Goblin Maiden
SUPAH KITTEH HAPPEH POWAH.

Old 09-12-2009, 06:58 PM

"You should not have," Raman readily agreed. "It is like asking someone how they know to breathe, or blink, or move a finger. It is natural to my people."

Then he hesitated. "But... You are a human, and a stranger to this place and its ways, so... I do not blame you for asking."

Again! Again he was being soft with her! What was happening? Why did he suddenly feel more willing to tolerate her and her human foibles? It was maddening, to say the least.

Emma Corrin
Li Mei's Ninja Knight

Old 09-12-2009, 08:40 PM

Dawn blushed, "I'm sorry, Raman, I did not mean to offend you. Thank you, for not lashing out at my foolishness. I appreciate it," Dawn added with a smile before continuing her skipping and twirling through the trees. Dawn loved the out doors, she was home there. She could be herself and dream when nature surrounded her.

Heading through a clump of trees, Dawn came across a small brook that ran through the forest. Bending down, Dawn cupped the water in her hands and splashed it across her face. It was hot with the sun beating down upon her. It was nice feeling the cool water against her skin. Taking water into her hands, Dawn smiled at how clear it was before she brought her hands to her lips.

Goblin Maiden

Old 09-13-2009, 05:11 PM

And that was when Jareth chose to make his move.

Twirling the crystal ball he held in his fingers, he gazed into it and saw the pool of water that Dawn held in her hands take on a strange, un-watery sheen just before she touched her lips to it.

The Goblin King grinned and lounged back in his chair, looking on to see what would happen. The girl would drink, be thrown into a deep, deep slumber. If the fairy tried to wake her, then the little man's efforts would be in vain, for nobody but Jareth and Dawn herself could wake her from her sleep.

She would find herself within a dream--only she would not know it. Searching for a golden key amongst mounds of golden treasure--chests, gold coins, goblets, swords, chandeliers--without knowing why she searched. It would take SUCH a long time before she would actually find the key... And then when she touched it, it would splinter into dozens of dozens smaller keys! She would lose yet more valuable time trying to find the correct key... Then she would actually have to find what it went to...

Jareth cast an absent-minded glance at the clock that hung before him. "Nine more hours," he murmured, the grin never leaving his face. "Nine more hours."

Emma Corrin
Li Mei's Ninja Knight

Old 09-13-2009, 11:07 PM

The water felt cool against her parched throat. As she dipped her hands into the water once more, Dawn felt dizzy. Placing her hand to her forehead, Dawn turned to sit on her bottom and looked up at Raman, "R-Raman.. I-I.. I feel st-"

Before she could finish her statement, Dawn fell onto her side upon the bank and into a deep sleep.

Dawn stretched as she woke up and looked around her, seeing the piles of treasure and gold, but still no key. Sighing, Dawn stood and dusted off her dress, "No use sleeping about. I've just got to find that key! It surely must go to something terribly important." As she searched through the treasures one by one, Dawn's thoughts began to roam about the treasure the key would unlock as she began to hum a lullaby she used to sing to her younger sisters.

Goblin Maiden

Old 09-13-2009, 11:16 PM

"What? What's the matter with--" The fairy guard's suspicious inquiry turned into a shout as the human girl toppled over onto the bank and began to breathe deeply and slowly, her eyes closed.

"This is no time for sleeping, human," Raman scolded, flying close to her face.

No response.

He cursed. "By the One's Wings! This water must be enchanted." Running a hand through his short silver hair, he shook his head. "Now how will we get to the castle--"

He stopped cold. Get WHERE? Had he really just said that? When had he... He was only along to get the Heart's Tear, wasn't he? That was his only mission, wasn't it?

"Human... Wake up!" He ordered the sleeping girl in the harshest voice he had used with her yet. And still she did not wake.

---

And then he was there, shifting through the treasure alongside her. His hair was straw-blonde, falling over his shoulders and down his back in straight wisps. He was dressed entirely in black--a long black coat, black breeches, black boots. Even black gloves. His definitive jaw was clenched in concentration as he picked up a small golden box, opened it up to peer inside, then tossed it behind him with a frustrated sigh. He did not seem to notice Dawn as he searched. Indeed, as he turned in her direction, he only gazed through her without seeing her.

Emma Corrin
Li Mei's Ninja Knight

Old 09-13-2009, 11:29 PM

Continuing to hum, Dawn smiled at the man beside her. "Hello. Did Mr. Lewton send you to look for the key as well?" asked Dawn with a sigh, "He always does do that. Promise someone a pay raise if they find something for him, but always send an American man to find it before the immigrant so he doesn't have to give them a raise. How much is he promising you?" Dawn asked softly as she moved to a new pile, sitting across from the man now, not realizing he didn't see her.

Last edited by Emma Corrin; 09-15-2009 at 12:26 AM.. Reason: forgot the word "he" in Dawn's last question

Goblin Maiden

Old 09-13-2009, 11:35 PM

The blonde man continued to search, examine, sigh. Finally, he sat back on his heels, looking around sorrowfully. "How... how am I supposed to find it in this place?" He whispered, obviously thinking he was talking to himself. "The key... I must find the key. It's the only way...

"Her heart for the key. That's what she told me."

---

Raman sank down to sit on a small rock, glaring at the human girl's sleeping face. He should have seen it, should have been able to feel something... Magic was usually so obvious, to those who knew what to look for, of course.

So why hadn't he known?

"Wake up, you," he growled at the girl, knowing she couldn't hear him. How long was she going to sleep? The enchantment on her... would it ever allow her to wake up at all?

Emma Corrin
Li Mei's Ninja Knight

Old 09-13-2009, 11:45 PM

"Her heart?" Dawn asked softly with a blush. 'Mr. Lewton.. You cheater.. How could you...' Sighing, Dawn continued to search, now for a new purpose. After about another half hour, Dawn found the key. Picking it up, it split into many keys. Frowning, Dawn picked up all of the keys and brought them to the man and let them fall before him.

Something wasn't right. How could keys multiply like that? Why would Lewton want this key, when he could buy her love with all of these riches? Something was out of place.. But what? And why wasn't this man speaking to her?

"I want to leave now. You have your keys and I am of no further use, for your quest is of more importance than mine. Where is the exit?" Dawn inquired softly, her thoughts still plaguing her.

Last edited by Emma Corrin; 09-13-2009 at 11:52 PM.. Reason: messed up how the ending line was supposed to sound - so i fixed it~

Goblin Maiden

Old 09-14-2009, 02:30 AM

The blonde man started up, staring as the keys showered down before him. "I... I don't believe it... I've found them!" Laughing, he caught the keys up in his hands. "Or rather, they've found me...? This is either some amazing happenstance, or I've gone delusional from searching too long."

He piled the keys before him, then gazed down at them, his elation rapidly fading. "But... which one is the one she wants? Which one is the key... OH."

The man looked up, and seemed to finally see Dawn for the first time. "It's you!" He breathed. He reached out as if he wanted to touch her, but was afraid. "You said you would never... You told me that... But it doesn't matter. I have it, see? Somewhere."

He grabbed up a key at random and shoved it into a keyhole in Dawn's chest that lay directly over her heart.

"If I found the right one, I could have you. If I found it, I would win you. You would love me back," he finished, whispering. His hand trembled as he turned the key.

Emma Corrin
Li Mei's Ninja Knight

Old 09-14-2009, 02:56 AM

Even though the key was a tight fit, it barely turned. Sighing, Dawn gently caressed the man's cheek as she placed a light kiss upon his forehead, "Love cannot be won. Nor can you hope for someone to return their love, when all they wish for is treasure. I am sorry, but whomever has tricked you has tricked us all. I am sorry you have been searching for so long, but I can't possibly be the one you are looking for. I would never have sent someone on a chase such as this in order to win my heart. To win my heart, one would need to be sincere, kind, and love me for me, not wish me to change. I am sorry you went through all of this trouble, and got your hopes up, but I am not the one you are searching for, I just can't be," Dawn whispered as a tear fell from her eyes.

Sadness consumed her as she pulled the man into a hug. She did not know him, but she felt his sorrow and pain. "You seem like a good man, and I am sorry one such as she has used you so terribly. You deserve better, and I hope you find her one day." She added as another tear fell from her cheek and she smiled at the man before her.

Back in the real world, two identical tear drops fell from Dawn's eyes, slowly rolling down her cheek.

Goblin Maiden

Old 09-14-2009, 05:15 PM

The man drew in a ragged breath, closing his eyes as Dawn kissed his forehead, returning her embrace gently, as though he feared he would break her, or she would disappear. Yet there was a kind of desperation in his eyes as he opened them again; a kind of primal yearning in his posture.

"Please," he whispered. "I know... You said you aren't her, but... You ARE her, in a way. Please, you told me she won't have me, and I realize... I think I've realized that all along. But... just one thing... Just one thing before I let you go..."

With a trembling hand, he reached up to touch her lips.

"Please," he said again, tears welling within his eyes. "Please, it will be all I have left of her now. Please."

---

Raman shot upright on the rock he sat upon, staring as two crystalline tears trailed down the girl's cheeks. What... what had caused her to cry? Her face was peaceful, but the tears told of something else...

He reached out a diminutive hand to wipe the tears away. He did not even realize that he was doing it until his fingers met the clear drops; and then he snatched his hand away as if he had touched a burning coal. Clutching his hand to him as if it had truly been scalded, he stared at the girl as if he had never seen her before.

For a moment... For just one instant, as he had gone to wipe her tears away, he had felt no disgust, no condescending feeling of superiority. Just... a need to make her stop crying. To wake her from whatever was causing her sorrow...

No! Stop this, he scolded himself sharply. He was with the girl for one reason and one reason only; to obtain her Heart's Tear. And to his magical eyes, the tears shone truly in the sunlight streaming down through the leafy branches overhead. They were tears wept from the heart.

Slowly, he reached into his coat. Slowly, he withdrew the small crystalline Capsule, the unbreakable container that he would use to carry the Heart's Tear back to his queen. He held the jar up to the girl's cheek and watched as a teardrop rolled into it; corking it tightly, he shoved it brusquely back into his coat and flew up from his perch, preparing to leave.

His mission was done, and sooner than he had thought. He could leave, now. Go back home. Back to his one goal in life, guarding his queen, making sure she was happy, safe, satisfied.

Leave the human girl alone, to slumber as long as the enchantment held. Leave her to face the rest of the Labyrinth alone upon waking. To wander lost. To wonder where he had gone. To feel the tears on her face and know the truth.

Something he had not felt for a long time pierced through the shield he had put around himself--the shield of duty, of necessity, of devotion to his one and only ruler. It took a few moments for him to place it, but it was...

Sympathy?

Cursing himself, yet at the same time oddly acquiescent, he sank back down onto the rock next to the girl's face.

"Wake up," he muttered at her, knowing she could not hear. He picked up a pebble and flicked it at her nose, knowing she would not be able to feel it.

Emma Corrin
Li Mei's Ninja Knight

Old 09-14-2009, 09:30 PM

Dawn blushed as she brushed her fingertip against her lips, "A-A kiss? B-But.. I have ne-never kissed anyone before! Much less a stranger! What would people think of me if they were to find out I kissed a stranger without any attachment?"

Sighing, Dawn looked at her feet as she began twirling a small strand of her hair through her fingers, "But it won't be the same, Sir, if I were to kiss you. How can my kiss, the kiss of a stranger, make up for the misfortune she has caused you?"

Goblin Maiden

Old 09-15-2009, 01:44 AM

"Please." A tear leaked from the strange man's eye. "I... I loved her so much, and now that I know that she was only using me, deceiving me, I... I don't know what to do. But you are just like her, and..."

His hands reached out to Dawn pleadingly. "I loved her," he repeated softly. His voice was deep and rich and miserable. "I still do. One kiss is all I ask... One of which she never even gave me..."

The fingers of one hand stroked her cheek tentatively, carressingly. A desperate longing was apparent all throughout the man's body; his voice, his eyes, both pleaded for her to understand. To give him that one thing that he asked for. The only thing he now had to live for.

"I can imagine it is her," he said wistfully. "I can carry the memory of it with me always... I can dream about her, and have the remembrance to warm my heart. You are so kind... Your words try to soothe me, but... I just ask this one thing of you!"

Emma Corrin
Li Mei's Ninja Knight

Old 09-15-2009, 01:52 AM

Dawn shook her head as another tear rolled down her cheek, "I am truly sorry, Sir, but I just can't. I cannot give you my precious first kiss, no matter how much I wish to, for you are not the man I am in love with. Only the man of whom has shown me his heart, and has shown that I am the one who only resides in it, will receive my kiss. I'm truly sorry, but I grant this wish, please forgive me," finished Dawn, her voice barely above a whisper.

"Please, please don't be angry," she added softly as she gently caressed the man's cheek with her palm and placed a gentle kiss upon his forehead, "I truly understand your plight, and I wish I could do this for you, but if I were to kiss you now as you wish me you, I would only be ruining my reputation, as well as yours. Whenever you look back upon me, if you ever shall, you will see me as the woman who tricked you. I do not wish to be remembered for her heartless behavior. Please, understand and do not hate me because of it," added Dawn softly as she wiped the tears from her cheeks.

Goblin Maiden

Old 09-15-2009, 02:03 AM

"But... Please, I just..." The man's melancholy expression gradually grew stonier and stonier as Dawn continued to speak. Finally, his eyebrows clenched together in a furious scowl as he snatched his hand away from her, fisting it at his side.

"Obstinate wretch!" He growled. "Impudent girl! All I wanted was a kiss. Just one kiss, is that so much to ask of anyone!" His vocal tone continued to rise as he kept on speaking. "But no, you with your pure heart, you had to refuse me and make yourself out as a saint in the process! You don't know who you're refusing, you don't know--"

The man's angered words grew ever fainter as the room, the treasure, the keys, and the man himself spiraled into darkness.

---

The Goblin King came back to himself scowling as deeply as he had been inside Dawn's dream; only now it was both at himself and the girl. If only she weren't so kind and stubborn, so gentle and strong-willed at once! It would have been so much easier... He had been so close!

With a shout of rage, he threw the crystal he held down onto the stone floor, where it instantly shattered into a million sparkling pieces. Seconds later, they melted away like snowflakes in a warm room, and the Goblin King conjured up another crystal with a swirl of his hand.

Glaring into it, his back rigid, fingers tight around the clear sphere that showed him anything he wished, he reflected that at least he had done two things right. He had learned the way to the girl's heart. And he had delayed her in her journey for an hour.

"Eight hours left, you foolish thing," he whispered to the still-sleeping girl's image. "Only eight hours. You think you can reach my castle in that time?"

Emma Corrin
Li Mei's Ninja Knight

Old 09-15-2009, 02:10 AM

As the world around her spiraled into blackness, fear struck Dawn's conscience and awoke her from her sleep. Opening her eyes, she saw Raman sitting across from her face. Feeling the wetness of her cheeks, Dawn sat up and wiped away the tears from her face, "W-what happened? I-I.. He.."

The more she thought about it, the more she realized she had been tricked and had been cast into a deep sleep, dreaming of the events for the past hour. "Ooo! Wait 'til I get to that castle of his! That must have been Jareth in that dream! Oooo! How dare he call me such names!" Dawn screeched as she crossed her arms.

"Well, it's no use getting upset over, I'll see him in good time," Dawn sighed after a few moments as she looked at Raman and laughed at herself, "You must think me foolish for weeping over a dream and being upset over a silly trick. Oh! The tears! Oh Raman, I'm so sorry! I forgot all about you needing them!" Covering her face in her hands, Dawn whispered softly, "Now you'll surely hate me more than before.."

Goblin Maiden

Old 09-15-2009, 12:59 PM

Raman felt the weight of the small jar in his breast pocket and hesitated. Should he answer her, tell her that he had in fact obtained the Heart's Tear and that he no longer needed to travel with her? Or should he feign ignorance, or should he continue on with her despite having gotten it...?

"...It is no matter," he finally told her gruffly, not meeting her eye. "Knowing the sensitivity of humans, especially of you, I will most likely see another Heart's Tear soon enough."

He flew up from the rock and down the small forest path that was nearly indistinguishable from the rest of the trees and undergrowth. "Come, Dawn," he threw back over his shoulder. "We have wasted time enough while you slept under that enchantment. Now we must work to regain those lost minutes."

Emma Corrin
Li Mei's Ninja Knight

Old 09-15-2009, 07:35 PM

Looking up at him as her hands slowly dropped to her lap, Dawn couldn't help but smile a small, saddened smile. She would miss Raman and his temper when he acquired her Heart's Tear and left her to wander the Labyrinth alone.

Quickly gaining composure, Dawn stood from the ground, picked up her skirts, and began to run after Raman, not bothering to tidy herself up first. Raman was right, they needed to be quick if they were to regain that precious hour she had wasted within the dream.

"I'm coming Mr. Lewton.. Please do not turn into a goblin before I am able to reach the Castle," Dawn whispered under her breath as she ran. Catching up to Raman, Dawn inquired softly, "Do you know where we are headed?"

Last edited by Emma Corrin; 09-15-2009 at 09:05 PM.. Reason: grammatical error

Goblin Maiden

Old 09-15-2009, 10:36 PM

Raman shook his head, his silver hair shining in the sunlight. "I'm afraid that I do not; I have never been this far into the Labyrinth. There has never been a need, as Queen Javitha does not normally stray from her palace in the outer wall."

He slowed his flight as they approached a small clearing in the midst of a copse of trees. In the center of the clearing sat a young girl, around Dawn's age. Her hair was pale as Dawn's was dark, and her skin was like glazed porcelain. With her dainty frame she could have passed for a fairy, except for the fact that she was obviously too large to be one. She looked up from where she held her hands in her lap, smiling widely at the sight of the two of them.

"Oh my, I can not believe my eyes!" She cried, happily clapping her hands together. "Visitors! You have come to have your fortunes told, have you not? But of course you have! Emilie is never wrong! You have heard of me, of course, Emilie, Daughter of the Forest of Fortune? But of course you have; why else would you have come here?"

Emma Corrin
Li Mei's Ninja Knight

Old 09-15-2009, 10:49 PM

Dawn blushed as she curtsied before the woman, a bit in awe of her beauty, which showed as she stammered, "N-no, I am afraid I do not. I am new to the Goblin Kingdom, forgive me." Looking up at Raman, Dawn asked softly, "Do you know of her? She seems kind enough, shall we have our fortunes told? I do not wish to upset her," Dawn admitted as she looked over at the woman with a small smile.

Goblin Maiden

Old 09-15-2009, 10:58 PM

Raman looked at Emilie for a moment before saying bluntly, "We have never heard of you. Excuse us, but we must be on our way."

He was about to pass her when she leapt to her feet, her pale pink gown swirling around her legs. "Oh, but no!" She cried, holding out her hands as if to keep them back. "You can not pass! This is my grove, and I am inviting you to stay for supper."

Emilie gestured to a cookpot and fire that Raman could have sworn had not been there a moment ago.

"A sip of soup, a bite of bread!" The girl caroled gaily, clapping her hands together delightedly at the thought. "Then you will be in better spirits, and much more willing to have your fortunes told? But of course you will be!"

Raman turned to face Dawn. "This is your quest," he spoke to her quietly so that Emilie could not easily overhear. "If we delay here just to oblige her, we will lose even more time."

Emma Corrin
Li Mei's Ninja Knight

Old 09-15-2009, 11:16 PM

Dawn nodded as she whispered softly, "You're right, forgive me. I just feel terrible leaving her out here alone again.. It doesn't seem like she's had any company for quite some time.. We'll have to come back," Dawn decided before turning back towards Emilie. Curtsying, Dawn approached Emilie with a blush, "Forgive us, but we truly must be on our way. We need to reach the Castle in less than eight hours," Dawn explained with a sigh, "If I'm not, all will be lost."

Goblin Maiden

Old 09-15-2009, 11:30 PM

"Castle?" Emilie's eyes widened. "You mean to see the king? I have never seen the king before! Oh, take me with you! Won't you, pretty please? I know! It will be your fee for me telling your fortunes; it is not that much to ask, is it?"

Without waiting for a response, Emilie's hand shot out and grabbed Dawn's. Peering down at the dark-haired girl's palm, her eyes widened even further. "Why, what is this?"

"What is what?" Raman asked quite impatiently.

"How puzzling!" Emilie sighed. "I can see nothing but one man. He is tall, and wears breeches, and his hair is wild and the color of straw."

"That sounds like the Goblin King," Raman muttered.

"It does? Oh, but that can only mean one thing," Emilie told Dawn. "Your destiny is intertwined with that of the king himself! How exciting!" Eyes gleaming with this fortune, the pink-clad girl dropped Dawn's hand and instantly seized upon Raman's. "Why, and you..."

Her wide smile faded, and was replaced by a perplexed frown. "Well, this... this is strange..."

"It is, is it?" Raman grumbled.

"I see nothing." Emilie looked into Raman's face, so small in comparison to her own. "That only happens when someone's fate... is aligned with mine."

Emma Corrin
Li Mei's Ninja Knight

Old 09-15-2009, 11:41 PM

A deep blush filled Dawn's cheeks as she looked at Emilie, "You only see Jareth in my future? But.. He has been vile to me.. He delayed me, he tricked me, he said such horrid things! How can he possibly be my only future?" asked Dawn, quite confused and exasperated.

Goblin Maiden

Old 09-16-2009, 12:39 AM

"Oh, you think it's like that?" Emilie dropped Raman's hand and turned to face Dawn, smiling reassuringly. "Don't fret, lovely--er, what was your name? It doesn't necessarily mean what you're thinking. Destinies can intertwine in all manner of ways, and they can remain so for a lifetime or only a second. I wouldn't worry too much about it if I were you--fortunes are finicky things, anyway." The pale-haired girl tossed her head, her manner suddenly quite different from the air-headed happiness she had been affecting only a short while ago.

"You don't seem to place that much stock in them--why tell them?" Raman questioned the girl, folding his arms to hide his discomfort. His destiny... and this girl? They'd only just met, and by pure chance besides. Or... had it been pure chance?

Emilie glanced around hesitantly, before beckoning Raman and Dawn closer. "My father," she whispered. "He's a goblin, a real and true one. Obviously, he's not my real father, but... He found me when I was a baby, and saw the magic in me, so he kept me. Ever since I was old enough to talk, he's been making me tell fortunes to any and all who pass by here. Our house is straight that way--" she pointed towards a small path that Raman had not seen before.

"I'm to get payment however I can for my fortunes," Emilie continued on, her joyful manner now quite dissipated, to replaced by one quite grounded to earth. "I've been wanting to get away for so long, but nobody coming by--when they pass by at all--will take me with them. If... if only I can get to the castle, and see the king," she cried out suddenly, "then I can ask him to make my father stop using me to earn extra coin. I know there's a Goblin City near the castle... I could stay there, find work there somehow. Fortunes aren't all that I'm good for.

"That's why I want--no, I need--you to take me with you. If you're to see the king, then there's a chance that I could see him, too." Her eyes were pleading with both Raman and Dawn. "I could get away from here."