Artifex
less than three

Old 05-23-2014, 01:47 AM

Prophesy of Kingdoms to Fall is where this character is from. His initial profile will be here followed by journals/flashbacks of the past and maybe even his thoughts on current events in the rp.

---------- Post added 05-22-2014 at 09:55 PM ----------

▬▬▬▬▬ Hemset • • • • •
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ as played by Artifex

"I am not a child"

PHYSICAL

Nickname Set
Title Mage of the Mountain

Age 14
Gender Male
Orientation Undetermined (he's only 14!)
Hair Rusty brown
Eyes Several shades of blue
Build His natural slim build sometimes gives him the illusion of having muscle but in truth there isn't much there. He isn't tall by any means and still has quite some growing to do.
Skin tone Light, though not pale. He is capable of tanning quite dark should he be in the sun for a time, though that doesn't often happen.
Height 5'4
Weight 110
Handed Ambidexterous
Body markings None of note
Scars Many across his body mostly, though a bit faded now and typically covered by many layers of clothing.

MENTAL & EMOTIONAL

Personality Hemset is a naturally kind soul, hardened over harsh experiences. His first reaction is always to come to another's aid before experience calls for caution.

Mortal Alignment Neutral Good: Hemset does the best that a good person can do. He is devoted to helping others though he does it in his own way.

Motivation Hemset is most motivated by the teachings of his predecessor Lakar. To do good and to help those who deserve it.

Fear(s) Being made a fool. Because of his youth, Hemset it always trying to prove that he is capable and deserving of his position. Anything that shows to the contrary (ie; tomfoolery) only negates all his hard work to be taken seriously, despite how much he does want to join in on games sometimes.
Physical contact makes him very uncomfortable.
The biggest fear he has however is fire. Fire holds a heavy role in Hemset's past, it has taken away nearly all he has ever held dear. He believes that one day fire will end his life as well.

Likes Swimming, Magic, people watching, reading.

Dislikes Fire, obviously. He also will not stand for people being picked on. Hemset also despises mushrooms.

Strengths
  • He's good an analyzing situations from a distance and giving advice on them.

• Hemset is very knowledgeable about many subjects of interest including: languages, magic, creatures and random "did you know" facts.
  • He has a strong natural affiliation with almost anything magical
    Hemset is also a fairly accomplished pickpocket and while he has turned away from that life, he maintains the practised ability-more for parlor tricks and to get on people's nerves
Weaknesses
  • Despite his knowledge he doesn't have a lot of hands on experience, nor is he physically strong
  • He can have trouble with split-second decision making and terrible at handling both children and animals
  • Hemset isn't very good with healing magic

SPIRITUAL

Faith & Morals As far as faith goes, Hemset finds himself a new disciple of the High Goddess. It wasn't until he nearly met his end upon a pirate ship that he even began to believe in anything but with his teacher Lakar's guidance, Hemset has become newly devout.
He has always had a strong set of morals however. He knows that not everyone is provided with the opportunity to better their lives so he does all that he can to provide it to the less fortunate. However he only does so to those he has personally looked into and has decided that they will not squander the chance. If you want your life to improve, you must deserve it.

Virtues Charity, diligence, kindness and humility. Hemset seeks out the less fortunate to aid. He will not quit a job until it is done and done right and he will always aid another with no thought on returning the favour-in fact he does most of his helping in secret to avoid just that. Hemset is also quite modest about his acts and his abilities. He does not see himself as someone special or above any other, but merely a boy who was given ample opportunity towards a better life. A gift he is determined to share.
Sins Wrath is perhaps the deadliest of sins that Hemset falls prey to. All the people in his past whom have taken advantage of him, abused him and especially to those who killed his brother, Hemset would see them all dead and in the most excruciating way possible. He takes this anger out on anyone who would abuse their power over those beneath them. Under such circumstances, he is capable of very little self restraint.

ATTIRE

Head/Neck Hemset doesn't typically wear hats of any sort but he does wear a necklace. It's a black stone with a badly drawn crown etched into the surface, attached to a leather thread that secures it in place. Typically the stone rests beneath his shirt, away from prying eyes.
Body Body Simplicity is Hemset's way in many aspects. He wears a brown cotton shirt with a pair of dark black/brown pants. While the pants are new they are patched with sections of leather that are more for added protection than to cover holes across his knees and along the sides. They tuck into a pair of brown leather boots, also fairly new, though soft and well stitched. He wears a trench coat of a similar patchwork style that flows just passed his knees and often has a pair of gloves for cooler weather.
Around his waist Hemset wears a belt that holds a satchel on his side. He keeps many useful things there, helpful plants that he finds while he is out and simple items of interest as well as a bit of gold, though that is more to give to those who need it than to purchase anything for himself.

WEAPONRY & EQUIPMENT

Staff of the Mage A staff is a wonderful thing. It hurts when it hits just right but unless you're quite skilled it won't usually kill. This is an important feature when one if prone to injuring themselves in practise. Of course, Hemset has come a long way since then and at this point he finds himself quite skilled with it.
Nowadays he holds the staff of the mage, most of the time it looks like a common walking stick but it is a capable tool used to help focus one's magic and direct it. When being used as such it burns with ancient runes.

Magic Hemset wields magic only when it's necessary. Despite how he loves the way it feels and flows, he tries not to use it for every little thing if he can avoid doing so. However when he is forced to use his ability, his skills range between a large variety of schools; from destruction magic to creation, scrying, teleportation, illusion and evocation. The one area that he falls short in is restoration and healing.

COMBAT ABILITY

Rating System
[Perfect] - [Excellent] - [Above Average] - [Average] - [Below Average] - [Poor] - [Terrible] - [No Skill]

Hand-to-hand [Poor] -- -- His own two hands was all he had for some time, yet Hemset learned to take a punch better than to ever throw one.
Melee [Above average] -- Hemset was never very skilled with sharp weapons, for some reason he always ended up hurting himself. What he excelled at more was with blunt weapons, in particular a staff. With added guidance from Lakar, he has honed this ability further, making him a fair match against most other weapons. However should he pick up anything else, he would not be any good with them.
Ranged [Poor] -- -- Unless it has something to do a ranged magic attack, Hemset finds himself less than accurate. Bows take too much arm strength to hold back and anything else just feels... unnatural.
Magic [Above Average] -- Hemset was born with an exceptional gift in magic but his understanding of it is still limited. He has a natural ability in destruction magic but has forgone proper training in that area and instead he excels in illusions and creation magic. People tend not to mess with him when they believe he has a dragon summoned to his side.
Mounted [No skill] -- Hemset, in fact, has never really had occasion or opportunity to ride a horse. He does not know how.

BACKGROUND

Kingdom Affiliation He resides in Rashmaal though tries to remain neutral in matters of the war.
Marital Status Single
Occupation Mage of the Mountain
History
Hello, my name is Lakar and I am here to tell you what I know about my pupil, Hemset. Over the few short years we have known each other he has confided much me and now I share it with you. Use this information wisely, I would not see it be harbored against him.

Beginnings
Hemset originated from a land far away, across the sea from Rashmaal and Yuua and their war. Unfortunately while he was very young his village burned to the ground along with his parents, leaving only Hemset and his brother Mekhet to take care of him.

5 to 7 years old-Mekhet
Hemset and Mekhet settled in a city by the sea. They were weary, without money and desperately hungry, finding shelter in an abandoned shack on the edge of town. Hemset stayed inside while Mekhet went out in search for food and water. He always return with something of note, even a game sometimes.

Hemset had no real idea about what his brother did to feed them, just that on occasion he would bring home games to play. Hemset loved games of strategy, his favourite being chess.

Mekhet began to come home with injuries though never said what happened, just that this was why it was dangerous out there, this was why Hemset had to stay hidden. Hemset pressed a small black stone into Mekhet's hand one night, it was his chess piece, the king. "He'll protect you" promised the younger brother.

It warmed Mekhet's heart but unfortunately, the piece didn't do much good. Soon his employers came knocking. They both looked like monsters to Hemset. Mekhet stood in front of his brother protectively.

The men were not impressed, that was for certain. They seemed to think that Hemset should join their crew of thieves, earn his own keep alongside his brother but Mekhet wouldn't have any of it. Still, the two boys weren't much of a match against full grown men so Mekhet told Hemset to run while he held them off. Mekhet's last words to his younger brother were, "I will find you".

He never did.

Hemset ran but he didn't get far before the smell of smoke caught his attention and he looked back. Their new home was alight with fire and there was no sign of his brother. Numbed to the bone, Hemset collapsed against the wall of a nearby building and watched the place until morning, when it had finally burned out.

There was nothing left as Hemset stepped through the rubble. All that he ever found was that black stone, etched with a crown-the king that he had given his brother next to a hand that jutted out from the rubble of a fallen wall. That was Mekhet, burned and buried alive.

Hemset was at a loss, starving, exhausted and alone he took that little stone and began wandering the streets in a haze.

7 to 8.5 years-pirates
He had to leave the city. He simply could not stay there, with those angry men and no Mekhet... it was too much to bear, so Hemset made his way straight to the harbour. He had no way to buy passage onto a ship and no one seemed willing to take on a seven year old boy with no experience so that left one option. So he picked a ship and stowed away.

Twelve days passed with success before Hemset was discovered, at which point he was brought before a less than thrilled captain. Thankfully the man opted to put Hemset to work to pay his passage instead of casting him overboard. He aided in the kitchens, swabbed the deck, cleaned out some of the most disgusting areas of the ship but at least in return he had a full belly and a place to sleep. The crew treated him fairly, even kindly but as all good things seemed to be, it was short lived.

They were set upon by pirates. Unable to outrun them the crew was forced to try and fight them off and they failed, terribly. The pirates killed everyone aboard though when they came upon Hemset, hidden in the captains quarter's for safety, the pirate captain called Red beard Roy, gave a black-toothed grin. "I've always wanted a little cabin boy" The way he said it chilled Hemset to the bone.

And so, in a sense, that was what he became. The pirates, after savaging all of worth from the good ship, set it alight and sailed away from the wreckage. Having no other choice, aside from walking the plank, Hemset honestly tried to take on the role, on the ship known as the Bloody Haul, doing for these pirates what he had once done for the sailors he had called friends. However these men were much less interested in his cleaning and cooking aid than they were into... other things.

Hemset suffered many injuries and indignities at the hands of that crew. All in all, it was a miracle he didn't catch infection and die.

Months passed and Hemset barely saw land though never set foot upon it and he never saw anyone aside from the crew. More than once the waves called temptingly to take him away into death, each time they called stronger than before until one day he closed his eyes and stepped up on the railing. "If there is a god, let this be the end" he whispered to the wind.

"Ship HO!" yelled the lookout from above and Hemset startled but kept his balance and looked to the horizon where a ship could be seen sailing in their direction. Hemset heard the others speak, it was from the Rashmaal navy. The Bloody Haul wouldn't stand a chance, they had to out run it. He had seen them outrun many ships when the need called, Hemset doubted this one would be different, especially since they only had a few hours until the cover of night... and yet it provided another opportunity for him.

Hemset stiffened as he heard the captain's voice calling him, not that they had bothered to learn his name, it was just "boy". Hemset looked at the ship and then the vast amount of water between them. He wasn't a strong swimmer, and it could take hours to reach them but if he could before nightfall... if he could just make it that far.

One of the nearby crew members grabbed his arm to try and pull him down from the rail but this was it. Now or Never. Hemset booted the man in the face as hard as he could-which threw him off balance of course and he plummeted to the waves below.

The water was icy cold and the waves were far from calm. Thankfully no one one the Bloody Haul seemed to deem him worth pausing for and they sailed on their way, so Hemset began to swim. It wasn't until the sun had begun to set that he found himself out of the dreadful waters and aboard the navy ship. They helped the waterlogged Hemset recover and brought him back to land-sweet, glorious land called Rashmaal.

8.5-10 years-New beginnings.
As you may have guessed, Hemset did not have anywhere to go or even any way of getting food beyond the little meal the crew had given him. All he had were the clothes on his back (a tattered shirt and fairly soiled pants) and a fresh start in a brand new place. He didn't even have a set of shoes, only a pair of thick soled feet and yet, the world seem to shine brighter here.

Knowing how dangerous a career in thieving could get, Hemset tried to stay away from it as much as possible however at times it seemed to be the only option if he wanted to live-and that he did. There was a god out there somewhere that had seen him in his time of need and given him the opportunity to survive, it would be disrespectful to go and die now.

Hemset had become very quiet on his feet, the only good skill learned on the Bloody Haul. Deciding it was best to keep to himself he found a hidden place to stay and while in public, Hemset bore his attitude like an animal bares it's fangs. A young boy like that doesn't attract much attention, most people hardly noticed him but he saw them. In fact, the things Hemset heard when no one thought anyone was listening could fill not only pages, but entire prisons. He merely had no interest in using it.

Despite his efforts Hemset did make the occasional friend I'm sure, however he did not speak of them to me.

10-14 years-Lakar
This is where I come in, your narrator of this little tale, Lakar. I have been the Mage of the Mountain for many years. I don't often go to the marketplace but it was such a day that I met Hemset, a small boy of ten at the time. He stole my satchel of gold.

He was very good, I hardly noticed. In fact, I might not have noticed at all if I hadn't been watching him first. I was looking for an apprentice-I was in dire need of one and I found Hemset, as unique as they come.

He thought he had gotten away but I pursued, tracking him to a side alley a few streets over where he thought himself safe. His whole body froze and seemed to brace for impact, when I didn't hit him he looked up at me with such fear. I'm not sure what else he thought I would do, but it terrified him.

"I'm not going to hurt you" I told him as gently as I could. It didn't seem to calm him at all so I released him and took a step back-tripped over my own feet and fell flat on my backside. He immediately tried to run so with a sigh I slammed the butt of my staff into the ground and a spell of vines seized Hemset by the arms and legs, pinning him against the wall again.

I insisted that he have lunch with me at least-I really should have lead with that because the mention of food instantly swayed him. He picked a rather expensive spot to eat, the cheeky boy and I spoke while he listened-I think. He wasn't terribly polite and he didn't seem interested in my offer so much as he was in the meal. He tried to leave again after, stuffing a few bread rolls in his pockets.

I was disappointed to say the least. I really didn't want to play my next card but he didn't seem to understand how important he was. I knew he had spending a lot of time with a women in her twenties name Sarah. She was very pregnant and despite his efforts, very malnourished. From what I had seen of him, he was always trying to help someone but she actually meant something to him. So I offered to help.

That did it, I had him. I had my apprentice, thank the goddess. Though perhaps it was too soon for that. We headed back to the place he had been calling home, that ungodly broken down building. I waited outside while he ran in to fetch his things but he came running out shortly later screaming for my aid.

His friend, the woman called Sarah had given birth in his absence. The child, a little girl wet with her mother's blood was cradled in Hemset's arms and crying loudly. I ran in to help but it was by far too late. Sarah had been dead for nearly an hour. We hastened our return to the mountain and I set to work on trying to keep the child alive but unlike most injuries this child's body did not know what healthy yet felt like. It is very difficult to cure an ailment when the body does not know any different. We worked tirelessly through the night but by morning the babe was lost to us.

Hemset wept and as much as his tears broke my heart it told me everything I would ever need to know about him. He had a heart stronger than any man I had ever seen, he was perfect for the job, though I prayed it would not overwhelm him.

I helped him give Sarah and her child a proper funeral, aside from the fact that every being deserves a proper funeral, it also helped to dull the edge of Hemset's tongue towards me. Surprisingly enough, he was actually grateful, despite my failings to aid the woman and child. I did not expect one so young to be able to see passed his grief and to know that I had done all I could.

He was still willing to honour our deal and we launched into the world of magic together. Hemset was a quick study and always eager to master all I taught him. He seemed to have a natural talent for the school of destruction magic, fire to be exact. We worked one day to discover what he would be best at, a spell to see what he would natural conjure forward and when he opened his eyes there flames springing to life from his hands. To say that the event startled him would be shy of the truth. He screamed and fell back in horror, the fire leaping from his hands to the surroundings. I lost a few valuable books that day but at least I was able to calm him down and put out the fire.

I learned quickly of Hemset's fear of flame. Fire had taken away nearly all that he had held dear in life and as he stared at his own hands, a revelation crossed his features.

For a moment I thought he might have been losing his mind but as I knelt before him and looked into those troubled blue eyes I knew that despite his past, Hemset was saner than most. His heart was heavy for certain but his mind was clearing of the cobwebs that youth and tragedy had forged to protect him for the memory of setting his home village ablaze. It was an accident, I tried to convince him, time and again I tried but this was one topic to which he would not listen to reason. I'm not sure he will ever stop blaming himself to the hundreds that died that day. Moreover, because of that he finally accepted everything else that had happened to him, for in his mind it proved some sort of penance.

14 years-The Mage of the Mountain
I mentioned before how crucial it was that I find an apprentice as soon as possible but I neglected to explain why. You see, I'm dying. I have been feeling the crippling effects of old age for some time now and have been fighting it off for, perhaps, too long. I simply could not find someone good enough you see. A kind yet fierce soul, someone who would go beyond his duty of keeping peace and balance in the world but who would legitimately care about those within it. Someone who had seen all the sides of man, good, evil and the in between. Someone who would not choose one side of the war over the other. Someone wise and objective and with a strong faith in the High Goddess.

Hemset has all these things and more, some he did not yet realize. I only wish that I had more time to spend with him. The four years that we had were short but filled with progress. Hemset was a quick study in many things and Magic was no exception. Things that took me decades to master, he picked up in those few short years and while he had much practise ahead of him, at least he was able to grasp the basics he needed. I pray it is enough and as my final day nears I see my prayers being answered.

He must have noticed that I've been slowing down. He did not press so hard in our last sparring match. Aside from magic I was teaching him to properly use a staff in combat. Perhaps I was stumbling more than usual though I had hoped he would chalk it up to my typical clumsiness. He did not. My pupil knew me well and his eyes were skilled in the art of observation. He knew something was wrong and finally he demanded the answer from me.

I leaned heavily on my staff as I stepped towards the sharp edge of the mountain arena. Far below lay the beautiful city where he and I first met. It was always a welcome sight. I told him that this was the end, it would be my last day, our last lesson.

We did not actually speak for awhile as we gazed over the cliff to the world below. I did not wish to leave him with another funeral, he had had so many sour goodbyes already. So we said our goodbyes and parting words before I stepped backward off the edge of the cliff.

It has been three months since then and my pupil's heart is yet heavy with grief. A life as the Mage of the Mountain can be a lonely one, I hope he finds someone to share life's joys in.

OTHER

Extras
Theme Song https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Do0...jCaGIkmebiz3og

Artifex
less than three

Old 05-31-2014, 06:53 PM

Hemset was born to a simple household, in a small distant village called Frodan. He had one older brother named Mekhet, who was five years older than him, and two loving parents. This was during a time of drought, which made it difficult to maintain their way of life. Many people were leaving the village as the wells began to run low, making it an even smaller community.

Everyone in there knew one another and as he began to grow Hemset had many friends. One in particular was a little girl named Sarah that was the same age as him. After only a few play dates they were inseparable, they spent every day together if they could. Hemset had never been an outdoorsy child, so he and Sarah spent most of their play time inside with their combined fortune of toys and play things.

However around Hemset's fifth year tragedy began to strike. Sarah had a terrible accident and died. Despite their efforts, Hemset was young and did not yet grasp the meaning of death. However the realization soon sunk in when a terrible fire swept the village short after. Due to the drought there was no means to putting an end to it, people were forced to flee for their lives.

Thanks to Mekhet, the two brothers managed to escape however their parents did not, leaving the pair orphaned. They left the burning wreckage in search of a new home.

Last edited by Artifex; 06-18-2014 at 04:44 PM..

Artifex
less than three

Old 06-02-2014, 11:19 PM

5 to 6 years old-SETTLING
Hemset and Mekhet settled in a city by the sea. They were weary, without money and desperately hungry. They found shelter in an abandoned shack on the edge of town and though it held little comfort, it at least would keep the rain from their heads. Mostly. At least the ivy covered stone walls were in relatively good standing but they had to create a make-shift door out of old pieces of wood. It would work for now.

Mekhet convinced Hemset to stay there while he went for food and this became their arrangement. Hemset rarely left their new home, it wasn't exactly a safe place to wander. Mekhet however would leave for a few hours and always return with something of note. Food, water, even a game sometimes.

One day Hemset noticed a strange marking on his brother's foot, it was a symbol that had been tattooed there.

"I got a job" Mekhet explained with a shrug, "this means I'm one of them now, that they'll take care of us."

When Hemset turned six, Mekhet brought home a fascinating board, checkered with light and dark squares that they could play several different games on-all they needed were the pieces. First Mekhet taught him checkers after finding a collection of dark and light coloured stones. When he tired of that, they started learning chess. Though that proved more difficult, not only to figure out but they had to mark their stones in different ways for each piece. At least it gave Hemset something to do during the day.

Once they had both learned it, Chess became their favourite game to play. Hemset liked going second so he almost always played black. They could go on for hours until the sky began to darken and they could no longer see the pieces. As time went on however, Mekhet had to leave more frequently and Hemset had only himself the play against. Those long days could get quite lonely, despite all Mekhet did to provide him with games.

Last edited by Artifex; 06-18-2014 at 04:44 PM..

Artifex
less than three

Old 06-03-2014, 12:42 PM

6 to 7 years old-Mekhet

Mekhet began to come home with injuries; a black eye, scrapes and bruises and sprains. Hemset had to go out himself and fetch water from nearby more than once to help soothe the injuries. Mekhet never said what happened, just that this was why it was dangerous out there, this was why Hemset had to stay hidden here.

Hemset pressed a small black stone into Mekhet's hand one night, it was his chess piece, the king. "He'll protect you" promised the younger brother.

It warmed Mekhet's heart but unfortunately, the piece didn't do much good. Only a few days later Mekhet's troubles came to a head. His employers managed to follow him home, a pair of men who ran an underground ring of thieving children. Apparently they weren't happy with Mekhet's profits and had decided to come teach him a lesson for "stealing" from them.

The door broke down without much effort at all and the two men stepped into their home. One was tall and thin with wide, blood-shot eyes and an attempt at a mustache on his lip. The other was average height for an adult perhaps, but a head shorter than the other and a might bit fat with beady, dark eyes. They both looked like monsters to Hemset. Mekhet stood in front of his brother protectively.

"Well well, who's this now?" spoke the tall one, "Is this who you've been spending our money on?"

"I've only been using my share" Mekhet insisted, "You always get yours, leave him out of it"

"You know Breggy" spoke the tall to the shorter one, "I think we've been too generous. We've been letting him keep enough for two of these stinkers to live off of."

"I think yer right" the other, Breggy apparently, replied, "I think that kid should earn his own."

Mekhet shook his head firmly, "He's only six, he isn't old enough"

"Six and a half!" Hemset protested, clearly not understanding what was going on. It caused a hearty laugh from the adults that showed off their nasty lack of teeth. Mekhet hushed his brother.

"You hear that? Six and a half, plenty old enough" Breggy smirked, stepping forward, "now come here"

"Set, Run" Mekhet ordered before charging forward and body-checking his shoulder into the fat man's gut.

"B-but Het" Hemset protested.

"I will find you! Just run!" the older brother demanded as the taller man advanced. Hemset turned and bolted through a hole in the back.

He ran and ran as far and fast as he could manage and he didn't stop until he was out of breath. To be honest, he hadn't made it terribly far away, just a few blocks before the less than athletic boy collapsed to his knees in an alleyway. He hid behind a large bin to catch his breath, knees pulled up against his chest in fear. At least he only had to wait, Mekhet would find him. He just had to wait.
Hemset had no idea how long he stayed there but eventually the smell of something burning caught his senses and he looked up to see a trail of smoke rising above the buildings.

Carefully he began to make his way to towards it. He wasn't too sure what he expected, perhaps Mekhet was sending a signal? But he certainly did not expect to see that little shack, his home for almost two years, blazing away in the night. He was stunned to say the least, his heart dropped to his stomach and he felt frozen, eyes mesmerized by the flames that destroyed everything he knew for a second time. The fire flowed up the dried out vines that wrapped themselves around the building, assuring that everything was completely consumed.

Hemset stayed there, far removed from the blaze while it grew, attracting the attention of others who fought to put it out to no avail. Eventually they gave up, there wasn't enough of them and there wasn't enough water so they just had to let it burn itself out and keep it from spreading.

By morning the shack was merely a smoking pile of ash and the pain of hunger began to fight its way through the smoke that had clouded Hemset's mind. He couldn't bring himself to leave, what did food matter? Mekhet had been in that building... but maybe he had made it out? With no one left in the area, Hemset got to his weary feet and stumbled forward into the wreck.

There was nothing left, not a single thing-and then he stumbled over something and fell to the ground, becoming covered in soot. Looking back to see what it was, Hemset saw a charred hand sticking out from the rubble. He would have screamed if he could find his voice but then he noticed, beneath where the hand lay was a stone. Now, a little stone like that would not have caught anyone else's eye but Hemset recognized it immediately as one of their chess pieces. He had spent hours, days etching into each one as perfectly as possible and this was one of them.

Swallowing anxiously, Hemset reached out and picked it up. It was the black king, the king he had given to Mekhet, to keep him safe. That was it, the tears finally came and they couldn't be stopped as Hemset looked to the charred hand again. The rest of the body was buried beneath rubble as one of the walls had caved in on top of the person but there was no doubt in his mind who it must have been. There was only one person who could have this little stone. That was Mekhet, burned and buried alive, no wonder why he hadn't come.

Hemset was at a loss, starving, exhausted and alone he took that little stone and began wandering the streets in a haze. What now? ... What now?
Hunger, that's what. It hit like a punch to the gut as soon as the shock began to wear off, luckily he found himself wandering into the marketplace and the first thing that caught Hemset's eye was a bread stand. Sweet, delicious bread.

He stumbled straight for it, picked up a loaf and started eating it right there. Of course, the man behind the table had something to say about it but Hemset just stood there like a buffoon as the bread was ripped from his hands. He looked up at the bread stand man, his eyes must have held enough sorrow to break the adult's heart because he ushered Hemset to the side, reluctantly gave him the bread that already had a few bites out of it, along with a bit of water. Hemset ate, drank and passed out right there shortly after.

When he awoke he was somewhere else entirely. A warm house and in a soft bed but there were voices coming from the other room. Hemset arose and peeked through the door, only to see that fat man speaking to the baker that had saved him. Fear struck Hemset's heart and he bolted, climbing out the window and away.

Last edited by Artifex; 06-18-2014 at 04:47 PM..

Artifex
less than three

Old 06-03-2014, 07:57 PM

7 to 8.5 years-Pirates
He had to leave the city. He simply could not stay there, with those angry men and no Mekhet... it was too much to bear, so Hemset made his way straight to the harbour. Without any money he had no way to buy passage onto a ship and no one seemed willing to take on a seven year old boy with no experience so that left one option. Hemset picked a ship heading across to Rashmaal, Mekhet had told him rumors of the place and it sounded wonderful. Then he sneaked on board and waited for them to depart.

Twelve days passed with success before Hemset was discovered stealing food from the kitchens, at which point he was brought before a less than thrilled captain. Thankfully the man had less taste for casting seven year old boys off his boat, than he did for putting them to work to pay his passage. It was yet a long way to Rashmaal, so Hemset was set to work in any way that he could be of help. He aided in the kitchens, swabbed the deck, cleaned out some of the most disgusting areas of the ship but at least in return he had a full belly and a place to sleep. The crew treated him fairly, even kindly but as all good things seemed to be, it was short lived.

They were set upon by pirates. Unable to outrun them the crew was forced to try and fight them off and they failed, terribly. The pirates killed everyone aboard though when they came upon Hemset, hidden in the captains quarter's for safety, the pirate captain called Red beard Roy, gave a black-toothed grin.

"I've always wanted a little cabin boy"

Last edited by Artifex; 06-18-2014 at 04:47 PM..

Artifex
less than three

Old 06-18-2014, 04:39 PM

The pirates lived up to their reputation, a ship full of brutish thugs that only ever obeyed one man, Red Beard Roy. Red Beard Roy did not have naturally red hair but rather a nearly black head of hair aside from his dark red beard, stained permanently by the blood of his enemies-or so the rumor went. Hemset witnessed on occasion the man up keeping the look with some sort of dye. It was certainly an effective tactic for striking fear far and wide for his name was well known, even on land.

At any rate, Hemset didn't know what to expect as he dragged on board the pirate ship known as the Bloody Haul. The first thing he witnessed was the sight of the other ship, going up in flames before sinking into the waters below. They did not tie him up or lock him in the brig but rather let the boy about the ship as he pleased, after all where could he possibly go? And besides, it was more fun to poke at him in passing and put him to work than to have the boy wallowing in the pit of the ship.

No one bothered to learn his name, "boy" was about as far as they went and he learned to respond to that-because if he ignored it then there would be hell to pay. Some were worse than others and more often than not Hemset would find himself being passed around like a rag doll. "Fetch me this, boy", "come here, boy". "you serve me now, boy" it was one thing after another.

He stopped speaking, not that anyone noticed, in fact they almost seemed to prefer it that way. They liked to play games, usually at his expense; what bled more, a deep or shallow cut? How long could he hold onto the ratline, upside down? How much spoiled food could he eat before throwing up? Anything they could place a bet on to pass the time. It was a miracle he didn't catch infection and die, a miracle named Garath the cook.

Garath too had once belong on a ship that had been set upon by these pirates, however he was able to find himself a safe place as their cook. "Everyone, even pirates love a good cook," as he used to say, "and it's as good a place as any". Because of this they treated him with respect and he even started getting paid. They marked him as one of their own and he had been sailing with them by choice ever since.

With Hemset however, the abuse the others put him through didn't sit well with Garath. He did what he could for boy; calling him away to work when the others insisted he stay, tending to his injuries and letting Hemset sleep in the kitchen with him. One of the crew broke Hemset's arm and Garath managed to set it in place but it never really healed properly after that.

The Captain was the worst of the lot. While he didn't seem to bother with Hemset often, those few times that he called on the boy struck fear in his heart. On occasion Red Beard Roy would take his meal in his cabin and ask that Hemset deliver it. Garath couldn't deny a request straight from the captain and while Hemset never told of what he did, the boy was rarely seen again until morning.

Last edited by Artifex; 06-18-2014 at 04:49 PM..

Artifex
less than three

Old 06-20-2014, 01:26 PM

Land... was that land? Hemset peered over the railing at the horizon, not too sure if he could trust his own eyes.
"LAND HO!" the words chimed from up above in the crow's nest and Hemset stared harder. He wasn't hallucinating, it really was there. For the first time in a month a flutter of hope rose in his chest, all he had to do was wait until they were a little bit closer and then maybe he could dive off? Swim the rest of the way before anyone could stop him.

He felt a hand grip his arm and the boy instantly tried to flinch away but the grip was tight. Slowly looking up, Hemset met the eyes of the captain and he froze in place. "You really think you can make it that far?" inquired Red Beard Roy, nodding towards the horizon, "If the sharks didn't gobble you up, something else would. There are things in the waters around here that would make a morsel of you in a second." he shoved Hemset against the railing, "go on, take a look."

Slowly Hemset peered over the railing again, this time looking straight down to the unusually dark water below. At first he didn't see anything out of the ordinary but then, as he focused beneath the waves, something caught his eye. There was no light reflecting off the dark surface but rather thousands of metallic coloured fish swarming the surface. Their razor sharp teeth tore one another apart, having no regard for their own kind other than food. Not far away a seagull strayed too close to the water and one of the fish, half the size of Hemset himself, leapt from the waves and dragged it into the black waters below.

The look of horror on the boy's face brought laughter to the captain's lips as he threw Hemset back onto the deck of the ship. "Keep him in the brig 'til we head back out" Roy ordered, looking down at Hemset with a grin, "Yer good for moral boy, wouldn't want you falling over board."

Artifex
less than three

Old 06-23-2014, 03:25 PM

Months dragged by and Hemset had begun to wish he had fallen overboard. At least those creatures would have made quick work of him in comparison to the slow death these pirates seemed intent to give him.

More than once the waves called temptingly to take him away into death, each time they called stronger than before until one day he closed his eyes and stepped up on the railing. ~If there is a god, let this be the end~ he prayed to the world with all his broken heart.

"Ship HO!" yelled the lookout from above and Hemset startled but kept his balance and looked up where a ship could be seen sailing in their direction. Hemset heard the others speak, it was from the Rashmaal navy, they wouldn't stand a chance in a fair fight so they had to out run it. He had seen them outrun many ships when the need called, Hemset doubted this one would be different, especially since they only had a few hours until the cover of night... and yet it provided another opportunity for him.

"Hey, Boy!" The captain snapped at him, he had been noticed which made this moment all the more urgent to decide in. Hemset looked at the ship and then the vast amount of water between them. He wasn't a strong swimmer, and it could take hours to reach them but if he could before nightfall... if he could just make it that far.

"Captain called you boy" a crew member growled, coming over just as Hemset was about to jump. He grabbed the boy's arm firmly and turned him around to face him, "Where do you think yer going?"

"Away from your ugly mug" Hemset retorted, still standing on the railing he lifted a foot and booted the man right in the face. His grip slipped and Hemset fell backwards, crashing into the salty water below. He only hoped they were far enough away from the black water and it's dangers. Either way however, this was going to end.