Flareboy323
(-.-)zzZ

Old 09-13-2011, 10:30 PM

This thread will be about anything computer security related. This can be anything from your computer being infected with a virus, to figuring out ways to secure your website against attacks from hackers.

Right now, I'm typing up all of this in a text editor before I post it, so this thread will stay empty for a little while. I would love for this thread to be stickied so that more users can profit from it rather than only the ones who can find it.

Removing a virus from a computer running a Windows OS

The first lesson will be about how to remove a virus from your computer. I will have different things that you can do depending on the severity of the virus.

Assess the problem

What's the problem? That's the first thing that you have to find out. Depending on what it is, different actions will have to be taken. These are some of the symptoms of some of the different viruses that many users experience.

Remote Access Trojan

These are some of the symptoms of a Remote Access Trojan Virus. (Otherwise known as a RAT)

• Random windows opening up
• Random things being typed into open windows
• Webcam being randomly activated
• Mouse and Keyboard not working randomly
• CD Drive randomly opening

These can all be controlled and activated by the person who put the virus on your computer. There are a few simple ways to remove a virus like this.

1. Download MalwareBytes Virus Remover. This can be done by going to Malwarebytes : Free anti-malware, anti-virus and spyware removal download and downloading the free version. The free version works just as good as the paid one, though a few features are inaccessible.

2. Download a few files from my personal website, DARC Security. These are program that are freeware and were included in a CD that I got with a book I own called "Steal This Computer Book 4.0". These programs are the top free programs that can be used for removing malware, spyware, rootkits, and viruses. The files I would like you to download right now are:

• remover.exe
• comp_trojans.txt

Follow the instructions on the website for how to download them. They will be clearly marked. You can read the comp_trojans.txt file for more info on computer Trojans.

3. Run the programs. Hopefully, they will find any viruses/trojans/rootkits you may have combined with MalwareBytes!

Congratulations! Your free of the RAT!

Rootkits

Rootkits can be the worst of viruses. Some examples of these include the Windows Vista Recovery Virus and a few others. I have personally experienced some of the worst Rootkit viruses alive, normally causing me to wipe my laptop of its OS and reinstall it, or in some cases buy a new HDD. Those are for more unknown Rootkit though that people use as a personal weapon against computer security people, just out of spite for people who are trying to fix the vulnerabilities they love so much. In this section, I will explain how to remove some of them. If this guide doesn't help you, another easy way to remove them is to Google the name of the rootkit, such as "Windows Vista Recovery Virus Removal" :O You normally get pretty helpful results.

1. Download and install this program off of my website:

• RootkitRevealer.exe

Follow the instructions at the top of the page for how to run or download the file. To find it in the large list of files, just hit Ctrl+F and type in "rootkitrevealer" without the "".

2. Run the program. If you have a fairly known rootkit, the program should remove it :D

3. If the program couldn't detect/remove the rootkit, it may be because of the fact that the Rootkit is too unknown or unpopular to be known. Your going to want to Google how to remove it.

Congratulations! You're now Rootkit free! :)

STILL EDITING SORRY FOR THE INCONVENIENCE

Edit log:
Code:
9-15-11 --- Added Rootkit section and finished RAT section

Last edited by Flareboy323; 09-16-2011 at 01:53 AM..

Projectwolfie
Dr. Livingstone, I presume?

Old 09-14-2011, 08:44 PM

....Everyone forgets the Macs and everything else. *sigh*

ClamXav is by far the best scanner you can get your hands on. It's a port of the ClamAntiVirus engine, and it works very well.

The actual site: ClamXav
Mac App Store (Missing one feature though) : Mac App Store - ClamXav
Both are free, and won't ask you for money. They will also set up a quarantine folder if you should happen to find a virus infected file. REMEMBER: No Mac is virusproof either, even if they are a tiny bit more resistant (not really in the end).

I have no idea for Linux, although I believe it shouldn't be too hard to find something similar for it.

There are security apps for mobile phones, especially the Android types. I don't have any recommendations, although I would be interested in someone putting one up (I'll most likely be hacking a Nook after Christmas into a tablet with Gingerbread).

Last edited by Projectwolfie; 09-14-2011 at 08:53 PM..

Flareboy323
(-.-)zzZ

Old 09-14-2011, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Projectwolfie View Post
....Everyone forgets the Macs and everything else. *sigh*

ClamXav is by far the best scanner you can get your hands on. It's a port of the ClamAntiVirus engine, and it works very well.

The actual site: ClamXav
Mac App Store (Missing one feature though) : Mac App Store - ClamXav
Both are free, and won't ask you for money. They will also set up a quarantine folder if you should happen to find a virus infected file. REMEMBER: No Mac is virusproof either, even if they are a tiny bit more resistant (not really in the end).

I have no idea for Linux, although I believe it shouldn't be too hard to find something similar for it.

There are security apps for mobile phones, especially the Android types. I don't have any recommendations, although I would be interested in someone putting one up (I'll most likely be hacking a Nook after Christmas into a tablet with Gingerbread).
This is for windows, since its not possible to get viruses on things like Ubuntu Linux (I have it, I would know) and on Macs you have to be EXTREMELY stupid to get a virus, no offense. But this guide is mostly for windows, as thats the OS that most people have. And hey, I said STILL EDITING THIS NOT DONE right on the post, so how do you know I'm not going to add that? :/ just saying...

Last edited by Captain Howdy; 09-14-2011 at 10:34 PM..

Projectwolfie
Dr. Livingstone, I presume?

Old 09-15-2011, 06:25 AM

Woah, alright... no need to jump. This is a friendly place, just trying to contribute.

Anaxilea
Slacker Queen
Send a message via AIM to Anaxilea Send a message via MSN to Anaxilea Send a message via Yahoo to Anaxilea

Old 09-15-2011, 12:16 PM

Wow, yeah, no need to jump on wolfie :( If this thread isn't open, you should put CLOSED in the title. Otherwise, expect people to do what a social network is all about and contribute.

When you're ready for that, let me know, as I can contribute a ton about the Android OS.

Flareboy323
(-.-)zzZ

Old 09-15-2011, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaxilea View Post
Wow, yeah, no need to jump on wolfie :( If this thread isn't open, you should put CLOSED in the title. Otherwise, expect people to do what a social network is all about and contribute.

When you're ready for that, let me know, as I can contribute a ton about the Android OS.
Haha ok and sorry about jumping on wolfie. I just figured when it says that I'm still editing, if people read the post they would know that :/

Starlock
(-.-)zzZ

Old 09-15-2011, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Projectwolfie View Post
I have actually had problems with this software, and given the rarity of viruses on Macs, I just removed it. Every so often - and I couldn't discern what triggered this - ClamX would suddenly take up the lion's share of my computer's memory. Everything would slow down horribly. It took me a while to figure out this program was to blame until I scoped it out using Activity Monitor and saw it using over 70% of the CPU. Got rid of the program after I got tired of it making my poor Mac crawl like a tortoise.

My dad, though, who uses it on two machines hasn't had this issue. So I would still suggest installing it if you're concerned. Just be aware that you may run into this crazy slowdown issue, in which case it probably isn't worth the fuss. :sweat:

Flareboy323
(-.-)zzZ

Old 09-16-2011, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starlock View Post
I have actually had problems with this software, and given the rarity of viruses on Macs, I just removed it. Every so often - and I couldn't discern what triggered this - ClamX would suddenly take up the lion's share of my computer's memory. Everything would slow down horribly. It took me a while to figure out this program was to blame until I scoped it out using Activity Monitor and saw it using over 70% of the CPU. Got rid of the program after I got tired of it making my poor Mac crawl like a tortoise.

My dad, though, who uses it on two machines hasn't had this issue. So I would still suggest installing it if you're concerned. Just be aware that you may run into this crazy slowdown issue, in which case it probably isn't worth the fuss. :sweat:
Thanks for the info, I'll make sure that I add this comment to the Mac section when I post it :)