Cardinal Biggles
Patron Saint of Pigeons🌙

Send a message via Yahoo to Cardinal Biggles

Old 04-22-2014, 04:27 AM

Any of you the type to celebrate Earth Day? I know I am, and am always looking for meaningful ways to do it.

This year it's Tuesday, April 22 (Tomorrow!), and a great opportunity landed right in my lap! Or at least, my tumblr dashboard.

NASA is calling for people around the world to participate in a new initiative: The #GlobalSelfie

What am I talking about? Well...

Quote:
NASA invites you -- and everyone else on the planet -- to take part in a worldwide celebration of Earth Day this year with the agency's #GlobalSelfie event.
The year 2014 is a big one for NASA Earth science. Five NASA missions designed to gather critical data about our home planet are launching to space this year. NASA is marking this big year for Earth science with a campaign called Earth Right Now, and as part of this campaign the agency is asking for your help this Earth Day, April 22.
While NASA satellites constantly look at Earth from space, on Earth Day we're asking you to step outside and take a picture of yourself wherever you are on Earth. Then post it to social media using the hashtag #GlobalSelfie.

Here are the details.

What's a #GlobalSelfie?
NASA astronauts brought home the first ever images of the whole planet from space. Now NASA satellites capture new images of Earth every second. For Earth Day we are trying to create an image of Earth from the ground up while also fostering a collection of portraits of the people of Earth. Once those pictures stream around the world on Earth Day, the individual pictures tagged #GlobalSelfie will be used to create a mosaic image of Earth -- a new "Blue Marble" built bit by bit with your photos.
Need an idea of what kind of picture to take? Get outside and show us mountains, parks, the sky, rivers, lakes -- wherever you are, there's your picture. Tell us where you are in a sign, words written in the sand, spelled out with rocks -- or by using the printable signs we've created that are available at the bottom of this page.
The Earth mosaic image itself and a video using the images will be put together and released in May.

How do I take part?

We'll be monitoring photos posted to five social media sites: Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, Google+ and Flickr.
Post your photo to Twitter, Instagram or Google+ using the hashtag #GlobalSelfie, or post it to the #GlobalSelfie event page on Facebook or the #GlobalSelfie group on Flickr. You can also join the #GlobalSelfie Google+ event page.
As mentioned there's a printable sign available on NASA's #GlobalSelfie page: Earth Day 2014 #GlobalSelfie | NASA

This sounds too fun! And as close to being involved in the space program as I will ever be Looks like I need to figure out my instagram Log-in info again!

You in?

hummy
Little birdie ♥

Penpal

Old 04-22-2014, 04:58 AM

I love earth day

Ling
The Daydreamer
Penpal

Old 04-22-2014, 11:47 AM

I actually don't know much about Earth Day...but I do like the idea just based on the name...and the google doodle for Earth Day is rather adorable too..

hummy
Little birdie ♥

Penpal

Old 04-25-2014, 05:30 AM

it was precious wasn't it I still have one up in a tab and I'm going to cry when I have to close it