aglassbucket
(^._.^)ノ
Send a message via MSN to aglassbucket

Old 04-23-2007, 08:44 PM

I agree with you Sammi.
I know people who one minute are like THIS IS MY FAVORITE BAND. But the next week they say they hate them and everyone loves them blahblah.
I could care less.
Music is music.
Everybody likes different styles, from different times etc etc.
I listen to multiple styles of music. I love it all.
I could care less what is in style or what somebody thinks.
People also listen to music to impress others or just because it's what is in.
>>Bleh.

mooglebunny
Truly, truly outrageous!
Send a message via MSN to mooglebunny

Old 04-24-2007, 03:19 PM

Oh, The Fratellis are cool, I heard about them from checking out the School of Lock shows for Ajikan. xD 8)

I think that bands are cool even if they are "mainstream" or not. The networks sometimes just feel that it's good to show off other artists who are good and don't have a lot of plays. I think that's all.

Music is music, no matter what kind of a status it has. :? I listen to bands that I am sure are mainstream, but then, I listen to Mainstream J-Rock bands and stuff. Remember, some of those visual kei bands are Mainstream in Japan. :wink: :lol:

Caroline
stay gold

Old 04-25-2007, 10:01 AM

• Mmhm, it really bugs me when people think that when a band becomes popular it means they "sold out," or when people stop liking a band just because they got on the radio or on television. I have to admit, it's a little... I don't know, annoying? when you liked a band/artist from the start and all of a sudden they become popular and people are all over them... but as a fan, I'm also glad for their success as musicians. I don't think any less of their music or members just because they used to only play in their hometown and now they're touring the world.

poet`s playground
(ο・㉨・&...
Send a message via AIM to poet`s playground Send a message via Yahoo to poet`s playground

Old 04-25-2007, 04:36 PM

• I'm also a major fan of Green Day, and when so many people hate them (it's tough to find a forum or website where the people who know about them and hate them don't outnumber the people who like them and don't care about them combined) it gets very frustrating. I've always thought it was silly to hate a band just because they went mainstream. And bands do want to be bigger than just that indie band that plays for tiny clubs all the time and has to work other jobs in order to pay the rent. If they really love their music, they want it to be their life. That requires at least a fair little bit of popularity. When bands get bigger, their old fans become bitter at new fans coming in because they perceive that the new fans are only fans because they're popular. Well sure: they've only heard of them because they're popular, and it isn't exactly fair to be bitter at someone for not being engulfed in the scene. I can understand not wanting to be alienated by the band, but honestly, maybe they feel the same way, and don't want to be forgotten by the world. And in any case, there's no need to hate them for wanting to make a living.

Lysander
⊙ω⊙
Send a message via MSN to Lysander

Old 09-19-2007, 12:52 PM

I agree with you. I have quite a few friends who wont listen to a lot of music because it's mainstreamed. I can understand if they're sick of a song or something from hearing it to often, but refusing to hear the music at all because of it being mainstream is ridiculous. I listen to quite a few mainstream bands because I think their musical style and lyrics are good. I also listen to quite a few bands that aren't mainstream. Though I'll never say I wont listen to a band on the argument of it being mainstream. Maybe if their music is actually crappy and the people who signed them were idiots.

Marron
⊙ω⊙
n/a

Old 09-19-2007, 05:06 PM

I honestly just don't like the music that's going around right now. The style that's mainstream at the moment just doesn't suit my tastes at all, so I don't listen to it. It's too.. emo. xD Seriously. And a lot of the vocals sound really nasal to me, which just makes it even worse.

But hey, why judge people's taste in music? Some people don't like country, some people don't like rap, some people don't like rock, and maybe - just maybe - some people don't like mainstream stuff. Sometimes it's because of the sound of the music itself and sometimes its because the new fans that the band has gained are total fucking idiots.

I used to like Miyavi waaaaaay back when and was aware of him during the Due le Quartz break up, but I absolutely can't stand him now thanks to his fanbase since he's gone mainstream. All of the insane fan girls shouting " =^_______^= omgomgomgomg MIYAVI-SAMA IS SO HAWT. I want to go to Japan just to see one of his concerts! * O * I'M GOING TO KISS HIM OMG! " really ends up getting to you and you're just sort of put off by the whole thing, you know?

Feralin
⊙ω⊙
Send a message via MSN to Feralin

Old 09-21-2007, 02:41 PM

Ugh, yeah, I hate that.

Popularity of a band shouldn't matter, it's the muuusic. D;

Link
⊙ω⊙
Send a message via MSN to Link

Old 09-21-2007, 04:58 PM

i know EXACTLY what you mean! I hate it because i'm a huge fan of My Chemical Romance and i always get crap from people about it. I can't understand why they can't just understand that i like them for other reasons and i could care less if their music is mainstream... When i listen to it i just feel better, like i can relate and like i'm inspired. It's an amazing feeling and i'm not gonna just give up on liking the band because they are mainstream. =/

Kei
⊙ω⊙

Old 09-25-2007, 11:16 PM

I used to do that a couple years ago
xD
Now it's getting to the point where I just don't care
Because all I listen to is Korean and Japanese music.
<333

Kiralisha
Dead Account Holder

Old 10-04-2007, 01:03 PM

That always bothers me. I listen to whatever I like, regardless of whether they are mainstream, popular or obscure. While I also dislike people who insist that they like a band the most simply because they started listening to them first, I hate it when a band I liked becomes mainstream and then changes their image to fit it. Gah! I never enjoy sell-outs *sigh... Green Day*. So sometimes it is valid to say that I liked a band before they became popular... But not because of the popularity.

Ling
The Daydreamer
Penpal

Old 10-04-2007, 01:57 PM

Yeh, that's pretty strange, and I suppose it would be annoying to some extent, some people are just weird like that. If I met someone like that which I haven't, yet, I'd probably just ignore them.

Anyway, I listen to mostly 'mainstream' music, only because its the easiest to access.

Bebe Kiki
(-.-)zzZ
Send a message via MSN to Bebe Kiki

Old 10-07-2007, 06:53 AM

i really like that fall out boy and my chem are mainstream now, but i hate the fact that they changed their styles for it. i still like them, but i rarely listen to their new albums.
there are some bands that have gotten better with their music, like the academy is... and paramore when they became more well known.

marissa12345
⊙ω⊙

Old 10-07-2007, 01:09 PM

Idk.

I don't like MCR. I think they suck BIG time.

Heres a list of mainstream bands/artists i hate!

Avial
Fall Out Boy
Panic At the disco
and other bands i cant think of right now. lol.

Karine
\ (•◡•) /
Send a message via AIM to Karine Send a message via MSN to Karine

Old 10-07-2007, 09:49 PM

During school once, everyone had to say what their favourite song was, and the one i said wasn't popular, so everyone gave me weird looks. -_-; Majority of my music on my iPod is mainstream, but from time to time i search the iTunes store looking for good songs. i've found some really good bands. C: EDIT:
Sometimes i hate it when bands go mainstream, because then their songs get over-played -coughcough Hey There Delilah coughcough- and i start hating the song. xD

iViolent
⊙ω⊙

Old 10-07-2007, 11:15 PM

bands are great.
they sellout.
they suck.

thats just the way it is.

LollieDollie
⊙ω⊙
Send a message via MSN to LollieDollie

Old 10-11-2007, 05:20 PM

Well really if you find a band that nobody really listens to that lives in your town, city, etc it kinda feels like your own lil world and when they get all big and everything you get to not liking them as much because its kinda like that whole lil sick twisted world got taken away from you.I mean i was a huge huge huge Dir en grey fan in 2001 and now well i kinda dont listen to them anymore mainly from what happened between my best friends.

When Dir en grey started touring the U.S. i thought it was great i would be finally be able to see my fav band in person.Well my best friends hated them so much they claimed Kyo was scary.Well it came time to come to Atlanta.I couldnt go because my mother cant stand being in a croud like that so she decided to take me to another concert.And i said alright and i was fine with it.Well the concert day came and i was all alone and a bit sad that day.Turns out my best friends who claimed they hated them went to their concert, bought their shirts and etc, and they claim that Kyo is their whore and Dir en grey is the best band ever.Needless to say it pissed me off a bit.Not that they liked the band but claimed they hated them and then went to the concert and all of a sudden started loving them.

Mainstream bands do get old though and annoy you.The same thing with MCR.I started listening to them since they started and *true story* i had their pics on my folder and some girl was in one of my classes.The next year when "Im Not Okay" and "Helena" came out the same girl came up to me and went "You know i thought you had made up that band" uhm yeah how can i make up a band when i have their cds and stuff?Thats kinda dumb.Anyways but yeah before MCR was mainstream i loved them then everyone started singing Helena and Im Not Okay.Then their new stuff came out.I really dont like it as much.Some of their songs yeah okay but their 2nd album still the best by far.And then i dont know how this happened FOB became mainstream out of nowhere.And then Pete put a pic of his ding-ding on the internet....okay im going off topic.

Anyways all im saying is that when somebody doesnt have anything and they have a great lil band all to theirself that no one around them listens to it means everything to them but as soon as it goes mainstream then they lose that feeling.

Kami Swiftsong
⊙ω⊙
Send a message via AIM to Kami Swiftsong Send a message via MSN to Kami Swiftsong

Old 10-11-2007, 09:06 PM

It seems like the whole issue of mainstream and all that just suddenly blew into crazy proportions. I never used to care, or hear anyone else caring about, whether a band was mainstream or not. For me, it's about what sounds good.

I listen to stuff on the radio and love it, I listen to really random stuff I found on the corner of the internet somewhere and love it too. If a band is mainstream, then good for them, it means they'll be harder to see in concert. As long as the music stays beast, it's all good.

Now, when the music starts sounding all the same, or the band starts to do things that don't correspond with their previous image (One that I liked), that's when it's time to move on.

What I do hate, though, is how some younger girl's magazines, my little sister's magazines (age 12), start talking about 'OMG PETE WENTZ IS SO CUTE' and all that. I just find that pathetic. :/

Brain-Damnage
⊙ω⊙

Old 10-11-2007, 10:17 PM

Honestly, I just can't stand 97% of the crap that unfortunately is mainstream these days...I don't avoid it because it's mainstream, but because I think it generally sucks. I'm a rock n' roll fanatic, and somewhere between the eighties and the nineties, rock n' roll took a dirt nap. What they try to pass off as rock these days just doesn't cut it for me...I miss real guitar riffs and actual lyrics...

Kurai Amaya
⊙ω⊙

Old 10-13-2007, 08:14 PM

I'm the kind of person who starts listening to a band years before it becomes mainstream. So, by the time it's mainstream, I'm usually tired of it. Unless the band is really, really good, and I'm a hardcore fan of it.

But other than that... I have a very wide variety of music. I like a little bit of everything.

The only problem I have with bands I really like going mainstream is how there are always those over-the-top fangirls. They'll be going on about how it's the best band ever, blah, blah, blah. Then they'll act like they know EVERYTHING about the band, and I'm just here like, "Hellooo? Been a fan for 3 years?"
I don't know, it's hard to explain. But it's fun when you listen to music that no one else knows about. Like a little secret. When the band becomes mainstream, however, all you hear about is the band. It takes away the secret.

And... to be frank, once a band goes mainstream, they usually start sucking. Not in all cases, but it does happen a lot.

Machika
⊙ω⊙

Old 10-14-2007, 12:20 AM

UGH I KNOW! I hate it when people are like "they sold out" because they got popular. Or think it's cool if they like "unknown bands".

If you like the a bands music why does it matter whether they are on MTV or not. Sheesh. If the band's music changes and you don't like it, move on, and go onto another band. There are plenty of people who still like that band and don't want to hear your crap.

I really would love to see people who complain about "sells outs etc" get in a band/get popular/make lots of money and see how if they continue to just "make music for the music and not the money". Why can't they do it for both?

ElendarSilvermoon
*^_^*

Old 10-14-2007, 01:40 AM

I've stopped watching big channels like mtv and listening to the radio much, though not all of the music is bad. I don't mind stuff like Linkin Park or Rob Zombie every so often, but for the most part mainstream music is boring and uncreative. There's too much of the same crap out there. After the umpteenmillionth Fall Out Boy or My Chemical Romance clone it gets annoying(why you would want to be like either of those terrible bands is beyond me)

And before you go at me for saying what I've said above, I'll counter. The two types of fans that annoy me the most are these:

1) The people who only like a band because their lead singer/other member is hot.

2)The type of fan who automatically puts the knife to your throat and assumes that you only dislike a band because they're mainstream, due to the fact that you dislike most mainstream music in general.

Continue on to my next paragraph...

Mainstream music is boring for the most part, but there is some good stuff out there. For those of you who are too "lazy" or whatever to find music other than what's being forcefed to you, you're seriously missing out on alot of amazing music that you wouldn't hear otherwise.

If you simply like that music, then more power to ya. I personally think these bands needed more practice with their instruments before they got signed.

/rant

Smellerbee
\ (•◡•) /

Old 11-29-2007, 04:16 AM

Edit.

Last edited by Smellerbee; 10-30-2010 at 05:56 AM..

moosesmeeses
*^_^*

Old 11-29-2007, 04:50 AM

Amen to that .

Runihura
⊙ω⊙
Send a message via Yahoo to Runihura

Old 11-29-2007, 02:31 PM

i'm not a music snob. In fact, I'm glad for my bands when they hit it. I was with HIM for a long time and when they hit it big, it just made me feel like I had more people to talk to about them.
now I'm jsut waiting for Jrock to hit it like finnish rock, because only anime geeks have any inkling about why my cat is named Meevs D;

Popcorn Gun
(。⌒∇⌒)&...

Penpal

Old 12-01-2007, 09:37 PM

If I liked a band before it was popular and it became "mainstream" I'd be proud.
Why?
It means they were talented enough for people to like them enough too fund their music. Meaning less of those one hit wonders, and more songs for me and other fans to enjoy.
Those people are too caught up in being "original" they lose sight of why the music is important.
Plus the more people that like the music, the more people there are to discuss the band ,or solo artist, with.