Omi
Artistic Angel

Old 01-03-2016, 02:50 AM

When I was in college, I took plenty of art/painting type classes. It wasn't a huge art-related university (its focus was on engineering and sciences) so the art department consisted of about 4-5 professors (not including the Art History section). 1 was in charge of sculpture courses, 1 was for photography and related courses, 1 was for Graphic Design, and 2 split duties for painting, drawing, multi-media studies, and similar. So, once you declared your area of study in the art major, you definitely knew who your professor would be for the majority of your time.

The greatest (and worst) impression I ever had in college was in one of the drawing/painting courses. We had to keep a sketchbook all semester and had to have so many pages sketched in every few weeks as homework. Of course, I had some manga and cartoony doodles inside. I forget how the topic came up exactly but my professor began dictating that comics (and anime/manga) were a lower form of art and, in so many words, were pretty valueless in the art world because they were a product that was mass consumed. Art had to be something unique and statement pieces, unedited, and unapologetic, etc. etc. etc.

My face... my face and heart at that very moment.

I understand that everyone has opinions and are entitled to them. I don't harbor anything against her for having an opinion opposed to mine but my respect and trust for her as a teacher, the person entrusted to be open minded and academic, just flew out the classroom door and straight into a speeding dump truck's front end.

Worst yet, I knew I'd be stuck with her for semesters to come.

Last edited by Omi; 01-03-2016 at 03:14 AM..

Cosmic

Old 01-09-2016, 04:48 AM

My art teachers through my college career told me it isn't art. lol I never liked anime, but art is whatever people think it is. Heck some people like Jeff Koons art, and he has put new vaccums in cases and called it art. I don't get it, but someone clearly thought it was art because they spent a million on it.

salvete
(づ ̄ ³ ̄) ...

Old 01-13-2016, 02:31 AM

I think anything that results from a creative process can be considered art. Anime and manga, in my opinion, are DEFINITELY art.

IcetheArtist
Vampire

Old 06-03-2016, 09:42 AM

~ Wow, this has been going on since 2011?
iBelieve anime /manga serves it's purpose in the art community
It is lacking in major details (in the face mostly)
iBelieve this simplistic style is because it gets the point across
and for having to draw characters multiple times
(lyke in anime or manga comics) it is so much easier on the artist
but to be claimed as a primary art style for most artist
it seems kind of lazy. quite a few western style cartoon styles also lack
details (facial details, shading, highlighting) again for the purpose of
saving time in animation. Also now a days people will slap anything
together and call it anime style ~

Aimless.Wanderer
A.K.A ii-AznGurlDream-ii

Old 08-21-2016, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Explodey View Post
There's this group of people in my town who call themselves The Aesthetians. They don't think cartoons, doodles, watercolor, anything made on the computer, or collages are art. They also hate most music, citing anything not classical as not music.

Probably because none of them play very well. I like to make fun of these guys, to be honest. They used to give out these gold and black buttons with a stylized A on it; I took one and carve/scratched it into an anarchist A and wore that around for awhile.
They sound really pompous to be honest. I'm laughing at the anarchist A carving though [:rofl]

I've never heard of anyone not considering anime/manga style an art form. I'd think because it's so overused and also because it's become so saturated with how people draw (including me) that it's not really considered a legitimate art form anymore.

I've always thought that an art form was something that was only passed down from generation to generation to only a select few people (wayyy back in the old days). And maybe that's coming from people that think of art form as only fitting this narrow definition. But I'm not too into anime/manga culture anymore so I don't know how that works [:sweat]