Cherry Who?
Spooky Scary Skeleton

Old 01-16-2012, 06:24 AM

Yep, I got mine at Walmart. Their selection is tiny, but both of the ones I visited had TFiOS and as far as I know, most Walmarts are carrying it right now. Sams had it too, but no Hanklerfishes. My local B&N had it too, but they were charging full list price. I'd really like to support them, but... I can't really afford that. :( The walmarts and sams were charging $11-12, and I had a giftcard. I feel bad about it, but... I'm unemployed, not much I can do right now.

Knerd
I put the K in "Misspelling"

Assistant Administrator

Old 01-17-2012, 03:57 AM

I added you on Goodreads, Facade. :)

And if anyone hasn't added me yet, I'm on there too! I try to keep my account as up to date as possible, so I check it allmost every day and have a fair number of reviews up.

Facade
Ticking Time Bomb of Titillation

Old 01-17-2012, 05:55 AM

I'm too lazy to review. :gonk:

I've always forgotten 99% of the books I've read over the past... six years? :sweat:

I haven't had much time to leisure read over the past two years, but I used to steal/borrow/etc. tons of my friends' books before then and quickly lost count of what I had read and when it was read. :P

My list is pathetically meager, but I'm making a concerted effort to change that! :rofl:

Kamikaze Kendra
Music Guru

Penpal
Send a message via AIM to Kamikaze Kendra

Old 01-17-2012, 06:04 AM

Alright Facade and Knerd, just added both of you!
I haven't been keeping up with it much at all the past few years... but I'm going to try to remember it now. :D

Mine is here if anyone else wants to add me.

Cherry Who?
Spooky Scary Skeleton

Old 01-17-2012, 07:22 AM

I added you too, Knerd!

I only joined the site about two weeks ago and I haven't used it loads, but I'm going to try to use it a bit more. Anyone who would like to add me can do so here. I haven't written any reviews yet, but I might if I read a book that strikes me. Right now I'm just reading the Harry Potter series, and I don't think I have anything to say about the books that hasn't already said, so no reviews are really necessary there. I'll need to skim other goodreads reviews to see what sort of review is generally expected of the community.

Knerd

Assistant Administrator

Old 01-17-2012, 02:49 PM

Hooray for new friends!

Goodreads has so many options for interactions and organizing your library. When I first joined the site, I took part in a couple different communities on there and browsed the forums for recommendations. It got me a lot of friends and great book ideas. They really have groups for everything you could imagine - the 50 Book Challenge, favorite genres and authors, people in the same profession, fan fic, you name it.

Iltu
do you think pigeons have feelin...

Old 01-17-2012, 06:25 PM

Kendra, Facade, and Cherry, I added you guys! Anyone I'm not friends with can add me, I love seeing what people are reading. :yes:

I'm probably not as active on Goodreads as I should be. I try to keep what I'm reading up to date, but I don't really write reviews or get involved in the community as much as I really ought to.

Knerd

Assistant Administrator

Old 01-19-2012, 11:39 PM

I just started reading Ender's Game today and I can tell already - I'm going to finish this fast. :lol:

I've heard it described as "Harry Potter with only Quidditch," and so far that's a pretty accurate statement.

Cherry Who?
Spooky Scary Skeleton

Old 01-19-2012, 11:49 PM

Let us know how it is! I'm curious. :)

Knerd

Assistant Administrator

Old 01-20-2012, 12:16 AM

Sure will! It's exciting so far and I'm really pulled into it. I'm expecting lots of action-packed violence to start happening soon.

By the way, you look...pretty. :lol:

Kamikaze Kendra
Music Guru

Penpal

Old 01-20-2012, 03:20 AM

Knerd - I'm definitely excited to hear what you think about that one, I've been thinking about reading it for a while myself and just haven't due to a lack of feedback from people whose opinions I value. :)

Cherry - I seriously just choked over your crazy cat lady avi! I love it!

Cherry Who?
Spooky Scary Skeleton

Old 01-20-2012, 04:18 AM

Thank you both. :lol: *primps*

Lost in Austen
(。⌒∇⌒)&...

Old 01-20-2012, 03:50 PM

My book club is reading Ivanhoe this time around, which is gonna be taking up a lot of my reading time. I should probably put it into my list somewhere so I'll feel more accomplished about finishing, cuz you know, marking something off a checklist is very a satisfying feeling! But I'm afraid that if I keep adding book club choices to this list, I'll never get through the ones I put on the list. *going slightly mad*

I might need to steal one of your cats, Cherry!

Cherry Who?
Spooky Scary Skeleton

Old 01-21-2012, 07:21 AM

But I raised them from puppies!

Lost in Austen
(。⌒∇⌒)&...

Old 01-21-2012, 11:07 PM

Haha. Well when they grow up to be fine, healthy lemurs then I shall adopt one of them.

Cherry Who?
Spooky Scary Skeleton

Old 01-21-2012, 11:55 PM

Maybe if they ever have joeys of their own I'll give you one of them.

Have any of you won any books from the giveaways hosted on Goodreads? I've entered a few now and I won a book already! :) It's called Iron City. Looks interesting. I've entered a bunch more giveaways. I can't afford to buy new books that often, so it's usually just down to what I can find at the thrift stores. A few giveaways would be a nice supplement!

Kamikaze Kendra
Music Guru

Penpal

Old 01-22-2012, 08:01 AM

Hold the phone... they have giveaways on Goodreads?
Apparently I haven't explored that site as in depth as I should... because free books are never a bad thing!

Iron City sounds really interesting after reading the description.

Cherry Who?
Spooky Scary Skeleton

Old 01-22-2012, 07:05 PM

Yep! Scroll over "explore" at the top of the page, and "giveaways" is the second or third thing down. They've got a ton, so I recommend going through the ones that are ending soonest, you'll miss a bunch if you go through any other way since you can't really do it in one sitting (unless you have no plans for the rest of the day, I guess :lol: )

And I just won yet another book! Agorafabulous. Really happy I won that one, it looks very interesting. I'm really interested in psychological stuff, and I love a good memoir, so hopefully this will be a great read.

Knerd

Assistant Administrator

Old 01-22-2012, 07:48 PM

I've won a couple books from them too. I never remember to check back every week, so it ends up being a book here and there. It's always a great surprise! :yes:

I got The Bells, The Myth of Choice, and Iraq Through a Bullethole from them.

Cherry Who?
Spooky Scary Skeleton

Old 01-23-2012, 12:40 AM

Nicely written reviews. :)

Knerd

Assistant Administrator

Old 01-23-2012, 12:51 AM

Aw, thanks!

I finished Ender's Game today too. I really liked it. It's a pretty strange book since so much of it is based around incredibly young children (starting at the age of 6) and is mostly about playing a form of video games, but Card manages to write all about it while keeping you invested in the characters. It's exciting to watch the power plays between Ender and the others. Everything reflects back to military tactics and finding a way to influence your enemy without them knowing so.

The ending is a little expected if you've read a lot of science-fiction, but it's written in a way that still makes you wonder what's going to happen next. All in all, 4/5 stars. :)

Kamikaze Kendra
Music Guru

Penpal

Old 01-23-2012, 04:37 AM

And now I know how I'm spending the rest of my evening... other than finishing Mockingjay and maybe reading more of A Feast for Crows. Haha. Some of those books sound super interesting.

Oh wow, that does sound like it has potential! I may have to check it out. It is a part of a series, right? Will you be continuing it?

Knerd

Assistant Administrator

Old 01-23-2012, 04:53 AM

Yeah, there are a bunch more books associated with it. Some were written by Card and I think that some are knock-offs that others wrote about the more minor characters.

I probably won't keep going with the series, though. I've heard some...not so pleasant reviews about them. :sweat:
I've got a lot of other books that I'm excited about right now. I just put about 15 more novels on my Kindle! I'm too anxious to get through more of these that I just wouldn't have the patience to stick with a series for very long right now. :lol:

Kamikaze Kendra
Music Guru

Penpal

Old 01-23-2012, 05:25 AM

Ah, I didn't realize that some of the others had separate authors.

Really? That's good to know. I've only really heard people talk about the original novel and hadn't really looked into further reviews.
That's exciting! Anything particularly interesting that you've added recently?

I get what you mean. I think after I finish up aSoIaF (at least to current) I'll be done with series for a while unless it's a re-read.

Cherry Who?
Spooky Scary Skeleton

Old 01-23-2012, 07:04 AM

Oh, speaking of spotty series... The other day I was looking up the rest of the His Dark Materials trilogy, and I saw some very mixed reviews for The Subtle Knife. Have any of you read it, and if so, what are your thoughts on it? Am I best just leaving off with The Golden Compass? I mean, clearly it didn't finish the story, but I'm okay with just leaving it at that if the quality takes a sharp drop off after it.