Remyre
*^_^*

Old 12-25-2011, 08:11 AM

I've tried role playing before with my ex, I was told I was alright for never doing it before. But I kinda became obsessed with it after that first time. Now I'm a noob, so I don't really know all the proper shite, but I want to learn. Is there anyone willing to help me out here?

Remyre
*^_^*

Old 12-26-2011, 06:16 AM

So, I've been interested in role playing due to my ex being obsessed with it. But I don't really know much about it... is there anyone who could possibly explain some things for me? Just like, really what's the purpose of it? and what's acceptable, unacceptable, or expected... what makes a good rp partner? and so on and so forth. Not gonna lie, my ultimate goal is to become good at it to steal her away from the stupid ho she left me for!! XDDDD

Yeah.. maybe it's a dumb idea, but I do feel like I /could/ be good at it!! So why not give it a try?? Anyone willing to give me some pointers?

Ikuto Akihiko Hasegawa
is full of flavor

Old 12-27-2011, 04:25 PM

Hello~ I thought I'd post a couple of links to try and help you out!

Here's our basic roleplay guide: Click here
It's got helpful tips and terminology that I think will really help you out. :yes:

And there is CK's Prompt thread: Click here
This thread's got tons of ideas already set out for people to try their hand at writing and even get critiques if they want.

So check these two out and hopefully they're of some help to you! :D

Remyre
*^_^*

Old 12-27-2011, 06:04 PM

Thanks Ikuto!! I'll have to check those out! XD

Wavi
Awesome doesn't even begin to ex...

Old 12-29-2011, 03:08 PM

I would be more than willing to help you out. Contact me via PM and we can discuss it further. :)

Last edited by Seridano; 12-24-2013 at 05:18 AM..

Remyre
*^_^*

Old 12-31-2011, 03:55 AM

That would be awesome! I'll have to do that... I'm a little paranoid about rp-ing.. don't know why! XD

King of Bedlam
Fame = Demise
Send a message via MSN to King of Bedlam Send a message via Yahoo to King of Bedlam

Old 01-04-2012, 01:49 AM

Rping is fun, you are getting into a good hobby that can improve your writing skill, but still, there is no need to get worried about it. A few things I always keep in mind is that you have no control over others... Even if that just means making contact with them, you always have to give him the moment to move out of the way if that is what they want to do... This is especially important in fighting, provided that the opposite person isn't giving his character too much power, you should be able to get a hit in.

Also, detail is your friend. When you are writing, the picture that you can create for your rping partner can be as vivid as you want it to be, so make it as vivid as possible :D. A detailed rper causes less confusion and is well liked by his fellow players.

If there is anything specific you want to ask about, go ahead and hit me up, I've been doing this for years now, so I've been around the block. Good luck and happy rping.

Fiona_Watergate
Legum servi sumus ut liberi esse...

Old 01-04-2012, 02:13 AM

If you would like I could do an rp with you and we can help as we go. ^_^

Drexy4ever
Don't start nothin', won't be no...

Old 01-10-2012, 02:50 AM

Well, it helps if you describe things well, give people a good, clear idea of what you're trying to say and of the setting.
I agree with sdgfam08, if you'd like to RP with me to train I'm good with that. I won't mind if you are a newbie. I'm pretty patient.

The-Black_King
⊙ω⊙

Old 01-10-2012, 06:57 AM

If it helps you could pm me then I could help you with coming up with good rp ideas by showing you a few then seeing if you can come up with one or if not id love to rp with you

~Black Petals~
⊙ω⊙

Old 04-15-2012, 08:29 PM

My commentaries on how to improve:
Role play with quality literature in mind and rp often. :) Its like anything else, the more you practice a skill (hopefully) the better you become. Through various experiences and encounters with other roleplayers, you can learn through seeing examples from others. Not saying to copy another person's style of role playing, but adopting good habits and recognizing how to interact with others. Have fun, be creative and if you feel like it, go ahead and switch up your character if you like. (ie. If you normally play a warrior, play a mage/magician. If you're comfortable, try playing a different gender and/or age that is younger or older than you normally practice) Also, the key to a fun role play is sticking to the traits and characteristics assigned to the player. Then again that might just be my opinion, but it makes the character more believable through the limitations that we've set. :) (its like being in theatre and playing a role, only, the role is the one we've set and we need to stick by the role we've set)
Keep in mind the story/plot and have fun!

Monbohn
⊙ω⊙

Old 05-23-2012, 11:24 PM

I am thinking of trying to RP as well and have never done it before. I've seen in the threads here that there seem to be a lot of different types of RP's and I'm a little bit afraid to try. What if I'm not good at it? What if I don't like it? I wouldn't want to leave someone hanging if I found out I didn't like it. As far as battling I'm soooo not a competitive type person so I'm not sure I'd be good at that kind of thing. Not to mention I don't know much about weapons and such. This stuff all makes it scary for me to try. Plus I am very, very shy and socially awkward. So not sure if RPing is something I can get comfortable with. But the advice people have given here seems like good advice and everyone seems so helpful. :)

Wavi
Awesome doesn't even begin to ex...

Old 05-24-2012, 12:45 PM

I wouldn't worry so much about not being good at it. It's not something you can really judge. An idea that's brilliant to me might be the dumbest idea to you. Something you think is just so freaking awesome could be viewed as lame by someone else. With so many personalities and likes, it's hard to judge what'll be a hit and what'll be a miss. You just have to take a stab at it and run with it. As the story goes along and if you find yourself growing bored of it, talk to your partner(s). Sometimes they have great ideas that'll help you get interested in the story again. If not, just apologize and scrap the idea. I do that all the time. I'll start something and be like, "Well, this was fun for a while, but I'm sick of it now. Sorry, but I'm closing this." People are sad, but they, for the most part, understand. If you're not passionate about your story, then what's the point of dragging it on?

Definitely try before you count yourself out. And, if all else fails, and you don't like being a GM (the roleplay creator), just join someone else's story. There are a ton of people on here who've never made a roleplay but they, willingly, join someone else's storyline.

With regards to being shy, I wouldn't let that bother you much. No one on here knows what you're really like as a person unless you tell them and who's to say you're not downplaying yourself or lying? Just do what makes you happy and what you enjoy. You'll find people like you on here and you'll get your own little club of friends. It's great. All you need to do is take a leap of faith and not get upset if you fail the first zillion times. It takes practice and some serious dedication but anyone can do it if they put their mind, heart, and soul into it.

Strude Ros
The Infallible

Old 10-04-2013, 05:30 AM

If you want to learn how to RP well, take up D&D or some other table top roleplaying game. Why? because table top RPing will teach you proper roleplay mechanics. Simple as that. Table top games have official rules and guidelines you must follow, and the mechanics you learn can be applied to the very free flow, unofficial paragraph roleplay we all do on boards such as this.

However, in general rping is not rocket science. Paragraph roleplay is even further from. Simply enjoy yourself, write well, learn the mechanics, do some research if you're that desperate to learn anything . . . and disregard literacy levels and rules about paragraph count, because their bulls . . . and don't listen to Wavi, she single handedly managed to ruin and entire roleplay board by running off 90% of the roleplayers.