Heartages and Suno allowed only! X3

-planning stages-

Characters so far:

Cheri

Etheai

Saye

Rin

----------

A pinpoint ray of morning light struck Rin in the eye as she was roused to consciousness by the outside birds chirping happily, their tummies already full with breakfast. Bringing up a hand to shield the small but sharp light, Rin looked a bit confused. That's not supposed to be there... She thought. I had the curtains drawn. She sat up on her futon, arching her back in a stretch. It was coming out of a new hole in the cabin wall- where the plaster met the wood. Guess I'll have to fill it in later... Rin yawned and proceeded to start the day.

The clock read 9:26... it was late for what Rin was used to, but she hadn't slept well the last few nights. Maybe it was that she was getting too hot... She might have to change the bed linens if that were the case. Rin never slept well if she was overheated. After brushing her hair and her teeth, washing her face and putting on a little eye liner and shadow, She slipped on a pair of faded grey jeans that had red stitches in numerous places.

There were worn spots in the knees, though not yet holes. In the belt loops there was a black belt with rounded studs the size of quarters. It was a precious accessory- her mother's old belt- one she had used ever since she used to ride in the rodeos. Rin never went anywhere without it. she was proud of it- the cracking of the old drying leather, the scuff marks on the studs. The way it hugged her lower waist so comfortably, never restricting her, yet never feeling too overwhelming.

Rin threw on a black ribbed tank top, then a tailored button-down with a floral print over that. After pulling on her boots, she slung her messenger bag across her torso and left the cabin with a resounding 'click' of the ancient lock.

She sighed as she made her way toward town. 'I wonder what this day will bring me...'

heartages
⊙ω⊙

Old 07-02-2010, 04:15 PM

"Why is this happening?!" Cheri shouted as she threw on her thin, sleeveless jacket and rushed out the door to the three story, run-down boarding house at which she resided. How could I lose that apprenticeship? What did I do wrong? Why couldn't they tell me? And why did the call me at the last minute?!

Cheri started jogging up the street to vent a bit of her frustration. She had to keep moving. There was no way she could stop any time soon. It kept her mind from filling up with multitudes of worrisome thoughts. Soon, her jog turned into a run and she was dashing along the sidewalk in her dingy "neighborhood," if it can really be called that, she thought.

After a few moments, she came across some suspicious looking man. He was wearing a knee-length leather jacket which had random straps every which way, all around it. It was obviously a well-loved article of clothing. Or the only jacket he had (although it was odd for him to wear it in such warm weather). At first glance, he could have been mistaken for a homeless guy, but upon looking further, he seemed too well-off for that. One thing was for sure, though: he was clearly rummaging through someone's garbage.

I might could possibly say, "Oh, have you lost something?" because he may live in one of these houses and have thrown away something important. I could offer to help. But, ew, no I don't want to dig through the trash. Besides, it's not like I just randomly talk to people on a regular basis (or ever) anyway. So, Cheri decided to keep on running past him.

That was, until he backed right into her path, probably cursing under his breath (he looked as though he was frustrated enough to do so). Cheri was forced to stop. He turned to her, realizing he had blocked her from continuing and gave her a look of probity that made her think that there was no way he was just foraging through the trash. He seemed to be questioning her with his expression.

"Y-you looking for something?" she said in such a quiet voice that it was barely audible.

"Nothing of consequence," he replied, smoothly. It was then that she noticed that he was neither human nor any creature she knew of. His sharp teeth and oval shaped pupils told her that. He had so many human-like feature that she thought he might have been a cross-breed. And he probably couldn't have been much older than Cheri was herself. He just stared down at her as if she was just another meaningless person. Cheri didn't like that.

"Then what are you doing?" She asked as if to suspect him. "Why are you searching through filth to find something of such little consequence?" He laughed at her.

"You're personality sure changes quick!" He said, stepping over so that he stood beside her.

"Your attitude made he angry," she said, not caring a thing for this man.

"Attitude? And what kind of attitude did I give you?" He took interest, which was much different than the way he had stared before.

"You confuse me..." She started to quiet down again.

Suddenly, a ghastly, shriek-like sound emerged from the forest behind them. It seemed to permeate every part of the outskirts of the city. A chill made its way down Cheri's spine and her eyes widened. Birds had started flying away from the trees and there was a rustle and bustle about the place that seemed to be caused from more than just the wind.

A long silence passed, even after things had calmed down. People had stepped outside their homes to see what it was that had caused the disturbance. Cheri found herself standing closer to the stranger. Had she moved toward him in fear? Or did he step closer to her in an act of protection? She couldn't remember. But he did look as if he might know something about what was happening.

((Nothing has to happen yet, if you don't want it to... It can be like a foreshadow or something...))

Last edited by heartages; 07-02-2010 at 04:23 PM..

Suno
(-.-)zzZ
Send a message via AIM to Suno

Old 07-09-2010, 03:30 AM

Startled, Rin jumped a little and quickly took her foot off the pedal of the potter's wheel. She looked around the small studio, to see other people's reactions to the sudden disturbance. But of course, this early in the day the only other companion she had was Marty, the old painter who remained hunched on a stool in front of his easel, his arms and lap covered in paint. Slowly, he straightened and turned, though not facing the young potter.

"Dja hear that?"

Obviously he wasn't one to be phased-even with what had happened.

Rin nodded, her brow slightly furrowed, dark eyes focusing with thought. She felt the hair on her neck raise. Though she was in the middle of a project and hated to be interrupted, she stood and wiped her clay-covered hands on her apron.

"Stay here, Mart."

She stepped through the open door and examined her surroundings. There was certainly some sort of sudden wind that had swept through the town, unnatural for this time of day and contrary to what the forecast called for. And that noise... what could have caused it? Other people nearby had heard it too- and some stood outside of their own shops, trying to figure out what had happened.

As long as we don't get any tornadoes... thought Rin. After a moment, she went back inside, trying to act like it was no big thing. Though the foreboding feeling in her stomach wouldn't go away. She fought against anxiety, trying to relax as she wet her hands and started guiding the spinning clay once more.

heartages
⊙ω⊙

Old 07-09-2010, 04:10 AM

Etheai was having a little difficulty keeping to himself the thoughts that raced through his mind. Though, people had begun going about their normal routines, he noticed that the girl whose path he had come across was looking at him intently, as if to suspect him of something -- something to do with that eerie sound.

"Look, girl, why don't you go on about doing... whatever it was your were doing, and I'll go about my own business, here, okay?" He had thought for a moment that he could befriend the girl, until she appeared to be getting a nosy air about her.

"Wait!" She said. "Do you know what that was? You will just quickly move on like that?" She really seemed concerned.

"No, I have no idea what that sound was," he lied. He really did have a pretty good idea what it probably might have been, although he had no proof. "And, yes, I can move on this quickly." He wanted to scoot her along, hoping she wouldn't bother him. She didn't seem convinced, though.

It feels like you know something about it... Her eyes were telling him. Etheai was okay at reading people. Especially expressive people like her. Her facial expression changed from suspicion to confusion and then faded into a slight smile. "Well, okay then," she said.

She must have convinced herself that she had no reason to not believe me, he assumed, and he turned back to the garbage.

"You should really be careful digging through someone else's trash," she nagged. "They might not like it." The girl was half-way jogging in place. Etheai sighed, exasperated, and he rolled his eyes a bit.

"You're still here? And how do you know this isn't my trash?" He said in a complaining tone.

"Because, the owners of this house stepped out during the commotion and were eying you, bewildered," she stated, simply.

"Yeah, yeah, yeah," he said, annoyed, "Besides, as soon as it hits the curb, it's fair game. Now run along, little impatient girl." She furrowed her brow and her lips tightened into a thin line.

"Excuse me," she said, a bit angered. "My name is Cheri, and I'm obviously not a little girl!"

"Well, Cheri," he said, almost mockingly, "I'm Etheai, and it was very nice to meet you and all, but now I would like for you to go. That's right, run along!" He gave her a little wave.

"You are infuriating!" She shouted at him and continued her jog.

She is probably hoping that she will never have to see my sorry mug again, Etheai laughed to himself.

Last edited by heartages; 07-09-2010 at 04:39 AM..

Suno
(-.-)zzZ

Old 07-09-2010, 05:02 AM

"Ah, that looks like the best one you've done yet!" Marty then proceeded to hack for a moment. Though the man had quit smoking a few years ago, the tar would always remain in his lungs. Rin sighed. "You know, I just haven't been feeling it. I don't know what's wrong with me." She stood, wiping her hands clean and gazing at her latest creation. It was a coffee mug- an anticlimax if she ever saw one.
She reached up and scratched her head. It was bizarre, really. A simple coffee mug, yet the man was telling her it was something great. Marty wasn't the type to be kind for no reason. Apparently he saw something in it that Rin could not. Oh well... it was a nice design... wide toward the bottom, then narrowing just a bit at the top. There was an anti-spill lip, and even a thumbrest carefully crafted onto the handle. Rin had also made sure that even after it was painted and slicked, it would be easy to hold onto even without the handle. It was so detailed, so thought-out, yet it meant nothing to her.

She shook her head to clear her mind. But such a thing was impossible today, given what had happened earlier. She still had no clue what to think of it...

-a few hours later-

Rin sighed and turned the key to lock the studio door. It was late in the afternoon, and although the sun was still up, all of her students had already left. That was the perk when it came to closing during the warmer months. More daylight. Really, Rin considered herself a night lover, but the extra light was always appreciated. First, she considered just going back home and fixing that hole in the cabin wall, but after staring at the setting sun for a moment, she found herself walking to a nearby park. It would be a wasted afternoon not to witness something so brilliant.

Sitting with her long legs stretched out, Rin was very content... the air was perfect, it had been a leisurely day... it had been a while since she felt like this. Like she didn't have to turn right around and take care of some other responsibility. It wasn't really an issue with her- Rin just felt like she had had no down time. Now was a good a time as any to finally achieve it.

Right as she watched the remaining ribbon of sun go over the hill, she felt the air drop at an alarming rate. Now that wasn't right... shadows didn't make that much of a difference in temperature. She looked around. The edge of the woods were to her left, an empty field to her right. As usual, the trees beckoned to her, and despite the feeling of danger in the air, she answered.

Rin thought that the 'somethings-not-right' feeling might disappear by now, but of course it only got stronger the closer she would get to the trees. She braced herself, trying to prepare for anything that might come upon her.

And then it happened. She felt a cold, slithering sensation creep down her throat- much like how one can feel cold water or milk travel down the throat and settle in the stomach. But this sensation wasn't exactly comforting. After the strange feeling had hit her core, it began to spread through her body, into her arms and legs. She found it difficult to breathe, but the ability itself wasn't being stifled. It was much like the feeling when one would try to breathe while sticking their head out of a car window on the highway. Like the air was being taken away.
A hissing could be heard inside her head. Taking over her thoughts. Like the noise from before, except this was actually inside her. Clouding her mind...

Rin had ceased movement, but after a moment, survival instincts kicked in and she forced herself to move- to breathe, to walk. Difficult at first, she walked as best as she could out of the trees, staggering and weaving. The hissing began to weaken, but it didn't vanish. She shook her head-even slapped herself- but nothing helped. What's happening to me?! She thought.

Last edited by Suno; 07-09-2010 at 05:26 AM..

heartages
⊙ω⊙

Old 07-09-2010, 05:02 PM

Saye sat in her window seat, staring out over the city lights toward the darkness where the forest began. Something about that night was strange. There was something different about the atmosphere. Everything felt very odd.

And Saye's small trinket was pulsating, which led her to believe that something strange was indeed happening. She had found the thing long, long ago. It was not much larger than a coin, and it resembled a tiny dragon grasping a crystal. Inside seemed to be a liquid or a colorful gas that floated or flowed around. And sometimes, it would glow or shine. The only thing that she really knew was that ever since she found it, wonderful things would happen for her. Strange occurrences would come about at times, but she was too glad at the good things to liberate herself of the object.

It was a heartwarming thing, almost as if it were alive, as if it were a tiny creature that depended on her. That was how she felt the moment she had come across it, and she continued to feel that way even then. She really did believe that it was a living being and she would talk to it as if it could hear her and as if it were her closest friend. She knew it was strange, so she had never told anyone. She was only thirteen and her legal guardian was her older brother, who was rarely home. He spent most of his time with his friends and hardly ever spoke to her.

Saye was most often looked after by the housekeeper of their rather nice apartment in the city. Her name was Nariette, but she never poked into Saye's personal business. So Saye kept her trinket, which she had given the name "Sev'ro," her own little secret.

This particular night, though, she felt like Sev'ro was telling her to beware and to be careful going forward. Things were beginning to change.

Suno
(-.-)zzZ

Old 07-13-2010, 01:27 AM

She was now going through the streets of the outskirts of the city... dilapidated houses sat, boards over broken windows, clutter covering the porches of some. Not exactly the safest part of town, but Rin could protect herself. Well... sort of. In her present condition, she couldn't. The sensation was coming in waves now, pulsating throughout her body. Her core was still numb, but it was easier to breathe. An ache had begun to form in her chest, a rock-hard mass of pain. She hoped that somehow, by moving, it would work itself out. She was now able to walk halfway normal, but with each wave that hit, she would stumble. She just couldn't wait to get home and lie down.

"Ngh..."

Soup, she thought. Soup's just what I need when I get home. Maybe focusing her mind on something else-something that would comfort her would help this oddness to go away.

((she's being random now lol))

Last edited by Suno; 07-13-2010 at 04:28 PM..

heartages
⊙ω⊙

Old 07-14-2010, 10:38 PM

Cheri was sitting on the front porch of the boarding house. There were a few rocking chairs and one porch swing. When she thought about it, it was a pretty nice building considering the rest of the houses and buildings in the area. It was a really well kept up place. Most of the people who lived in the area were poor and probably didn't have a lot of time or resources to worry about everything looking great. Cheri's predicament was not much better.

She moved over to the steps on the porch and began eating a few of the strawberry tarts she had made a bit earlier. She had them sitting on a small plate beside her on the porch. She hated to go inside and listen to Mrs. Margaret complain about Cheri losing her job. She had had enough troubles to deal with that day.

Suddenly, she realized the sound of footsteps approaching. Then, she noticed someone standing near the post of the front gate near the sidewalk. It was only about three yards away from where she was. It was too dark for her to make out who it was, but once she heard the voice, she rolled her eyes.

"Something's happening," It was that vagrant Etheai.

"What do you want?" She sounded annoyed.

"Sorry to bother you," Etheai turned toward her. He sounded a lot more serious than before which worried Cheri a bit. Why in the world had he approached her again when had only wanted her to leave him be? "But you see," he continued, "I'm running out of time here."

"Time for what?" She asked him.

"Have you lived here long?" He ignored her question.

"All my life. I lived closer to the city before, but after my mom abandoned me, I was left to fend for myself. Mrs. Margaret took me in," she was rambling off to him for some reason, but he stopped her.

"So you know this city pretty well?" He asked.

"I guess so..." She replied.

"Then perhaps you can help me find something," he stated. "But for now I suggest we both get indoors somewhere." And then he started to head into the boarding house.

Cheri freaked out. What was he doing? What was he expecting? "Where are you going?" She asked, sounding a little angry. He laughed at her.

"I'm going inside," he said, obnoxiously, almost smirking and leering. Then, he suddenly reverted to his serious self and signaled for Cheri to be silent. He looked around cautiously.

Suno
(-.-)zzZ

Old 07-16-2010, 05:58 PM

An annoyed Rory stared at the mirror, his wet hair dripping into the bathroom sink. He had not slept well the previous night. Nightmares had come and gone, flooded with dark images, scenes he couldn't quite comprehend but that brought a feeling of terror and anxiety. He leaned toward the mirror and looked himself in the eye... his pupils seemed to have changed shape... and as for his teeth, his incisors were getting more and more pointed, and the other teeth- more narrow. He sighed deeply and closed his eyes. In this world, there wasn't anyone who could tell him what the heck was going on, but in his dreams- that was a different story. Answers came only while he was asleep, but they were vague. He needed time to figure everything out, but there was one thing he did understand so far. He was changing. Inside and out. Everything had happened so fast... Rory didn't know exactly what to make of it.

After throwing on his jacket and taming his hair just a bit, he went down the stairs, skipping one at a time. It was more natural for him to do, with the long legs he had. Through the window he saw Cheri outside. After opening the front door, he looked back briefly to call goodbye to Margaret while walking out-and was cut short by an unexpected guest. He took a step back to survey whom exactly he had walked into.

Instantly, the air seemed colder. The hair on Rory's neck rose. He saw the man's slitted pupils and pointed teeth as he stood with his mouth slightly open. Rory's eyes narrowed. "What are you doing here?" He asked in a flat tone.

Last edited by Suno; 07-16-2010 at 06:01 PM..

heartages
⊙ω⊙

Old 07-18-2010, 07:01 PM

"Well, good sir," Etheai mocked, "I happen to be staying here a while." Etheai immediately took in this man's appearance, including his eyes. They didn't seem to be human eyes.

"Be sure there isn't anything personal in your trash, Rory" Cheri came in after Etheai, warning Rory. "I met this guy, Etheai, earlier today while he was going through someone else's garbage..." She gave a look of disgust. "Not sure when he spoke to Mrs. Margaret about staying here, though..."

Etheai laughed aloud. Something about the situation amused him. And something about Rory's skeptical attitude as well interested him. Putting it aside, though, he pushed his way through, "If you'll excuse me," he said with a smug look on his face. He greeted Mrs. Margaret and then made his way up to his room, leaving Cheri and Rory standing in the doorway.

"If you're going out," Cheri began noticing that Rory had probably come to the door in order to leave, "things have been really strange today. And it feels like Etheai might know something about what's been going on. I don't really trust him, but he did warn me that it's probably not safe outside right now, and from what I can tell, I agree with him... So if you are going out, be careful." Cheri paused for a minute, taking in Rory's appearance. Something seemed different. And there was something darker about his demeanor as well. "Are you okay?" She asked.

She never really knew what to expect from Rory. He never seemed like the talkative type with her and Cheri was always so shy. But considering the conditions of the past few moments and given the opportunity, she figured she would try to be nice and a bit social with him. She waited to see if he would offer up a response.

Suno
(-.-)zzZ

Old 07-20-2010, 04:52 AM

He's a resident? Thought Rory, a little confused. Since when? What caught him off guard even more though, was the look he gave him. For a brief second, Rory could tell Etheai was studying him. He could see what others hadn't noticed yet... Rory hoped it wasn't something anyone would ever find out. But deep inside, he knew better than to think that. Something was indeed going to happen.
He took in what Cheri had to say, then frowned as the man left them. He certainly didn't seem like a likeable person... but whether Rory would end up liking him or not, he knew he would have to talk with him... soon.

Rory sighed as he was addressed with concern from the girl. He wasn't exactly friendly, but his expression did soften. They didn't talk much, but he always did notice that Cheri seemed to belong in a better place than this... he sometimes wondered what she was doing, living in a humble place like this. "Thanks, Cheri. I've noticed a change, too." He frowned slightly. "I dunno what to think about that guy..." He mumbled, looking through the doorway to the street where a few leaves blew, the curled tips scraping the asphalt softly. "I'm alright. Just not feeling myself lately."

After a short moment of looking outside, Rory noticed someone coming up the street. They were just a couple of houses away from where he and Cheri stood. There was something wrong with them... perhaps they had some sort of physical impairment... but the more he watched, he noticed they were hurt. Something was familiar about them- their hair, their build... It was only a few seconds before he recognized her. "Rin," He decended the porch steps easily, and reached her with just a few strides. The woman was doubled over, grasping an arm Rory had offered. "What's wrong, what is it?" He asked.

------------

Figures. Just when she was about to make it home (hopefully), Who was to show up but Rory. Rin was just as surprised to see him, despite passing in front of the place he lived. He was never home, it seemed- and when he was, Rin never knew. Rory was like a brother to her growing up, but the two drifted apart once they started pursuing their own lives. It was funny how they lived so close to each other and hardly had much to do with the other. But she didn't hold it against him, nor herself.
At first, she wanted to wave him off, but that would be silly. Just let him help you... she thought to herself.
It was certainly not a bad thing that he came over to help her- she found herself more than grateful that he was there. He helped her up the sidewalk to the boarding house; she squeezed his arm tightly as another wave of pain hit. Admittedly, it was embarrassing for him to see her like this. She tried to talk, and managed a few words. "In... in the forest..." She said. Her skin was beginning to feel a little hot. "A strange feeling came... made me sick..." She swallowed. Now she felt nauseous. Just what exactly is happening to my body? She thought.

Last edited by Suno; 07-20-2010 at 05:05 AM..

heartages
⊙ω⊙

Old 07-25-2010, 03:51 AM

Cheri stood in the doorway, watching the scene before her. There was a stranger in pain, and Cheri felt the inherent need to lend her aid. However, Rory was already by this woman's side. Apparently they knew each other? She was unsure. She could only watch. Cheri was afraid to move. Something felt eerie about the situation. Was this part of what Etheai had meant about not going out? Had whatever happened to this woman been because of what Etheai worried about?

She shook the thoughts and decided that the woman was probably just sick and came to an old friend for help. She decided to step outside and approach the two.

Inside, Etheai was watching from the window of his room. He sighed and lightly tapped his palm to his forehead.

Gee, Dad, he thought to himself, I'm much too tired to deal with all this right now... He tore his eyes away from the scene and threw himself backwards onto the bed feeling cursed. Etheai hadn't always been a loner, but he had chosen to live that way of life and had been doing so for a few years. He never intended on making friendships with anyone, probably for the remainder of his existence.

For some reason, however, he felt a strange bond with Cheri and he somehow had led himself to believe that she would be helpful to him. You're supposed to be handling all this, you old fool, his thoughts continued. I never cared about any of this stuff... I have no idea what I'm doing. You always said I was just an idiot. So why did I suddenly feel the urgent need to take on this task you passed to me? His thoughts couldn't help but wander to the situation outside. From stories he had heard, he could imagine what the problem was, but he didn't have a clue as to what to do or how to help. He was useless.

I can't worry about these people right now, he told himself. That's why I decided to cut off all social connections in the first place, right? I can't help anyone without first finding that. But it doesn't change the fact that I can't stand this. Etheai chuckled to himself. He sat up, pulled his shirt off, then removed his belt and shoes, climbed under the covers and fell into a deep slumber.

>>DON'T LET HILLY THINK ABOUT SAID SLEEPING MAN IN JUST HIS PANTS AND SOCKS SO VULNERABLE IN THE BED WHILE HE SLEEPS<<

***OMG HILLIES! YOU PERVERTED PSYCHOTIC MOLESTER!***

Last edited by heartages; 07-25-2010 at 04:47 AM..

Suno
(-.-)zzZ

Old 08-01-2010, 06:12 AM

Rory's eyes narrowed. This sounded all too familiar... "Cmon", he said, frowning. "Let's go inside." He grasped her shoulders, and moving beside her, steered her into the boarding house. She moved with him, taking note of the girl that had come outside to meet them. She nodded once, a silent thank you as she opened the door for them. They moved to the kitchen, where she took a seat and Rory fixed her a glass of water. She glanced again at the girl, but looked away... how embarrassing... Rin didn't like to make crappy first impressions. This was the worst time she had ever had when meeting someone new.

Rory took up a chair and sat at the small table, adjacent to her. The heavy glass was loud as it made contact with the dense wooden table. He slid it over to her, its smooth surface lightly touching her resting arm. "Drink all of it." Rin looked at him for a brief moment, wondering what could he possibly know that she didn't about what was happening- that he could tell her to do something with an odd certainty in his voice that said that he knew the situation?

She would have to talk to him about it at another time- but soon. Rin grimaced and downed the water quickly, wanting to trust Rory and just make all of this stop so that she could go home. The water had an odd taste to it- a vague, almost salty-sweet flavor. Was it just her? Hm... no doubt this old place had a few quirks to it- she wasn't going to rule out pipes that might need replacing. Oh well... she supposed it wouldn't kill her.

A minute later, after it seemed that Rin's pain had subsided- if even just a little, the young man stood, scooting the chair back with a screech. He looked at Cheri. "In a moment, I want you to take her up to my room, once she's feeling like walking up the stairs. She needs to sleep." He began to make his way out of the small kitchen, ducking under the bead curtain that hung in the doorway. "I have a few things to discuss with someone."

Rin perked up at his words. Sleep? She needed to get home! "Rory", she said, pushing her chair back. She stood swiftly, but remained at the table. "Thank you for your help... I appreciate it, but I'm going home." She turned back to Cheri. "Really. Don't worry about me-" As she turned to face Rory, who was standing on the stairs- one foot on the third step, he didn't say a word. Only watched with a placid unreadable expression. As if on que, Rin felt dizziness steal her sense and force her back down in her seat. Ugh... perhaps I got up to fast... Rory then continued his way up the steps.

heartages
⊙ω⊙

Old 08-01-2010, 05:31 PM

Cheri sat at the table, slowly and uncomfortably. The situation was awkward to her, being as shy as she was. She looked over to Rin, uncertainly. "My name is Cheri," she said quietly. "I'm not sure what's going on, but I'd be happy to help out anyway I can. Rory seems to know how to help you and I don't think you should go home alone... But you seem to have a strong heart. I'm sure you'll be better in no time," she tried to give Rin a bright smile. Under the table and out of sight, though, she was fiddling with a bit of her shirt in her fingers and wiggling her toes up an down. It was the only way she could move around without actually... moving around. (LOL)

~ ~ ~ * ~ ~ ~ * ~ ~ ~

((Dang! Is it still night?! LOL I guess time could be creeping on into very early morning, but Saye's definitely still in bed... and her brother is probably just now walking into the door after his ridiculous training with Reborn!, he being in the mafia and all... LOL But who cares about her brother, cept for the fact that he has an army of friends that might be able to carry on a good lengthy war with some zombies later on, but that's beside the point, sooo uh, putting that aside...))

Etheai began to snore quite loudly.

Quite possibly loud enough to wake himself from his strange dreams.

((I'm sorry this post is so sucky~ I didn't know what to put... :D PM me when you post next! I am really liking this story :D))

Last edited by heartages; 08-15-2010 at 01:03 AM..

Suno
(-.-)zzZ

Old 08-17-2010, 03:16 AM

(( I forgot it was late!!! LOL Um, yeah.... I guess they're just up late? ))

Really, all Rin wanted was to get home- now that she was feeling better... or was at least somewhat functional. She was tired, but she wansn't about to admit it. She didn't want to sleep anywhere but in her own bed. As she watched the young man walk up the steps, she felt anger simmering inside her. She needed to talk to him further... should she do it now, while she was here, or later? Still lightheaded, she glanced over at Cheri. The girls words were kind, but she was in no mood to comply. It was frustrating- being stuck here... she knew that she wouldn't wait a day or however long it would take to talk to Rory. The way he was acting... something was... dark about him. Normally, that wasn't a way to describe someone, but it seemed to fit him exactly. There was no doubt that he knew something.

"Thanks..." She muttered to Cheri, still peering in the direction of the stairs. "I appreciate it, but you're not putting me to bed." Rory seems to know how to help me, you got that right... She sat heavily back down in the chair with a frustrated sigh. She wanted to chase him up the stairs and demand what he knew, but that wasn't the best choice... she could be patient... maybe. Rin put her elbows on the table and put her head in her hands, running her fingers through her hair. Why couldn't this have just remained the calm evening it was turning out to be?

------

Rory approached the door to Etheai's room- scowling as the sound of snoring emitted from the other side. He placed his hand on the ancient knob, starting to twist it when flashes entered his mind- visions, scattered images- similar to the dreams he was having earlier, but not identical. He shut his eyes tight, bringing a hand to his head. It was almost overwhelming, but he regained his senses soon after.... snapping his eyes open, Rory gritted his teeth, and, turning the knob, he pushed the door in forcefully, not bothering to be quiet. It banged against the wall and shook slightly. He snapped on the light, chest heaving lightly from the odd feeling that overtook him just moments before. He thought he would give the young man a few moments to regain himself before asking him any questions.

heartages
⊙ω⊙

Old 08-17-2010, 03:35 AM

"Holy crap, man!" Though Etheai had been snoring, he was actually a very light sleeper. The sound of the door hitting the wall had caused him to jump out of the bed and he basically landed far enough to the side that he toppled over into the floor. "What the heck are you doing, barging into someone's room like this?!" Etheai really was a little freaked out. Still sitting on the floor, supporting himself with one hand, he eyed Rory, head to toe. After a moment, he sighed heavily and scratched his head. "Go ahead, ask away. But I gotta tell you ahead of time, you're not going to like any kind of response that I can give you..."

Last edited by heartages; 08-17-2010 at 03:38 AM..

Suno
(-.-)zzZ

Old 08-17-2010, 03:54 AM

Rory folded his arms. "First of all, how long has this been going on?" He asked. A scowl passed over his features. "How long have the nightmares, the coldness, the darkness been affecting you?" Surely he had felt it too. His eyes gave him away. They were becoming something different, something not human... or at least a hybrid of sorts.

((SHORTPOST))

heartages
⊙ω⊙

Old 08-17-2010, 04:56 AM

Etheai laughed. He laughed harder than he had in a long time. In fact, he found it very difficult to stop laughing.

Eventually, he calmed himself down enough to begin speaking again, wiping a tear from his eye, "So let me get this straight..." He began. "You think that I'm one of you?" He chuckled again. "Sorry, dude," he started standing up, grunting a bit, but he wound up sitting back down in the end, "I'm afraid you've got it wrong. I might be a little different than normal human beings, but I'm not the same as you. Oh no! Not the same at all. There might be some similarities between the two of us, but no way am I the same. I can feel the darkness emanating from you like some horrible fog. You would be able to sense the same from me if I were like you." Etheai knew his answer was in no way satisfying, but he had warned Rory from the beginning.

"Look, I don't really know anything about your situation. I know that the Umbra is what caused it, but I have no connection to the Umbra what-so-ever, except for a little thing that I won't reveal to the likes of you, because you've already been infected. There's no way I can help you here or now, and if you want my help at all, ever, I suggest you go about your business and leave me to my own. You understand?"

Last edited by heartages; 08-19-2010 at 01:52 AM..

Suno
(-.-)zzZ

Old 08-17-2010, 05:29 AM

Rory scowled. He definitely didn't like being laughed at- especially when he secretly felt desperate and scared more than anything else.... but that easily turned into frustration and anger. He clenched his fist and growled as he stepped forward. The man's laughter was really getting to him. And with the answer he gave him, came embarassment.
"Listen, I am sorry for barging in like this, but honestly... I need to know what's happening- or going to happen. You claim to know so little- yet we look the same. I can sense something about you... it may not be darkness, but it's something."

"And what right do you have to keep me from knowing something? If it won't help me, then what's the harm in telling me in the first place?" His eyes got even darker as he glared at Etheai. "What about others it might happen to?" It's too late? What about Rin?

Suno
(-.-)zzZ

Old 08-17-2010, 07:55 PM

Rin figured it might be a little while before Rory came back downstairs... and things were beginning to get awkward between her and Cheri- who was obviously uncomfortable to begin with. She lifted her head and rested her chin on her fists, moving only her eyes to look in Cheri's direction. "So... how long have you been living here?" She asked in a monotone.

heartages
⊙ω⊙

Old 08-17-2010, 08:37 PM

(( Yeah, Etheai is obnoxious. :P ))

Etheai struggled inside to come to grips with the situation. He had never been so close to his task before... This was why he had stayed away from people. He stood from the floor and sat on his bed, a bit more serious than he liked to be, but he knew it was what the circumstances called for. He clasped his hands together softly, not looking in Rory's direction. He was trying to find the words to say, though he knew nothing he could say would be satisfying enough for Rory. Etheai couldn't imagine what Rory was going through.

"My knowledge of this whole thing is very limited. Unfortunately for you, I can't reveal the details you are longing to hear, otherwise things will end up complicated. I can just tell you one thing for sure: You don't want me to get infected. Or to die. Either way, things are screwed. I can't tell you how or why, because I don't know some of it and the rest... Well, let's say I probably need to carry the rest with me to the grave." Etheai finally caught Rory's gaze. "You appear to have found your bearings with your situation rather quickly compared to others I've chanced upon. You mentioned that we appear to be the same, but that's simply not true. In the end, you would probably look quite a bit different than I do. But I'd rather not let 'the end' come at all."

Etheai stumbled through his words. He wanted to help, he honestly did, or he wouldn't have been there. However there was much he worried about. How could he get Rory off his case so that he really could do what he needed to do in order to help in the long run? Had he already revealed too much?

"Listen... I can promise you that it's not too late for you. You have been infected by an Umbra, a dark creature. It's not like being bitten by a snake where the venom permeates the body, but more as if the snake entered your body and is trying to fill it up with its own existence. I don't know much about the Umbra, but there are those who do. Ask around, maybe you can find someone who knows. Most people will wonder what in the world you're talking about, but the ones who shy away in fear, the ones who run, the ones who don't question it... They are probably the ones who know. And there is the possibility that they don't want to share their knowledge with anyone. But that course is up to you. It's not something I can do, because there is a more pressing matter I will be dealing with. Now, I suggest you get some rest, if you can. You're going to need as much as you can get."

Etheai laid back down in his bed, hoping Rory would just leave. He didn't mean to be so brazen and unfeeling, but he really didn't know what to do. He'd already broken so many rules and strayed from so many guidelines, a way of life he had been all too accustomed to before this responsibility fell upon his shoulders. Etheai had probably endangered his own life by doing so, but it was too late to do anything about it at that point. He just wanted to sleep.

~~~*~~~*~~~

Cheri felt bad for eavesdropping, but she was concerned for really the only three people she'd really had any contact with during that day. Rin had tried to strike up a conversation with her, but Cheri was so awkward in response ("I-i've been here for about four years..." Then she was pretty silent) that it became difficult. Rin had gotten impatient and wanted to have a word with Rory. Cheri felt an obligation to help her up the stairs.

Once they had arrived at the top, the two of them noticed that Etheai's door was open, and when they heard a bit of the conversation being held, they silently agreed that it would be best not to interrupt. But neither of them could tear their ears away from what they were hearing. Cheri didn't understand a bit of it, and she felt worried about whatever it was happening to herself and to the other people she cared about. She also felt exhausted. She needed to get to sleep. She wanted to creep past the doorway so badly and just make it to her room and climb into her bed and bid that particular day, farewell... But something told her that it wouldn't be appropriate at the moment. She watched Rin for a sign. Maybe Rin had a better idea of the situation and might know what to do.

Last edited by heartages; 08-17-2010 at 08:47 PM..

Suno
(-.-)zzZ

Old 08-19-2010, 04:09 AM

As cranky as Rin was getting, she was going to just wait downstairs till Rory was done with whatever he was doing, but it was getting really hard to just sit and wait. Eventually though, she had let go of her self control and went upstairs with the aid of Cheri- thankfully she was there, for she still stumbled just a few times and risked their presence being known by Rory.

She couldn't really tell what they were talking about, and judging from Cheri's confused/unsure look, she didn't either. What Rin did realize was that something was happening to her. An Umbra? What's an umbra? Her thoughts floated back to the woods. They must live there... it seemed that the farther she had gotten from that forest, the less the pain had gotten. But what if one was already invading her? It wouldn't matter where she was... she would get 'taken over', or whatever Etheai had called it. She felt worry begin to well up inside her. This was not good...

-----

Rory waited for a few seconds before looking down at the floor and turning, closing Etheai's door behind him. So... it was a situation that could be helped... maybe. There was so much he wanted to ask, to pry out of the man if he had to- but there was something that stopped him from doing so. He said that he had probably told him too much as it was... Rory had the feeling that Etheai was involved in the situation that, if something went wrong, both of them were screwed. That's what he gathered anyway. He understood that much and would leave him alone as he needed... but who was to say that that wouldn't change... Rory felt like he was being eaten alive... with the way he felt and after hearing what Etheai had explained to him.

He began to turn to go to his room, but was stopped short by two young women in the hallway. "I thought I told you to go to bed." He asked with a scowl. Rin frowned. "You're not treating me like some third grader. I'll do what I please." Rory pushed past her, lightly bumping her shoulder. Without really thinking, mainly acting on desperation, she shot a hand out, catching his shoulder. "Wait". He didn't react, just stood. "What were you guys talking about in there? What is an Umbra? What's happening to me? To you? When-" She was silenced as he turned around and put a finger lightly against her lips. "That's enough." Rin wanted to protest, but she was stopped short once she looked into his eyes... which were glowing in the dim hallway.

They glowed with such an intensity that Rin seemed to be caught in it. After a moment, he spoke. "Leave me alone." His voice was calm and even, making Rin feel cold inside. He... he didn't seem human... Is this going to happen to me? She thought. Without another word, Rory retreated to his room and shut the door.

This was getting old. But did she have a choice? Rin let out a sound of exasperation and turned around. It looked like everyone had retired for the night. It was getting late... she could tell that Cheri was eager to get to bed. Great. She knew that it would be stupid to walk back to her place at this point. "I uh, I knew I have been saying otherwise, but do you think I could stay here tonight? If there's room?"

((lol she's doing what Rory said in the first place whether she likes it or not :P))

Last edited by Suno; 08-19-2010 at 04:29 AM..

heartages
⊙ω⊙

Old 08-20-2010, 12:19 AM

((Heartages takes a really, reeeeeaaaaallly deep breath))

Cheri gently smiled at Rin and nodded. "Of course," she said. "You can stay in my room. I'll sleep downstairs in the front room. I need to kind of explain a few things to Mrs. Margaret, the owner of the boarding house, anyway. I know she's been up and probably frustrated by the commotion around here. Even though I don't think we've been too loud, it would probably be a good idea to talk to her." Then, Cheri led the way to her room and let Rin inside. "I hope you can sleep alright," she said as she started back down the hallway.

Upon arriving down the stairs, she noticed Mrs. Margaret had opened up her door. Her room branched from the hall right outside of the kitchen and on the opposite side was the open entrance to the front sitting room with a big window that looked out over the front porch. Cheri made her way in that direction and saw out of the corner of her eye that Mrs. Margaret was sitting on the couch in the front room.

"Mrs. Margaret," she said softly, but before she could say anything else, Margaret eyed her with concern. She had been expecting Cheri to come down.

"Come here and sit," she said. Mrs. Margaret was probably about fifty years old. She was a bit pudgy and she almost always wore an apron. She could seem tough and effervescently strong-willed, but she was really just a mother at heart. And the poor woman's only son left home at 19 without a word after her husband passed away years ago. She had the strength of heart to overcome it, though, and was able to open the boarding house. She never discriminated against the type of people she brought in, but she had an equal amount of love for each of the people she kept up, whether she showed it or not. But Mrs. Margaret showed her love and care to Cheri, because she knew Cheri would appreciate it.

"My dear," she began, "It seems some trouble has come our way, has it not?" Cheri slowly sat beside her and Margaret patted Cheri's knee lightly. "Given the circumstances, I don't want to nag at you for losing your apprenticeship. I think you've had enough of that. But, it was unfair that they just cut you off like that. And it won't be fair to everyone else if I keep you here for free, so I want you to try to come by some earnings as soon as you can. Of course, I'm not just gonna turn you out. In the end, if you can't find something, you can always work around here and help me out," she smiled.

"That's not what this is about, is it?" Cheri's intuition was telling her that something else was bothering her.

"It seems we've picked up a few more people. And the changes with Rory concern me. Really reminds me of Dean just before he left..." Her son... Cheri thought. "I never got too attached to Rory, because he distanced himself so much, but that doesn't mean I don't care about him. It's just feels so strange, as if it's all exactly the same as before..."

"There are some crazy things going on, Margaret," Cheri said, "and I don't know hardly anything about it. But it feels like Etheai has brought some of this trouble with him. He and Rory had a talk earlier, and the tension was just unreal..." Cheri sighed. "I'm worried, too. And it seems like Rory's friend Rin is in the same kind of trouble as Rory... I was never close to any of these people. In fact, I just met Etheai and Rin today. But I feel like I have to do something, you know?"

"Etheai is not a human, Cheri," Mrs. Margaret grinned. "Did you realize that?"

"I kind of figured," Cheri replied.

"I went to school with a boy like him, oh so long ago," she laughed a bit as if in reverie. Then, as if she realized the time, she popped up out of her sitting position and turned to Cheri, "Well, we should be getting to bed! I gather Rory's friend is sleeping in your room?" Cheri wondered how Margaret seemed to know everything. "I laid some blankets and a pillow over there," she pointed to the chair in the corner. "I hope you sleep well, dear," and she was on her merry way to her bedroom.

~~~*~~~*~~~

It was right around the hour after the crack of dawn and Cheri was once again wide awake. She didn't exactly sleep much to begin with, but she knew at this point that she couldn't. So, she climbed off the couch, folded up the old quilts she had used and stacked them neatly at the edge of the couch. She stepped into the kitchen and took an apple out of the fruit bowl on the counter and began munching on it. She was out the door about five minutes later.

There stood Etheai, staring solemnly out toward the forest. She watched him for a minute. He seemed like a completely different kind of person than she'd thought he was before. A few more moments passed before he turned, surprised to see her. His demeanor radically changed. "Oh!" He grinned really big and bit mischievously. A familiar grin, coming from him, only this time, Cheri knew it was totally fake. "Hey there, little girl," he laughed and almost looked as if he were refraining from patting her on the head. "I wasn't expecting to see you up so early."

"I couldn't get back to sleep. I'm surprised I didn't hear you walk out," she said. He then started stretching his arms. "What are you doing about so early yourself, anyway?"

"Oh, you know, exercise and stuff," he continued, now bending down and touching his toes.

"Cut the act, Etheai, I know you're only pretending," his actions seemed to slow for a minute, as if the reminder that he was faking every movement was a painful one.

"What are you talking about?" He looked up, laughing.

"Can you tell me the truth?" Cheri asked, remembering what Mrs. Margaret had said about Rory. And about Dean. "Mrs. Margaret's son, Dean, years and years ago, before she ever opened the boarding house, probably when I was just a little girl... He started acting like Rory has been. He started changing. And then, he suddenly left and didn't say anything to her. He never contacted her again, either... She told me that story a few times before. I just started putting bits and pieces of those stories together and realized some of the similarities with Rory myself. But she even said it felt like the same situation over again. Is that the same thing? Is Rory just going to end up leaving and never coming back?"

Etheai looked irritated for a moment, but then he turned to Cheri and gave his dazzling fake smile and said, "Walk with me." So the two of them started walking toward the city.

It was a long time before Etheai actually said anything. Cheri had started feeling awkward and shy, because she didn't know who in the world Etheai was. If he was always putting up a front, she would never know him, and thus never be comfortable with him. Finally, he broke his silence, only he spoke so quietly, Cheri really had to keen in on his words. "By now, you know for sure that I'm not human. Well, not completely anyway. My name is truly Etheai, that's not a lie, but my personality has pretty much been a cover from the beginning. I've been trying to keep people away. Especially people like Rory and that girl he was helping. They are dangerous to me."

"Why?" Cheri couldn't help but ask.

"For the very fact that I'm trying to save those people. They have Umbra inside of them. Unfortunately, on my quest, I've run into many like them, only witnessing from the sidelines, no one knowing anything about me, no one wanting to know, no one trusting me. I was merely a stranger in the distance. I've never confronted an infected person before the way I did with Rory. It was... difficult," he said, almost surprised. "If the Umbra find out what I'm doing, they will find a way to contact the ones who will certainly kill me," he laughed, but the look on his face plainly said that he was horrified, "or they will use their 'hosts' to kill me themselves. Either way, I will end up dying or trying very hard to stay alive. My quest is already difficult enough. I don't need them on my trail."

"What is your quest? And why are you telling me this, anyway? You wouldn't tell Rory, and it isn't exactly fair to tell someone who isn't too affected by all these happenings," Cheri was a bit baffled.

"Ah... well..." He searched for words. "For some reason... I trust you. You are the exact opposite of me. Even though you're shy, and you don't speak a lot, you are exactly you, inside and out. You're never hiding or pretending. You are honest, and I really admire that," Cheri felt her cheeks redden, but Etheai never looked at her, he just kept walking forward. "And it feels really good to get all this off my chest. It's like I feel a bit of the world's weight lifted from my shoulders... And as far as my quest goes... I'm obviously trying to help the people infected by the Umbra, before it really is too late. As we already know, I'm not completely human. My great-great-grandfather was from a race known as the Lyse, ancient adversaries of the Umbra. My father raised me on tales of the race, but my generation and even his generation grew up like normal human children. The way of life of the Lyse has died, because most of them, or 'us', were wiped out or taken over by the Umbra. When we got wind of the Umbra actively attacking people again, my father knew something had to be done... But he is very sick, very weak and frail. He sent me in his place to find an ancient Lysian artifact. Trouble is, it could be anywhere in the world, but one thing is for sure: where ever it is, there won't be Umbra or even people infected by Umbra."

"I remember learning a bit about the Lyse in school!" Cheri smiled. "They helped advance human technology!" She found something familiar about it. Etheai was surprised.

"Really? They taught that in school?" He was very curious.

"Well, it was newly discovered information from an excavation in this country. You know, old languages and stone tablet type things were found, and the race known as the Lyse were mentioned quite a bit in that particular ruined city. There were all kinds of linguists and archaeologists all over the case, and it was a big thing in the schools, too, since it was found in our country." Cheri watched Etheai's face brighten up. It was one of the few expressions she had seen that truly came from his heart.

"Where is this excavation site?" He asked, eagerly.

((LOL OMG NOVELA OF A POST :D *died* Zombie self: Two posts for the price of one~ :D))

Suno
(-.-)zzZ

Old 08-20-2010, 04:56 AM

Rory let himself fall upon his bed, on his back. He let out an exasperated sigh. This was a lot to take in... There was just so much to figure out... what was happening to him and to Rin? Who exactly was Etheai? He knew he was being taken over by this 'Umbra'- it was a simple thing when spoken, but what did that really mean?

He knew he was changing- that part was clear to everyone and anyone. He felt like he was being eaten up from the inside. Like he was losing himself. Although he was generally a private person, he still had his own personality, and lately he felt like it was breaking away from him, piece by piece- and falling out of reach.
Rory felt bad for treating Rin like she was just a child. Like she shouldn't have acted desperate like she did... really, he felt like giving her credit for trying to be a little stubborn by being persistent and not freaking out, which was what he initially felt like doing himself. He knew that, more than anything, he wanted to protect her. When he saw her like that earlier- coming from the forest- he felt much regret that she had stumbled across the same situation as he.

His thoughts eventually found their way back to what Etheai had told him. Hmph. Like he was going to ask around to see if anyone else felt like they were losing themselves. Sure, there were people in the world who felt like that, but Rory wouldn't count on it being because of this Umbra creature. But suppose he did find others like himself and Rin. Then what? If he couldn't help himself, how was someone else supposed to?
Etheai had mentioned that he would need rest. Rory hadn't been getting sufficient sleep as it was- and with each passing day, he felt more and more lost. It was slow and gradual, but he felt it without a doubt. Could it be that rest would help him fight it? Like the more strength he had, the more he could will it away? Keep it at bay? He could only assume. If that was the case, it would be a losing battle. Rory hadn't had anything that he could see was worth fighting for in a long time. It would be a struggle even to fight for himself.

He turned over on his side. Moonlight streamed through his cracked blinds. He closed his eyes, willing himself to go to sleep. Part of him didn't want to, for fear of what nightmares might invade his consciousness this time.

-------------

Rin didn't want to take Cheri's bed- she would have been fine with sleeping on the floor or something. She hadn't expected such readiness to comply. The girl came and left for downstairs before she could really say anything else. It would be foolish to insist otherwise anyway, for she had the feeling Cheri wouldn't take no for an answer. "Thank you, so do I." she said as Cheri walked out.

She stood silent for a moment, looking around her. The room was cute, uncluttered, and modest. It was fixed up nicely, though she could tell the girl didn't exactly live with much excess, which was something Rin never really recalled having either. It was almost comforting- that she could relate to this place, this person. Or what little she knew about her. She walked over to the window and undid the latch, cracking it just a bit. The faintest autumn breeze made its way inside. Rin inhaled deeply. There was nothing better than the smell of outside. It was one of the things she had grown quite accustomed to living in her cabin- the naked wooden walls around her seemed to house the smells of the outdoors rather than adapt to containing an indoor scent. She supposed the cabin got somewhat of a permanent draft of sorts, with air flowing in and out of the minute cracks between the logs and mortar.

Slowly sitting down upon the bed, Rin thought about what she had heard... and about how strange/curt Rory was being. It wasn't abnormal for him to be distant at times, but the way he treated her was almost robotic. She felt herself begin to worry. What am I going to end up like, if I really have one of those things inside of me? Who do I turn to for help?
Etheai had said that he couldn't provide any more information than he already had, so how was she supposed to get her answer? Presently, Rin felt okay- the pain was gone completely. She had no idea what to expect. Was she going to wake up a different person? A slave of the Umbra, trapped inside her own body? There were so many questions...
But that didn't stop her from falling into a deep sleep after a short while of laying on the bed, her boots still on her feet. She would have to find out... somehow.

---------------------------------

After a not-so-peaceful night of sleep (though filled with more peace than previous nights), Rory awoke to a lightening sky. He slowly sat up, scratching his head. Well, he actually felt rested... he wandered why. He yawned, going over yesterday's events in his head. Oh, reality. It sure knew how to bring a good ol whopping of dismay on the morning. The young man stood and trudged to his tiny bathroom to wash up.

A while later, he exited his room, not surprised to see that Etheai's door was open and no sign of him around. All was quiet. He looked over to Cheri's room. The door was cracked a few inches. He stood still for a moment, thinking of Rin- of how he treated her- like he didn't even care. He felt horrible. The remorse was enough to bring him to the door, peeking inside, though he knew it was a tremendous risk. She was in there, awake, to his surprise.

She sat on the window seat, gazing into the morning. She sat still for a long time as Rory watched, unnoticed. He almost smiled, beginning to remember when they were young- the trouble they would get into as kids. And even some of the drama they experienced as young teenagers. It was a nostalgic thing, to have her this close again. All previously displayed rudeness aside, Rory found himself glad that she was around. The familiarity was a comfort.

He entered the room quietly, though he didn't try to keep his steps silent. He wasn't trying to be unnoticed. Rin, however, didn't react right off anyway. She knew without looking behind her that it was him. She found herself wondering if he was going to tell her to leave or something. He stood out of her range of sight, looking out of the window for a while. Finally, he cleared his throat. "Rin", he started, his voice low. He stuck a hand in his pocket. "I'm sorry about the way I treated you last night. I didn't mean to disrespect you.." He almost began to shuffle, not knowing what to do next. She still didn't utter a word, only nodded once, still looking out the window.

Shortly thereafter, Rory exited the room, and headed downstairs, leaving her to herself.

Rin couldn't recall feeling this much anger and anxiety in a long time. She felt bad for not accepting Rory's sincere apology, but she let herself be too distracted by everything else to tell him it was okay and that she understood. She sighed. Now what? What was next? Would she go home? There was no one to stop her now. But what would she do once she got there? Go about living her life like she had been, relive another day the same as before?

No. She was changing. Even though she couldn't feel the effects yet, Rin felt like there was a timer inside of her- and only a matter of time before she would be gone, engulfed by this invader that was inside.

Last edited by Suno; 08-20-2010 at 01:25 PM..

heartages
⊙ω⊙

Old 08-20-2010, 02:24 PM

((OMG I LOVE THIS EXTRA MUCH~!! And I kinda meant that earlier that there are people who know about the Umbra who haven't been taken over or whatever. There kinda like those, "I was abducted by aliens!!" people, because no one believed them and everyone thought they were crazy. But I imagine that the Umbra horrify them somehow...))

Etheai was in an extremely good mood. For the first time in.... well, ever, he had a lead. There was an excavation site in the country approximately 100 miles away. It might take him a few hours to get there, but it was well worth the time and energy after months upon months of empty searching. His plan was to travel through the city, of course grabbing a bite to eat on his way through, and then head straight to the excavation site. And somehow, Cheri had become his 'sidekick'. She's going to be a great little helper, he chuckled to himself, but he was glad to have the company. He was tired of being alone.

"I know a place where we can get a vehicle to travel in," she beamed at him. She was really happy herself. It seemed to Etheai that Cheri lived to help people, and when she really helped someone out, it showed. She was glowing with happiness. Of course, Etheai felt like it was mostly his random and crazy dancing for joy display earlier that put her in that grand mood, but he could figure where the real source was.

"Fantastic!" Etheai pumped his fist up in the air. He was acting like a child, Cheri thought, but she enjoyed it. This person was much more pleasant than the guy she had met the day before.

~~~*~~~*~~~

Saye dressed in her favorite skirt for school that morning. "Sev'ro," she smiled as she looked down at the little trinket which was then hanging on a silver chain around her neck, "Let's make this fall semester better than last semester." And she walked out of her apartment door and traveled down the elevator.

When she stepped outside, it seemed to be a glorious day. The wind was just right, and she felt her self stopping to feel it flow against her, pulling the scent of autumn right to where Saye could almost taste it. It was a perfect moment. She had experienced so many perfect moments since she had come across Sev'ro. Then, as if on cue, after the wind completely died down, she felt a strange sensation. It was almost as if she could hear some kind of howling inside her mind, and she felt a cold, dark feeling wash over her. Her eyes widened, and she looked down at Sev'ro. The little trinket was trembling.

The trembling stopped as she saw two people getting out of a van up the street. "I don't know down town!" The girl said, as if complaining to the guy.

"Well, how am I supposed to know where we can go to eat?" He spat back at her, not really mad, Saye could tell he was really hungry. "You said you've been around here forever!"

"That doesn't mean I know the downtown area! I've never had any money, so I never went out to do things!" Cheri seemed distraught and sorry for the situation. Saye watched intently, not noticing that Sev'ro's trembling had ceased. A moment passed and she saw the guy stop dead in his tracks. He slowly looked up, directly at Saye. No, not at Saye.

Etheai stared at the girl, at the thing around her neck. He could hear it's whispers. And he looked across the wide city street. On the corner in the distance, a man was brought to his knees. And for the first time, he saw it. He saw the gas-like cloud of an Umbra seep out of the man, as though it were in a horrible pain. Etheai looked back at the girl and the trinket around her neck was shining brightly. Etheai knew what it was.

In his mind, he was already sprinting after the girl, and shouting after her. But he played it out enough to realize that she would run and probably scream and cause a scene.

Etheai stood still in his place on the sidewalk. Cheri stared at him, concerned, as though nothing at all had just happened around them. She hadn't seen it, and Etheai wondered for the first time if normal humans could see the Umbra when they change their form...

"Our quest to the great ruins, o partner," Etheai joked in a soft tone, "is on hiatus, Cheri," he never adverted his gaze from the girl. And the girl just stared back into his eyes. "See that girl over there? We have to find out everything we can about her. Because, you see that thing around her neck? We have to get that from her at all costs."