Staria
\(@O@)ʌ...

Penpal

Old 12-08-2012, 05:07 AM

The World of Saurali

For thousands of years the world of Saurali has been filled with magic.... and an eternal struggle to keep that power balanced. For this purpose a group of mages who were tired of seeing those with no magic ability being pushed around by those with them banded together. Due to their habit of dressing in an easily recognized strange garb that hid their faces and sparkled slightly from the magic the mages filled it with they would be called the 'Crystal Mages'.

Two hundred years ago, however, one of their own turned against them. Some say he was possessed by a dark spirit from within the planet of Saurali itself, some say he just wanted power and accidentally released such a spirit but no one really knows for sure. All they do know is the Crystal mages were decimated and few survived even the initial attack. With nothing to stop the darkness from spreading it soon took over the planet.

The dead rose to life and become strange hideous creatures of black sludge supported by bone. They appeared to have no weakness even to most magic attacks. Soon, however, one of the Crystal Mages discovered the strange sludge was easy to set ablaze and the fire would burn hotter then any substance on earth until the creature was destroyed. The spirit trapped within would also be purified and released.

The darkness was not so easily defeated, however, as it caused the corpses to form together into one so that no mage could produce enough flame to set it alight without being consumed themselves. In desperation the mages turned to prayer and visions and soon succeeded in finding their saviors. They found a world in another dimension filled with flying beasts called dragons who could breath fire. One of them would give his life to bring them from that world to Saurali and his apprentice would stand at the ready to welcome the new comers to her world. She prays that they can save her world but knows that the darkness is not so easily defeated...

The People of Saurali

The people appear fairly 'human' despite their innate magical ability but with slightly different coloring that gives them a rather 'ethereal' look. Their skin is pale with only the tiniest hint of peach, making it almost snow white in appearance and easily confused as white at a glance. This is likely due to Saurali's sunlight being far lower then most, and the paleness being needed to get the vitamin D in proper quantities. Their hair, however, is slightly darker in shade yet reflects light easier so many shades have an almost metallic hue. It is most noticeable in the lightest shades of hair they have which is a dark golden blond that looks metallic gold in most lights or the more red tinted metallic copper. Their other shades are various reds and dark browns as well as a black color. Unlike most of the other hues the black tends to reflect a more silver sheen then a gold. The texture of their hair is silky and soft but it seems to retain heat easier as well. Their most obvious physical distinction, however, is their eyes. They can be of any shade of the rainbow except white. If you can imagine a color there is likely a Sauralian with that color of eyes, though the most common colors are shades of reds/pinks, purples, and blues. Greens and browns are not uncommon, however.

Their cultures are many and varied but one thing exists in all of them. Due to their pale skin and the natural darkness of the planet they tend to wear brightly colored clothing. This makes it easier to tell where the cloth begins and the people begin. It is also common to keep their hair pinned up as it makes their brightly colored eyes all the more visible, color being prized among the Saurali. The crystal mages robes are a white most likely because of this, so that they would be easily identifiable as well as keeping the cloth free of dyes and other influence to symbolize purity of purpose. The slight shine is actually from the protective spells cast on the cloth. At one point, and in fact for most of their history, magic was considered in a positive light but due to recent events most magic has grown to be thought of as a dark, profane art.

Ironically the use of runes is common and still accepted. This may be because most of their technology depends on it and due to the natural innate magic of the Saurali it is easy for them to activate or de-activate runes with little training. The runes also are very similiar to their natural alphabets so generally do not require much teaching. Their technology mainly consists of floating platforms that are used to move people or lift heavy objects, to light rooms much like a modern day lamp would, as well as power small fire starter devices and the like.

Last edited by Staria; 12-09-2012 at 12:51 AM..

Staria
\(@O@)ʌ...

Penpal

Old 12-08-2012, 05:07 AM

The Place of Sacrifice

The plains of Zeusury were a flat, seemingly empty place except for a long mountain chain that ran through it and its many ruins. The ruins were composed of gray white stones and said to once belong to an ancient culture and nearly glowed with a magic few understood but many believed must be the reason the ancient people disappeared. Yet, one of their most sacred places would be where magic would hopefully bring the saviors of the world. It was the ultimate irony if these myths were true.

Why Bethany and her teacher chose this spot was simple, however. The two Crystal Mages could sense the power in the stones and that this was the place where the lines between dimensions was most blurred. The ruin was likely a prayer circle of some sort, with intricately carved ‘towers’ of stones sat in a circle around a simple altar. The carvings seemed to tell some sort of story but no one had been able to decipher them as yet despite their beauty and detail.

What sat on the altar, however, was not so beautiful. A man had shouted a spell moments earlier before stabbing himself in the chest with a mystical dagger. His once perfect body lay in a heap on the stone, the flesh and muscle burning away slightly from the powerful light exploding from the wound. Blood poured down the altar’s sides and the smell of burnt flesh was in the air as the column of light extended into the sky. The ancient magic of the ruins began to awake, the carvings glowing red as they pulled the life’s blood into them.

Soon that same light was pulsing through every carving and began to turn a soft blue. The light traveled from column to column until a silvery blue thread tied each together. The body disappeared in a flash of blue white fire that consumed it and a streak of light flew towards the heavens. The points on each stone ‘tower’ released a similar streak before meeting to form one blue ball of light where all the light soon disappeared into before exploding.

The explosion left a giant circle in the sky that appeared to be a glowing blue cloud with purple lightening flashing through it. From this the dragons would enter this world, a pulse of magic released from the stones every few hours to try and call some more. One life to save all, a simple exchange to the ruins but more to the one watching.

Staria
\(@O@)ʌ...

Penpal

Old 12-08-2012, 05:08 AM

The Guide of Heros

To Bethany it was not a simple exchange to watch that strong chest so violated, those strong arms fall limp. Her safe place had been those arms once, when she had been a child. Her teacher, you see, had also been her older brother. Now he was simply…..gone. He was gone… Still even as she wanted to cry she could nearly hear his voice whisper, ‘My little girl, be strong.’ The words he had said before the spell, words she knew she could never forget. She would be strong. She would not cry.

She allowed herself a single tear before composing herself, a good tear to hold all her emotion for what had been to her the perfect man. She reached up then as her face seemed to become as empty and stony an expression as the very rocks around her, slender fingers pulling up her white hood. She turned her head skyward, her now ice cold eyes fixed on the spot. She was the only living thing for miles in this desolate place so the riders would hopefully naturally go towards her for an explanation….

((appearance coming soon >.>))

Drakina
*crashing sound* oops... I drop...

Old 12-08-2012, 06:26 AM

~Hurry, I am starving!~

"I'm almost there, I had to get my boot out from under the bed!" A'den said, running out of his room and to the small-ish brown dragon waiting at the ledge. He snagged his goggled off a shelf as he passed, then took a leap up to Aborenth's leg, grabbing the saddle as soon as he could reach it. Climbing up and settling in the seat, he quickly strapped the goggles over his blue-green eyes, brushing the ends of auburn hair out of his way. He grinned, patting the dragon's neck. "Okay, let's go! Are we hunting in the mountains again?"

~Yes, the wherry there tastes better.~ The brown launched himself into the air, gaining altitude and space before preparing for the jump Between. Both rider and dragon visualized the low peak they were so fond of, with it's mantle of forest and bare cap. A breath in, and sudden darkness enveloped them both.

No sensation. Then... something in the darkness. Lightning? But nothing was in Between. How could there be lightning? And such a strange color, too. Panic filled the both of them, and back at Bendan Weyr the dragons started keening the loss of a brother.

Suddenly they were out of it, gliding over unfamiliar ruins with a blue and purple patch of sky behind them. Aborenth turned, frantically casting around with both mind and eye, looking for something familiar around them. ~I do not know where we are. Is this the place dragons go when they do not return from Between?~

"I don't know," A'den said, also staring at the hopelessly unfamiliar features below them. If it was the place dragons go when they miss, he didn't know if he wanted to be here. "Can you hear any other dragons?"

~None, though I think I see someone on the ground.~ The brown turned his head to look at his rider with greyed yellow eyes. ~We are not alone, at the least.~

KageShio
Warning: Unrestrained Audiophile

Old 12-08-2012, 08:53 PM

Gripping the leather of the harness under him, K'ane let out another whoop as his dragon partner dove and twisted into a tight spiral high above the trees, the smaller than average, but highly agile creature shimmering green-blue in the morning light. Gasping for air as they leveled, the tanned man grinned so wide his cheeks nearly hurt and gave a loud, boyish laugh. "Come on, N'Teirath, let's try the new one once more before breakfast!" He said as he reached forward to pat her warm hide with a rough hand.

~You nearly plummeted to the ground last time.~ The green's cool voice rang though his head, a nearly scolding tone edging her words.

"No, you caught me, didn't you? Come on, just once more, please?" He said as he leaned forward as far as the harness would let him, his pleading causing the dragon to give a rumbling laugh, but send him a mental sigh.

~ Alright, alright, but quickly, I am getting hungry~ She agreed, her defeated tone belied by her eyes shimmering to a light blue once more.

Grinning again, K'ane nodded and settled back in the harness again. "You and me both. So, let's do this!" He said, giving another shout as his partner quickly responded by darting forward with powerful wing beats. Once they built up speed, the graceful green quickly angled up and started to arc backwards in a large loop. As she reached the peak of the circle, her small rider unclasped the harness from his belt, closed his eyes for a moment, then let go to free fall downward.

Seconds stretched, and with nothing but the wind and his own heart in his ears, K'ane simply grinned, his breath taken away by the speed of his fall. It ended all too soon though as N'Teirath curved under him and he tucked up, tumbling in midair to get his feet under him. A numbing shock ran through his body from his legs as his boots made contact with the harness and he let out a gasp as he reached to cling to the leather straps.

~Are you alright?~ N'Teirath sent, worry clear in her voice as she tried to glance back towards him. K'ane just blinked for a moment before bursting into laughter as he looked to find himself backwards on the saddle.

"I'm fine! That was nearly perfect, I just have to work on the landing more. But first, breakfast. Come, Jvet!" He said, calling his brown fire-lizard to them from the trees as he carefully and slowly turned himself, clinging to the sturdy leather beneath him. Once he was strapped in again and Jvet was safely tucked against his chest, he gave a nod and they picked up speed again before entering the chill of the Between.

Upon leaving the void, N'Teirath gave a low, soft growl. ~Something is not right, K'ane.~ She sent as she banked, turning to survey the plains below them with vivid, yellow-green eyes. Jevt wriggled and gave a chirp as he tried to look around them, only to duck back down and cling to his master again.

"I can see that.... Where in Pern are we?" He asked as he reached to stroke the frightened fire-lizard, sharp green eyes looking over the strange glowing stones and lights. That is, until his attention was brought to another dragon in the air with them. "Wait- who is that?"

~I do not know, I have never seen them before.~

"Then let's find out." He responded, warily looking down to the strange pillars once more before waving in an attempt to hail the brown and his rider.

Last edited by KageShio; 12-08-2012 at 10:38 PM..

Staria
\(@O@)ʌ...

Penpal

Old 12-08-2012, 09:39 PM

Bethany began to chant softly, a complex but beatuiful sounding spell in the ancient tongue Crystal Mages used for such things. She also made a few hand gestures and soon a stone staircase formed. It lead up to the cliff and she would soon climb them as she headed upwards. She figured it would get the dragon rider's attention at any rate. In their world it had appeared to her that the dragons were the only creatures with anything akin to magic or psychic powers so it seemed an efficient way to get attention. She knew this from her dreams. She was a 'seer' as some called it here, a gift said to be from the gods as it could not be learned by force or mimicked by a spell. This was the reason that her brother had died instead of her, the gift may be needed he had said.

"I am sure you are wondering why you are here, I can tell you good warriors....." She said in the same voice of power as one did their spells here. It was a learned ability, to tap into the power of a chant without using a chant and allowed one to make their voice project far further and louder then it should. She was especially apt at this ability so they would hear her voice in it's usual soft tones, touched by the slight musical accent all Sauralians had, next to their ears instead of booming over the land like thunder. She waited then for their reaction, appearing outwardly calm.

Before the last civil war they had been nobles, her family that is, so she focused on that background to keep her calm. Never appear weak but always appear graceful and elegant. It was nearly the motto of her family so every movement, every action, every thought was taught to be controlled from childhood. It was ironic really... that her family disowned she and her brother for deciding to join the crystal mages and abandon the family political scene yet their teachings always came in handy so often. It had allowed them to learn the ways of magic much easier as well.... As it did now. She pushed away her emotions and simply focused on the teachings. Straight back, even calm breaths, perfect expression, each movement full of grace...

Drakina

Old 12-08-2012, 09:58 PM

Aborenth turned in his flight, heading towards the ruins when another dragon suddenly appeared through the portal. They were no longer alone! ~Greetings!~ The brown called out to the smaller green, changing course again to get closer to them.

"Oh, well, that's a relief, I think," A'den said, brushing his hair out of his face again. "Maybe we know them, that would be great."

~They are unfamiliar to me. Calm down.~ Aborenth looked back at his rider again, eyes less grey than before. He suddenly looked down, though, movement where the person was standing catching his eye. A'den followed his gaze, in time to see the stairs appear and someone climb up them. That was strange enough, but the suddenness of her voice in their ears was almost too much.

"Shards and Shells, I don't think we're on Pern anymore!" A'den shouted, eyes widening.

KageShio
Warning: Unrestrained Audiophile

Old 12-08-2012, 11:49 PM

~Greetings.~ N'Teirath sent with respect towards the large male, following his movements to align her flight with his. Before they could though, the cliff below them moved as if by itself- the figure who had been standing in the circle of stone pillars now climbing the stairs that had formed from the sheer rock. Balking in surprise, she reeled back a bit, jostling her rider.

"Shards! N'tier- " K'ane started, his words cutting off as a woman's voice called to him. He turned, startled as he glanced around. It sounded as if she were right beside him! But, that would be impossible... looking down to the slow, graceful figure, his eyes narrowed. He did not like this one bit, but his gut told him this was something important. Glancing to the brown rider, he tried to see what the other man was doing, hoping maybe he knew what was going on. Unfortunately, the man seemed even more panicked than he was. Sighing a bit, be watched the woman and the other rider for a bit longer, debating on the next move.

"What do you think, N'Teirath?" He asked, leaning forward a bit to touch her neck.

~I think we have little choice but to go to her. At the very least, we can find out how we got here, and perhaps how to get home.~ The slim green answered, slowly circling over the cliff and plain, eyes glued to the strange woman below.

After giving a nod and another few moments of thinking it all over, he gave the signal and they spiraled downward to the wide plateau, gracefully landing behind the calm woman. Quickly unclasping his belt, K'ane slid down off the harness, nimbly landing on his feet as Jevt took off chirping and hissing slightly before landing on the harness and peering at the strange woman from over the straps.

"Hail... I am K'ane, and this is N'teirath." He said, holding up a hand in greeting and tilting his head towards the dragon beside him. "By what name do you go by?" He asked politely, though his eyes still watched her cautiously.

Last edited by KageShio; 12-08-2012 at 11:54 PM..

Staria
\(@O@)ʌ...

Penpal

Old 12-09-2012, 12:10 AM

"You would be correct. This is a world called Saurali, I am called Bethany." The mage responded to them both, her voice still enchanted to carry to the one who still lingered in the clouds above her. Her eyes, however, were on the man approaching her. She was young yes, but not stupid. It would not be out of the realm of possibility for a person to act rashly in such a strange situation as this. They both seemed rather startled she observed absently. She had seen them travel through time so had not expected this would be so strange for them even if her stone magic was. Oh well.

"Do please join us Sir, Extending my voice like this is a waste of energy... and that is something I am not sure we can afford..." She said to the rider of the brown dragon. She watched the two men and the two dragons, well aware that they were faster then she. She had some premade powders and such at all times, for obvious reasons considering the dying world, but if they decided to fricassee her she doubted her skills could do much to keep her safe. She hoped for better, but it mattered little. There were a handful of allies and mages hidden in the mountain range, waiting for those who came with other pulses to then lead them to her. If she died, one of them could step up to take her place... she hoped.

Drakina

Old 12-09-2012, 12:27 AM

Aborenth considered the woman's words, and the general sense of foreboding her phrasing gave. ~I do think that she needs help of some sort.~

"Okay, so we help her. The greenrider's already down there, we'd better introduce ourselves, too," A'den said, patting the brown. He sighed, looking at the landscape around him as the dragon angled down for a landing. It all looked so strange, yet there was a strange similarity. He'd thought of other planets as looking very different before this. They'd better not be stuck here, though.

~And after we help her? Do we go back?~ The brown dragon regarded the human on the cliff, giving himself plenty of room to land without blowing the people away. His eyes roamed over to the green and her rider as well, noticing the scars. ~They were in Threadfall.~

"I hope so," A'den sighed, bracing himself as Aborenth landed, uncliping his belt from the harness as quickly as possible to slide down. "So they're older than us. Fine by me, actually," he said before walking forward. "Hello, there, Bethany. Name's A'den, and this is Aborenth." He waved behind him, where the brown had pulled his head around to be right behind his rider. He'd missed the names of the other two, though...

~They are K'ane, rider of N'teirath.~

-Thanks, buddy.-