xlightwingx
\ (•◡•) /

Old 10-19-2008, 07:00 PM

By popular I don't necessarily mean dA pageviews, I just mean rather high in demand for online commissions and whatnot ^^

Anyone ever find that sometimes they seem rather arrogant, sometimes ><? (I mean, you could argue that they have a right to be arrogant, since they're so good, but it just bothers me occasionally.) And there are also popular artists that aren't arrogant at all, and seem to have friends and problems like the rest of us ^^

for example, someone im talking about would say: "My opinion on this piece of art/genre of art/other is this: [insert very strong and rather biased opinion here]" , except they state it like it's a fact >_>

So, any opinions?

Last edited by xlightwingx; 10-21-2008 at 03:10 PM..

ChibiTotoro222
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Old 10-20-2008, 04:58 AM

I'm sure there are, but some not-so-popular artists can be equally as arrogant. Their arrogance just goes unnoticed because they're...well...not as popular. xD
I suppose it'd kind of be like celebrities? Some of them are super nice and down to earth, but there's always going to be some who let the fame get to their head. 0:

Going off on a tangent about DA pageviews~ : D
There's also those people who *think* they're so excellent at art because they have so many pageviews even though their views aren't from their art skills.
There was this guy who had this generic MS Paint art with like...the spray paint clouds and all. Even though his art was probs a 2nd grade level, he thought he was terrific at art because he had like...20,000 pageviews. But he got them by:
-Watching a million people and telling them to watch him back.
-Favoriting and unfavoriting and favoriting again a bunch of pictures just so he'd show up in the message centre
-Deleting all his pictures and resubmitting them all regularly. =___=
It made my soul cry. ;___; <//3

Tal Blaiser
⊙ω⊙

Old 10-20-2008, 08:15 AM

Most artist I've met are arrogant, maybe I am arrogant as well :sweat: having a high pageviews on DA or on your personal website can be rewarding, cause more people are interested with you or your artworks, plus it boost your self-esteem[vanity] also, it doesn't matter in real life, I know someone who has less pageviews on DA but had sold more artworks than I have IRL... what good is popularity or high DA pageviews if you can't even sell your artworks? I have seen someone who is complaining on his journals that no one is buying his prints and his DA pageviews are almost half a million.

Personally, I don't really mind if an artist is arrogant, they are still a human being like me, full of flaws, plus they have feelings and can get hurt sometimes.

Anna_Crackers
*^_^*

Old 10-20-2008, 04:45 PM

I think most of the popular artists on avatar forums such as these, aren't very good at all. They tend to keep to a style that's popular so that they can get more attention. (Anime, Obviously) Many people these days don't actually back artists who are trying something new, because they'd rather have sparkles on their characters than experimental art.

Harkem
ʘ‿ʘ

Old 10-20-2008, 11:24 PM

mmm sparkleees XD!!! ooh I don't use deviantart anymore because of that @_@; i actually had a friend who was all..determined to join the popular..group...and he was like so excited when one of the popular artist talked to him and such and suddenly he joined their heeyy im popular group XD;;;;;;;;;;; it was scary seeing your own friend get dragged into the popularity saga XD; I still remember during my first year in school, a classmate of mine was like..hey you have more pageviews ( on deviantart ) than me! thats unfair! XD;; i was totally WTF. Thats a real popularity seeker right there.

Ive read some funny comments like someone commenting an artist that he only does mainstream art to attract ppl to his art. Manz...I think the artist didn't really care if ppl liked his art or not ( i know him personally ) he has fun doing his art and thats all that matters =)

Experimental or not, its just as important to have fun doing what you do =) if you're forcing yourself to do sparkles just to gain popularity then thats twisted. But if you're doing sparkles because you like it ^_^ then why not!

I actually draw anime for this forum cos i can't do it for work and i like drawing anime cos its an artform that made me gain interest in the industry XD! @_@;; does that make me arrogant?

xlightwingx
\ (•◡•) /

Old 10-21-2008, 03:09 PM

@Harkem: no, I don't think it makes you arrogant 0.o

I think I mean more along the lines of artists that talk in really patronizing tones...

like: "My opinion on this piece of art/genre of art/other is this: [insert very strong and rather biased opinion here]" , except they state it like it's a fact >_>

Tal Blaiser
⊙ω⊙

Old 10-21-2008, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xlightwingx View Post
I think I mean more along the lines of artists that talk in really patronizing tones...

like: "My opinion on this piece of art/genre of art/other is this: [insert very strong and rather biased opinion here]" , except they state it like it's a fact >_>
Oh, that kind of attitude... well you cannot state facts in art, even a simple opinion, you can be labeled as bigots, art is in the "Eyes of the beholder" but those who are popular can and get away with being impartial, they have lots of fans who will listen to them. Popularity has its own use sometimes, and many abuse those privileges.

And nope!, I am not the kind who compares and give opinions on others artwork, Heee I am more of an art appreciator than a critic :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anna_Crackers View Post
I think most of the popular artists on avatar forums such as these, aren't very good at all. They tend to keep to a style that's popular so that they can get more attention. (Anime, Obviously) Many people these days don't actually back artists who are trying something new, because they'd rather have sparkles on their characters than experimental art.
There are many reasons why many don't support experimental art, my own reasons, I hate artworks no matter how good it looks, if it was done with menstrual blood, human urine and excrement... what are they going to experiment next? secondly, any artwork that looks like it was done by a child, experimenting in style?! but any kids on the street can do better... now I am not saying I am against any of those I have mentioned, but I can't find any reason to support artworks that are smelly/unsanitary or child level in style Lolz!

Artist who experiment are not always successful, cause originality is hard to find this days, their artwork always fall under the category/genre of realism, cubism, abstract, impressionism, mangaka or worst "an artwork of a 4 year old child".

Also, there are hundreds maybe thousands of anime artist out there[especially DA] who are not getting any attention at all, cause anime =/= success and popularity. though most popular DA artist are Anime in style and genre. So I don't think moving to anime/ or popular genre will give the artist any attention at all.

xlightwingx
\ (•◡•) /

Old 10-21-2008, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tal Blaiser View Post
smelly/unsanitary or child level in style Lolz!
X'D that just cracked me up.
Smelly and unsanitary art XD?

Hopefully, experimental doesn't get that out of hand =w='

Tal Blaiser
⊙ω⊙

Old 10-21-2008, 06:56 PM

Heee heee, it does. I thought I would only see it online but not in real life, guess I was wrong, there are those who actually did it and I did freaked out when I touch it with my bare hands.

There are experimental artist who would go to the extreme to get the attention of the mass, though they end up being "infamous" for their notorious and radical ideas, though some are successful like the "breast painting" where women paint using their breast, I've seen many who approved and finds it fascinating, but personally I am not a big fan of it, it's just an ordinary painting to me, only the technique used in the process is odd :)

Quest for something new and original can always get out of hand, so artist will have to try and try again until they stumbled on the ticket that will make them famous, as for me, I am happy to be part of the million, though no originality, I am free from pressure and frustration Yahooo!!! :)

Anna_Crackers
*^_^*

Old 10-21-2008, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tal Blaiser View Post

There are many reasons why many don't support experimental art, my own reasons, I hate artworks no matter how good it looks, if it was done with menstrual blood, human urine and excrement... what are they going to experiment next? secondly, any artwork that looks like it was done by a child, experimenting in style?! but any kids on the street can do better... now I am not saying I am against any of those I have mentioned, but I can't find any reason to support artworks that are smelly/unsanitary or child level in style Lolz!

Artist who experiment are not always successful, cause originality is hard to find this days, their artwork always fall under the category/genre of realism, cubism, abstract, impressionism, mangaka or worst "an artwork of a 4 year old child".

Also, there are hundreds maybe thousands of anime artist out there[especially DA] who are not getting any attention at all, cause anime =/= success and popularity. though most popular DA artist are Anime in style and genre. So I don't think moving to anime/ or popular genre will give the artist any attention at all.
Maybe i shouldn't have said experimental art exactly. Many people don't explore the medium they use, and understand why they are using it. Lots of artists have this, tight painting style, and stay within their comfort zone.
I don't see many people doing art these days that will help them improve as an artist. It seems to be all about the details, the eyes, the lighting on the hair, but structure, flow, rythym, and composition are usually ignored. Sure, there are artists that have a natural inclination toward these thing, but you can tell they focus on the pretty parts more an less on the entire composition.
Artists who tend to have a "style" they call their own, tend to have a template for people, change maybe the height, eyes, and hair color. I keep seeing designs used over and over again, especially with very popular anime artists on deviantart and gaia. (of course, there are exceptions to this, but generally...)
I think the digital medium need to be explored more, there needs be be more focus on the construction of the drawing, and how to make the drawing unique in how you make it as well as the picture itself.

yet all I have seen is, again, template characters. No sense of the body forms, symbolic thinking of features. i think it's just all rubbish.

Tal Blaiser
⊙ω⊙

Old 10-22-2008, 01:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anna_Crackers View Post
Maybe i shouldn't have said experimental art exactly. Many people don't explore the medium they use, and understand why they are using it. Lots of artists have this, tight painting style, and stay within their comfort zone.
I don't see many people doing art these days that will help them improve as an artist. It seems to be all about the details, the eyes, the lighting on the hair, but structure, flow, rythym, and composition are usually ignored. Sure, there are artists that have a natural inclination toward these thing, but you can tell they focus on the pretty parts more an less on the entire composition.
Artists who tend to have a "style" they call their own, tend to have a template for people, change maybe the height, eyes, and hair color. I keep seeing designs used over and over again, especially with very popular anime artists on deviantart and gaia. (of course, there are exceptions to this, but generally...)
I think the digital medium need to be explored more, there needs be be more focus on the construction of the drawing, and how to make the drawing unique in how you make it as well as the picture itself.

yet all I have seen is, again, template characters. No sense of the body forms, symbolic thinking of features. i think it's just all rubbish.
I get your point. You are looking for serious form of art with compositions? well you just need to look at the right place http://www.conceptart.org/ and most of the artist you've met online must be amateurs[Like me] I am only working with photoshop for almost 2 years now, and the style I have chosen to develop is something quite rigid[vector/Pentool] cause if I will work with digital, I would not certainly try to mimick or copy the styles of traditional medium... cause if that is the case I will just stick with traditional art, I am a purist pig.

"Rome was not built within a day" we are not that good yet, we can't make the picture looks good as a whole... but we try our best, so we focused on certain details and leave the rest almost blank, to make our work worth looking at. so don't expect something big + there is a fact that not all can pay for art lessons, so they just depend on their talent, after all art is just a hobby.
EDIT:also when it comes to ungodly proportion[Chibies, deformity, grotesque and lack of anatomical structure] well let's just say we love to play around and experiment with proportion... it's fun :) though there are time an artist must be serious, but hobbyist illustrate for fun and leisure.

When you said "over and over again" you are referring to doll base are you? I've seen those doll base and I also use it for gifts and exchange for virtual money http://the-dynamic-duo-t.deviantart....te-00-61100458 Why will I spend time and energy if all I will receive are fake cash? not even worth for paying rent, water and electricity bills... I will reserve my strength for real commissions.

Digital medium need to be explored more? they do, they do, digital are mainly used for animation and gaming, also several artist everywhere work with still digital illustrations. digital advance along with technology, if there is no new release of art program, nothing new to experiment.

You have a high taste and standard for art,which is good... but not all artist can live up to your expectation.

So sorry to the OP this is off-topic :sweat:

Last edited by Tal Blaiser; 10-22-2008 at 01:50 AM..

Harkem
ʘ‿ʘ

Old 10-22-2008, 02:38 AM

not everyone is on a quest to be a professional =) most just want to draw for fun~!

Tal Blaiser
⊙ω⊙

Old 10-22-2008, 03:09 AM

I agree 100% I always believe that art is meant for happiness and leisure... but I guess not everyone sees it that way, many artist are getting frustrated with their works + pressure from their audience can drive them mad.

Anna_Crackers
*^_^*

Old 10-23-2008, 08:27 PM

Nah, I didn't mean pixel art, I meant having a "style" meaning you draw the same looking person over and over again with different eye color, hair styles and clothes.
But, I am a concept art regular, and I'm working to become a professional. So, I automatically have a bias when it comes to art. I outwardly and bluntly state my opinions most of the time, especially when it comes to critiques.
If you're a popular artist, I expect that you have some type of desire to get better that your craft. I think that many popular artists become "static" and stay within a comfort zone where they cannot get better, just because the stlye or characters they are depicting are popular.

So I just am guessing people who work hard on their art want to improve, and base my critiques off of that. I don't know if you can call that "high standards".

But again, I have a bias. I think lots of popular artists need to work out of the box more often, but again, there are exceptions.

Harkem
ʘ‿ʘ

Old 10-24-2008, 12:59 AM

=D all the best in your endeavours to be come a professional =/ its tough! I'm working on it too!

haha i second tal XD i think im an art appreciator more than a critic. Also not many ppl accept critiques well =/ Those are probably the ones who are comfortable with where they are now and what they do~ To each his own =)

Huffie
Sa Tonkiki, sa Tonkinoise~

Old 11-23-2008, 04:12 PM

I know what you mean about the arrogancy involving critique, etc. D:
On devART in particular, you also see a lot of popular artists who are really whiny, like, complaining about all their fans, even calling them names. D: That really annoys me, it's like they don't appreciate what they have. U__U I know some fans can get annoying, but on the whole, it's support for your work, isn't it?

Mariku
(-.-)zzZ

Old 11-25-2008, 05:58 AM

Most of the popular artists I watch/talk to on DA are really kind individuals. Most of them are college students and often seem arrogant due to their busy schedules. There are a few that are ignorant, but popularity doesn't automatically make an artist arrogant or snobbish. Some pf them draw for fun/leisure. Some draw for a little extra cash. The common thing I read when they post their journals is that they appreciate the comments and pageviews, and more often than not, ask for forgiveness for not being able to reply to the messages (although they're read).

Sanctuary
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Old 11-28-2008, 04:43 AM

It's hard not to seek attention.
I've always been very quiet and I never realized that the way I draw shows how needy I am. I need to be praised, to feel accomplished. I'm not arrogant, because I know I'm not good. I just want people to think I am.

I can understand that people get arrogant because they want to think that they are better than other people. It's natural. It's also sad. I tend to be either arrogant or without any sort of confidencem which is what people with low self-esteem generally do. I want to be brilliant, but I'm only fairly intelligent. And even though I know this, I can't seem to change it.

I'm not arrogant about m art however. Which is good, because I've got nothing to be arrogant about.

leasfy
(。・ω・&...
Send a message via MSN to leasfy

Old 11-28-2008, 08:35 AM

I second harkem's oopinion! if an artist doin art just to gain popularity then I reckon the artist has no passion for art. Just wantin to be in the spotlight :(

xlightwingx
\ (•◡•) /

Old 11-28-2008, 06:19 PM

@Mariku: I'm not saying that all popular artists are arrogant =P That'd be a stupid stereotype
Just talking about those that are. They annoy me ><!

plxx

Old 12-03-2008, 04:28 AM

Well i think that artists struggle with self confidence a lot. and i mean a lot a lot, at least i do.
it is very hard to keep up a reputation as an artist especially when you have a lot of attention!! and while that is something that you want it can also cause a lot of stress.
its very difficult struggle with the ego as an artist i find, because if you arent the best then you cannot succeed in it, thats just the way the real world works. you must continue to be the best or someone better than you will replace you.
so i imagine being in a popular position where you are asked to do a lot of work and you make a lot of money, would definitely feed the ego and make you feel really confident in your own opinions because you are among an elite group of non-starving artists, hehe.
.. i think that because of a sudden ego change where, as undiscovered or heavily criticized, you can be discouraged and depressed, to where suddenly you are in a spotlight, is hard to handle in a lot of cases. and it is the same for a lot of different kinds of people, like a poor family that suddenly becomes rich. it is difficult to adapt from a low to a high and sometimes people can come off as rude because they have difficulty being modest with their newly gained esteem.

that said, people who do not do commissions for real money, i think that the arrogance is kind of undeserved, hehe. because woopdy doo you have a lot of fake money because a lot of people like anime style, congrats. (x
but in real world i can understand because in reality, being a popular artist is a very very small and elite group of people! so they have room to brag, i think.

i hope that made any sense :sweat:

Oh!! and another thing, i actually know a few popular artists like on deviant art, they are actually really nice people and not rude or anything, hehe. but i understand that some are, but i think that the really /really/ good ones are in general very kind people, at least all of those i have talked to.

Last edited by plxx; 12-03-2008 at 04:38 AM..

Claudia
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Old 12-31-2008, 08:28 PM

Sometimes being popular/ marketing your art is more important then the quality of it.
I've seen some poorly done ( IHO) artwork make it out there.
I suppose it's like any product or work...IF you can market it well enough, you'll make it even if your quality isn't up to par.

MurasakiCrown
\(@O@)ʌ...

Old 01-03-2009, 03:48 AM

I met various arrogant artists on deviantART. At first they seemed nice, but slowly their personalities turned me off. And when that happened, I just stopped watching them altogether.
Here are some of the things that bother me:
Although the popular artists may have nice art, I can often think of people that deserve the attention more, and who would never let it get to their heads.
Many also have an inability to take critique. They think that just because they're all that on ONE website, they think they're beyond flaw.
Their popularity ensures that anything they spew out of their fingers gains instant popularity, and they get lazy.
Some of them are very perverted, and break the rules, but only get a temporary ban because they rake the money in with their prints or something.
Some artists have art quality that has visibly deteriorated. They draw the same thing, or they draw what pleases the masses.
Some of them are actually thieves but once you tell them they will blatantly deny it, usually in a journal, to point a finger at you.
Speaking of journals, many use journals to get their army of fans to squish anyone who gets in their way-desu @w@

Nivvy
(っ◔◡◔)&...

Old 01-13-2009, 08:45 PM

In the popular channel of DA, it is shocking to see just how many artists are there, that are like... mediocre at best. Yet you see true professionals on there who have cracked the industry, and their work hardly pops up. I can't stand seeing the same artist in the popular channel, when their images all look similar. Once you've seen one, you've seen all. But in saying this, i often use this inspiration to drive me not to do the same.

I tend not to look too deeply into peoples work on here and Gaia, because in reality we're all working for nothing, but the experience of utilising a program, learning new features... etc. (Some people of course aren't - but i'd rather take that perspective on it). I do agree with Claudia's opinion.