Esmme
See you later, Cole. "How do you...

Old 01-27-2012, 12:51 AM

Social. Many of us look at the talkative types and see that they run completely different lives. The truth is, not everyone is the social butterfly. Some of us prefer to watch from the sidelines. Sometimes the sidelines are the safest place to be.

By studying the social aspect of life, we come to know one another. Even if it isn't blatant, we are all studying the "social science" of the world around us. The Everdusk Academy is known for its rather unique students and instructors, and even more for its wealth and prestige. The academy isn't limited to merely the rich, but is open to all.

Many students come here in search of a place to fit in. Fresh out of high school, the prey usually wander in like lost sheep. Some of us have been out of school for years and are stepping back into the real of the educated. The rest have been steeped in education and schooling for years, and are just here for a change of scenery. The Everdusk Academy is a place for outcasts, rogues, and those who don't want to be bothered by trivial social matters. You will fall into one of these categories, whether you mean to or not.

Will you abide by the loose social standards in Everdusk, or will you strive to blur the lines? This is a place for the sciences of the social to come into play. This is where we live our lives . . . and where many surprises will interrupt the normality of college life.

~ Inspired by JessehBoo ~
~ The Thread that Inspired "Social Sciences" ~

~ The OOC Chat ~
Click here for full profiles and other bits of important information.

~ Accepted Profiles ~

Ray Koon
"I aspire to be something more than the people I left behind."

I'm one of the Artists

Visual Arts
I am 22 years old.
I have been studying for 3 years.
6 feet, 5 inches
Toned, average build.
Light blond hair that has been died white; pale blue eyes.

Quote:

Daphne Laine

"A woman is lost without her connection to the Goddess
within her."

I'm one of the Artists

I'm majoring in Undecided
I am 22 years old.
I have been studying for 2
years.

5'10"
Average but a bit more of the
slender side of average

Long red hair, and green hazel eyes

Last edited by Esmme; 02-03-2012 at 05:53 AM..

Esmme

Old 01-27-2012, 01:00 AM

~ The Social Categories ~

Quote:
Populars

So the populars are usually rich snobs; Girls that spend their Daddy's money and Guys that drive hundred thousand dollar cars to school. Yet some of them are sweet and just go with the flow, yet are usually pushed around by others of the clique.

Get along with; Jocks, Artsies and Norms
Don't get along with; Goths, Nerds, Gangsters and Rejects

usually in cafeteria or courtyard

Nerds

Teachers pets and homework maniacs fall in here. Usually good at math or science, do extra credit, get straight A's and sometimes find themselves correcting the teacher. They are frequently bullied and tend to avoid the other cliques.

Get along with; Norms and Artists
Don't get along with; Everyone Else

usually in library or math/science lab

Jocks

Football, Soccer, Basketball, they're obsessed with the games. Usually always wearing their team jacket and practicing after school. Tend to bully members of other cliques. Not only guys, there are girl jocks too.

Get along with; Populars, Rejects, Gangsters and Norms
Don't get along with; Nerds, Artists and Goths

usually in gym/pool or cafeteria

Artists

Everyone in this clique is either a painter, photographer, sculptor, or drawer of some sort. The are always found in the art room working on their latest masterpiece or roaming the campus to find their next inspiration.

Get along with; Nerds, Rejects and Norms
Don't get along with; Goths, Gangsters and Jocks

usually in art room or courtyard

Goths

Most in this group wear all black or dark colors, lots of lace, belts, studs, leather and buckles. Some are a horrid nuisance for the professors, while others just listen to dark screamo music. Think "emo."

Get along with; Rejects and Norms
Don't get along with; Artists, Jocks, Nerds, Gangsters and Populars

usually under the outside bleachers or sitting in a corner with their earphones in

Rejects

These are the students no one really wants to associate with. Usually have daddy or mommy issues that turned them into bad seeds with anger issues. Some are hippie like, while other fall under raver or punk.

Get along with; Goths, Artists, Jocks and Norms
Don't get along with; Populars, Gangsters and Nerds

usually under the outside bleachers

Gangsters

In this group everyone listens to rap and wears their pants below their waists. They like to pretend their bad-ass and though some are, others are trying just trying to look tough. They cause a lot of trouble when it comes to clashing with other cliques, especially cause they are very "rep" conscience.

Get along with; Norms and Jocks.
Don't get along with; Nerds, Populars, Artists, Rejects and Goths.

Norms

Most decide to not be part of any group, to just be, well in the middle. They're neutral, if you will. They are pretty okay with everyone, unless the person dislikes one or so groups, but that's their choice.

Get along with; pretty much everyone, unless personal dislike.

usually found anywhere
~ Inspired by JessehBoo ~

Last edited by Esmme; 01-27-2012 at 06:11 AM..

Esmme

Old 01-27-2012, 01:06 AM

~ Profile Skeleton ~

Please send me the profiles via PM.

Quote:
PHP Code:
[LEFT][SIZE="3"][FONT="Century Gothic"][B]INSERT USERNAME[/B][/FONT][/SIZE][/LEFT]

[
CENTER][IMG]insert URL to your character's appearance. REAL PEOPLE PICTURES ONLY. No description or anime, if you please[/IMG]
[COLOR="INSERT POST COLOR HERE"][FONT="Century Gothic"][SIZE="5"]CHARACTER NAME[/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR]
[SIZE="1"][I]"INSERT YOUR CHARACTERS OWN CATCHPHRASE HERE"[/I][/SIZE]

I'
m one of the [color="INSERT POST COLOR HERE"INSERT CLIQUE HERE [/color]

[
B][SIZE="3"]‡[/SIZE][/B][size=1] [B]I'm majoring in [/B]write your Major [/size]
[B][SIZE="3"]‡[/SIZE][/B][size=1] [B]I am [/B]write your age (between 19 and 28, please!)[B]years old.[/B][/size]
[B][SIZE="3"]‡[/SIZE][/B][size=1] [B]I have been studying for[/B] -- [B]years.[/B][/size]
[B][SIZE="3"]‡[/SIZE][/B] [SIZE="1"]write your height (self explanatory)[/SIZE]
[B][SIZE="3"]‡[/SIZE][/B] [SIZE="1"]write your body type (slender, overweight, scrawny, and so on)[/SIZE]
[B][SIZE="3"]‡[/SIZE][/B] [SIZE="1"]write your hair and eye color (since some people use pictures that hide these attributes)[/SIZE]

[/CENTER][JUSTIFY][INDENT][INDENT][INDENT][INDENT]
[
B][SIZE="4"]‡ So Here's My Story;[/SIZE][/B][INDENT][size=1]
write your bio here

[/size][/INDENT][B][SIZE="4"]‡ What Makes Me Who I Am;[/SIZE][/B][INDENT][size=1]
write your personalitylikesdislikespretty much anything you want people to know about your character

[/size][/INDENT][size=1][/size][B][SIZE="4"]‡ What My Class Schedule Is;[/SIZE][/B][INDENT][size=1]
[B]Mondays and Wednesdays[/B]
[
B]Class 1:[/B] (use guide below character sheet to choose)
[
B]Class 2:[/B]  
[
B]Tuesdays and Thursdays[/B]
[
B]Class 3:[/B
[
B]Class 4:[/B]  

[
B]After School extra curricular activities:[/B] (If any)

[
B]Extra Pictures:[/B] (If any)

[/
size][/INDENT][/INDENT][/INDENT][/INDENT][/INDENT][/JUSTIFY][INDENT][INDENT][INDENT][INDENT][/INDENT][/INDENT][/INDENT][/INDENT
~ General Classes ~
Please pick one in each class time.

Class 1:
(On Mondays and Wednesdays)

Art, Science, English, Math, History
Class 2:
(On Mondays and Wednesdays)

Science, English, Math, PE, Photo
Class 3:
(On Tuesdays and Thursdays)

English, Math, Science, History, Video, Languages [any], PE, Band
Class 4:
(On Tuesdays and Thursdays)

English, Math, Science, History, Photo, Art, PE, Band

~ Major ~

Please choose a major. It doesn't have to be specific, though it can be.

English
Math
Art
Science
Physical Education
History
Foreign Language (Please choose one)
Undecided

If you don't see one listed that you'd like, please let me know.

Last edited by Esmme; 01-27-2012 at 06:25 PM..

Esmme

Old 01-27-2012, 07:13 AM

~ Reserved ~
For future trouble.

Esmme

Old 01-28-2012, 05:12 AM

~ Ray Koon ~

Class had finally started. It was a mid-morning class, starting at roughly 10:30 and lasting until noon. This particular classroom was, in Ray Koon's opinion, one of the two rooms worth spending time in. Colors and strange sculptures lined the walls and shelves of the art room, giving it a certain feeling of creativity and imagination. Even the professor seemed to be an odd sort: she wore her hair back in dreadlocks and had a smile that would kill the most resilient of folk.

"Sarah Mark?"

The instructor sketched a line through the students name when there was no response. Continuing on down the list, her throaty voice kept the attention of her students almost as well as the pieces of art about the room. She wasn't hard to pay attention to.

"Ray Koon?"

Ray lifted his hand slowly, ignoring the looks that he received from the other students. "Here, professor." Not only was his name strange, but his died silver hair drew many eyes. He didn't mind when people looked at him, but Ray was never comfortable with the first day of roll-call. That was when his name and his face were matched up.

"Ray Koon? What was he called when he was little? Raccoon?"

The whisper from a few students back made Ray lift his head indignantly. Brushing pale hair from his face, the male sighed and leaned against the art desk before him. The first day is the worst. He was glad when he heard the professor call out the next name.

"Daphne Laine?" The instructor's eyes scanned the room once before finding the girl. "Welcome to the class, Miss Laine."

Ray watched the girl for a moment. He'd seen her walk into the classroom a few minutes after he had sat down. It was nice to know that her name matched her so perfectly. Her pixie-like face and long, fiery hair were an eye-catcher, for sure.

Slowly turning his gaze back to the professor, he waited until they were told to do something. Class started once the list was finished, the wait-listed students let in, and the rest sent out of the room. Everdusk was strict on its allowance policies.
Their first task of the day was to draw. 3D models of flowers and (strange enough) doughnuts were set on revolving stands throughout the room. The instructor had conveniently placed these stands at even intervals so every student had the chance to see one, though all of them from different angles. The intro to the class was given for a few minutes, and when the teacher finished, she grinned at her new students.

"I want you to do some sketches of these models, and when you're finished, get to know one another. This class isn't only about art, but what we can learn from one another."

Ray stood and went to where the paper was kept (the instructor had shown them where she kept extra supplies, though the next class they'd have to bring their own). He knew where it was before the instructor, Professor Zens, had pointed it out to the class. Koon had been in the art studio since he'd first started at Everdusk the year before.
His bright blue eyes caught on the red-head from earlier, Daphne Laine. Taking an extra bit of paper, he handed her a large sheet. With a tight smile, he backed off and headed toward his desk (which was conveniently right across from Daphne's).

nemo.love_22
(^(エ)^)
Banned

Old 01-28-2012, 07:10 AM

*Daphne Laine*

Daphne looked around the room, trying to stifle a yawn. It wasn't even that early. Why was she so tired? She really did have to get a better sleep schedule down... for her own sanity.

Listening to the teacher calling names, she waited till her name was called, wondering if the professor would manage to get her last name right. She noticed a boy with white hair, that seemed uncomfortable when he was called on, which she got - seeing his name. But something about him drew her attention to him. That just seemed to draw her in. She just couldn't place it. She partially jumped when she heard her name called.

"Daphne Laine."

She gave an internal fist pump, and a smile as she raised her hand. "Here."

"Welcome to the class, Miss Laine."

She gave the teacher a smile and signed, really without realizing it *Thank you!* Waiting for the rest of roll call and all that first day business to finish up, so they could get onto the fun part of the class, she started doodling rough sketches of her classmates around her on her sketchpad that she had sitting in front of her, something that she took with her pretty much everywhere she went.

As the professor gave them instructions on what she wanted them to do, she slipped her sketchpad into her bag beside her seat, and got up to get some of the larger paper that was needed for this project, and found a sheet being offered to her by Ray Koon.

"Oh, thank you very much." She gave a slight smile, before trying to brush her hair out of her face, by tucking it behind her ear. Heading back to her desk, she settled down, setting out supplies, before starting on the project.

After a short while, she gave up fighting with her hair, and with a sigh - reached down, grabbing a hair tie off of a clip that she had on the strap of her bag, and put her hair up into a ponytail. Before getting back into her work, she looked around at those closest to her, to see how they were doing, signing unconsciously to herself - which was something that she usually got odd looks for, as she didn't realize she was doing it sometimes.

Esmme

Old 01-28-2012, 09:11 AM

While Daphne was getting settled, Ray couldn't help but watch her. He was focusing on his paper for a moment, but when she started signing the movement took his attention. After a few moments, the male slowly glanced down at his paper and started sketching. Flickering curves and small motions brought the impression of Daphne's hands to life . . . and it had nothing to do with the doughnuts and flowers that were sitting a few feet away.
As Professor Zens made her rounds about the room to check on the students and personally introduce herself, Koon chose to draw a different subject matter: Laine. They had been told to mess around with the charcoal as well as the pencil, so that's just what Ray did. It wasn't long before small sketches filled his page, nearly every one of them an impression from Daphne. It wasn't that he was trying to be odd, but merely that Ray had seen inspiration and just run with it. Why not? He'd drawn the doughnuts and flora too many times to count.

"Well. You've certainly made up your mind about the flowers. Are you tired of drawing them?"

Ray's blue eyes shot up to the instructor in surprise. "No, professor."

"I can see that the tiny spot there is dedicated to my specified model. And what is all this?" Zens eyed it for a while before stepping behind Ray and looking in the same direction he had been. Seeing Daphne, her eyebrows lifted. "I see. Have you spoken to her yet?" When the student replied with silence, she chuckled. "Be sure to say hello. They like that."
Instructor Zens moved from Koon's desk and headed to another student. It wasn't long before she'd reached Laine's desk. "Good morning, miss Daphne. Is this your first year in Everdusk, or have I been missing you in my classes?"

From where he sat Ray set his pencil down. Watching Daphne speak with Zens, he sighed quietly. The best models were ones you never spoke to. It was better when you could imagine someone instead of have their life problems fill the gaps in the story. He ran a hand through his dark hair, groaning mentally when he realized his fingers were smeared with charcoal. Brilliant.
Ray stood, carefully moving past Daphne as she spoke with the professor. There was a sink near the door, luckily. Just as he was reaching to turn the water on, someone bumped him from behind, making him knock over the container of paintbrushes near his elbow. The sting wasn't nearly as terrible as the rage that swept through Koon's eyes.

His expression carefully returned to a neutral mask, and he turned to watch the culprit walk off.

"Yo, sorry man." The gangster shrugged one shoulder and smirked in an uncaring manner. As he sauntered away, his baggy pants low, he received some whispers from his gathered friends.

They'll be trouble. Ray watched him for a few more moments before painstakingly searching under desks and counters for the scattered brushes. Sadly, there was always a war between factions, no matter how "unbiased" the school was. If he hadn't been an artist, Koon would have been classified as one of the emotionally unstable or depressant ones. Luckily for him, he didn't care.

Finally finding another brush, he stuck it in the can that rested on the counter beside the sink. So much for getting cleaned up.

((:XD I know, very manly. He's getting picked on already. :sweat: I figured it's the best way to draw attention to him. :lol:))

nemo.love_22
(^(エ)^)
Banned

Old 01-28-2012, 08:15 PM

Daphne, after looking around a bit, went back to her drawings, preferring to work with pencil over charcoal. After awhile she heard the Professor Zens approach their section, talking to some of the people on the other side from her. Looking at the doughnuts and flowers, made Daphne realize that she should have probably eaten before she came to class. Her stomach gave a bit of a grumble in protest and she did all she could to ignore it. She was definitely planning on going to get something to eat as soon as class was done.

Something the professor said caught her attention and while she continued working on her sketches, she listened in. The boy, Ray, who had caught her attention before when Professor Zens was calling role... She shook her head. She must be hearing things, things she wasn't meant to be listening in on. She had gotten good, over the years, at listening - mainly because she had become her godparent's ears, in a way.

"Good morning, miss Daphne. Is this your first year in Everdusk, or have I been missing you in my classes?"

Daphne jumped, not realizing the professor had come up to her.

"Oh no, ma'am. I've been here for two years. This is just my first class with you."

"Well then, welcome. I like your attempts so far. Why not try a few with the charcoal?"

She nodded, and went to pick up the charcoal, sighing slightly. Looks like it's time to get messy. Every other time she had used charcoal, it always, somehow, ended up on her face. Getting a partial quick drawing done, she found herself looking up seeing movement around her, and she noticed Ray picking up some spilled brushes and some people near by whispering and looking in his direction. She sighed. Some people were just rude.

Getting up she walked over towards the sink, after putting her charcoal down. approaching the sink. Kneeling down and picking up a brush that was still on the floor, she stood back up, brush in hand.

"Hello. Are you alright?"

((Lol. I do get that, and it gave Daph a reason to leave her annoying charcoal... I'm not a fan of charcoal myself and that seems to be coming through in Daph's character. :P Now they've met. ;) Let's see where this goes.))

Last edited by nemo.love_22; 01-28-2012 at 08:18 PM..

Esmme

Old 01-29-2012, 06:55 PM

Ray heard her steps approach, and when Daphne spoke he stood. "I'm fine," he said, meeting her gaze and taking the brush from her hand carefully. "I'm Ray," he said, offering a slight smile. I'm not sure if I want to do this. He wasn't usually very good at keeping relationships moving. If anything, they crashed and burned.
Shifting so he could put the brushes he'd gathered into the tin, Koon offered a hand. "Thank you." He didn't speak in long sentences, or offer additional information, but he was polite enough. Even if he'd been in a talkative mood, he would have found trouble speaking. Eying Daphne's long hair and pretty face, Ray found himself wondering what it would be like to be friends with the girl. He didn't have many friends, or even acquaintances. Perhaps now wasn't too late to start.

"You've been coming to Everdusk for a couple years. This is the first term we have classes together." His blue eyes scanned over her once more, noticing her darkened fingers. She'd been using the charcoal as well. Of course, that reminded him of the reason he'd come to the sink in the first place. Ray chose to ignore the fact that he had a problem with charcoal smears on his cheek and hairline. It doesn't matter.

((:XD Sorry for the shortness! And YES! They've met! :boogie: I'll try to give his character a boost so you aren't the only one talking and being friendly. :sweat:))

nemo.love_22
(^(エ)^)
Banned

Old 01-29-2012, 11:37 PM

Giving him a soft smile after he tool the brush.
"Nice to meet you Ray. I'm Daphne. And I'm glad to hear that you're doing fine."

Giving his hand a shake, she realized that her hands still had quite a bit of charcoal on them, and she looked down, blushing. There was just something about this boy who drew her in, as if she couldn't stay away. What was it about him?

"Oh, yeah. I've been kind of unable to decide on a major. My godmother is an artist and I've always enjoyed hanging out at her studio.... She's told me that I've got natural talent. Maybe this is what I'm meant to do..."

She trailed off, taking her hair out of her ponytail, and running her fingers through it, trying to keep herself from signing, which is what she usually ended up doing when she was nervous.

"I'm sorry, I tend to ramble...

She noticed the charcoal on his fingers, on his cheek, and up by his hairline.

"Oh, charcoal does tend to get everywhere, I'm not a fan of the stuff."

((It's fine. I've been struggling with this post for most of the afternoon. For some reason, Daph just isn't working with me. :XD And Yay! They've met!))

Last edited by nemo.love_22; 01-29-2012 at 11:41 PM..

Esmme

Old 01-30-2012, 08:09 AM

"It's fine," Ray watched Daphne while she talked, and turned to try to wash his hands when she started messing with her hair. He didn't mind it when she "rambled." If anything, it filled what was a potentially awkward silence. Without saying a word, Koon kept his blue eyes on her while Laine spoke of her talent.

"Undecided?" Ray's gaze filled with laughter that never reached his lips. It swiftly changed to an ironic smile. "Most people just don't know what they want to do. Nothing specific calls to them, yet they want to further themselves and become the best worker possible." It was his turn to start on with nonsense. "I suppose it's what drives us. There's a certain amount of satisfaction in doing something we enjoy. There's more satisfaction in a job well done." Put them together, and voila!

There was a moment when the charcoal became the focus of their conversation, and Ray noticed her fingers were just as filthy as his own. "I like it," he said, shrugging one shoulder. He caught the gangster who'd given him trouble miming the conversation that Ray was having with Daphne, and it brought a frown to his features. "It has a certain charm."
The dark stains on his fingertips would take more than one wash to fade, but he was content as it was. As long as the charcoal didn't spread elsewhere, he was fine. Glancing in the mirror that hung beside the sink, Koon sighed quietly. "As if I needed another reason for people to stare at me," he muttered under his breath, reaching up to wipe the charcoal from his cheek. As he was cleaning himself up, Ray glanced to the girl beside him once again. He obviously enjoyed looking at her.

"Do you have a favorite medium?" This was his first try at a decent conversation in a few days, and Ray was mentally floundering for topics. Obviously it wasn't charcoal.

((:XD I know what you mean! I have a feeling long posts are soon going to disappear. . . . LOL!))

nemo.love_22
(^(エ)^)
Banned

Old 01-30-2012, 06:20 PM

Daphne smiled and nodded in agreement with what Ray was saying about striving to do better at something that you enjoyed, as she did agree. She was told fairly often by her godparents, who raised her, that she was her father's daughter, that once she set her mind to something, she wouldn't give up. She smiled sadly, wishing that could remember her biological parents. She was quite young when they passed away, and had spent most of her childhood traveling around the UK with her godparents, which was one of the reasons for the accent that sometimes slipped, when she least expected it, and getting rid of it was quite a challenge. As the more that she became aware of it, the worse it got.

She noticed him frown slightly and looked around trying to figure out what was causing him to frown, catching an eye of the gangster who seemed to be miming she sighed.

"Eh, 'Tis alright, just not yet figured out a way to work with it without getting it everywhere. Causes quite a mess, it does.

She found herself blushing, having noticed him looking at her again. Although she found herself not minding nearly as much as she normally did when the attention was on her. Hearing him mutter something not needing another reason for people to stare at him, and she found herself wondering how hard things were for him.

"My favourite medium...eh? That's a tough one. A few years ago, I fell in love with the challenge that is water colours. Drives me mental from time to time, but they are good at testing my patience, and most of the time I love the results that they give me. What about yaself? What is your favourite medium?"

((I totally agree with you there - they may make appearances from time to time, but soon it will be rare. Also, sorry about the Brit spellings/terms, for some reason I am stuck in a bit of a Brit mindset and can't get myself out.))

Last edited by nemo.love_22; 01-30-2012 at 06:26 PM..

Esmme

Old 02-01-2012, 07:32 AM

((;) Her Brit accent is awesome. Adds character! *purrs*

*giggles a bit at Daphne's pondering* Ah, how hard it is for him? It's his own fault. Don't pity Ray! He's just having a bad day. :sweat:))

Ray found himself smiling while he listened to his new acquaintance. Somehow she made it easier to do so. "Water colour really is a challenge." The brushes were now cleaned up, and they lingered by the sink while talking. Fate was working with them that day, apparently. Even though Koon had difficulties with the more "popular" crowd, he had already met Daphne. Perhaps things would take a turn for the better. It would be nice to have an actual friend.
When asked about his favorite medium, Ray had to think for a few seconds. By the end of that time, he was cleaned up and no longer sporting smears of charcoal. "Acrylic. I've always loved to paint." The colors were so vivid, and he'd grown attached to the feel of a brush in his hand swiftly.

Ray cast a glare at the gangster who sauntered close to them, nearly bumping Daphne on his way to the paper towels. The silver-haired youth took a slow breath and motioned back toward their seats. "Mind if I take a look at your work?" The instant Koon spoke, he regretted it. If Laine asked to see his sketches, she'd find herself and a few other students instead of flowers and pastries.
Trying to ignore the sense of foreboding he felt, Ray cleared his throat and wiped his hands on his pants. The action helped him focus on something other than the heat rising to his cheeks. Why should I be embarrassed? He'd used plenty of other students as models before. But this time I actually spoke to her. It was a rule: he didn't usually speak with his models and inspiration. It usually led to awkward conversations or too much information. Ray liked to keep the pictures separate from any actual person - the emotion came from the art instead of the personality linked to it by a real individual.

nemo.love_22
(^(エ)^)
Banned

Old 02-01-2012, 08:12 AM

((Lol, totally didn't mean to make her have one, but I decided that I should embrace the accent (as there is no way that I can seem to get rid of it - as it's how I've been thinking lately), so I guess she has one.. :rofl:

Oh, that's just who she is. :lol: I wasn't actually having her do that, but she demanded that she feel sorry for him... I'll try to knock some sense into her... but she seems to be a headstrong young woman, apparently.))

"Oh, it totally is a challenge. But it's one I'm willing to attempt."

Watching him clean off the charcoal smudges, she waited for him to answer. She knew not to press, as much as she was used to people always being there with an answer, and all that, some people just needed a bit of time. She gave a smile with his answer.

"From what I'm told, Acrylic was my bio mum's fave medium to experiment with. But she wasn't that good, from what I've seen from the works that my godmum has showed me."

She made a face, having seen some of those attempts. When he asked, about seeing some of her work, she gave a soft nod, as she quickly stepped out of the way of the gangster who almost bumped into her.

"I don't suppose they're any good. But sure, ya can look at them if ya wanna."

She mentally head slapped herself, bloody accent was deciding to make yet another appearance, and the more that she became aware of it, the worse it seemed to get. Making her way back over to their desks, she turned and gave him a smile, noticing that he seemed to be a bit embarrassed.

"So, Ray, what classes are you taking?

Esmme

Old 02-01-2012, 05:33 PM

"Classes?" He took a deep breath before replying. "Art, Science, English and Sign Language." That's when his blue eyes moved to Daphne's hands. He recalled her talking to herself earlier with brief hand motions that made him curious. "Do you sign?" Looking curious, he listened to her reply while looking at the sketches Laine had drawn.
She truly seemed to hate charcoal, and obviously preferred the pencil. Ray pointed to a specific flower and nodded. "This is nice. Do you draw a lot?"

As Koon spoke with Daphne, the professor couldn't help but smile. It was about time that boy spoke with someone. He was certainly an interesting piece to the school's puzzle, and he rarely chose to invest time into any conversations. It would be nice to see Ray with a friend for once.
Professor Zens moved to speak with another student, smiling to herself.

((Ugh, particularly short. I've gotta get to work, sadly!))

nemo.love_22
(^(エ)^)
Banned

Old 02-01-2012, 07:05 PM

Oh, we have two classes in common! And yeah, I do sign - my godfather was born deaf, and my godmother is hearing impaired, but with hearing aids she can hear (somewhat). But I grew up signing and it was something that I picked up fairly quickly.

She looked down at the sketch that he was pointing to.

"Oh, thank you. And whenever I can find free time, I do. I do my best not to leave home without my sketch pad. Ya never know when inspiration will hit ya and ya just need to draw somethin'. I've discovered that inspiration is a fickle thing most of the time."

((It's totally fine! I'm running on about 5 hours of sleep, while trying to frame out a homework assignment in my head for my ASL IV class, and I'm not thinking quite clearly, so my post is a bit short.))

Esmme

Old 02-02-2012, 03:56 AM

"Inspiration is definitely fickle." Ray smiled a bit, though it looked like the expression didn't come to his face very often. Obviously he spent more time frowning and glaring than he did smiling and laughing. He paused for a few moments, listening to what Daphne had to say about her family.
"It's good to have practice. You're probably rather fluent." His blue eyes followed Laine's hands for a moment before he looked back to her work. "At least more fluent than I am." Ray hadn't had much experience with sign, though he'd been studying it for almost a year. 'I don't know much,' he signed haltingly.

The moment he lowered his hands, a pencil flew through the air and bounced off his arm. ((I'm just making these people SUPER immature because we need some conflict. :lol:)) With a frown, Koon looked to the gangster who'd been bothering them. Unfortunately, he looked very intent on his sketches, as did his friends. If they weren't more quiet than they had been all class period, the might have looked innocent. Ray looked as though he might react physically. His expression darkened, and his fists clenched. Somehow he managed to tear his bright gaze away from the group.
"Speaking of inspiration," he said, his voice low and tense, "I want to . . . show you something." Ray had seen the look that Professor Zens had given him: she wanted him to tell Daphne about his sketches. "I use students for inspiration. I hope you don't mind, but you are one of them." She was the main student, really. There were at least four pictures of her (her hands, her smile, and other small blips) that covered most of the page. The rest were obviously other people with different clothing styles.

"Sometimes I sit in the music room just to get inspiration. There's something about how a student puts their heart toward something that makes it so much more . . . alive." Ray slowly calmed down, ignoring the gangsters and their freakish friends. "The second best place on campus is here in the art room. The most interesting people are here." Like you.

((:XD Homework! Ugh, don't remind me. . . . *scrambles off to get some done*))

nemo.love_22
(^(エ)^)
Banned

Old 02-03-2012, 05:08 AM

She smiled watching him sign, slowly.

Oh, I know that I have quite a bit of room to improve, but I know enough to communicate pretty effectively with my family.
She signed back, trying to go slow: Oh, you're not too bad. Would you like to meet my parents? Good practice!

Although she was now questioning herself, due to the fact that she had just met this boy. What would they think... she could thing of that later. It didn't matter. She felt some sort of connection with him, and for now, she was just going to go along with that. Seeing a pencil bounce off his arm, that came from the direction of the gangster that was seemingly giving them trouble earlier, she smacked her forehead.

"Boy, these people are definitely immature!"

She sent a glare in the direction that the pencil came from before turning to look at Ray as he spoke, just listening.

"Oh, of course I don't mind. I'm actually one who loves to go and sit at a coffee shop and just sketch people that I see sitting around. Or walking by. Definitely is pretty interesting. Sure', I'd love to see!"

Noticing how tense that he seemed, even though he was seemingly ignoring the other students, she decided that she couldn't stop herself, and had to speak up.

"Are you alright? Do you want me to tell the teacher about this? Would that make things better?"

((Sorry it took me a full day to write back - I was working like mad on my ASL presentation, which I had to give tonight - thankfully done with classes for the week... so sleeping in tomorrow, and getting my work done this weekend. I need a break!))

Esmme

Old 02-03-2012, 06:01 AM

((Yay! I'm sleeping in tomorrow, too! :boogie: I love those days . . . I just wish I was finished with all my homework, too!))

Ray shook his head slowly. "I'll speak with Zens when she's finished making her rounds." He was touched that this girl would offer to help, and he smiled at her slightly. She was charming. Daphne held herself in a delicate way that was more feminine than many of the girls around her. That was attractive . . . and so was she.
Chasing his thoughts away from the topic, Koon motioned toward his sketch pad. He lifted it from his board and set it on an easel beside Daphne's. He pointed to her hands that he'd drawn earlier. "I didn't catch what you were saying. I'm guessing you were talking to yourself?"

The fact that she'd offered to have him meet her parents made Ray smile. It seemed that many things about Daphne made him smile. Not many people had that effect on him. The male ran a hand through his hair, thinking. He could certainly use the practice with signing, though perhaps it was too soon to accept such an offer. Perhaps wasn't good enough at the moment. "Do you think your parents would mind?" he asked a few moments later, still letting Laine look at his sketches. The thought was very tempting, honestly.

((:XD And here comes the shortness again. :lol:))

nemo.love_22
(^(エ)^)
Banned

Old 02-03-2012, 07:18 AM

((Oh, I'm so planning on being lazy tomorrow - although I should get a head start on a few projects that are due next week... bah homework! :headdesk:)

Daphne nodded.

"Alright. Just let me know if there is anything that I can do."

She gave a soft smile as she looked over his sketches, before looking at the drawings of her hands, blushing slightly realizing that she had done it again.

"Eh, yeah - just making some mental notes to myself and looks like I did it again. I really need to start being more aware of the fact that when I'm really trying to remember something I tend to sign. Most do tend to find it distracting, I'm just not normally 100% aware of doing it. Almost like my accent, one of those side affects of all the traveling around the UK that I did in my younger years."

Giving him a soft smile, she quickly thought before continuing.

"Oh, I'm sure that they wouldn't mind. That is if you're comfortable with it. I don't mean to make you feel uncomfortable in any way."

((No worries! At least it's something to go off of. :) ))

Esmme

Old 02-03-2012, 08:11 PM

Listening to Laine as she tried to explain her habit, Ray nodded. He understood. People did things while they were thinking that they were unaware of. Certain expressions were interesting to watch, while a tapping foot or bit lip might indicate thought as well. Looking at Daphne, the silver-haired youth was suddenly glad that her habit was signing. It was unique . . . and anyone who knew Ray knew that he enjoyed the unique things in life (it was simple enough to tell just by looking at his dyed hair).

"You're not making me uncomfortable," Ray said, waving the thought away. "I appreciate it. You should probably talk to them about it first, though."
When they were finished looking at his sketches, as well as Daphne's, the male looked at her again. "I never did ask what classes you have. We have art together, and Sign, yes?"

((:lol: Yup, it's homework day for me, too. :rofl:))

nemo.love_22
(^(エ)^)
Banned

Old 02-03-2012, 09:52 PM

"I'm glad I'm making you uncomfortable. I'll talk to 'em tonight when I see 'em and let ya know. Sound alright?"

She fiddled with her pencil trying to remember the other two classes that she had before responding.

"Aye, that's true those are the two that we share. The other two that I have are English and Photo. English I have right after this class and then Photo after Sign tomorrow."

Suddenly she thought of something, as she stuck her pencil behind her ear.

"What got you into Sign in the first place?"

((Sorry it's not super long, she's not totally 100% working with me at the moment -glares at Daph-

Well, it's supposed to be a get ahead on homework day for me... that's not going to so well.))

Esmme

Old 02-22-2012, 01:17 AM

((*laugh* Sorry about the huge delay! I forgot that we had this thread because I read the post and then didn't reply. :sweat: I was super busy. I have a free moment, so here I go!))

Ray smiled a bit. "Sounds perfect." He then looked back down at their sketches. The each had their own style that really told them apart. Daphne's were light and fleeting, while Koon's were full of darker lines and a bit more detail. Light, and in contrast to hers, dark.
Listening to Daphne's schedule, the male nodded. Brushing his long hair back behind his ears, Ray looked at the pencil that Laine had tucked behind her ear. Instead of speaking in the small silence that flit between them, the male merely did what he was best at: he fell silent.

"What got you into Sign in the first place?"
Ray tilted his head as though thinking, and took a deep breath before saying anything at all. "My younger brother used to sign. He had a deaf friend, and I thought it would be a good skill to learn." He didn't mention that his father and brother had been lost in a shipwreck roughly four years prior. Ray learned it because it made him remember his lost family. There was the vaguest shift in his expression. Honestly, many people wouldn't have noticed it - the subtle way a frown pulled at his brow and lips was gone within a second. "Learning a language is almost like learning math. There's a system. It's predictable." Sure, right until you reached the irregularities. But, even those were predictable.

As they spoke, a goth-dressed girl approached them. She looked a bit peeved, but it seemed a natural look for her. "Ray, are you coming tonight?" Her darkly-lined eyes flickered over to Daphne, and she didn't even bother smiling to acknowledge her.

"My plans haven't changed," Koon replied, glancing at the girl. He wondered if he should introduce them, but he didn't have the chance.

"She isn't coming, is she?"

Ray lifted his eyebrows in surprise. "Quite the pleasant thing to say." His blue eyes narrowed then, and he shrugged. "If she does, I'll be sure to keep it quiet." He watched as the goth turned on her heel and headed for the desk across the room. Ray didn't make many friends, and he didn't even consider the girl to be one of them, but he made a few acquaintances in his time modeling. Apparently "goth" and emo were in at the moment.
"I'm sorry. She doesn't know how to interact properly." Granted, neither did Ray . . . but at least he'd gone through high school with normal people. That woman never had. . . .

nemo.love_22
(^(エ)^)
Banned

Old 03-12-2012, 03:06 AM

((Sorry for the delay, been dealing with evil school related issues that are driving me mental - but I decided I should get around to this before I let it go off any longer! O.O;; SORRY!))

Daphne noticed that he was a fairly good listener, better than some of the people that she normally was around.

"Oh, that is interesting. I agree with you - it is a great skill to have. She smiles softly, noticing his body language - that was showing that there was something that he was uncomfortable with, but she didn't press the subject. "I got into Sign because my godparents both sign, and I wanted to be able to help out other Deaf people with issues that my god parents have always dealt with. Plus it's just a beautiful language.

As she finished up talking she noticed a girl approach them and talk to Ray, who gave her a half smile, before reaching up to take the pencil out from behind her ear, and doodle something as Ray talked to the girl.

"Oh, that's totally fine. I take it she doesn't want me there - plus I have something going on tonight that I can't get out of.

She really didn't have something going on, but she could tell that the other girl didn't want her there, so she thought that she'd save Ray the trouble of having to feel the need to invite her.

Esmme

Old 03-14-2012, 01:54 AM

((OH, no worries! I am sick and gross feeling, so I can't post much either. School is being nasty to me, too! Finals are next week, and I'm trying to study while I have Pneumonia .. . I gave up. :XD I'll have to do it in the next few days, though.))

"Many of the art students play an instrument or two," Ray said, sighing and leaning against the nearest desk. Taking his sketch pad, he began to slowly mark at the paper. "Tonight is a bit of a practice for us. Alice has a thing against anyone who doesn't look like her kind." A true emo . . . Alice was definitely part of the goth crowd. Her sister, Bella, was also part of the goth crowd.
When he heard that Daphne was busy, Ray nodded. "If you ever want to listen in, we all meet in the music room at 7 tonight. Every Monday we meet for a bit of music."

He extended his sketchpad toward Laine once more. This time it was a profile of her face. "You're the first person I've met that doesn't make me want to run." His cryptic words were followed by the end of class. Professor Zens started rounding everyone up and having them claim cupboards for their supplies (Koon already had one).
With a slight smile, Ray stashed his belongings in his backpack and slung it over one shoulder. "See you around." Most likely the next day during their second class together. "It was nice meeting you, Daphne. Don't forget to speak with your parents."

Really, that was the most talking he'd done with one person in a long while. Especially a stranger.