Kory
Spooky Action at a Distance

Old 12-17-2017, 04:18 PM

I wasn't sure if I should put this in GD, or ED?
If it's in the wrong place, please feel free to move it, mods. :D

Anyway,
I was on Tumblr the other day and I saw someone made a list for the "Do's and Don'ts of Schizophrenia" so I thought, why not make my own list of Do's and Don'ts of mental illness so other people can join in too?

I have schizophrenia, so all of my Do's and Don'ts are going to be related to that, but if you want to add some other Do's and Don'ts to my list then definitely feel free to add them here. :D

Kory
Spooky Action at a Distance

Old 12-17-2017, 04:22 PM

DON'T:
  • Call me "crazy" or say that I am "stupid" for believing what I believe. If it's a delusion it will sort itself out. If not, I have a therapist whom I trust that will help me professionally.
  • Add stuff to my delusions, like details or descriptions. If it is a delusion and you interact with it, that's making it much, much worse.
  • Ask me, "are you hallucinating right now?" because that makes people interact with the hallucinations and it's not good for the psyche.

DO:
  • Listen to me and offer your support, without trying to be my "second therapist".
  • Ask me if I took my medication because I do forget sometimes and sometimes when things are seemingly bad all it takes it a quick fix of taking my meds.

monstahh`
faerie graveyard

Old 01-22-2018, 11:42 AM

monstahh`s mental health care Do's and Don'ts

DO NOT:
-Raise your voice loudly, it scares the hecks out of me and causes me to become agitated and usually upset/anxious
-Instruct me how to deal with my illness, I'm doing fine, thanks. Unless I'm not, in which case I can probably tell YOU what I need
-Feed into my delusions; I don't need your help if I'm already that far gone. I need medication and sleep.
-If I am upset please don't get upset on my behalf, I will fizzle out in a few minutes, at most an hour or two. DO: Leave me be, but offer to be there if I need something, like a glass of juice or a hug.
-Don't touch me without asking/warning/there's an emergency where I need your help (choking, seizure, etc)
-Wake me up unless there is an emergency or I told you to (I need my sleep or I become bitchzilla)

General Do's:
-Speak softly
-If I'm upset or anxious, try to stay calm or at least appear calm until the "worst" is over, because then I can comfort you, but I can't do it while I'm already upset/anxious, and I will feed off your emotions like an emotional vampire
-Polite reminders to take my medication if I'm about to go to bed are fine
-Ask me how I'm doing, but be prepared for a possible speech (if you don't want a speech don't ask)
-Be understanding if I say I am tired and going to bed or can't talk right now, I will most of the time put things down for other people, but if I say I can't talk, I can't talk, or rather, really shouldn't. But I will get back to you later when I am not having an issue.

I'm kinda tired right now tbh because I couldn't sleep, so if this makes little to no sense or is too specific, I'm sorry.