Tachigami
It's quiet, now.
Send a message via AIM to Tachigami

Old 01-16-2014, 11:29 PM

Connor copied Akai, shifting away the tray and giving it an ugly look. It was hard to begin getting used to the only-just-edible foods served in this place, though he was sure it had to be relatively edible, or everyone would be weak and irritable. And unhealthy. But he accepted one with a quick thanks, studying it as if it had a photo attached. His family did like to bake. After a bad day at school, or after recovering from an illness, his mother would sit him and his siblings down and make dozens of personal cakes, cookies, or loaves of bread that they could take to school when there were inevitably some left over.

Instead of eating it, Connor wrapped it in a napkin and slid it into his pocket. Akai's words weighed heavily on him, seemed to press down on his heart. He put his hand over Akai's, squeezing lightly. "We all miss our families... I miss mine too... I've never been so far away from them, and not for so long... But... I'd rather they be safe where they are. So I can do something to help here." He blinked hard, fighting the terribly sad wave that wanted to hit him.

NekoLen
Tachigami's Personal Slave

Penpal

Old 01-16-2014, 11:46 PM

Akai smiled at Connor, quickly holding the hand that rested on his own. He glanced around to see if anyone was looking before leaning forward, about to kiss the man. He stopped himself just in time and laughed restlessly, running his hand over his nearly bald head and leaning back in his chair. "Sorry, nearly got carried away..."

The tension he sensed between them was getting unbearable. "Hey, let's get out of here... I need to to have a look at these bruises..." And some other things as well, he wanted to add.

Tachigami
It's quiet, now.

Old 01-17-2014, 12:01 AM

All at once Connor's heart leapt into his throat. Shock, mostly, caught him off guard when Akai's lips briefly met his, sending momentarily stalled heart into a pounding frenzy. He should have expected it---Akai was straightforward and wasn't afraid to show it, something Connor just wasn't used to. When Akai spoke, however, he nodded. "Sure, good idea. I ought to, ah, check your knee, too. Make sure nothing got in the wound." He slid off the bench, stowing the envelope in his other pocket and accompanying Akai on somewhat weak legs to deposit their trays near the return leading into the kitchen---a walled-off area behind the buffet line.

The sky outside was already beginning to lose its light. Stars, however, had begun to take the sun's place, giving their own silvery glow to the sky that would eventually be cast down. The moon, unseen yesterday, was just a sliver in the sky, but somehow seemed huge and beautiful, a stark opposite of the small golf ball that was often seen in the city he grew up in. "I guess the evening view isn't too bad an exchange..." He muttered, staring up and trying to spy the stars as they appeared.

NekoLen

Penpal

Old 01-17-2014, 12:27 AM

"It's really something, isn't it?" he muttered, reaching over and finding Connor's hand. He held onto it tightly, bringing him closer to him. Everyone was in the mess hall and the few that weren't, would be in their own tents. No one would see the two walking towards the medical tents hand in hand. "I have a place to show you... I mean, if you don't want to go back to the tents."

Maybe Connor really did want to look at his leg and neck. Was Akai reading the man wrong? It would be reasonable to think that he only saw Akai as another soldier with wounds to take care of. He was taken, after all. Remembering the painfully formal letter addressed to Connor from his lover made him mad. He surreptitiously kicked a rock, getting rid of the rage that bubbled in the bottom of his stomach.

Tachigami
It's quiet, now.

Old 01-17-2014, 12:38 AM

He grasped Akai's hand a little tighter, almost reassuringly. Reassuring Akai that he wouldn't move back, perhaps? Connor's own mind wanted to apply logic to the situation but perhaps it couldn't. It was all unpredictable now. "I... wouldn't mind seeing that place." He replied lightly, glancing sideways at Akai. "Is it nearby?" Everything was within a relative walking distance. It just took a little more time to reach the farthest areas within the walls.

Connor watched the rock bounce across the ground and hit off a tent's side. "You okay, Akai? Seem a little... angry?" He bent his head a little, nudging Akai's shoulder a bit.

NekoLen

Penpal

Old 01-17-2014, 12:45 AM

"I'm just pissed you got stuck with some jackass. Not once, but twice." Akai sighed and shook his head. "Don't worry about it. It's not your fault, I just care too much for others... I guess." He grinned and turned away from the medical tents, leading him towards the hill he had climbed earlier that day. It was just passed the boundaries of the compound, so he hoped Connor wouldn't mind breaking the rules just a little bit.

"I climbed up here before, it has an amazing view," he explained as he walked towards the visible hill. "It's a bit out of bounds, but no one saw me when I went up there today. I'm sure they won't see when there's hardly any light." He came to the hill, and ducked under the wire fence that marked the boundaries of the compound. He waited on the other side for Connor, his hand outstretched.

Tachigami
It's quiet, now.

Old 01-17-2014, 01:12 AM

Connor bit his lip a little, glancing away. He just had bad luck with people. Most of the time. Akai was a stretch of good luck that he was more than happy to waste time with, and perhaps allow him to be the first to know Connor's plans with Mason. He wanted to tell someone. Anyone, really, that wouldn't brush it off. But for now his gaze fell on the hill and its flat top, and the ledges that wrapped around it an would probably make for a good place to sit. Akai had found this place? When...? Connor was surprised that he managed to sneak away at some point and climb up enough to see the top.

He followed Akai underneath the fence, grabbing his hand and pulling himself up. "I don't mind bending the rules a bit." He admitted, glancing back. There was a watch tower on the compound, but he doubted they'd bother with observing the hill. "It's not hurting anything, after all, is it?" He smiled, looking up at the hill. It looked steep, but he'd climbed plenty of extremely steep hills and various vertical walls.

NekoLen

Penpal

Old 01-17-2014, 01:18 AM

Akai took the lead, helping Connor where he needed it. He was exceptionally good at climbing, and had always loved to go rock climbing at the local gym. The sand made it slippery in places, but he made it to the top with relative ease. He helped pull Connor up and collapsed to the ground, panting slightly. The view was even better at night time, the star and moon reflecting of the distant ocean, making it seem like there were billions of stars close to the horizon.

"It's pretty up here, isn't it?" Akai asked once Connor sat next to him. "I didn't think we were so close to the ocean..."

Tachigami
It's quiet, now.

Old 01-17-2014, 01:31 AM

Connor rather quickly remembered his love of testing himself---the only thing he ever did when he was younger was climb and run, and the gyms in his city often had tall rock walls. But this was somewhat different. Being in a new place, with shifting sand and dirt under his feet and no harness, he relied on Akai in certain especially rough areas. At the top, he paused and leaned back against a relatively smooth stone, catching his breath and watching the moon.

He sat up when Akai took a seat beside him. "It is... amazing up here, I mean..." The distantly shimmering ocean seemed too perfect to be real. Devoid of humanity as if they were isolated from any corrupting being that would want to claim such perfect, untouched land for themselves. He caught his eyes watering and brushed his hands under them. "I just get... overwhelmed. At things that I can't really even describe. I've seen things like this in movies, or pictures... never in reality. Being here is so much different than just seeing it in a book or on a screen, y'know...?" He leaned sideways a bit, brushing his shoulder against Akai and showing him the envelope. "I... decided to end it. It's too much hassle. Too... stressful."

NekoLen

Penpal

Old 01-17-2014, 01:36 AM

Akai glanced sideways at the letter, knowing that it contained a heart break meant for Mason. He hoped Connor wasn't regretting it or thinking about not sending it. ''Why carry it with you?" he asked, staring out at the distant ocean. He had lived in a landlocked state and it was very rare for him to see it. He had only visited the beach once before, and now he wished it was even closer. What was over that expanse of water? His home and family? Or the enemy, plotting unknown plans? "I'm glad you are, Connor. He really doesn't deserve you."

Or was that jealousy talking? Akai didn't feel jealous at all. He hated to make others cheat on their lovers, but it happened occasionally. He just didn't feel right about it. "You got someone in mind...? To... You know... Be your next boyfriend?" He winked at the man, even if they were only illuminated by the moon and stars.

Tachigami
It's quiet, now.

Old 01-17-2014, 01:51 AM

He stared at the letter, smoothing it down. "I don't know why I'm carrying it..." Maybe he was carrying it because he was reassuring himself. Telling himself that the sooner he sent it, the better it would be. To speak, in a way, to Mason just as coldly as Mason spoke to him. "I know he... doesn't deserve me. Just hard to see it on my own." Akai had arrived just in time, Connor thought with a smile. Letting him see what he could have if he stopped trying to keep the feeble excuse for a partnership---a relationship---breathing.

He folded the letter and stuffed it in his pocket, disregarding the contents. In Connor's mind, Mason was finished. He didn't matter now. He didn't have to think about the man anymore. "I don't... know." He muttered. "Last time... before Mason, I mean... it took a long time to trust someone. I guess I've been a bad judge of character." He chuckled a little, taking his hair down and letting the breeze that was more present above the ground catch it. "Or just too quick to fall in with someone." He watched the water ripple lightly in the distance. Like a shifting mirror.

NekoLen

Penpal

Old 01-17-2014, 01:57 AM

Akai reached out, touching Connor's hair. It was so soft he wished he could nuzzle into it. He was actually glad that the man was able to keep his hair length. "Well, you should take your time with these things... I mean... Coming from someone like me, it must mean something." He laughed slightly and put his hand on Connor's, staring out to the ocean with him.

"It's so beautiful... You know... It kind of reminds me of your eyes," he said, turning to stare into the large reflective pools of Connor's. "I could swim in your eyes, they look so..." He sighed and then chuckled again, snapping his attention away. "You are still technically with him... Until you send that letter... If you were... single right now... I wouldn't hold back..."

Tachigami
It's quiet, now.

Old 01-17-2014, 02:19 AM

"Hm..." Connor nodded. He knew that. He knew he should take his time, but he wanted it over. He wanted Mason gone and wanted that wasted time back. But he couldn't get it back. Two years he should have used to figure out where he was, where he wanted to go. He looked toward Akai, pausing in his moment of observation. Dark eyes, like onyx. If he looked close enough, Connor could see pinpricks of starlight reflected back. But Akai's words carried a weight that made him look down a little, and his face grew warm, probably rather red, a shade that couldn't be seen in the relative darkness. "T-thanks..." How did he react to that? He'd never been complimented like that, and Akai seemed to be keen to do so.

"I'm sending it tonight. Putting it in the drop box that'll be collected in the morning. I don't want this to drag on forever, it's just not worth it. I've never heard a fraction of the things you say from him. It's not a healthy thing, a relationship that doesn't have... anything. I should have ended it before I left. He didn't even come to say goodbye." Connor sighed, leaning close enough to rest his head on Akai's shoulder, and closed his eyes. "... would have hated me getting close to him like this."

NekoLen

Penpal

Old 01-17-2014, 02:26 AM

"I can't understand why... Are you sure he is gay?" he joked, petting Connor as the man rested his head on him. "Maybe a straight guy pretending to be gay or something." He had never heard of it outside of bad comedy movies. He laughed at the thought, shaking his head. "I don't know why anyone wouldn't want to be close to you..."

He couldn't help himself any more, he couldn't stop the inevitable. He moved so he was facing Connor, and slowly came closer, his lips meeting the other's. It was incredibly romantic, kissing under the moonlight like they were. He couldn't help but to congratulate himself on that in his head as his hands slipped under Connor's clothes and explored his skin. He stopped before they got too serious, breaking apart his kiss regretfully and removing his hands.

"I'm sorry... I just couldn't help myself... You are just so..." He couldn't think of the right words so went quiet, looking down at the ground in between them.

Tachigami
It's quiet, now.

Old 01-17-2014, 02:56 AM

Was he sure? He was. Mason simply hated physical contact of any kind, but Connor had never discovered why. He didn't care, at this point. Whatever the reason, it was Mason's to inflict on another someday. He didn't have enough time to dwell on Mason---Akai didn't seem to want him to keep thinking about that negativity. He wanted to cling to Akai, make up for the wrongful years wasted with bad relationships or none at all. He wanted Akai's hand to keep exploring, and almost cried out his frustration when the soldier pulled back.

"N-no, Akai..." Connor went forward, grasping his hands. "Don't just... do that... Please..." He closed the distance that Akai had put between them,pressing his lips against his neck and breathing in the purely human scent. Something about it excited him, something about breaking the rules by being in a forbidden area, with someone that not only touched him, but liked to touch him, overloaded Connor's senses.

NekoLen

Penpal

Old 01-17-2014, 03:11 AM

"Do... What...?" he managed to ask before Connor came closer, kissing him back with the same amount of passion. Akai pushed him away and looked at him with a questioning glance. Should he do this? Connor could just be falling back on him after dumping his partner of 2 years. Maybe it was just the spur of the moment sort of thing. Akai would hate to take advantage of someone he actually was attracted to. "Are you sure about this? You're not rushing things?" he asked Connor seriously, keeping a hand on his chest.

Tachigami
It's quiet, now.

Old 01-17-2014, 03:26 AM

Connor grasped the hand keeping him just at bay, shaking what little sense he still had into his mind. The words held more care than Akai probably knew in that instant. He actually cared about how Connor felt in that moment and wasn't looking for instant gratification. The question rang in Connor's mind. Rushing things? For the last two years he felt as if he were slogging through a tar pit and now someone thought he was rushing? "I'm not." He promised. "I swear. I never do this... It's different of me, maybe, but I know what I want right now. You're not some... rebound after a hard time... You're worth more than he ever was... you care more in a few days than he ever did in two damn years... There's something in you... it sounds like an old movie line that hasn't worked for... decades, but... it's true." He brought Akai's hand away from his chest, pressing his lips against his curled fingers lightly.

NekoLen

Penpal

Old 01-17-2014, 03:33 AM

Grinning, Akai winked at Connor. "That's exactly what I wanted to hear." He embraced the man and showed him just how much he loved him. Even though they did only just meet yesterday, it truly was love at first sight. Akai knew that, for once, he hadn't fallen for a bad person. Connor was beautiful, both his looks and his personality, and Akai was glad to finally be able to do what he wanted to do the moment he laid eyes on him.

He had no idea how much time had past when they finally rolled apart, laying on their backs and staring up at the sky. The moon was high in the sky and the compound below was dark and silent. Akai turned his head to look at Connor, still in disbelief that he was able to do that with him. "That was amazing. I can't say I've done... That on the edge of a cliff before." He had noticed how close their rolling had got them to the edge, and laughed at the thought of them tumbling down the sand dune doing what they were doing.

Tachigami
It's quiet, now.

Old 01-17-2014, 04:51 AM

Connor nearly melted, falling into Akai's arms and allowing him to do whatever he liked. He didn't really believe in the concept of love at first sight, rather, considering it an immediate attraction based solely on appearance, and he was glad Akai had smiled at him the day before. Though somehow Connor was sure he would have attached rather strongly to him even if he had missed the initial first-impression moment.

Now his eyes caught the stars, but found them rather dim in comparison to his current company. Smiling a little, he turned to face Akai and crept to his side a little closer, cradling his head in his hand and looking down at Akai. "You can now." He said lightly, finding himself smiling a bit more as time went on. "I've never been so adventurous. Better now than never, though, wouldn't you say? Even if there's a risk of bug bites or dirt in uncomfortable places..." Or being found. But they were far enough away, certainly, not even the night watch would see them sneak back into the compound.

NekoLen

Penpal

Old 01-17-2014, 07:46 AM

Akai couldn't stop grinning now. He hugged the man closer to him and enjoyed the feel of skin on skin. "Can't be getting sandy butt cheeks," he said quietly, with a laugh. He went quiet, listening to the far off chatter of exotic birds. It seemed that some of the wildlife out here were more awake during the coolness of the night than the day. As he thought this, a strange glowing insect scuttled by his outstretched arm.

He recoiled slightly and sat up, peering behind a small boulder to try and see what it was. A small scorpion sat behind the rock, its strange exoskeleton glowing green under the light of the full moon. "Er... I think it's getting late..." he said, looking back at Connor. He wished they could sleep together under the light of the moon and stars, but he did have to get up at 4am again, and they both had letters to write.

Tachigami
It's quiet, now.

Old 01-17-2014, 08:08 AM

Connor breathed in, smelling the world and laughing at what Akai said despite himself. He did have a point, after all, and spending too long in the shower house trying to get that evasive soil would become suspicious. He watched the faraway water and for a moment considered what this meant. He'd never fallen in with someone so immediately, though he was easily smitten with one's appearance. It had been that way with Mason, and the result had been dull and stressful. This was obviously different. Better.

He sat up and stretched when Akai did, looking after what had startled him. Just a small scorpion; Connor laughed a bit, glancing back at Akai. "You're right, it's pretty late..." Glancing at the moon, he could consider it to be near midnight, if not already passing midnight. "Wouldn't want your abilities to be dulled, would we? Especially not your sniping prowess." He smiled, making a note to get up early in the morning to watch Akai. Gathering his shirt, Connor dusted it off and slid it on, checking his pocket and finding his phone. It could easily be bumped enough to turn off, though with a small poke of the display it lit up brightly. "Yeah, pretty late..." He grimaced. "Hope we can get in without the night watch catching us..."

NekoLen

Penpal

Old 01-17-2014, 08:16 AM

"Of course we can," Akai replied easily, grabbing his clothes and pulling them on before holding Connor's hand and leading him down the hill and back into the compound. They got back inside with no hassles and Akai walked his new lover back to where the medical staff slept. Their tents looked nicer and a lot more private than the ones Akai had to sleep in. "I'll see you tomorrow...?" he said, giving Connor a kiss on the lips and a quick hug. "Same place, same time." He meant the mess hall at lunchtime, though he wouldn't have minded another night with Connor like tonight.

He said goodbye and wandered back to the barracks, going to his bed and finding his letter writing kit and torch. He wrote a long letter to his parents, placing it in an envelope and addressing it. He would take it in to the drop off box in the morning, after the daily jog around the compound. He had written everything that had happened to him since the last letter he wrote, about being moved to Africa and meeting Connor. He hoped his parents would like him. He turned off the torch when he was done, crawling under his sheets and falling asleep instantly.

Tachigami
It's quiet, now.

Old 01-17-2014, 08:26 AM

Connor found the way down was a lot easier than the way up. Sliding a little here and there on unseen patches of loose dirt or sand, he and Akai made it to the bottom of the hill easily and slid back in without the night watch catching them anywhere near the fence He still felt rather reluctant to leave Akai's side---a good sign, he was sure---but nonetheless bid him goodnight and crept to the door to the tent. Connor had no idea how light a sleeper Remmy was, and knew he couldn't easily explain away his still rather dusty clothes. But he got in without the door creaking, sitting at his table and bringing out a battery-lit lantern, setting it on the table and digging in his pants pockets. In one was the cookie he had had since dinner, and curiously, it was in two rather whole-looking pieces instead of crumbs. The letter to Mason was bent a little more than it had been, but that was a given.

Setting it down, he pulled one of his notebooks and his grandfather's fountain pen from the corner of the table and began writing to a song of gentle snoring from Remmy's side of the tent. He felt more content now than he'd been in a long time, the stress of being shipped overseas cut now with a sense of apprehension of seeing Akai again. In his letter he admitted to his problems with Mason, hoping his parents could understand why the man may soon pay them an angry visit with a tangent about their son, but neglected to mention Akai so soon. Before he ended the letter he paused, hand hovering over the lines, thinking about whether to do so. He wanted to, of course. He could already fill a page with what he adored about the man. But perhaps his parents would find him reckless. With a sigh, he closed the letter, sealing it in its envelope and falling into bed with his clothes still on. He didn't have the energy to get up and turn the lantern off, and in what felt like an instant was falling away from the conscious world.

NekoLen

Penpal

Old 01-17-2014, 08:41 AM

Akai slept peacefully, dreaming about the night's events with Connor. He was roused by the trumpet at 4 in the morning, only a few hours after he had fallen asleep. He groaned as he rolled out of his bunk, sleepily preparing for the morning inspection. He glanced over to where Weasel usually slept and felt happy to see an empty bunk. It hadn't taken them long to discharge him for the assault on Akai yesterday.

After the inspection, he joined the others for the daily jog around the compound, glancing up at the medical tents and buildings whenever he passed. He thought he saw Connor watching him, but he couldn't be too sure in the dim dawn light. They finished after an hour and Akai gratefully had a shower, before dropping his letter off in the box and digging into his porridge at the mess hall. After breakfast, he was called over to the sergeant responsible for teaching the snipers. The small group all looked at him in interest and awe. It felt good to have others look at him with such respect instead of hate.

The rest of his morning consisted of rigorous training and shooting practice with the other snipers. He learnt about how to deal with wind, weather and other elements that made shooting preciously difficult. Soon they would be learning how to hit moving targets. Akai was happy to get away, and went to the mess hall straight away, looking out for Connor.

Tachigami
It's quiet, now.

Old 01-17-2014, 08:53 AM

Early in the morning Connor woke in a confused, fuzzy state of mind. Between that moment and the next time he awakened, he was sure he had stood up to look outside and see who he could pick out from the runners. From the distance, he could only see shapes of varying sizes, and sighed, crawling back under his sheet and curling up. It seemed as if he were immediately dropped back into his dream of Akai and the ocean. But this time it was closer, and instead of on the ground, they were on a dock. He only woke up when something soft fell on him, and made him sit bolt upright. Remmy was staring at him. "Nightmares?" The blonde asked, squinting at him from his bed.

"N...nightmares...?"

"Yeah. You were making a pretty good racket."

Connor pursed his lips as if he had eaten something sour. "Uh. Yep, nightmares!" He threw Remmy's pillow back at the man and turned over, staring at the tent wall. "Baaaad nightmares, that's what those were." Connor never thought himself a dream-talker. He had never been told of instances, at least. Hopefully that wouldn't become a prominent thing, though. As Remmy moved around the area, he curled up, waiting for the aftermath of the dream to ease and for Remmy to leave him alone. He did, but just in time for Connor's phone to alert him of a medical issue. He groaned, rolling over and grabbing it. The color code was a simple layer from low-level emergencies to urgent. And it was colored green. Sitting up, Connor put his hair back and stood, pushing his way outside and going to his tent. It was still somewhat early.