The Aura Knight
Aura

Old 10-18-2012, 07:13 PM

If you have something you want to randomly post or talk about, essays you've written, ideas and things that feel a little too "troll style." Feels almost irrelevant or like most people wouldn't care to read that, post it all here. And then people like me, who love to read people's random thoughts, ideas and opinions about things like how long it would take to count every grain of sand on your favourite beach, a fun vacation you had, something that frustrates you in general and other random sillyness will come to read it!

The mods may not care for a thread like this because it seems so off topic, but I find it is difficult to always find a forum that a certain subject fits into, and then it is even more frustrating when your thread gets moved or isn't read or replied to at all. If you feel that way then post here to your heart's content. Mods may move your thread if it fits another subforum better, but then if it wouldn't really fit into any of the categories then we can all read the random fun here! Have fun posting!

---------- Post added 10-18-2012 at 03:16 PM ----------

I had to write this for my Technical Writing....it was a fun class and I felt pretty super after this one essay. It is pretty random and as you can see off topic enough that it wouldn't just fit into general discussion well. :P

Abstract
The purpose of this study is to determine if coordinating the traffic signals is a feasible way to solve the problem of traffic congestion on the roadways of Pinellas County. The best way to accomplish traffic signal coordination is through signal timing. Timing and maintaining all of the signals that can be timed throughout the county will cost from about $562,500 to $607,500 a year. However, the savings far outweigh the cost. In some similar projects the annual savings have been as high as $2.5 million for the timing of only 25 traffic signals. Pinellas County has the potential to save over a hundred times that amount, since there are approximately 375 signals to be timed.
Introduction
Pinellas County is a rapidly growing center of commerce within an exceptionally strong infrastructure containing international airports, major seaports, and interstate highways. (Pinellas County Economic Development) But on the everyday, interconnecting level, Pinellas County’s primary transportation arteries are its roadways. These roadways all too often become heavily congested with traffic, especially during the daily “rush hours.” Focal points of traffic congestion are usually traffic signals; where traffic traveling in different directions merges or crosses. (Giles) Therefore, coordinating these traffic signals could improve the efficiency of Pinellas County’s whole infrastructure. The purpose of this report is to determine if, through implementing coordinated traffic signals on major roadways, Pinellas County residents could experience significantly decreased travel times, fuel consumption, greenhouse gas emissions, and motor vehicle crashes, and if these improvements would be substantial enough to offset the cost of this project. Through my primary research method-web searches-I found reliable, credible, and current sources from which I gathered the necessary information. This report details the research performed, a summary of information gathered, and the conclusion reached.
Research performed
I researched this topic from an economic standpoint: calculating the cost of investing in the project against the profit gained through fuel conservation and faster travel times. I also researched from a safety standpoint: considering the decrease in motor vehicle crashes and the increase in emergency vehicle response times. My requirements for a credible source are:
• Authority: the author/sponsor must have sufficient skills, qualifications, experience, and reputation.
• Objectivity: the sources must be impartial; I avoided personal and advocacy websites.
• Currency: the source must be recent and must not have been replaced by new information since its publishing.
• Accuracy: the source must appear accurate in its findings, and be backed by credible research and statistics.
Keeping these requirements in mind, I performed a web search for related websites, documents, and articles and found a number of credible sources such as government sites and manuals devoted specifically to traffic signal coordination.
Summary of Information Gathered
The Signal Timing Process
One of the first things that I learned in my research is that the best, most efficient way to accomplish traffic signal coordination is through a process known as signal timing. The signal timing process usually follows a well-established series of steps. Those steps are listed and described in their sequential order in the table below.

Figure 1: Steps of the Signal Timing Process
Step Description
1. Project Scoping Develop detailed scope of work.
2. Data Collection Collect information through timed runs, etc.
3. Model Development/Optimization Develop signal timing model, usually with a specialized software tool designed for signal timing.
4. Implementation and Fine Tuning Program signal controller with new timing plan.
5. Evaluation of Timing Observe signal and readjust/fine-tune as necessary.
6. Performance Measurement Collect information again and compare with information collected before timing of signal.
7. Policy Confirmation/Evaluation Compare signal operation to the standards defined for the project.
8. Assessment/Reporting Document adjustments and results.

Cost of Project
Pinellas County has approximately 375 signals that can be timed. (Pinellas County Traffic Managment) The cost of an average signal installation without timing or coordination is $75,000. (McCourt) Based on data from six separate studies, the cost range for timing signals ranges from around $2,500 to $3,100 per signal. (Research and Innovative Technology Administration) This cost includes hardware and labor. The signal controller hardware needs upgraded at least every 10 years, at a cost of approximately $10,000. Signal timing systems should be updated at least every five years. (National Transportation Operations Coalition )
Based on this data, the cost per signal totals $1500 to $1620 a year. This amount is not much more than the cost of the electricity required to run a signal, which averages $1400 a year. (Arizona Department of Transportation) The approximate overall cost of this project will range from $562,500 to $607,500 a year.
Funding Available for Project
Funding is available for signal timing projects through a variety of sources. These are: federal funding, state-local arrangements, public-private partnerships, and direct agency funding. Direct agency funding is the most commonly used type. A few examples of this type of funding are tolls and taxes. If the project is funded by taxes in the community which receives the benefits, it becomes their own investment. However, federal funding in the form of grants may be more appealing to both the taxpayers and the County. For federal funds, the need for the project must be established with either the State department of transportation or the local metropolitan planning organization. (Kittelson & Associates, Inc.)
Benefits
Signal timing has many benefits. This list includes most of them.
• Signal timing is a cost effective method to improve traffic operation.
• Coordinated traffic flow reduces stops and delays, which reduces the time car’s engines are running, which in turn can benefit the environment by reducing emissions and fuel consumption.
• Emergency vehicles can save time by not having to navigate through as much stopped traffic at red lights. Time, in their case, can literally be the difference between life and death.
• The number of collisions can be reduced through smoother traffic flow and fewer stops.
• Motorist frustration caused by excessive delays can be reduced by adjusting timing to reduce stops and provide coordinated flow through groups of signals, thereby making roads safer.
• Efficient signal timing minimizes diversion of traffic to local and residential neighborhoods, improving safety and traffic conditions in those areas.
• By coordinating signals in relation to each other, groups of vehicles can travel through a series of signals with minimal or no stopping.
• The delay time on the approach to an intersection can be reduced by balancing the time the light is green at that intersection.
• The need for costly roadway construction projects can be postponed or eliminated by providing improved flow using existing resources in a more cost efficient manner.
• Improved traffic flow results in reduced wear and tear on the pavement, minimizing maintenance required.
• Signals can be retimed during a construction project when a lane closure or traffic detour causes a significant change in demand or capacity for an extended period of time. This will ensure that traffic flow is optimized during that period.
(Kittelson & Associates, Inc.)
The savings generated by traffic signal timings can vary, since they are based on several variable factors. These include the current price of fuel and number of cars using traffic signal. The savings can be hard to measure also, because some of the factors they are based on are intangible, such as the time that people save daily. However, some of the intangible benefits can be partially measured through ways such as test driving a route before and after timing the traffic signals.
In the city of Los Angeles, an intelligent transportation system installed at 375 intersections-the exact number projected for Pinellas County’s intelligent transportation system-resulted in the reduction of travel times by 12.7 percent, average stops by 31 percent and average delay by 21.4 percent, overall travel speeds increased by 16 percent. (Tinkdale-Oliver & Associates, Inc.) Similar results have been achieved at other locations both in the US and in Canada.

Conclusion
Based on the evidence cited in this report, I believe that Pinellas County should invest in coordinating the traffic signals on all of its major roads. The few opposing reasons are primarily the cost and work involved in implementing the plan, but these are a part of any task that is undertaken to better the community. In this situation, the potential benefits far outweigh the cost of the project. One of the final, most convincing arguments in favor of the project is that it will make the roads safer. In view of the decrease in crashes and emergency vehicle response times that could undoubtedly occur, this project would be feasible even if it had to be implemented at a cost instead of a profit; the protection of life is always a worthy investment of resources. 

The Aura Knight
Aura

Old 10-19-2012, 12:37 AM

It can be anything guys.... :( *le sigh*

Codette
The One and Only

Penpal

Old 10-19-2012, 04:48 AM

There are plenty of hangouts in the nations forum that's great for topicless chatter, for those that like them. You can either jump into one of those or make your own ^.^

jellysundae
bork and means

Assistant Administrator

Old 10-19-2012, 01:48 PM

I think the issue here is that your post is very TL;DR, and about something that's a bit too dry, so no-one really wants to read it. I know I skimmed through it and my eyes glazed over.

The thing with the GD is that it's not anywhere near as rigid as a lot of people seem to think it is. The rule about threads needing a topic can easily be turned on its head and read in the opposite way. That simply being no spam.

The topic doesn't have to be something deep and meaningful. Also conversations can roam all over the place. They don't have to stick to the original topic. Just...no spam. that's all :)

It is frustrating if no-one responds to a thread you've made. I know, I've been in that boat myself on many an occasion. But that's just the way that things are sometimes, something that interested you might not interest anyone else. But don't be discouraged, there's lots of people out there looking for something to chat about

The Aura Knight
Aura

Old 11-05-2012, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jellysundae View Post
I think the issue here is that your post is very TL;DR, and about something that's a bit too dry, so no-one really wants to read it. I know I skimmed through it and my eyes glazed over.

The thing with the GD is that it's not anywhere near as rigid as a lot of people seem to think it is. The rule about threads needing a topic can easily be turned on its head and read in the opposite way. That simply being no spam.

The topic doesn't have to be something deep and meaningful. Also conversations can roam all over the place. They don't have to stick to the original topic. Just...no spam. that's all :)

It is frustrating if no-one responds to a thread you've made. I know, I've been in that boat myself on many an occasion. But that's just the way that things are sometimes, something that interested you might not interest anyone else. But don't be discouraged, there's lots of people out there looking for something to chat about

Thanks. I understood that. It is hard. I'm trying so hard to figure out what to post and write and talk about. I am shy online and much more outgoing in real life...funny huh. I'm a backwards person. :P

I know there are places that you can post this sort of thing but I wanted to start my own thread...I don't think that it has anything to do with the nations so I wrote it here...makes more sense to me, it IS just general discussion, it has nothing to do with anything. :/

But yeah I know the thread will be boring if MY little blurb at the top is all that's here, but if a whole lot of people started doing it you can stumble across really interesting or informative things. Even just maybe a little joke someone learned or something somebody just heard in the news. It can get really random and silly and fun that way, if nobody participates it WILL die and will be boring...there's nothing I can do if no one is willing to get the ball rolling though.

Another thing, some things that are boring to some people can be fascinating to a small few, but still interesting to those few. ALWAYS worth a try, that's my motto.

joansmile
(-.-)zzZ

Old 11-20-2012, 02:49 AM

random blurbs huh?
nice thread.....
can we shout what ever we want here? tell our troubles? what we think of? for as long as it's in the rules and regulations of mene?
I think I like this thread......................

Kole_Locke
(^._.^)ノ

Old 11-20-2012, 03:06 AM

I will comment in your blurb about what you wrote.

Where I live right now where you have one light at one intersection which is a minor place next to a shopping mall and then beyond lies route 1 which is a major road north and south bound you have to cross if you are heading north. I noticed that the lights are not coordinated with the main one that regulates route one and the people coming off the intersection from the shopping mall. The main light on route one for crossing will be green just as the one before you get to that intersection will turn red thus creating when it's busy a semi gridlock! A few accidents have actually occurred although they were only minor fender benders-- but still they take up space in the road as they got to wait for the police to arrive and investigate to make the report then finally move the cars out out of the way because it's so annoying! Some people are courteous enough to move their cars off the road when minor incidents happen. You also get the scenario where you get people racing through to beat the red light through the yellow light which has the potential to be disasterous.

Anyways... there's my thoughts. lol