Kris
BEATLEMANIA

Old 09-02-2007, 03:01 AM

I am a writer.
The silent performer.
The painter who works with words.

WRITING IS AN ART, DAMN IT.

And I was at school, and some kids were talking about their favorite arts.
I join in the conversation and say my favorite form of art is literature.

"Like, writing, right?"
"Yeah, I love to write."

"Are you kidding? Writing isn't art!"

I don't think I've ever been so made before.
Writing is art.
A fine art.
The BEST art.
(Writer, representin'

xP )

So yeah.
Writing has it's own forum, but it has no discussion.
AND BECAUSE IT'S AN ART...
I'm making a discussion in, hence the name, art discussion.

I've noticed that I can usually spot out who likes to write in their spare time based on personality.
Writers are usually calm, but insane and crazy, or at least the ones I've met.
(:
I've noticed we have odd habits like talking to our characters (no, not to ourselves...But I do that to), or we have the most inspiration at night.

And so I was wondering if anyone else has noticed what kind of artists tend to have personality traits to their own, if anyone else has noticed this as well.

linkfreak131
\ (•◡•) /

Old 09-02-2007, 03:36 AM

Not an art? Inconceivable! [/princessbridecomment]

Seriosly, though, it's an art. If anyone ever dared told that to my AP English teacher, she would pretty much beat them with a stick with words telling them how much it is an art.

lol I like to talk to my own charcters a lot. XD It's actualy quite amusing. X3 I mostly write fanfictions, (without OC's in them becuase I don't like getting the reader confused by the appearence of them), so I mostly only do it when I come up with origionl stories that I would like to publish one day. But, I do like to talk to the regular characters in the story, say, Link, for example. He always has something nice to say. =)

Most of my insparation comes from school, and everyday things. For example, a few years ago,I took a tour aboard the Queen Mary, which is supposed to be a hunted ship. While I was on there, I though "Gee, woudn't it be cool if someone got a strange invatation to spend the night on the Queen Mary, and all this spooky stuff started happening to them?", and then I like to base a fanfiction around that. =3

But... I haven't really had time to actualy write anything down on paper, or on the internet, in a very long time... Over a year, actualy. I'm just too busy. T_T So, becuase of that, I just keep all the stories that I have in my own mind... I just don't have the time anymore like I used to. TT_TT

But, with personality traits, I tend to see them as the same as their OC's, or just favorite charater in general, or, just deending on the mood they happen to be in. Say, if I'm sad, and I'm writing a really epic battle sence, I might throw in some emotonal thoughts of sadness between the characters. Ionno, though, that's just me. XD

Ai-Chan
(-.-)zzZ

Old 10-12-2007, 03:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris
I am a writer.
The silent performer.
The painter who works with words.

WRITING IS AN ART, DAMN IT.

And I was at school, and some kids were talking about their favorite arts.
I join in the conversation and say my favorite form of art is literature.

"Like, writing, right?"
"Yeah, I love to write."

"Are you kidding? Writing isn't art!"

I don't think I've ever been so made before.
Writing is art.
A fine art.
The BEST art.
(Writer, representin'

xP )

So yeah.
Writing has it's own forum, but it has no discussion.
AND BECAUSE IT'S AN ART...
I'm making a discussion in, hence the name, art discussion.

I've noticed that I can usually spot out who likes to write in their spare time based on personality.
Writers are usually calm, but insane and crazy, or at least the ones I've met.
(:
I've noticed we have odd habits like talking to our characters (no, not to ourselves...But I do that to), or we have the most inspiration at night.

And so I was wondering if anyone else has noticed what kind of artists tend to have personality traits to their own, if anyone else has noticed this as well.
your damn right it's an art! Any one can draw but it takes some REAL skill to write a great story! people should just accept that it is an art! That pisses me off when they deny that simple fact! Agree or you will be shot wil a hair ball!

p.s. I am an artist but i have several friends who are great authors and so i respect them highly!

CK
Crusher of Dreams
Assistant Administrator

Old 10-12-2007, 11:12 AM

LOL.

All right - am I a writer or not? :D If you need more examples of how I am before you venture a guess, that's cool. ;)

Writing is an art. I think it has its own Greek Muse, doesn't it?

But I wouldn't exactly say that writers should classify themselves as "artists" if someone asks.

ex:
"What are you into?"
"Oh, I'm an artist."
"Really - do you paint or...?"
"No. I write."

It's misleading, a bit. It confuses people. And if people get confused, they become defensive and often hostile. :P

Admonish Misconstruction
\ (•◡•) /

Old 10-12-2007, 02:14 PM

I will disagree with you with writing being the best art, I love to write, and I love books but reading a book isn't a art though xD. I love painting truly, and drawing.

But I agree with you, writing is totally an art, from poems to volumes of books, your creating a new world aren't you? Like art, you create something from a blank sheet.

tanhuitian
⊙ω⊙
Send a message via AIM to tanhuitian Send a message via MSN to tanhuitian Send a message via Yahoo to tanhuitian

Old 10-12-2007, 03:03 PM

Plumbing is art too. It just depends on which dictionary you're consulting.

I find art teachers who exclaim that anime isn't art narrow-minded.

` raWt
Dead Account Holder
Send a message via AIM to ` raWt Send a message via MSN to ` raWt

Old 10-12-2007, 10:50 PM

Writing is an art.
Writing soon elevates to poetry, play writing, script writing, publishing, journalism, typography, etc.
so it is. You also win awards for writing if it's good enough. c':
So outshine them and earn that medal!

whitebeast
(ó㉨ò)

Old 10-13-2007, 12:05 AM

Writing is an art and yes I would classify people who write as artists.

Not everybody are talented or inspired/capable enough to be able to come up with such works after all.

The thing is: Most people have the notion of artists are men or women who are on the ranks of Da Vinci or Frida Kahlo. They put them on a pedestal, being so at awe with their art and forget that they were people too.

It's so difficult to swallow for most that they lived normal lives and just had a different point of view.

Anybody can be an artist with a chosen medium.

It's a talent and a gift. ^^

We all have it. Your call to develop it or not.

daashi
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Old 10-13-2007, 05:24 AM

As a writer myself I too have found that people don't think of creative writing as an artform.

The ability to paint a picture in the mind of someone else just by using the written word is very underestimated and undervalued.

daashi
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Old 10-13-2007, 05:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CK
LOL.

All right - am I a writer or not? :D If you need more examples of how I am before you venture a guess, that's cool. ;)

Writing is an art. I think it has its own Greek Muse, doesn't it?

But I wouldn't exactly say that writers should classify themselves as "artists" if someone asks.

ex:
"What are you into?"
"Oh, I'm an artist."
"Really - do you paint or...?"
"No. I write."

It's misleading, a bit. It confuses people. And if people get confused, they become defensive and often hostile. :P
No art is art.
A painter paints.
A sculptor sculpts.
A poet writes poetry.
A novelist writes novels.
A musician creates music.
A dancer dances.
A debator debates.
There is a reason why various artists have different titles.

Also with the muses. There was only one Greek Muse that had no assiociation with writing. And that was Terpsikhore, the Muse of Choral Song and Dance.

.................................................. .................................................. ........

And Mods if I am double posting I am sorry.

Raion Ronin
Dead Account Holder
Send a message via AIM to Raion Ronin

Old 10-13-2007, 05:44 AM

Whoever says writing is not an art is just silly. I know it's cliche but "art is in the eye of the beholder". Art is different to many people, and just because someone says something isn't art doesn't mean its not art to someone else. People need to respect all the arts, and realize they all are the product of the persons creativity and imagination. Just because they come out in different forms doesn't make them any less of art.

Nightgaunt
\ (•◡•) /
Send a message via AIM to Nightgaunt Send a message via MSN to Nightgaunt

Old 10-13-2007, 12:20 PM

If someone asks me I usually say I love to draw and write, rather than lump my skills under 'artist', but I do consider writing a form of art. I suspect many people dismiss it because it requires more work to really take in.
A picture is easy, and in this Fast Food world, people like something they can take in quickly and move on, which means writers on places like deviantart tend to suffer for hit-count, because it takes more work to take in their submissions. However, even if writing isn't 'art' in the most absolute and literal sense, it shouldn't be lightly dismissed.

Eitriarch
(-.-)zzZ

Old 10-25-2007, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanhuitian
Plumbing is art too. It just depends on which dictionary you're consulting.
pretty much anything is an art or could somehow fit the definition.

writing is art but I do not think it goes into the same category(of art) as drawing or painting.

ToastedWhiskers
*^_^*
Send a message via AIM to ToastedWhiskers Send a message via MSN to ToastedWhiskers

Old 10-29-2007, 08:58 PM

Of course writing's not an art.
And THAT'S A LIE. I DO NOT TALK TO MY CHARACTERS.
Only on Fridays. >>

Anyhow, writing is as much of an art as realism, abstract, anime, poetry...
There's just no defining art.
'Aesthetically Pleasing', maybe.
But I digress.

Caeluma
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Old 10-29-2007, 10:19 PM

there is a spot for writing here is there not?

Techmaga
*^_^*
Send a message via AIM to Techmaga

Old 10-30-2007, 04:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caeluma
there is a spot for writing here is there not?
There is a reason she posted this in this forum >_> this is "Art Discussion" and she considers writing "Art" therefore it does also belong to "art discussion"... the whole point of this thread xD.

Yea, I agree that writing is art, especially when one has to shape how people imagine things in their mind... Writers are imagination painters, they paint the image in the people's mind.

Panda!
Dead Account Holder

Old 11-02-2007, 12:53 AM

x.X wow that would be so annoying to be told something you work hard on isn't art. I play guitar which I think is a form of art but most people don't D;

shellthabunny
*^_^*

Old 11-02-2007, 04:04 AM

I wouldn't say it's THE best are only because I am into a different kind of art, but yes it definitely is an art.

life in red and black
ʘ‿ʘ
Send a message via AIM to life in red and black Send a message via Yahoo to life in red and black

Old 11-02-2007, 04:39 AM

What is Art is in the eye of the beholder. Anything can be art... though not everything should be considered art *remembers friends who belched a piece of music*

Art is self expression isn't it? Writing is definitely expressing yourself.