realAniram
Teh Forever Newb
Send a message via MSN to realAniram

Old 10-02-2011, 06:08 PM

If this is in the wrong place, I'm very sorry. I tried to find a more suitable place, but I couldn't. I'm kind of an idiot anyway. xD

Hey all, I've got a hobby project going and am designing characters for it. Mainly, what I want to know are what you would want for your playable character in a visual novel type game. I'm thinking of having three different 'looks' for each gender. Right now I'm mainly working on the female version of the game (they'll be released separately and have slightly varying plots), but if you have look preferences for males than I'd like some help with that too.

I'm also wondering if for the three versions I should vary the outfits, should I have unnatural hair colors, should I give them different accessories? What would you prefer?

Thanks in advance!

Isendor
*^_^*

Old 10-02-2011, 07:57 PM

Mhh, the stereotype demands that one is a nerd (clumsy ugly duck), one is a wannabe-action hero (dummy ADHD-kiddo) and one is like... serious. (Cool/a-hole)

So that's not what I want.... :D Tell me more about the game, what is it about? What's the style you want to use? Is it placed in "real" world or a fantasy world? When can I play it? :eager:

realAniram
Teh Forever Newb

Old 10-02-2011, 11:48 PM

xD It won't be that good, trust me. But thanks for your enthusiasm!

Let's see, I don't really have the whole story fleshed out yet, but basically (at least in the female version) you play as a girl who was just barely created by the Celestial Elder (the oldest being in the universe, like a father to the two gods) in order the free the Moon Maiden (moon goddess) because the Sun Lord has had a weird fit of power hunger and trapped her away, so the sun is now always out and the people are dying from the heat and all the light. The Sun Lord has used his priests and priestesses to make the masses believe that anything that has to do with darkness and the moon is evil (although neither are really evil), so your girl has to be sort of... Subtle.

That's pretty much all I have so far, but I do know I want to include both male and female romance options. As far as the actual game goes, I've only got the waking up scene done (since the Celestial Elder's place is like the inside of a black hole, there's nothing except consciousness so the screen can be blank xD).

I've got the game so that there are three basic personality types; Saint-- those who generally tell the truth and are kind, Quiet-- those who tell the truth and lie equal amounts of the time and help if they feel like it, and I can't remember what I called it, something like Rebel or Tyrant-- those who generally lie and are mean. There are many places to make choices, and there are three choices to go with each personality type. When you make a choice, it will add that number to your current scores in the three types and in certain instances when your count is at or above a certain amount in that type than the game will have your character respond in that manner.

Also, the game has 'lie counter', which keeps track of how many times you've lied. Certain NPCs will be mistrustful at higher counts, and if your count is really high then you'll find it hard to get someone to trust you because you just have that 'shady aura'.

xD That was really long. As you can see, I've mostly got game mechanics down. I'm thinking if I can get past this character design thing that's been bugging me then I can continue with the story more.

Isendor
*^_^*

Old 10-09-2011, 05:24 PM

Sounds like a great idea, you really have to post it here when it's done! :O But back to the design! (If you still need opinions) Adding totally different hair colors is a good idea, the hair plays a big part in a character (duh to me, of course you understand these...). Could highlights work for one character? They're rarely used in comic books and games, can't really remember any character with highlights that are, eh, remarkable. I also think that one way to appeal many kind of people is adding different kind of hair lengths, one short, the medium one and the last can be long. And different outfits sound good, you can make the characters more variable that way!
What art style are you using, by the way? Manga, pixel...?

realAniram
Teh Forever Newb

Old 10-09-2011, 10:07 PM

Probably manga, since that's the style I'm best in. xD I might do a plain cartoon-y style, if I think that would appeal to people more. If I did the cartoon style, I'd probably stand out more, because most other games made with this engine that I'm using are done in anime style. Exposure is always awesome! xD

Yeah, I was thinking of doing the three basic hair lengths as well, but I never really thought of highlights! Maybe they could each have the same highlight color, since they're all supposed to be the same character..?

Isendor
*^_^*

Old 10-10-2011, 08:19 PM

Sweet idea! The color of highlights could represent their connection to the moon or darkness! But finding 3 hair colors that match with the same highlight color can be tough. Oh yeah, and I recommend browsing hair style magazines for inspiration! Unique short hairstyles are usually quite rare (actually rare people even want to draw ones to their characters. :( ), but magazines specialized in them have tons of ideas.

realAniram
Teh Forever Newb

Old 10-10-2011, 10:57 PM

Lol yeah. Hm. Also, I was wondering if you had a preference for anime (when everything else is done in anime style too) or American cartoon style?

I'm going to have to google a gallery of short hairstyles or something, lol!

Isendor
*^_^*

Old 10-17-2011, 08:15 PM

I'm fine with any style, I think that others have a better opinion about that. :D I just want a good story.
How are you making the game? Is it a flash game? Is it the first one you've made?

realAniram
Teh Forever Newb

Old 10-17-2011, 10:58 PM

It's the first game I've ever made, and I'm using a visual novel engine called Ren'Py, which uses its own code during the making process and then converts it to create a game in Python code. A lot of my favorite visual novels use this engine. xD And it's pretty versatile, which is nice.

StarWand
(-.-)zzZ

Old 09-09-2015, 10:29 PM

I know I'm late to the party on this one, but typically when I design characters, I try to really make them stand out, though I have certain personal nitpicks when designing them. For instance, I always have to draw them with some sort of hat or hair accessory, like a ribbon or headband for girls or a baseball cap for boys. I also normally design them with different scarves or neckties or necklaces, though maybe not necessarily always. I'll admit that in my attempts to make each of their outfits as original as possible that they often wind up with clothing that clashes or is very mismatched, but as long as I'm satisfied with my design I'm happy.

Love and kisses!