.

ElysiumFate

Old 04-16-2013, 03:02 AM

Yeah, call your grandma. It's best to just get it over with.

serena yuy
Cat Whisperer

Old 04-16-2013, 03:07 AM

Called her, she was happy that I called. But, she is taking her kitty to the vet tomorrow to be put to sleep. :/

ElysiumFate

Old 04-16-2013, 03:15 AM

What was wrong with him? I forgot in all the chaos of the day.

serena yuy
Cat Whisperer

Old 04-16-2013, 03:28 AM

Oh grandma was telling me that coco has lost a lot of weight, said she's all skin and bones. She also hasn't been eating much and has some issues. Grandma also said that the vet said she could have cancer or something, but of course with that, you'd have to do tests, and you don't know what it could be, whether she'd take to the treatment and it could get costly.

When I told Mike that, he mentioned how his parents when hearing something like that will usually opt for putting them to sleep instead of the costs of treatment. My family is opposite, we'll try until we can't. I got lucky with Elijah that all he has is diabetes. Serious and a bit expensive, yes. But, he took to the treatment instantly and well, and I am able to look into lower cost options when need comes.

But, we've also had cats that didn't take so well to their treatment, and when that happens, we just know it's time.

ElysiumFate

Old 04-16-2013, 03:33 AM

Oh yeah, I don't like that way of doing things, either. I would at least get that cat tested. My god, they could be putting it to sleep for a cold. I mean, my cat is a little sick right now, but I'm not going to go put her to sleep just because she's got a running eye.

My first cat we put to sleep after tests were done and we were told that a surgery worth 1000s of dollars would have only made her live another week. That's legitimate. But animals are part of your family. You have to commit to the costs they may or may not accrue over their lives.

serena yuy
Cat Whisperer

Old 04-16-2013, 04:59 AM

Eh, Coco has been like this for awhile if I'm not mistaken and she's not even eating and barely doing anything/weigh anything. And my grandmother is 84, she really can't afford it. I know it sounds cold from me, a cat person. But, I have a cat with an illness that thankfully can be controlled and isn't terribly expensive like cancer treatment. Plus, I work and have enough money to afford his bills and his medication thankfully. I thank the Gods that I am able to provide the care he needs.
Yeah, I would at least have her tested, but it's ultimately my grandmother's decision and I like to think Coco and her have had the "conversations" involving the look from Coco that told her that it's time. Even though she is a few years younger than Elijah.

I do feel a little eh about it all because Elijah is older and I know in a few years we may have that exchange of looks where he gives me the look of "momma, I'm tired. It's time" and when that time would come, Mike does know it'll be very hard on me and I'm sure he knows he will be with me because I know I won't be able to drive myself home because I won't be able to see or think straight for awhile.

Oh I know, Mike and I know very well that whole thing with you have to be willing to take on the costs, heck my dad knows and follows this. Elijah's first set of insulin and needles- my dad paid for. Mike and I will pay for whatever we would be able to if our cats get sick and we have to do something, like Diabetes for example. That and because of Elijah, I have mentioned to Mike about looking into pet insurance as a just in case thing with our cats.

Bound Birdie
Mistress of Mischief and Mayhem

Old 04-16-2013, 10:16 AM

I am back from work!
but of course everyone is asleep :(

LonelyOtaku97
(^._.^)ノ

Old 04-16-2013, 01:01 PM

Hey Bound
@ser: Its always sad to let a cat go, there isn't anything wrong with Maggie but I do realize she is old and I know she can go at any day. I would rather her just die naturally than have to put her down.

Bound Birdie

Old 04-16-2013, 01:05 PM

oh good morning! I have been up all night you know it's early when people start coming back on XD

LonelyOtaku97
(^._.^)ノ

Old 04-16-2013, 01:09 PM

Aw I see any reason for being up so late?

Bound Birdie

Old 04-16-2013, 01:13 PM

lol I am just nocturnal and work a graveyard shift. So really this is only a little later then normal due to the event.

ElysiumFate

Old 04-16-2013, 07:42 PM

Ach, it's going to be a whole day of studying for me. I slept quite late today because I felt the need to relax. But the rest of today will be studying, taking notes, practice exams. Blech.

Bound Birdie

Old 04-16-2013, 09:40 PM

well hopefully your brain doesn't turn to mush. I am going to go get my hair cut maybe little later. Depends on my friend and if she wants to hang out. But I will stop in later tonight, check in and the next few days or so I will be on.