Iltu
do you think pigeons have feelin...

Old 12-26-2010, 05:12 PM

That's a good plan. :yes: I always have a much harder time finding graphic novels at used book stores and library sales.

Knerd
I put the K in "Misspelling"

Assistant Administrator

Old 12-26-2010, 07:34 PM

Exactly! I've only found oddball comics and graphic novels second hand. If I want to read anything that came out within the past 10 years, I really have to buy it new. :lol:

ghostPastry
👻🧁

Old 12-26-2010, 09:56 PM

If you're looking at graphic novels, you should consider getting Koko Be Good by Jen Wang. It's the best graphic novel I've ever read, and I've read quite a few... the art is superb, the story is touching and the characters are relatable. I'm a bit obsessed with it. :drool:

Cherry Who?
Spooky Scary Skeleton

Old 12-27-2010, 02:31 AM

I prefer used books too, Knerd. As much as I'd like to support the dying book industry, they simply charge too much. I cannot at all justify spending $15 on a new book. I'm inclined to think that some life could be breathed into the market if they drastically dropped the prices of books. At first it would be a big blow, but if it was largely publicized, I think more people would start looking. No one reads, but the thing is that most people would like to. If the books are more accessible (less pricey), I think there'll be a larger market for them.

I think the same of all media, really... But books stand out as they seem to be one of the worst for pricing. Paying $10 for a CD isn't so bad when you consider how much you'll listen to it, but you'll only read a book 1-3 times, generally.

Iltu

Old 12-27-2010, 10:32 PM

Knerd- That's pretty much the case. :lol: Does your library usually stock graphic novels? Mine tries, but really doesn't do a very good job...

Anna- With a description like that, I'll have to check it out! :drool:

Cherry- I agree. I generally only buy used books, books on sale, or mass market paper back sized books, or else they're just too expensive! Every once in a while I treat myself to a $15 book, or a hardback, but in all honesty, I don't have that sort of money.

Wheeee, yesterday a friend gave me a late Christmas gift of $10 to Borders! I went today, and bought myself The Faith Club, Kaffir Boy, Lustrum, and The Man Who Mistook his Wife for a Hat, so I'd say that's a good mix! And they were all only four dollars each. I had Starfishing, Firefly Rain, a book on cryptozoology, and a book of secret symbols in my hand, but I ended up deciding to buy only a few things. If the ones I didn't get stick with me, I can always pick them up from the library or buy them if I happen to see them again. :yes:

Last edited by Iltu; 12-28-2010 at 04:59 AM..

Cherry Who?
Spooky Scary Skeleton

Old 12-28-2010, 04:53 AM

Whoa, $4 books? New? Were they having a sale?

Iltu

Old 12-28-2010, 04:56 AM

Some looked new, others looked like they were returns who'd been treated less than kindly. It wasn't a store wide sale or anything, but they had a big table at the front of the store with boxes of books on sale for $4. :yes: There was some good stuff in there

Cherry Who?
Spooky Scary Skeleton

Old 12-28-2010, 06:12 AM

This is my jealous face.

Knerd
I put the K in "Misspelling"

Assistant Administrator

Old 12-28-2010, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iltu View Post
Knerd- That's pretty much the case. :lol: Does your library usually stock graphic novels? Mine tries, but really doesn't do a very good job...

The Man Who Mistook his Wife for a Hat
Sadly, my new university's library isn't that great. It really makes me miss my old college - That library was so much more comprehensive and easy to navigate.

But that Oliver Sacks book is amazing! He writes some of my favorite case studies.

Iltu

Old 12-28-2010, 06:00 PM

*cowers from Cherry's jealous face*

Knerd- Augh, that's got to suck, going from something great to something... not. I know I'm gonna miss my local library system when I move, it absolutely amazing.

Oh, good! When I was at the bookstore, I ran into a friend who said he'd picked that book up because he thought it was going to be some sort of strange thriller/murder mystery, and ended up really liking it even though it was a book of case studies. So now I'm super excited to read it, since I've heard from both of you!

Cherry Who?
Spooky Scary Skeleton

Old 12-28-2010, 10:53 PM

I have a shirt whose title is a play off that book. :lol: That's where my familiarity with it ends, though. What's it about?

Iltu

Old 12-28-2010, 11:06 PM

That shirt is so funny! I want one... Now here's MY jealous face.
It's a book of case histories of patients with neurological disorders. I'm looking forward to reading it!

Cherry Who?
Spooky Scary Skeleton

Old 12-28-2010, 11:29 PM

I love it! I just wish lilac were a more flattering color.

Ooh, that does sound interesting! I'll have to keep my eye open for a copy.

Iltu

Old 12-29-2010, 01:21 AM

I hear you! I look better in really vivid colors.

I'll let you know how it is!

Sizzla
Gangsta Biatch
Send a message via AIM to Sizzla

Old 12-29-2010, 02:56 AM

Sooo, I've only gotten through 20 books this year. T_T I meant to do more than last year, but I ended up reading a lot of magazines at the gym, instead of books. :sweat: Ah well. I do love magazines. XD I suppose I could count them, but meh... It's not like they're great works of non-fiction or anything. *read about "why women should get to know their vaginas" and a looked at a great kettlebell workout today, among other amusing articles* :rofl:

Oh Em Gee! I've been meaning to read Oliver Sacks! I keep hearing about his books on NPR, and I keep forgetting to add him to my list! *goes to do so now*

Cherry Who?
Spooky Scary Skeleton

Old 12-29-2010, 04:55 AM

I tried to do that once, it would never answer my questions.

Shadami
the one and only

Penpal
Send a message via Yahoo to Shadami

Old 12-31-2010, 02:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iltu View Post
I got some money for Christmas, so I can buy me some books! *dances*
My best friend got me Way of the Shadows and Shadow's Edge by Brent Weeks, though. I love those books, but didn't have them, so yay! Soon I'll do some rereading. :yes:

Grats, Shidami! Sounds like you've made good headway.
Are there any books you asked for for Christmas? c:
Actually, I didn't ask for anything for Christmas because I don't celebrate it and therefore didn't expect anything. xD but I did get several books anyways. A couple tarot reading books, an Artemis Fowl book, Ghostlight, and book 1,2, and 3 of Belgariad

also, I reallly want to read the way of the shadows series.

Cherry Who?
Spooky Scary Skeleton

Old 01-01-2011, 04:44 AM

So I collect antique hardcover books, because they tend to be so gorgeous. But it kills me that I can't open them up and read them. :lol: Like, just now I opened one just to peek inside it (was looking for the copyright date. I bought it yesterday and hadn't seen how old it was yet) and it cracked where the cover meets the spine, ALL the way down. :( Luckily the crack wasn't so deep that the cover came unattached, but it's very close to coming unattached now, so I can't really open it again. I don't know that I'd sit down and read some of these front to back, but I wish I had the freedom to flip through them.
Anyone else collect.own/like antique books and have this problem?

Shadami
the one and only

Penpal
Send a message via Yahoo to Shadami

Old 01-03-2011, 02:38 AM

My old books all have missing covers. Or are sitting on shelves. But alot of them have been getting thrown away sadly because its books that have been in my Grandmother's house for years and now are being sold. =[

But, sadly, I feel horrible about not having posted around this thread more often during this event. It was just hard to get online at all because of family stuffs. Hopefully I shall be around the normal thread more often after this. Ciao

and a Happy New Year once again to all.