Halloween 1 11.11%
FOWN 2 22.22%
Other- post it! 0 0%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Kat Dakuu
hyperactive catdemon

Penpal

Old 12-22-2017, 04:25 PM

What was your first event to participate in since joining the site? What is your favorite?

I was having a discussion and I've noticed a correlation between first and favorite for many people. Is it because there's a fondness due to a certain event being first or is it pure coincidence? Am I just tripping?

For me, Celes Paradi '09 was my first event and I do find that Celes Paradi and Phoenix Jubilees are often my favorite events of the year. I like the items and have fun with the theme and just...having an event tucked into the otherwise dry period of summer!

Kay
(^._.^)ノ

Old 12-22-2017, 07:05 PM

I joined mene back in November of 08, so the fown was my first event here. Its always been one of my favorite events on mene.

Facade
Ticking Time Bomb of Titillation

Old 12-26-2017, 08:35 PM

This is a great idea, Kat!

My first event was the Halloween event in 2007, which was a blast! I'd definitely say that Halloween is a favorite one for me, but the events that will always stick with me, both because of the event items/commons of the time and the people I met/memories I made by chatting, are the Phoenix Jubilee of '08, the V-Day of '09 and the Celes Paradi, Halloween and FoWN from '09 too. '09 was just so memorable to me!

2010 was great too - pretty much all of it that year, though the Phoenix Jubilee steampunk theme that year was especially great.

Kinda bummed I was on such a long hiatus because of life the past few (several ) years, because I see so many wonderful items from those years.

I'd be curious to know people's thoughts on event engagement/re-engaging existing users for events nowadays. I know the site since the server migration is in bad shape, and hopefully that'll be fixed soon, but aside from that, how can we get people to come back for events, if only for the few hours their busy lives may allow? It'd be nice to see old faces, that's for sure!

I think this thread is great for trying to think through what's memorable (and maybe why) for everyone when they first started on Mene. For me, it was all so new at the time... it felt like a mad rush just to get enough money, for anything really! Does the novelty of that wear off for any of you? Does that intimidate members thinking of joining our site that's (eep!) turning 11 next month and will soon be an angsty pre-teen!?

Kat Dakuu
hyperactive catdemon

Penpal

Old 12-26-2017, 11:05 PM

Sometimes I forget you're such an old user, facade.

'09 really was a great year. I've been trying to think about how events were run before we had chance. When was the first use of the chance game? I don't actually remember myself.
The only event I remember with a different game is the infamous Easter egg hunt with a million eggs no one wants, but hunting was actually a lot of fun and we were all helping each other. I think we need different types of events again, but I remember things were simplified because they needed to be.

Facade
Ticking Time Bomb of Titillation

Old 12-27-2017, 10:09 PM

I agree, Kat. So much thought and coding went into some events, plus I'm sure all the artwork was even further work.

Many events definitely just had a different currency than Time Tokens, typically each event had its own kind; sometimes multiple currencies in one, and earned in different ways.

I vaguely remember there being a team component to events like the steampunky Phoenix Jubilee, so each team had a specific currency or something? I can't remember.

I do love Chance, don't get me wrong, and we don't need something that'll take more effort than it's worth, but it'd be nice to have more variation for sure. But Chance is still addictive.

Kat Dakuu
hyperactive catdemon

Penpal

Old 12-28-2017, 02:47 AM

there was definitely cool artwork with events in the past. Torikat did the arts, right? I used to hang out with her a lot.

I know that phoenix jubilee event had teams, but it wasn't that detailed I think. Like, the team sprocket and such thing? The wrench and hammer sets were slightly different from what I remember. I don't know about different currency. I think it was just part of a forum game which this site did a few times.

I have gotten very used to chance and find it a very easy and nice compromise for lurker currency. It's not too much or hard like other sites. Just something you can count on. I think I remember it being a sad thing to see chance become the regular thing even if we can't remember anything before it.

ghostPastry
👻🧁

Old 12-31-2017, 07:30 PM

the first event i participated in was Celes Paradi ('09, i think), and Celes Paradi and Phoenix Jubilee are some of my favorite events. i think if i had to choose, my top 3 favorites would be Halloween, Celes Paradi, then Phoenix Jubilee.

oh man, and it's so difficult to even remember what events were like before Chance! wasn't there a FOWN that involved baking things with a little pixel kitchen up at the top of the screen? i wish i could remember better, there were some pretty cool event games.

Last edited by ghostPastry; 12-31-2017 at 07:32 PM..

Kat Dakuu
hyperactive catdemon

Penpal

Old 12-31-2017, 08:05 PM

That must have been a FOWN event before my time because I can't remember that at all! We need to find some staff or someone from the ancient times who might know or remember this stuff. Maybe if we look in the archives we can figure some stuff out too?

ghostPastry
👻🧁

Old 12-31-2017, 08:33 PM

found it! it was FOWN 2009. for some reason i thought it was later than that... here's what the forum looked like then:

and then apparently this is how it all worked:
Quote:
Overview
A basic review of how everything works ^.^
Frosting, Fruit & Ginger = Used for baking yummy goods which are traded for event item rares.
You can get Frosting, Fruit & Ginger by posting in the forums or visiting me in the Pantry! (Something to remember! The first time you visit my Pantry it's just to wake it up *giggles* You'll have to come back 15 minutes later to collect some ingredients *nods*)
Any currency of all types will carry over day to day until the end of the Event.
However, unused event currency will disappear after the Event is over!
Mixing Bowls = Used in the Special Event Store.
Mixing Bowls are equal to 25 gold (ie: a 100 gold item would cost 4 Mixing Bowls).
You can get Mixing Bowls by trading Frosting, Fruit & Ginger with me in the Pantry.
Unused Mixing Bowls will disappear after the event is over.
Event Items (rares) will start being released on December 25th.
so, instead of just getting event currency, you'd have to use ingredients to create currency. @_@ it sounds really complicated now, but i remember it being pretty fun.

Kat Dakuu
hyperactive catdemon

Penpal

Old 01-01-2018, 05:23 PM

Yeah, I looked at the valentines 2010 event and saw a similar thing with red packets that I almost remember and apparently a fireworks game which I wish I could find something to see what that looked like. It does seem complicated now and like it would take a lot of posts to get anything, but it was all fun, wasn't it?

I would love to see game come back, even if it's something as simple as the egg hunt probably was.

Maria-Minamino
Musician

Old 01-03-2018, 04:10 PM

Halloween 2007 was my first event. I wasn't very active and had no friends...so I didn't actually enjoy the event at all OTL I had no place to post and trying to buy Event Items was a bit confusing to me.

By Winter 2007, I had figured it out LOL

I think my favorite events are the Phoenix Jubilee - I just love the items that come from those events!

ghostPastry
👻🧁

Old 01-04-2018, 04:34 AM

oh wow, 2007?? you've been here forever, that's awesome! sorry your first event wasn't great, though. :/ i remember being pretty lost for my first event too.

Kat Dakuu
hyperactive catdemon

Penpal

Old 01-07-2018, 08:25 PM

I got active in my first event though I was a lurker before that. Made good friends and got all the ei's. Passed up on getting pretty much any commons though since I didn't think I wanted them. Kinda regret that now. I think I got extra sets of the ei's? Or I started doing that during the fown event.