Sammi
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Old 04-15-2007, 03:59 AM

I thought this could go here, since it's music discussion... if not then move it.

It bugs me SO MUCH when someone refuses to like a band because "they're on MTV," "they're mainstream," "my little middle schooler cousin down the street likes them," etc. etc. Who cares? It's music. Music gets around.

It also bugs me when people act like they were the first to like a band. No, sorry, there were people before you, I'm sure. Probably like the band's best friends and such. You can't "own" a band and then get angry at everyone else who likes that band. It's so stupid.

For example, I was talking to someone about The Fratellis, and they said "I used to have their song on my myspace, but then they got on MTV!!" Uh, who the heck cares? It's music. Let's all enjoy music, please, regardless of where you hear it.

I wish I could just get rid of all the music snobs who snub music because it's on MTV or something. D< Because, honestly, it doesn't matter...

Does anyone else agree with me?

Zurie
ʘ‿ʘ
n/a

Old 04-15-2007, 04:03 AM

• Hmm. I don't know if I'm one of those music snobs or not, but I tend to not listen to the radio anymore because a lot of the stuff that's 'mainstream' now, gets on my nerves easily, then it irritates me further because there're always those fans that only like it because it's 'mainstream.'

But then again, I only tend to like video game and movie music that was composed just for the game/movie. :3

Sammi
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Old 04-15-2007, 04:06 AM

Well, anything does get irritating if you hear it repeatedly (that song is Lips of an Angel to me), but there's a very thick line at being irritated by hearing it so much and REFUSING to listen to it for the fact that it's mainstream.

It's also a completely different story to prefer a certain genre of music. :3

edit- Oh, forgot to address the people who only listen to something because it's mainstream - they can be just as bad. For example, when everyone was saying "I love Green Day, they are a great new band!!" it definitely annoyed me. The people that refuse to delve deeper into the music that they listen to can definitely be as bad.

secretdae007
The Colors of a Dae

Old 04-15-2007, 04:30 AM

That is really annoying D: Mostly because I don't really go looking for "non-mainstream bands" because that take effort and I am lazy xD There is nothing wrong with a band making a music video or actually getting some fame to their name...
However, it does get annoying when they play the SAME SONGS over and over again... I mean, they claim to have a variety when they have nothing D:

Everybody Lies
⊙ω⊙
n/a

Old 04-15-2007, 04:34 AM

I know what you mean! It makes me laugh because it's so stupid and some people get so worked up over it. I'm not like that at all.

There was this one girl at high school who used to be crazy about this band (I can't remember who they were though) that no one had heard of. Then they had this song out which became really popular and people started to like the band, and started listening to their other stuff.

With this new popularity they were played on the radio a lot more and featured on Video Hits and whatnot. The girl stopped liking the band because they "sold out" and started making fun of all the people who started liking them, calling them pathetic. If anything she was the pathetic one, refusing to like a band just because they became mainstream.

shutterslut
Vag Cat

Old 04-15-2007, 11:04 AM

I don't think it was the fact that they 'sold out' or anything.
Just the fact that it's something that you used to admire and enjoy listening to so much, and then suddenly EVERYONE likes it just as much as you do.
And you don't feel as near to the artist as you once did.

I used to be, and still am a diehard Metric fan.
For a few years before anyone had heard of them.
When they became a bit more well known, it was like a punch in the stomach.
Depressing that something so.. secret, almost, became so popular to everyone I'd talk to.

It seems that they've sunken into the mix a little now, and I'm not as riled up as I once was.
I don't really care much anymore actually. I'm just happy they're successful and that I'm the only one that has a picture of the lead singers panties. Probably.
:oops:

Sandra
ʘ‿ʘ

Old 04-15-2007, 11:29 AM

To tell you the truth I don't really care much about mainstream or non-mainstream bands. All I care about is their music. (I have a tendency to only like one or more song from a band but never all.) And I don't think I am a music snobs. Since i only watch MTV when my older sister watches it. And I only listen to the radio in the car when I am on my way back from school. But then again most songs I like are either anime music or video game music.

And I have yet to met a music snob so I don't know what to say about them, so I guess if I saw or met one I'd ignore her and leave her to what ever she does.

Para
⊙ω⊙

Old 04-15-2007, 01:43 PM

Oh, I know people like that. I think the funniest thing was someone crying because *coughs*

'WHY ARE THE TOURING IN THE US FIRST???? THEY AREN'T EVEN AMERICAN THEY SHOULD TOUR HERE FIRST!! THEY ARE SELLING OUT!!! I HATE THEM NOW ALL THEY CARE ABOUT IS AMERICA NOW!'

When the fact of the matter was they hadn't really toured here in 5 years and only released their 2nd album 5 years after it had come out. Not to mention you don't see them on TV hardly ever (I've seen said band on MTV2 -once- and they were on Fuse -2- times) and they don't do talk shows like Letterman and Leno and all of that.

To me, people like that never really liked the band to begin with. :lol:

x juneflower
⊙ω⊙
n/a
Send a message via AIM to x juneflower Send a message via MSN to x juneflower

Old 04-17-2007, 05:15 PM

oh, my god. I get so pissed off at mainstream fans. :/

Sometimes, I bet they don't even like the music.
and if they do, they probably wouldn't understand the real meaning behind it. It's times like this I feel a bit possessive, but more like a mother and her child. >__>;;;;

I'd rather have them less fans than fans who don't care.

ANDROID
Dead Account Holder

Old 04-17-2007, 05:20 PM

True,
Most of the fans only like them because the singer looks hot, or because it's so 'punk'.
I don't like it when bands get really popular.
I've never said I was the bands first fan, but sometimes I already knew them before they were on the television (like Senses Fail, they just showed up on television o.o).

I don't stop liking a band because they get Mainstream, but it gets on my nerves sometimes
(You know, 11 years olds that claim they always loved the band -_-' )

(Sorry if it's hard to understand, I don't speak english in real life, to it's hard for me to explain some things XD)

x juneflower
⊙ω⊙
n/a

Old 04-17-2007, 05:46 PM

hehe, I know what you mean!

I could never claim to be the band's biggest fan. I'd love to, yes, I'd be soo happy if I could be, but I don't think I will. 'cause I KNOW I probably don't love them half as much as some people do. Not to the point of obsession, but just.. you know.

There are lots of different kinds of love in the world, and this is one. Our love for a band. xD

I'm sorry, this doesn't make sense!

Midnight Raver
*^_^*

Old 04-17-2007, 06:20 PM

i know what you mean, it really bugs me when folk act like that

i like the music for the music and thats it

superkatti
le déesse de l'animaux de la for...

Old 04-17-2007, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammi
It also bugs me when people act like they were the first to like a band. No, sorry, there were people before you, I'm sure. Probably like the band's best friends and such. You can't "own" a band and then get angry at everyone else who likes that band. It's so stupid.
I agree with that except that when Rocket Me Nowhere was really small, my friend found them and sent them to me and we were really obsessed with them. I IMed one of the guys and he said that I was their first fan. xD I don't believe him, but I thought I'd share my story.

But I really hate that. My best friend won't listen to Fall Out Boy 'cause they are sellouts. If I like it I listen to it, and I don't really care what people think.

x juneflower
⊙ω⊙
n/a

Old 04-17-2007, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by superkatti
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammi
I agree with that except that when Rocket Me Nowhere was really small, my friend found them and sent them to me and we were really obsessed with them. I IMed one of the guys and he said that I was their first fan. xD I don't believe him, but I thought I'd share my story.

But I really hate that. My best friend won't listen to Fall Out Boy 'cause they are sellouts. If I like it I listen to it, and I don't really care what people think.
wow that's so coool~ ;o;
That'd make me feel soo special. xD

Starburstnova
⊙ω⊙
n/a

Old 04-17-2007, 10:08 PM

Yeah, that really pisses me off.

I listen to a variety of music, both mainstream and non-mainstream.
Green Day and Fall Out Boy are my two favorite bands, so I have had to deal with this a LOT. People view them negatively because they have a lot of fans, and with a lot of fans comes many annoying fans. I hate when people let the fans get in the way of the music/your enjoyment of a band.

Sure, it's annoying when people listen to Fall Out Boy only 'cause "pete is soooo hott!!!11" but it's bound to happen. They know who their real fans are...
"Make us poster boys in your scene but we aren't writing our acceptance speech." "Crowds are won and lost and won again but our hearts beat for the die-hards." "This bandwagon's full, please catch another."

Patrick also said that it was much easier to talk to a fan who likes music than one that comes up and says "I really like those chicks."

There are annoying cons to having your favorite band be mainstream, but in my opinion, the pros outweigh the cons. More concerts, TV specials, more information on the band, more (intelligent) fans to talk to, and they're more likely to be making music for longer, because they're getting enough money to continue it as a career. I can put up with some annoying teenies for that.

If they're willing to ditch a band just because other people like them, they obviously never liked them that much in the first place and shouldn't be listening to them.

Edit: My third favorite band is The Matches. They're starting to get a bit more famous, but are still not THAT well-known. It's really irritating because it's so much harder to find entertaining videos of them or...any information or pictures at all. Dx A pro is that I've got to meet a couple of them.

But hey, what's a couple minutes with a musician to tons of hours/days worth of music that you love, even if you probably won't get a chance to meet them?

twizted child eve
┌(・。・...

Old 04-18-2007, 10:17 PM

I hate people who say stuff like that as well. It is so annoying. It really irritates me. Just because they're popular and on tv and played on the radio, doesn't make them a bad band. I love Linkin Park, for example. Some people don't like them just because they're popular. I bet half the people that say things like that haven't really listened to them before. They're very talented and they're making a living. Let it be.

superkatti
le déesse de l'animaux de la for...

Old 04-18-2007, 11:23 PM

People forget that a lot of times, bands want to become "mainstream" in a way. They don't want to waste their lives away in an unknown band playing for 10 or 15 people every other day, making next to nothing. Nobody wants to be a band hobo! So think about the good of the band. If all their real fans abandon them and only the people who listen to whatever is popular like them, the band is going to go back down again, but then they won't be any good, because they'll be failures.

Renji
⊙ω⊙
n/a
Send a message via AIM to Renji Send a message via MSN to Renji

Old 04-22-2007, 08:48 AM

I agree with the above: bands do aim for being famous. Older fans tend to get sore because they feel like they'll be forgotten, and sometimes that happens. Frankly, it's happened to me. With that said, I think the fans who find the ability to still support their favorite bands, despite a gain in fanbase and popularity are true fans. Truer fans than the ones who decide to hate newer fans.

I do think there are groupie fans/bandwagon fans who only enjoy a band 1) because a member(s) are attractive and 2) because everyone else likes them. That doesn't classify ALL new fans though, and I realize that. Basically, I think it's immature to not only dislike a band because they are popular, but to hate new fans because they are new fans.

Yuki Rosaro
(-.-)zzZ
n/a
Send a message via AIM to Yuki Rosaro

Old 04-22-2007, 11:47 AM

I know people who do this, and it's an absolute pain in the ass. Does being popular make them bad? It just means a lot of other people are fans of them for the same reason.

Though there are 2 elements which annoy me which happens when a band gets mainstream. First, when they sell-out by doing something out of character for them just because they want to be more popular. *cough* *cough* ST.ANGER *cough* (aka. ST.INKER) Second, when people who are not willing to acknowledge any other band get all high and mighty to tell you that this mainstream band is better than the lesser-known band you like because they are always on MTV or some other music channel. Popularity doesn't automatically mean best.

Sammi
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Old 04-22-2007, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by superkatti
People forget that a lot of times, bands want to become "mainstream" in a way. They don't want to waste their lives away in an unknown band playing for 10 or 15 people every other day, making next to nothing. Nobody wants to be a band hobo! So think about the good of the band. If all their real fans abandon them and only the people who listen to whatever is popular like them, the band is going to go back down again, but then they won't be any good, because they'll be failures.
I forgot about this thread.

I agree with this. Most people are trying to do this as a career. Of course they want to get popular! Hopefully they get popular on their own and not sell out (like Yuki Rosaro mentioned), but yeah, you're right, nobody does want to be a "band hobo."

LOL @ that phrase. <3

Robot Jane
Dead Account Holder
Send a message via AIM to Robot Jane

Old 04-22-2007, 06:55 PM

A lot of my friends are music snobs, and it can get pretty annoying. I try not to limit myself toone genre, and listen to all sorts of stuff, because I've found that the stuff I didn't think I'd like I actually do.

I don't listen to the radio, either, but that's just because I can't stand the commercials, and DJs are always so annoying.

Chaitealatte
Dead Account Holder

Old 04-22-2007, 09:10 PM

xD I like mainstream...

From the '70s, '80s, and '90s.

But no, there are some great new bands out there that have come into the mainstream, and I'm just glad they're getting recognition. Besides, I wouldn't have heard of them otherwise. And as general concensus goes, if lots of people like them, chances are they're not SO bad.

Just because they're popular... @___@

Falcon
Dead Account Holder

Old 04-22-2007, 11:41 PM

• Definitely, that's exactly the attitude to go. People need to stop caring about how the band looks, what record lable its on, or if its on the radio. :P Music is something you LISTEN to, so its the SOUND that matters. n___n

stilettolover
Dead Account Holder
Send a message via AIM to stilettolover

Old 04-23-2007, 12:41 AM

I don't listen to corporate radio stations, if that counts. xD I am one of those people who gets really irritated when a band changes because they get popular--but it's more because what usually happens is a band hits it big with one single or one album... and then every single sounds just like that one and the next album sounds just like the last album. Or they change their sound to match the popular genre even if the change doesn't suit them.

I don't think being on MTV or any of that stuff means they "sold out"--but there are ways that bands change that ruin them for me. Like when a singer breaks up from their band just to put out a solo album. Ugh. Rock bands break up all the time--but then they go join new bands, form new bands, do solo stuff on their downtime. Like Ozzy--he started his solo career when Black Sabbath kicked him out of the band (lol) and they got Ronnie James Dio to be their new singer. Then they broke up and Ozzy got back together with them and now Ozzy is doing a new solo thing, and Dio is back with Sabbath--only they call themselves "Heaven and Hell". And eventually they'll all shuffle around again.

I also hate boy/girl/whatever groups. The Pussycat Dolls is a stage show. Not a recording group, darnit!

I went off on a rant. u__u;

Matty
*^_^*
Send a message via AIM to Matty

Old 04-23-2007, 03:12 AM

Well, I get more aggravated when before they got popular you let a friend listen to them, and they were like "Eww, I hate them!" Then when they get popular the person you let listen to the band not even a month before are like "I love that band, I've been listening to them since their first song ever came out."