SyntheticVermin
(-.-)zzZ

Old 12-28-2007, 11:16 PM

I hate elitists like that.
I like what I like, simply because I like it, and there's really all there is to it. I don't care who likes it. If I meet an idiot who likes the same band or whatever that I do, I don't drop the band like that. The world's full of idiots. What's one more?
I end up liking a lot of bands no one's heard of, but I guess that's just my taste.
Actually, sometimes it's a good thing when a band ends up being popular, because then more people will like them, increasing the potential for making friends due to shared interests.

Risque
bing chilling

Old 12-29-2007, 01:58 AM

It never made sense to pick your favorite band depending on how much fame they're receiving, or how much attention they get from the mainstream crowd.

The major label/mainstream bands receive more money, and can reach a larger audience. I do not see the problem with that.

And I for one, am glad my favorite band has been getting more attention lately, sure, it attracts the occasional fan that only thinks the main singer is hot. But there are so many others I feel I can connect with now, and the love is basically being shared around. It's great.

I still laugh at how many indie snobs started whining and bitching when Minus the Bear became MTV's band of the week.

Parinia
(-.-)zzZ
Send a message via AIM to Parinia

Old 12-29-2007, 03:19 AM

There's some bands I kinda like that I'm sure people would call 'em mainstream. But I think Madonna should've stopped singing after a certain point and Gwen Stefani sold out. I wouldn't want anybody to call me a "music snob" though just 'cause of that. It's not like I stopped listening to them completely just because I refuse to listen to/hate the new stuff.

I will still listen to them but I will listen to the "old" them.
I love Lucky Star and other hits by Madonna, I even love "Frozen".
I love Ex-Girlfriend, Don't Speak, and other No Doubt songs.

As for other people, what they listen to is their business...although I do find some people's music tastes as rather odd.

I love Army of Lovers , some of BWO music, and some of Vacuum's songs. (all have something in common...heh)

Bunai
\ (•◡•) /

Old 12-31-2007, 12:45 AM

people dont seem to like when their favorite singer/band
ages and grows faster then they do.

D-Yoop
*^_^*

Old 01-07-2008, 10:17 PM

I guess Im a musicsnob. I get a kick out of finding artists that noone knows and enjoy it. Then whore it around at people that dont know anything about the artist.

Its more of an urge to feel original: unique. I couldnt care less about an artist getting in mainstream. Theres artists like Coldplay that I like alot, and still get in the mainstream. Yet it takes the originality of my own musical taste away and it makes me feel less unique.

Its silly really, yet I keep searching for artists that noone barely knows..

AvengedxxAngel
Dead Account Holder
Send a message via AIM to AvengedxxAngel Send a message via MSN to AvengedxxAngel

Old 01-08-2008, 10:54 AM

I completely agree, Sammi <3

I have a friend like that :3
She hardly listen to anything thats 'mainstream'
It annoys the hell outta me

Sethirius
*^_^*

Old 01-10-2008, 09:01 PM

Oh man, I agree with you SO much. I mean honestly, I just like music. Plain and simple.

dj-jezzi
(-.-)zzZ
Send a message via MSN to dj-jezzi

Old 01-11-2008, 02:22 AM

Well, I'm kind of on the fence for this one. Yes music is something for everybody to listen to and music stations like MTV are doing their jobs to air the music they are expected. However, sometimes I do find myself being one of these "music snobs" because when some artists go mainstream they change there style to suit a broader audience. I will sometimes still listen to music by these artists, but it doesn't seem the same for me.

xXx Bloody Rose xXx
Dead Account Holder

Old 01-12-2008, 04:15 PM

I hate when people stop listening to a artist or song just because its on MTV or something. If you truly liked the artist/song then you wouldn't care where it was airing. But I also get pissed off when a radio station plays a song to death. Then I might stop listening to a song for a while because I heard so much that I'm sick of it, -.-". But other than that I don't care where it plays or who listens to it as long as I like it, ^.^

EpoxyObsession
Dead Account Holder

Old 01-17-2008, 04:17 AM

Anyone who determines their musical tastes based on what is or is not popular is an idiot who is missing out on great music, whether that person is blindly mainstream or blindly anti-mainstream.

That said.

I totally understand people's frustration with the hordes of overplaying radio addicted psychopaths who ruin good music by shoving it down our faces and depriving it of any meaning it once had. When 23912487312983 preteens gush over a particular band, obsess over one of their mediocre songs, and generally embarrass an entire fanbase, it's hard to take anyone who likes that band seriously. And if you can't take the fanbase seriously in any way whatsoever, it's hard to continue to respect the band.

That happened to me with Panic! at the Disco. I used to really, really like them. Then a combination of me listening to all of their songs every single day for about a month, and then being forced to listen to I Write Sins Not Tragedies every single day for another month whenever I turned on the radio, and then having to endure ridiculous children claiming to know everything about the band after having heard the aforementioned semi-decent song, combined to ruin the band for me. At least for now. If/when they produce some new material, I'll listen and perhaps re-evaluate.

My point? Overkill is overkill. And overkill is annoying.

Penny
*^_^*

Old 01-20-2008, 12:44 PM

As my friend says, one must "Get off one's high horse and ride the music pony".

When one rides a music pony one doesn't have to judge a person's music taste on how high on the charts it is.
And on the music pony, one can feel free to judge music on how it sounds, not it's image.

I do have issues with that though. I guess it's a combination of ego and low music self esteem. Which sounds backwards... but it makes sense in a way. I have such a negative image of pop music and it's followers (proving my point with my biased language there) I shy away from mainstream.

Question is. Why do I feel bad having Evanesence in my music collection?

I need to work on having integrity in my taste.