Vye
  • Challenge Vye in the Arcade

Old 05-27-2010, 05:12 AM

So Hobey Ho everyone,

I'm looking for a few summer books to add to my reading list, so if you've read a book lately that you just couldn't put down than all means write it down and tell me about it, and what you love about it. In exchange I'll give you a list of a few books I'd suggest.

I'm also in need of drawing experience I'm getting a little rusty due to a month off school. And I need to keep it up, because once I get back my professor will be disappointed if my drawings look like crap. Ha ha.

Overall just stay and chat. Haha. I'll give out a freebie here and there. And if I promise you one, no worries if the event is over I'll still get it to you.

Sincerely,
Vye

Last edited by Vye; 05-27-2010 at 05:14 PM..

RisikaFox
  • Challenge RisikaFox in the Arcade

Old 05-27-2010, 08:26 AM

Sadly, I've been too busy to read many books lately. But I do like your siggy. ^^ I didn't realize anybody else listened to Relient K. xD

BoomBoom
Send a message via AIM to BoomBoom
  • Challenge BoomBoom in the Arcade

Old 05-27-2010, 08:34 AM

I'd love to stay and chat(awesome avvie by the waaay - loving the goatee!) Sadly I read very little - unless you count tabletop RP rulebooks and comics as books? X3

What I do, do is draw! X3 We can talk about arts if you wish? Otherwise I'm pretty useless - but feel free to suggest some books for me anyways! I should really take up reading!

mathwl1020
  • Challenge mathwl1020 in the Arcade

Old 05-27-2010, 08:38 AM

hm, books that I just couldn't put down. let me think
*thinks for a minute*
the list is waaaay too long, so I'm just going to give you a few good ones.
the inheiritance series by christopher paolini is good, but I haven't finished the third book yet.

aphrodite remix
Send a message via MSN to aphrodite remix
  • Challenge aphrodite remix in the Arcade

Old 05-27-2010, 08:41 AM

Books? I don't read words, I read minds.

Vye

Old 05-27-2010, 02:27 PM

@RisikaFox: Ahh thanks, I love Relient K, they are da bomb. :) That just so happens to be my favourite song by them.

@BoomBoom: Haha I consider reading anything really, I read a lot of books, along with manga, and a few fanfics. Sure what kind of art are you into? I do anime style, cartoons, and realism. Right now I go to college for Graphic Design. Ha ha but the professors are convince that Artist aren't Designers, but I believe their full of it. Anyways what I really enjoyed lately was the "How To Train Your Dragon." the animation in that was so remarkable, I was in awe watching it. I even got the "Art Of How To Train Your Dragon" which is a great book to get, the painting and character drawings are really amazing. Gah I'm talking to mach I'll shut up. Lol.

@mathwl1020: The inheritance series? What's that about? I'll give it a look. :)

@aphrodite remix: Ahh the best thing TO read, and most amusing.

Amice
Send a message via AIM to Amice
  • Challenge Amice in the Arcade

Old 05-27-2010, 02:33 PM

I have to go to work in a bit, but the books I've been reading have been about the history of pirates.

Vye

Old 05-27-2010, 02:45 PM

@Amice: I like pirates, do you have one that you like above all?

Katurine
  • Challenge Katurine in the Arcade

Old 05-27-2010, 03:23 PM

I don't know if you like fantasy books or not, but if you do I'd recommend Elantris by Brandon Sanderson. I've read it a couple of years ago and just couldn't focus on anything else until I finished reading.

Vye

Old 05-27-2010, 03:27 PM

@Katurine: I love fantasy. What is it about?

Katurine
  • Challenge Katurine in the Arcade

Old 05-27-2010, 03:52 PM

There was a city which used to be the world's wonder, it was grand and beautifiul and its citizens, chosen by the city itself, were wise, bright, practically immortal, immune to pain and they could do magic. But one day something happened and everything drastically changed for the worse. When the proper story begins, one of the main characters, prince Raoden of Arelon, is chosen by the city. On the same day princess from another country, Sarene, whom Raoden was supposed to marry and a priest of a very aggressive religion arrive to Arelon. Each of the characters has a different goal.

Vye

Old 05-27-2010, 03:54 PM

@Katurine: Wow it really does sound interesting. When I go to the book store I'll look for it.

Superstition
  • Challenge Superstition in the Arcade

Old 05-27-2010, 04:01 PM

I don't know if you're into Star Wars, but "Courtship of Princess Leia" is really good! I'm not into many other books but I would love some other suggestions!! I am also looking for a summer reading list! :)

Vye

Old 05-27-2010, 04:19 PM

@superstition: I never given a lot of thought to actually reading Star Wars. But maybe I'll give it a try. I read pretty fast. D:

Hmm, well it depends what you like. A recent book/series I've enjoyed are:

The Hunger Games - Suzanne Collins. Really it was an amazing series, there's still one more book coming out in August I believe, but I think anyone would enjoy it.

The Pendragon Adventures - D.J.MacHale. My all time favourite. I read the first book seven years ago, and just finished the last book this year.

The Mortal Instruments - Cassandra Clare. If you like demon slayers, vampire, and werewolves this is a book to read.

The Lovely Bones - Alice Sebold. A good Murder Mystery. Not a typically one that is, because it's already in the person who's murdered point of view.

Those are just a few, but I have tons to suggest.

Kay
  • Challenge Kay in the Arcade

Old 05-27-2010, 04:26 PM

If your looking for a good book to read, one book that I've read recently that I could not put down is The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss.

Alchemist of Anarchy
Send a message via AIM to Alchemist of Anarchy
  • Challenge Alchemist of Anarchy in the Arcade

Old 05-27-2010, 04:31 PM

I'm a bookaholic and have been reading nonestop since my graduation. Right now I'm reading Congo by Michael Crichton. But I just finished reading Fool by Christopher Moore. He's a comic genius with a bit of a dirty mind... I loved it!

Wonder Woman
  • Challenge Wonder Woman in the Arcade

Old 05-27-2010, 04:35 PM

I was replying to this just to say "Name of the Wind" by Patrick Rothfuss. Ah well, I wholeheartedly second the suggestion. ;] The only other fantasy titles I can think of off the top of my head are "Stardust" and "American Gods", both by Neil Gaiman.

If you happen to like science fiction I can probably throw a ton of recommendations at you.

Vye

Old 05-27-2010, 05:08 PM

@Kay: I've never heard of it, but it seems like other users agree, so I must go give it a look.

@Alchemist of Anarchy: Ha ha, well I do have a dirty mind myself, so it could be a little entertaining.

@Wonder Woman: Stardust? Hmm, I remember watching a movie named that, is that what the movie was based off of?

Rhumbullion
Send a message via AIM to Rhumbullion Send a message via MSN to Rhumbullion Send a message via Yahoo to Rhumbullion
  • Challenge Rhumbullion in the Arcade

Old 05-27-2010, 05:17 PM

I am currently reading two books. One more than the other. Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal and The Picture of Dorian Gray.

I will probably put Dorian Gray on hold for a bit because Lamb is effing great.

Alchemist of Anarchy
Send a message via AIM to Alchemist of Anarchy
  • Challenge Alchemist of Anarchy in the Arcade

Old 05-27-2010, 05:22 PM

I just went to one of those antique halls and bought a bunch of paperbacks for a dollar! and most of them are ones that I've been wanting to read for a long time (although most of them have been made into movies... which I haven't seen) like The Silence of the Lambs, Hannibal, The Perfect Storm, and Intensity. Oh I am going to be busy this month!

Kay
  • Challenge Kay in the Arcade

Yes, it is a good book. This is the description on the back of the book:

Quote:
MY NAME IS KVOTHE

I have stolen princesses back from sleeping barrow kings. I burned down the town of Trebon. I have spent the night with Felurian and left with both my sanity and my life. I was expelled from the University at a younger age than most people are allowed in, I tread paths by moonlight that other fear to speak of during the day. I have talked to gods, loved women, and written songs that make the minstrels weep.

You may have heard of me.

So begins a tale unequaled in fantasy literature- the story of a hero told in his own voice. It is a tale of sorrow, a tale of survival, a tale of one man's search for meaning in his universe, and how that search , and the indomitable will that drove it, gave birth to a legend.

Vye

@Rhumbullion: What's it about?

Wonder Woman
  • Challenge Wonder Woman in the Arcade

The movie was based off the book by Neil Gaiman, yes. I thought the movie was pretty enjoyable and entertaining for what it was, but the book had more substance and was better by far. So if you liked the movie at all or if you were interested in the idea of it but the movie didn't quite do it for you, I definitely would recommend the book.

Rhumbullion
Send a message via AIM to Rhumbullion Send a message via MSN to Rhumbullion Send a message via Yahoo to Rhumbullion
  • Challenge Rhumbullion in the Arcade

Old 05-27-2010, 05:25 PM

It's about...The life of Jesus Christ. Only...it's written by his own best friend!

Vye

Old 05-27-2010, 05:27 PM

@Alchemist of Anarchy: Oh are you a fast reader?

@Kay: Wow.... O_o I think I'll actually go get it on the weekend.

@Wonder Woman: Really, I will buy it, I really loved the movie, but I found that I wanted more, you know? More.....about the characters....so it's really that good?

@Rhumbullion: Huh, well I'm not really religious, but I'll give it a try.

Tags