Ruby Red
(-.-)zzZ

Old 08-30-2014, 11:05 PM

Do you prefer calling anime by their Japanese names or their English name?

For example:-Shingeki no Kyojin or Attack on Titan
-Au no Exorcist or Blue Exorcist

Exaggerated Rebellion
The Best Bounced Check

Old 09-01-2014, 12:48 AM

Depends on the show/manga.

Generally I go with whatever it's advertised as in America.

Antagonist
The Great Adversary

Penpal

Old 09-01-2014, 08:47 AM

I go by their Chinese names.

Although for English/Japanese names when discussing it online, it depends on which name I first learned of the series. Like for Shingeki no Kyojin I go by the Japanese name because that was the name I came across first (after looking it up on Wikipedia because I only knew the Chinese version's name at the time), and for Blue Exorcist I go by the English because that was the name I came across first.

Seito
Evil Overlord

Old 09-01-2014, 09:24 AM

I'm similar to Anta. It's whatever name I learn first usually. The only time I actively use the English despite learning the Japanese one first are the ones where I have trouble remember/spelling the Japanese one. Like for Attack on Titan, I remember the Shingeki part but never the Kyojin part (other then it starts with a K cause SoK) so it's just easier to say Attack on Titan instead of looking up to see if I'm spelling it right all the time.

Black Butler is another one I have trouble with. >< (Kuroshitsuji I think? Have I finally remembered it?! That at least looks right...)

Mystic
(ο・㉨・&...

Old 09-01-2014, 01:32 PM

I go with whatever I learn first as well. This is more out of habit than anything else though.

Antagonist
The Great Adversary

Penpal

Old 09-02-2014, 02:22 AM

I had more problem with the Shingeki part rather than the Kyojin, because I know kyo and jin and their meanings, but I keep remembering shingeki wrong and spelling it as shinogeki rather than shingeki. >_>

Oddly I didn't have any problems with remembering how to spell Kuroshitsuji...I know it's suppose to be kuro, shi, tsu, and ji when pronouncing it but when spelling it I memorize it as kuro, shit, and then suji. xDDDDDD;;

Seito
Evil Overlord

Old 09-02-2014, 02:23 AM

xD I only remember the Kuro part. Everything is skjflkjg in my head.

Kay Lynn
Classes are kickin' my butt

Old 09-02-2014, 05:04 PM

*Poof*
It's gone!

Last edited by Kay Lynn; 11-24-2016 at 02:41 AM..

Pistachio_Moustache
Thief of Your Intellectual Prope...

Penpal

Old 09-03-2014, 02:31 PM

Whichever I learn first.
For SNK, I called it Attack on Titan first, but learned the Japanese later, and call it SNK now.
xDD

But if I see it on Netflix, the name is usually in English, so that's what I call it.
Until I look it up, and learn the Japanese name.
xD

linapoo
\(@O@)ʌ...

Old 09-14-2014, 05:40 AM

I generally say the Japanese name unless it's like meant to be an English named title like Rabu Suteji = Love Stage

also I'm like Seito
I remember the first word and then the rest is like falsieglijalsdkjf...
XDD

The Wandering Poet
Captain Oblivious

Penpal

Old 09-14-2014, 02:08 PM

Pretty much the same way everyone else does. Though I typically use english talking to other people since nobody else I know learned any Japanese.

IndigoKitsune
Computer Bug

Old 09-15-2014, 04:55 PM

If I am able to pronounce the Japanese name I use it, if I can't figure out how to say it I use the English name for the show.

Miyan
Miyan

Old 09-18-2014, 03:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antagonist View Post
I go by their Chinese names.

Although for English/Japanese names when discussing it online, it depends on which name I first learned of the series. Like for Shingeki no Kyojin I go by the Japanese name because that was the name I came across first (after looking it up on Wikipedia because I only knew the Chinese version's name at the time), and for Blue Exorcist I go by the English because that was the name I came across first.
Yep. Like for example, some fans didn't know AoT (shortform for Attack on Titan), but when you use SnK (Shingeki no Kyojin), then they'll say, "Oohh". Funny this way, cause its actually the same meaning, but it just shows that not all understand/knows Japanese, so the English title more like helping those who don't.

ValkyireMoom
Love my wolves

Old 03-29-2015, 06:33 PM

Japanese name always they are fun to say

Chikyu
Celestial Potato

Old 03-29-2015, 06:37 PM

It all depends on how I'm first introduced to it. If I only know it and say it as its japanese name then I say it. If I first hear of it in English, then I say it in English.
Such as Kimi ni Todoke, which I say in japanese. I just recently found out it means from me to you, but I still say it by it's Japanese name.

lol, I call attack on titan SNK cuz it's shorter XD

Quantum Angel
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Old 07-28-2015, 03:18 AM

It depends on the language I'm speaking and whether or not the thing in question HAS an official English name.

Things that are No Export For You (my brother introduces me to a lot of these), I refer to by their Japanese names regardless - Aibou (a police drama that we only recently found out is aired, subbed, on a TV station we get) is always going to be Aibou, no matter what I'm speaking, unless it does get an actual official export name.

But if it has an official name in the language I'm speaking, I'll say it in that language.

If I'm speaking a language it's NOT officially translated into (sometimes an issue in Spanish), I'll default to the original name.

For-Chan Cookie
A Cookie for Fun

Old 07-29-2015, 05:01 AM

I go with whatever is easier for me to remember. It's generally what I heard it as first, but my ability to remember that name takes precedence.

Also, my ability to pronounce it has a lot to do with me saying that name in public. If I feel I'm going to mangle it, I'll refer to it by its English name.

Emma Corrin
Li Mei's Ninja Knight

Old 08-17-2015, 09:09 PM

I find that they're usually interchangeable for me! I always refer it to what I learn it as first (whether it's English or Japanese) - but once I know both I find myself interchanging them quite frequently depending on how I'm referring to it or where - or just basically what mood I'm in lol I will say that some of them are very hard for me to remember completely - like Black Butler - I know the Japanese name when I see it, but I can't get it out of my mouth easy enough to not butcher it because of my stuttering issue that develops when I get anxious lol It all really depends on the situation really!

la-la-london
(-.-)zzZ

Old 12-27-2015, 09:18 AM

It depends on which one i saw first.

salvete
(づ ̄ ³ ̄) ...

Old 12-29-2015, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exaggerated Rebellion View Post
Depends on the show/manga.

Generally I go with whatever it's advertised as in America.
I have the same answer