oHsoDemandinG
Cha-cha-cha.....Charmin!!

Old 02-10-2008, 07:50 PM

Does anybody here do work with 3d animation? I don't mean pixeling. I mean the animation used for video games and movies like Finding Nemo. If so what kind and program? I used Bryce 6 from DAZ.

IF you wanna check out Bryce 6 you can go to www.daz3d.com. It talks about the program and it has galleries of other peoples work.

demon_girl
⊙ω⊙

Old 02-13-2008, 02:05 AM

Hi,

Yes, actually I do 3D animation as well, but I use Maya. Most of the large companies use propriety software they make themselves, or so I've heard. But I have heard of Bryce, Lightwave, 3D Studio Max, among others.

Poser really isn't 3D modeling no matter what people say, lol!

I actually made this in my CG Environments class.

oHsoDemandinG

Old 02-13-2008, 02:31 AM

I've heard of maya. I want to try it but I won't be able to anytime soon. I love your picture. I would post mine but I'm not sure how to do that.

demon_girl
⊙ω⊙

Old 02-13-2008, 05:43 AM

Thank you! I actually have about 30+ hours into that, bleh. But I am sure you know how long it takes to model anything in a 3D program!

I post my pictures by uploading them into Photobucket. You can get a free account there or at Imageshack, and upload your pictures.

Underneath the picture there is usually a code with [img] at the front and [/img] at the back of it. Then you just copy and paste that code in a post, and your picture will automatically show up!

I applaud you for learning Bryce, Maya isn't very easy at all and I'm sure that program takes some time to learn too.

oHsoDemandinG

Old 02-13-2008, 09:21 PM

Thanks. I tried to make a photobucket account once but I forgot why I stopped. :oops: I'll try it again. When I post my picture I would love for you to give me some advice on it if you don't mind.

demon_girl
⊙ω⊙

Old 02-14-2008, 01:06 AM

Sure, I'd love to see your work! I know it takes a lot of hard work and dedication to make anything in a 3D program.

Bryce seems to have a very intuitive interface, which is nice. I like the terrain mapping feature and the tool for making the sky and clouds.

Are you majoring in it at school, or going to go to college for it? Just curious! ^_^

tehrin
*^_^*
Send a message via AIM to tehrin Send a message via MSN to tehrin

Old 02-14-2008, 03:45 AM

I'm not into my animation program quite yet, because I'm still doing the first year stuff. But I already have a student version of Maya to mess around with. I've yet to really do anything with it yet. o_O It's difficult finding any decent beginner tutorials anywhere. D:

Murchu Volpe
Matticus Chufoxtrain

Old 02-14-2008, 06:14 AM

I'm a sophomore major in Character Animation, currently, and loving it. We're just starting to go through dialog animation and acting, and storyboarding a few shots for us to work on animating for the rest of the semester. Aside from that class, I have an official Storyboarding class, and a Character Design class where I'm modeling/rigging my own good-quality character. It's all quite exciting and it's definitely what I love to do. <3

Like the others have said, I use Maya too. ^^ You could at least snag the Personal Learning Edition, I'll bet. Bryce and Poser are fun 3d toys to play with and get your feet wet and I did a little bit with both of them a few years back, but Maya is the real world, if you get serious about it, so I advise looking into it soon. ♥

oHsoDemandinG

Old 02-14-2008, 09:07 PM

I'm actually still in highschool. I learned everything I know from a computer camp in Washington D.C. But I really want to major in it in college.

Everybody's mentioning Maya. Its making me curious. I've heard of it but I never paid much attention. Is it a really good program?

demon_girl
⊙ω⊙

Old 02-15-2008, 08:01 AM

Hi again,

I am glad to hear so many of you are into animation! I am actually about to graduate with a BFA in Digital Animation and Design in May. Maya is one of the programs I use along with ZBrush 3, AfterEffects, Flash, and so on.

oHsoDemandinG, that's great that you are already getting some exposure to 3D animation, it will really help prepare you for the classes you take in college.

Maya is the current industry standard used for making video games and even movies. 3D Studio Max is also commonly used. Large companies like Pixar however use their own proprietary software which is made specifically for them, although it's interface is supposedly very similar to Maya's.

Digital Tutors (www.digitaltutors.com) has some great video tutorials for anyone from beginners to experts. They are definitely worth checking out! ^_^

Rowan Flare
(-.-)zzZ

Old 02-27-2008, 08:48 PM

i use a 3D animation program the one similar to finding nemo its called lightwave, what do you need?

oHsoDemandinG

Old 02-27-2008, 09:23 PM

@demon_girl:Thanks. I'll be sure to cehck it out.

@Rowan Flare:Its cool to see more people like 3d animation. Can you tell me about lightwave? I've never heard of it.

D-Yoop
*^_^*

Old 03-18-2008, 02:48 PM

I'll try to watch this topic. I want to get into animations, and thus want to get to know a bit more about CGI and programs that are usefull.

Ive been trying to get into the shaping of 3d objects some times ago for the first time. I used swift3d, and followed a tutorial a bit. I kinda know the basics now, but not that much of it again either, since I only tried it out for 2 days. Once my laptop's repaired I'll go work on that again.

I'll probably want to check out maya.

hikage11

Old 03-18-2008, 03:07 PM

i'm using maya too for basic modeling and animation. i'm not much into rendering. the program is easy to learn ^^

oHsoDemandinG

Old 03-18-2008, 10:34 PM

At school they had us picking out our classes for next year and I'm taking computer programming, advanced drawing, and photography. All of these classes were recommended by teachers at school. I just wanted to ask you guys are these good classes to take in order to pursue a career in 3d animation?

Ariel
*^_^*

Old 04-02-2008, 03:09 PM

I also use Maya 2008. It's a good program, though the interface can be quite confusing. I disagree with hikage11, the program is not easy to learn. The basics are yes, but you could spend 5 years or more trying to learn each and every function/feature of Maya, but you still wouldn't know everything.
As for pursuing a career in 3D animation, you picked good classes. Photography may not seem like a good idea, but animators, modelers, and texture artists usually take lots of pictures for references.
At my college, Blender and Zbrush are also used, though I haven't used either of them yet, myself. Zbrush is really neat, though.
If you're going to use Maya, don't use the trial as it really sucks and is very limited.
You can find lots of neat tutorials on http://www.tutorialized.com/ for Lightwave and Maya.

Sonarius
*^_^*
Send a message via AIM to Sonarius

Old 04-22-2008, 04:41 AM

I have been Maya's be-yatch from 5.0 to 8.0. I went to 3D animation school for two years, then finally quite because the school was so F-ed up it's not funny. A lot of my friends are in the business though and like it. I had to much of a horrid time I can't do 3D without starting to get teh shakes.

Maya for basics is easy to learn, but anythign beyond that it's an adventure in hair pulling, but once you get it right, it's brilliant. I cannot discribe the pride I had at making my final demo reel. It's to bad I just don't particularly enjoy it enough to make a career out of it.

Learn zbrush if you are looking to be a modeller, it is ESSENTIAL. If your looking more towards animating, download other peoples models, learn rigging, and animate, don't bother making your own characters as it's a huge waist of time if you are looking to just animate.

And finally, when you go to get an education... it will cost an arm, leg and two kidneys, but make sure your school you have chosen knows what it's doing. recent numbers on graduats and hiring, how they handle helping you with your demo reel and if they specialize in learning mainly one area you really like and are talented in, or trying to cram as much into your cranium as possible and leave you dizzy and confused.

oHsoDemandinG

Old 04-22-2008, 11:00 PM

I just wanted to thank everybody for the information, and advice you all have given me. I really appreciate it.

GarretValentine
*^_^*

Old 05-22-2008, 05:53 AM

I am actually majoring in Bachelor of Science Degree in Computer Animation right now at a university.
There are so many softwares out there, but my school mainly teaches Maya.
We do learn 3dsMax as well, but not as in depth as we learn Maya.
Like I said, there are so many softwares out there that are more highend.

Also put in mind, that 3D Animation is a general terminology..
Within Computer Animation field, it branches out to several different divisions..
Such as modeling, texturing, lighting, rigging, compositing and so on...

oHsoDemandinG

Old 06-17-2008, 09:29 PM

Ok here it is . . . I finally figured it out. It took me forever because my picture never worked but eureka. I got it.

So . . critque is greatly appreciated

Melody
(づ ̄ ³ ̄) ...

Penpal
Send a message via AIM to Melody Send a message via MSN to Melody

Old 06-18-2008, 12:10 AM

I'm by no means a 3d art critic, but I like it. <3 I love the ripple effect and that the stuff in the far background is slightly out of focus. the only thing I can see that needs a bit of help is darkening around the fairy. since she looks placed on top of the rock instead of sitting there. <3 very well done though!!

oHsoDemandinG

Old 06-18-2008, 02:05 AM

Ok I get what your saying. I'm not too knowledgeable on shadows but I'll see what I can do.