~LONGCAT~
is Long

Send a message via AIM to ~LONGCAT~

Old 07-27-2014, 06:02 PM

Brit or American. I've been bingeing watching this on my days off. I have no interest in cars, but the show is really entertaining.

TALK WITH ME ABOUT ANTICS! Because this is a thing now.

Last edited by ~LONGCAT~; 07-27-2014 at 06:04 PM..

The Wandering Poet
Captain Oblivious

Penpal

Old 07-28-2014, 10:10 PM

I also have no interest in cars... but these guys are gold
One time had a family gathering and someone put on top gear... to put it plainly... nothing else happened that day...

APBCole
BUGS CAUSING ME UNABLE TO POST

Old 07-29-2014, 02:01 AM

UK is my favorite. Saw it first. US is really shallow. I managed to get through like 1 season of US before getting tired of it. US Top Gear is obviously rigged compared to UK where it's harder to tell.

Also, I love Jeremy. His sarcasm is my favorite.

The Wandering Poet
Captain Oblivious

Penpal

Old 07-29-2014, 02:02 AM

Oh yeah american topgear... yeah I lost interest in a few minutes..
UK topgear was gold

Earth_Dragon_Thoth
*^_^*

Old 08-19-2014, 11:26 PM

The real Top Gear (UK obviously) is my favorite. It's amazing, I don't know anything about cars but they make it fun and so interesting! They know how to keep an audience excited whilst the American top gear is just... *yawn* At least to me, they couldn't keep me interested and I was flicking through stations within 30 seconds to find something else to watch.

The Wandering Poet
Captain Oblivious

Penpal

Old 08-19-2014, 11:46 PM

And the UK top gear answers questions no other person would. like if your car can survive a 40 story drop.

Alexander J Luthor
\ (•◡•) /

Old 08-25-2014, 06:52 AM

I have never been so disappointed in America as I was when I watched this show. They were chased out of the South with GUNS for having "Hillary for President" and "Nascar sucks" written on their cars.

The Wandering Poet
Captain Oblivious

Penpal

Old 08-25-2014, 07:01 PM

I'm sure they were probably chased out for being obnoxious and other various reasons too

Cardinal Biggles
Patron Saint of Pigeons🌙

Send a message via Yahoo to Cardinal Biggles

Old 08-25-2014, 10:03 PM

^This. I enjoy the concept of the things they get up to, but the show has some problems. Clarkson has said far too many unacceptable things on the show, and gets smacked with warning after warning. The BBC only seems to be doing triage with it, never taking serious action, even after threatening Clarkson with removal.

The Wandering Poet
Captain Oblivious

Penpal

Old 08-26-2014, 12:53 AM

He's probably "popular" with the kids...

Sure the guys in the UK are obnoxious... but half the time they're in the middle of nowhere so they CAN be. And it's typically directed at each other

APBCole

Old 08-26-2014, 02:53 AM

They do have serious content from time to time. Clarkson can be serious and so can the others.

But I like the humorous hijinks and banter. They're friends after all and have to go through these potentially mundane challenges at times or stressful challenges. It's great though because while they also are juggling the serious nature of what they're doing with jokes. It makes it fun to watch. I like Clarkson not because i'm childish or anything but because he actually has a no limits mouth and says whatever he wants because he has opinions. I understand he may not say favorable things to people but the dude at least is confident in what he says even if he disagree. He does happen to know cars so I wouldn't disagree with his opinion since I am not an expert like he is.

The US version is really watered down. Tanner Foust is the one i'd consider to be the obnoxious one for the US version because he's a rally cross driver/stunt driver. The other two are tryhards when it comes to being funny. I could really only handle the first season of US because it's Top Gear UK but more rigged and also ripping off alot of segments from the UK series so it's not even being original ala typical USA. It's an alright show but it is forgettable. I literally don't remember anything from Top Gear US other than a few minor things that account to nothing. In a show where Tanner Foust does everything because of his image and product placement galore, it turns me off. It should basically just be the Tanner Foust show and not a version of Top Gear.

Cardinal Biggles
Patron Saint of Pigeons🌙

Old 08-26-2014, 03:19 AM

I hear you about having opinions and sharing them, but outright racism and misogyny isn't a good look.

The Wandering Poet
Captain Oblivious

Penpal

Old 08-26-2014, 03:22 AM

I'm only ever amused by him because of the facial expressions he makes.

APBCole

Old 08-26-2014, 04:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardinal Biggles View Post
I hear you about having opinions and sharing them, but outright racism and misogyny isn't a good look.

So so racist. Damn that, Clarkson!

And misogyny? Ha.

It's an car show. It's main demographic is males. Why is that surprising?

The Wandering Poet
Captain Oblivious

Penpal

Old 08-26-2014, 05:34 AM

The word itself is racist, not because he said it to be honest. Only certain races are allowed to use it. He just happened to not be it.

Cardinal Biggles
Patron Saint of Pigeons🌙

Old 08-27-2014, 12:46 AM

Yes, that is racist. And this?

Equally indefensible.
Demographics have nothing to do with it. Just because ____ isn't around doesn't mean you should say demeaning things about ____. It's basic human decency.
I think you are stereotyping as well. There are plenty of women who do like cars. On top of that, Top Gear is a hugely popular show, it's not solely a hobbyist's program.

Alexander J Luthor
\ (•◡•) /

Old 08-27-2014, 07:13 PM

All this and their crassness worries me (the American decorated bike in Vietnam) but in the episode I'm speaking of they wrote that stuff to be inflammatory, but all they did was drive into a gas station and some chick walks up furious and says she's gonna get her boys to "kill them." And they knew it was stupid. They only fueled because they had to and were going as fast as possible. Not too far down the road the police stopped them and told them they need to get out of the state and scrub that stuff off.

I was not surprised when the US essentially kicked them out because they were abusing their educational visa and their show was purely an entertainment thing.

The Wandering Poet
Captain Oblivious

Penpal

Old 08-27-2014, 07:24 PM

Well it's not entirely non-educational. Like that truck that survived all that damage and still ran.

APBCole

Old 08-29-2014, 01:29 AM

You mean the Toyota episode? The thing that still continues to hang out the hanger and makes an appearance all the time?

Yeah, that is one of the educational parts. Not to mention showing new car prototype models or just new cars in general by giving overviews. There's also challenges to see how cars do in a set category and purpose. That mixed in with whatever else they do.

I also loved the Toyota episode that you brought up. Was so good. It literally survived through it all.

The Wandering Poet
Captain Oblivious

Penpal

Old 08-29-2014, 04:58 AM

Yeah, and they had fun doing it

allycat
daddy's kitten

Old 01-23-2015, 12:09 AM

I do love cars but thats not the reason I watch them. They're soo funny and ridiculous I love it