sadrain
Ghost Caracal

Old 08-25-2015, 04:46 PM

Mae was deep in her thoughts and books when a screech of bird distracted her, right by the open window. Startled, woman rose her head and saw a hawk settled on the windowsill. If that wasn't strange enough, he also had something tied to his leg. Now, she had seen various messenger birds, from ravens to doves, but never a hawk. Careful to not spook him just in case, softly speaking to the regal bird, she moved closer and was surprised that he readily let her take what turned out to be letter. She opened it and hurriedly read through it, her mouth opening slightly as her face paled and then flushed, both from strange flutter in her chest and anger.

"Dear hawk, can you wait while I write a letter to your dark skinned friend?" she asked in elvish and as the bird seemed not to be in any rush, started the reply. But it was harder than writing anything else she had ever had to. The emotions in her were greatly mixed. Anger with embarrassment, a sting of sadness and rejection as well, and something she couldn't quite place... Oh yes, she was quite furious indeed! Not only he did not give her a chance to actually talk with him, the drow spouted nonsense about him marring her 'perfect form' or something of the sort.

If she were so admirable and strong as he said her to be, then he should have respected her opinion and right to choose! Even if it were to tell him nothing between them was possible. But even then, it would not be for such a ridiculous reason! Ah, what would she tell him if he were here? By gods, they would probably get into another argue and quickly. They were so different, perhaps not quite like day and night, but enough for something between them to be quite impossible. His feelings were quick, she would either have to tell him nothing could ever happen or lead him on, saying that he had to give her time... And, much to her own frustration, Lacrimae felt as if she would have went with this thought, had she been given the chance.

To think that she might never see him again, with his broody face that suddenly was lit by goofy smile... She bit her lip slightly and then shook her head. No, this would not be the last she heard of him or other way around! And that was one of the things she told him in the letter, written with perfect penmanship but filled with uncertain emotions she couldn't quite hide. Finally the letter was finished and she slid it in envelope, writing his name on it and sealing carefully, before tying it to hawk's leg. With that, the bird was off and she had the duty of telling Kevlar the news.

Marwolaeth sensed the man approaching before he even entered the room, the truly peaceful look that had been on her face for mere moments as she gazed out to the garden from balcony disappearing at this realization. It was not that she was afraid of Kevlar, or anyone else for the matter, and inwardly, she felt as calm as before, but the woman highly guarded her emotions, most of them anyhow, and it was just an image ruiner to have her seen smiling slightly at the beautiful view.

She turned towards the door, right as he entered, brow quirked as she took in him from head to toe, inspecting as one would prey. As the man spoke, her smirk only grew wider. So, he thought he knew what she thought and tried to be all noble? How boring and predictable. In fact, it was even laughable how the human tried to erase the bounty on her head even though he couldn't truly know if she wasn't involved in the crime. And if Marwo thought about all the other things she had done, oh, this reward wasn't anywhere near the sum she'd have on her head then.

As he was about to leave, she moved from her spot, with speed and grace of wild cat, catching up to the man and stopping righy in front of him, with barely any distance between them, her head tilted upwards to gaze in his eyes directly.

"Tell me, knight," her voice didn't have the usual tone of mockery at his title, skillfully hidden for the moment, "do you trust me?" She leaned even closer then, looking both devious and gentle.

It was soon after that Kevlar's and Marwo's conversation was finished that Mae found him. Her face was serious, perhaps even crestfallen, and although she held her as upright as always, there wasn't quite the bounce to it as usually. "I received a letter from Saith. He told us to continue the journey without him for now." Her voice was calm and decisive as she continued: "We will spend another day here and then set out morning after tomorrow."

Xavirne
Plagg, claws out!
Send a message via AIM to Xavirne Send a message via MSN to Xavirne Send a message via Yahoo to Xavirne

Old 08-25-2015, 05:06 PM

It would be a lie if he said he sensed she would make a move on him. Kevlar was none the wiser and, frankly, he didn't mind it. The little surprises like this were what made life worth living. It made for an adventure and Kev was all for adventures--both physical and mental.

With Marwo coming closer, he could soon taste her breath on his lips. Some men might have fallen for her antics, but Kevlar...

No, he totally did.

"Yes," he leaned into her just enough for his forehead to grace hers. "I trust you more than I trust myself." Pulling back, he pushed the door closed to keep the conversation private. "I know Saith and Lacrimae might not have faith in you but I've learned to give people a chance. I've killed too many innocent people. I don't want to start down that path again. It's best if I give you the upper-hand and you prove me right--that you are indeed trustworthy and a woman who can see the right from the wrong, even if right and wrong are a blur or even false."

Small smirk played on his face before he gingerly pulled open the door. "You might fool them, but you won't fool me. I know that beneath the lace and lies, there's a lonely woman who just wants a friend."

Stepping out, he caught Mae approaching. "You just have to decide whether or not I'm worthy enough to earn that friendship."

Brow raising, he looked back at Marwo before stepping aside for Mae. This was a surprise. These two women hated each other. Why would Mae seek her out.

Oh. That would do it.

"Uh?" He blinked. "Saith wrote you a letter." His lip quivered. "What an ass," hands over chest, he scoffed. "He should have written me. I'm the important one!" With a firm head nod the knight turned his chin from Mae. "After all, I'm his best friend. You're just a woman who refuses to admit you find him attractive." Slipping open one of his teal orbs, he spied Mae to see her reaction. Laugh following, he placed his hip against the wall he now leaned upon. "Fuss all you want, I know what you saw." Shooting his eyes to Marwo, he smirked. He figured she might want to jump on the pick-on-Mae bandwagon.

Once they were done with their 'trolling,' Kevlar shook his head at the letter. "Well, I hope he eventually changes his mind. Until then, I hope he keeps out of harm's way." Grimacing, he rubbed his arm. "Though that might be asking too much for that danger-seeking drow."

Last edited by Xavirne; 08-25-2015 at 05:10 PM..

sadrain
Ghost Caracal

Old 08-26-2015, 06:02 PM

"Are you lonely, Kevlar?" the woman moved closer to him, not reacting to Kevlar's statement about her own heart and life. She didn't even have to add a touch of magic to have him wrapped around her little finger, yearning for more than he could say. Feminine charms that came naturally to her combined with learned behaviors and observation skills made for a dangerous combination in the hands of Marwolaeth.

"Do you wish for someone to listen to you, does your heart longs for someone to share your dreams with?" her hand rested over his heart now, before sliding upward to touch his jawline with her fingertips. Her eyes were gentle, or at least they appeared as such, soft smile curling her blood red lips. Her teeth, white as pearls, always had a feral look to them due to the longer canines, but right now even that didn't take away from her dark, but nearly angelic appearance.

The gentleness didn't seem to even shiver as her words took a cruel turn, poking and prodding at what would hurt the human before her the most. "Or do you think you have found friends in Miss Sunshine and Blue Eyes? That he won't run off to his next noble adventure on his own, that she will not forget about you as soon as your use has run out and you won't be left guarding some old, stuffy mage without ever hearing from them again?" Her nails dug in his skin slightly, but not enough to break his skin. Suddenly, she laughed a true, genuine laugh before backing off and spreading her arms in open gesture.

"Oh, knight, if you believe that and trust me, you are either naive or stupid. But as for me - I am never lonely. Only empty people with narrow minds and boring lives have time to be lonely. I am the opposite of that!"

In that moment, Mae arrived. In fact, she had seen the whole ordeal of Marwo standing so close to the human and their heads angled so they could have as well been kissing. Stiffly, she relayed her news, ignoring the way the other woman's face lit up with now clearly malicious smile when Kevlar pouted about Saith not having written to him. She winked at him and then announced that she wasn't interested in hearing anything more about their drow heartthrob and went on her merry way.

"I did not mean to interrupt whatever," Mae made a slightly exasperated gesture, "that was. But if you plan to chase after her, all I ask is that you are careful." Her gaze was serious, those was not words of a priestess to her knight, those were words from friend to friend. She did not wish him to get hurt and trusted Marwolaeth about as much as Saith had trusted her at first... Well, that was a comparison that hurt.

Shaking her head slightly, she gathered her thoughts. "Truth is, he wrote that he will not be rejoining us, but I, too, hope that he will change his mind. If not, we will have to seek him out after, will we not?" She smiled slightly, although didn't really feel like doing it. "Right now, there is merely no time for it and as you said, he is out there, making his destiny..." Destiny that he wished they would have nothing to do with, one stupid reason after another. Not willing to delve in the subject of affections, she had ignored his comment. So what if she acknowledged Saith as good-looking? Only blind or racist woman wouldn't. That hardly meant anything.

When their conversation was finished, she went to inform the mage of the decision about their departure. The elf said he would focus all of his servants into helping the group to get ready. The rest of the day passed quickly, with more research and planning of various routes, as even the enchanted glass and other charms couldn't show exactly where the thief was heading to. Magic of the forest distorted any spell that entered in it and the horned being itself seemed to be gifted with some magic as well.

In the evening, the mage and others shared a lavish meal, soft music playing from what seemed to be air itself. He was a pleasant host, and even Marwo was not belittled in any way, although there always was a certain cold, haughty feel about him. When they had finished dinner, Mae excused herself and left the dining hall. After a while of wandering, she found herself on balcony of the room that served as large meeting hall or ballroom. Few candle holders by the walls of room lit it in spooky light, but out on the balcony it was only the natural light of moon and stars. Soft breeze played in her hair and the woman closed her eyes, soft sigh breaking out.

Standing there for few minutes, she felt like floating away from herself and right into a scene with Saith. Under this very moon and beautiful sky, they stood under a magnificent tree. He swept her in his arms and kissed passionately, but gently and it felt like in that second, everything fell in its place, but before she could revel in the feeling, she was floating away, watching as the dark man said something, but no sound came out. Among all of her talents, lipreading was not one of them and she couldn't make out more than her name.

Her eyes opened, staring in the starlit darkness, breath growing labored. What was that? It felt far more vivid than mere daydream, more like a vision... Or a memory. Oh by Sun, what had Kevlar and Saith, with his stupid, infuriating letter, done to her mind! It was not that she had never been kissed, no. Few celebrations, she had went out with her dance partner, on the balcony of temple or its garden and the men, thinking of it as encouragement, had pressed sloppy kisses on her mouth. All she had thought was how unpleasant, unimpressive it was and when would be polite to push them away.

Yet, this kiss with Saith was everything that other priestesses and books spoke about. She had never wanted to leave his arms, even if she had been there for mere seconds and... Ugh, it was all in her imagination anyhow! Kissing him surely would be no better than those two other men years and years ago. And still, her heart fluttered at the imagined-memory. Determined to get these thoughts out of her mind, she turned to leave, only to run straight in Mage of Silver.

"Oh," she breathed, berating herself immediately for the sheepish reaction. "I did not mean to startle you, my lady," he spoke in a calm, even gentle tone. "It is my fault, I was merely lost in my thoughts and did not hear you approach," Mae replied, letting him lead her back to the beautifully crafted railing. "May I ask what captured your thoughts so?" the elf inquired. She looked up at him, nearly blushing, but not because he was looking truly handsome in the moonlight (he was, but that was besides the point). She could not tell him that she had been day dreaming about another man, and one that had left her behind so easily. So, instead, she opted for a partial truth, something she could do with ease.

"I was thinking about the future," woman told him, eliciting a pleasant laugh from mage. "What a coincidence. That is exactly why I sought you out, dear Lacrimae," he told her and there was a slight shudder running down her back from the way he spoke her name. It was somehow... Not quite condescending, but certainly as if he was in control of a situation she wasn't even aware of being in.

"Have you found out more about the thief?" she immediately asked, a spark of hope in her voice. "Not yet, although I have my thoughts. I would like to confirm everything before I share them, however," man told her, last sentence with slight smirk just as she was about to insist he tells her what he thought. "However, it is partially related to this quest. No matter how it ends, but I do not doubt your success in the slightest, our world is on the verge of change. It has been sneaking up on us, and we have tried to ignore it, like children pretending that if we cannot see it, it cannot see us, too, but now with the Curtain being threatened, it is undeniable."

Mae nodded slightly, for all of it was true, but even so, she instinctively did not like where this was heading to. After looking at her for a moment, the man continued: "When the changes reach the Isle, many things will be broken to never be made as they were. In their stead, will come new order... And new unions." There was a slight pause, his intense eyes making her uncomfortable and at the same time, poking at her rebellious side that wanted to stop this conversation, right now. But she had to hear him out, for sake of so many people.

"A single mage or priestess, even of our stature, can be swept up and drowned by the waves of change. But together, Lacrimae, we could be the union that guides the land through the storm. Outside world will want war and many here desire bloodshed as well. I do not trust the Mage of Mercury to keep the negotiations on track. But there are ways to lessen the damage, the casualties. If we were to unite our names, others would rally to our names and we could save so many lives," he spoke, voice nearly hypnotic as he painted visions of horror and noble saviors that they would become. If she didn't know that he wouldn't risk using his magic on her in fear of losing this game, she'd swear he was using a charm on her.

"All of that is possible, Azaleath," she said, the man stiffening at the use of his name. Names are powerful things and mages did not like to have theirs revealed. That she knew his already said a lot, and all she had intended to say. "And I will take your words in consideration. But that is all I can say for now," Mae told him.

"That is all I ask, Lacrimae. After all, we have an immediate task at hand. No matter your decision, I will support your mission," he told her, but somehow, she wasn't convinced. In fact, it nearly sounded like a threat. The man moved in and for a moment she thought he'd kiss her, but instead mage went for a kiss to her hand and bid good night to his beautiful lady. With that, he left, leaving priestess troubled and staring out at the woods in distance.

~ p o p p e t ♥, Queen_Andais, star2000shadow, Eastriel are absolutely amazing ~

Xavirne
Plagg, claws out!
Send a message via AIM to Xavirne Send a message via MSN to Xavirne Send a message via Yahoo to Xavirne

Old 08-26-2015, 06:48 PM

He should have seen this coming. Her advancing, the touching, the sweet words. But no, this was Kevlar. He was more focused on Mae who was looking for them than the conversation at hand. Still, how could he refuse this? She was now holding his jaw gently by her fingertips. What man wouldn't want this?

Of course, the lovely pleasantries were all just for show. A chance to draw him in and make him weak. In seconds, her claws were out and she was throwing words at him.

Mae's timing was... well, not perfect. Marwo left and Kev never had a chance to explain himself or refute her words. He would have to seek her out later. For now? Heh, well, he had a worrisome Mae on his hands.

Not hold back, he leaned in and planted a soft, dry kiss square on her forehead. "Silly priestess, you've nothing to worry about. Marwolaeth is a brilliant woman. She knew what she was doing. I'm sure she position herself as such just toy with you." His eyes lacked that usual playfulness they had. "Besides, I wouldn't dare court someone while on a mission with you. My duty is solely to you and the task at hand." Then came the grin and laugh. "And to making sure I get you and Saith alone together." A wink followed. "But I do agree, when this all ends, we should find him. Even if it's to truly say goodbye. The idea," he bit his lip, "the idea of him not telling us to our faces...." He lost all color. Worry quivered his lips and a sad gleam crossed over his eyes. "It makes me fear that he's walking a very dangerous path. One where not saying goodbye will make," he paused. It was hard to say it. "Easier to die. Sometimes breaking all ties clears the mind and makes you rest easy when facing the greatest unknowns."

He had a crestfallen nature to him now. "Trust me. I know. I've been there, done that. And," his teal orbs turned to meet hers, "I wouldn't wish such a faint on anyone. Forcing isolation is no way to live."

Hand squeezing her shoulder, he smiled. "Now, if you'll excuse me, I've a woman to kiss." He was messing with her on purpose now. She brought up the idea so he might as well throw it back in her face. He began snickering before placing a finger on her lips. "I'll behave. Fret not, priestess, she might be the monster on the outside. But inwardly?"

A very strange face washed over Kevlar. With how the shadows caught his face, he began to look like a totally different man. Eyes hollow and void of emotion, jaw flat and bored, and height easily becoming threatening, Kevlar stepped back into the light.

"There's much you've to learn about me, Lacrimae. And trust me, when you do find it out, I promise you will not see me as a noble knight but rather a man hellbent on redemption for timeless sins."

With that, he took his leave.

Originally, he wanted to hunt Marwo down but instead he decided it better to wash up. His face was hot and felt ugly. Such things happened when the darkness came back. The thought of blood, war, and torture--they were all at the forefront of his mind. If they absolutely needed to break Marwo, they could. Well, he could. But Kev swore he would never succumb to that life again. There was no way he was going to follow that man's footprints. There was no way he was going to be a cold-hearted, merciless assassin like his father wanted him to be. He just wouldn't be daddy's little thoughtless killer.

"I can't help but notice that you seem at peace looking across this view," his shoulders rested up against the pillars behind him. "Go ahead, tell me lies. I'll believe them." He grinned. "Just like I believed you this morning." He suppressed a laugh. "Since you hate talking about yourself and pinning things on me," he stepped closer so that his chest was closer to hers, "why don't you tell me what you're really hoping to do here?"

"Because telling me I'll be alone? That's not a threat. It's something I welcome. If I'm with others, I run the risk of slipping up and reverting to old ways."

Much like Marwo did to him, Kev stroked her cheek. Or at least he would try to. Should she pull away, he would instinctively grab her hair and jerk her into his grip. He would put his other hand on her neck and hold her taut. Now, if she let him rest his hand on her jawline, he would squeeze. Enough to hurt but not enough to break her mouth. Either way, he would resort in capturing her one way or another--neck, jaw, chest, hand, location didn't matter. He would catch her and toss her threats back at her.

"Be careful, Mawrolaeth," he would say while releasing her and stepping back. "I might not have your powers but you cannot break what's already broken. You can try to twist my mind, bend my blood, or break my bones, but you won't hurt me."

Flicking his cloak over his shoulder, he moved away and took a perch on another railing.

"I do have a question for you though." His stern gaze went to look her over. "Why haven't you run?" His arms opened and he gestured to all the space in the world. "You could flee and we wouldn't have the resources to pursue. So why stay? What are you hoping to accomplish? Or what are you running from?"

He rolled over so that his back was rested against the railing. "I'm here to atone for my sins. Saith was here to prove a drow could be more than just a thief or hunter, but rather a knight with noble purpose. Mae, priestess or not, is clearly on her journey toward being a woman worth wooing. You?" He smiled. "You, I haven't figured out. Why are you here? What is your role. Clearly destiny must have a reason for sending you to us."

Slipping across the floor, he was back by her side. Only, this time he came across as that tender knight all believed him to be. Gingerly, like a cat watching its prey, he moved the back of his hand to stroke wherever he previously held her prisoner. Sweetly, gently, lovingly, he smoothed the pain away.

Now knight, he wasn't in love with this woman. But, if she were to hint that maybe, just maybe, she wouldn't refuse such affection, he might sweep her into his embrace. He would push back her hair, stroke her lacy-tattoo, and then bring their lips to meet. It would be fleeting but tender, just enough to give them both what they needed--a reason to truly be at each other's throats.

Of course, if the mood wasn't right and he didn't sense that connection, he would simply nod his head and utter off a single apology for being rough.

TwitchTumblrInstagram
Wanna roleplay? WTF or Mene

sadrain
Ghost Caracal

Old 08-30-2015, 09:21 PM

"If your dedication to our mission is as strong as to matchmaking, I have nothing to fear, Kevlar," Mae bit at the knight with pleasant smile. She didn't have the energy to actually deny any suggestions, though, but neither she was approving them. "And your private life is solely your private life, I merely advise caution."

As their conversation turned to Saith, her expression turned even more strained. "If there is one thing I know about him, it is that he is brilliant, if short sighted sometimes, at survival. I will pray for him and believe that he will accomplish whatever he feels he must," Mae said, her fist clenching by her side.

"I will see you as Kevlar, a man who is sometimes silly, yet wise and strong enough to move on and find new paths in life. We all have chapters in our lives we never wish to read out loud, so we must not judge others by theirs," she told him, right before he left. It was something she believed, needed to believe. For her past, too, was not all roses and smiles, and there was blood on her hands. Perhaps blood whose spilling had prevented torment for many other souls, but blood nonetheless.

"Lies? Oh, knight, where has your faith in me and my good nature gone?" she smirked at the man over her shoulder, but then turned around, letting him enter in her personal space. Oh, Marwo didn't mind if he was a bit daring. Confident in her skills and powers, she knew she could stop him any moment she wished. In fact, this way he provided a bit of entertainment. Prodding and poking, to see what made him tick...

When he reached for her, she did sidestep, though, but more to tease him and see what he would do: if he would back down or pursue. And oh how did he pursue. His hand twisting in her hair, other capturing hers that went to push him away, he effectively captured her. Of course, it would be naive of him to think that he truly held her captive, but this could quickly escalate to brutal fight if she let her instincts go. And it was tempting, it really was. But if she hadn't learned to control herself, the bloody trail behind her would drown many more men. So, she let him talk, smirk on her lips and eyes nearly glowing.

Soon, he retreated, though, as if thinking that his supposed revelation could have surprised her. Sure, he had a bit of more darkness to him than she had guessed, but in the end, he was still so naive. "Oh, I just adore how everything has to be complex with you, some hidden noble agenda wherever you look! Except for Miss Sunshine that is." Marwolaeth laughed richly, the kind of laugh that makes you want to join and lose yourself in the sound.

"Have you told her that her higher mission and goal in this journey is to become worthy of male's interest, of wooing? If you plan to, let me know beforehand so I can find a front seat and bring some snacks!" She continued to laugh, picturing the beating of his life, possibly even physical, he'd get from the prim and proper elf maiden if she had heard what he just said. And it would be a well deserved one. Marwo didn't like golden haired woman, but she would throw such words at her only in attempt to belittle.

Wiping a tear that wasn't there from her eye, the woman calmed down a little, although grin was still splitting her face nearly in half. "For this amusement, I'll share with you why I am here... You seem to be forgetting I wasn't a suspect without a reason." Her smile was tainted with a kind of malicious intent now, her gaze so dark it could drill a hole through the human.

"My wish is simple: to snatch the precious orbs up at first opportunity just because I can. You can try telling your priestess, try to stop me, but I will only welcome your fruitless attempts!" She grinned at him, nearly like a child, if only her gaze had not been so cold.

When he tried to take hold of her again, she let him soothe her wrist for moment, but then her hand twisted so it had a stone hard grip on his arm, one nail piercing his skin like a well crafted blade. "But remember, if you touch me one more time without my invite, I will relieve you of your pain and sorrow," she purred, peering at him through lowered eyelashes, "as I free you from your life." With that, she released him and spun away, before stopping at one of the pillars and rather sensually licked the finger stained with red. "Remember, I have your blood now, knight."

In that, one of the servants arrived to invite them for lunch and she moved past him, all seductive sway of hips and flick of blood red hair.

Xavirne
Plagg, claws out!

Old 10-07-2015, 06:47 PM

"Complex?" He scoffed. "I hardly call gray complex. When you lose the ability to see the world as black and white, everything seems so... simple. Right, wrong. Neither truly matter. It's more about... what makes the heart sing and the mind race." He cared not that she drew blood nor that she swayed her hips as she walked away. "But, again, I'm preaching to the choir."

Stepping with great gaps between his strides, he eventually caught up and continued to walk in unison with her. If she slowed, he slowed. If she sped up, he sped up. It wasn't done on purpose either, he was merely moving with her unconsciously. It tended to happen when the knight was lost in thought and had the same destination in mind as his partner.

At some point she would undoubtedly call him out on stalking or not having a mind of his own. If and when that happened, he would completely miss the conversation, still lost in thought. At this point in time, Kevlar was trying to figure out of Marwo would truly uphold her end of the bargain. He had spent many years of his life with woman such as she. Women (and men) who had one plan but, over the course of a grand journey, would ultimately abandon plan when the riches at the end no longer whispered sinful desires in their ears. Often time, the compassion or friendship would steer away thoughts of greed, jealousy, or lust.

He knew little of the woman with the lacy-face. This was definitely a problem, though it was one he could quickly fix. Well, assuming woman was truthful in her stories and answers. Then again, was it even worth learning her story? Did her past matter? From the bounty on her head, he doubted such. The Marwo that would matter was the one that would start from today onward; the one that would learn the powerful magic know of love that could change a heart of darkness to a heart of kindness.

Finally, something caught his attention and pulled his thoughts to the woman at his side. "Oh," he hitched up a brow and looked down at the lovely crimson maiden. "When did you get here?" He glanced up and noticed their location. Even Mae was there and seemed to be concerned. "Eh?" His eyes grew wide before he patted himself over and over. "Why are you both looking at me like that? Is a hair out of place or something?" Smoothing down his dark chocolate hair, he glanced over at Mae. "Sorry," he shrugged. "I guess I was just lost in thought. Just..." he needed an excuse, "worried about Saith."

Not knowing if Marwo would join he and Mae for lunch, the knight moved with Mae for food. The remainder of the day, he spent his time alone. Between brushing Ruine, sharpening blades, and polishing armor, he found little time to interact with anyone. Should people pester him, he would merely drown them out and act as if he were too busy to listen.

Finally, when night feel and dinner was complete, he took to patrolling the area. Not that it was needed. No, rather he did it to get the fresh air and to clear his mind. During his wandering, he happened upon some faint mumbling and decided to seek out the hushed tones he heard.

When he finally arrived, it appeared the meeting was over. Mae, left standing alone beside the balcony's edge, seemed... lost. "Something on your mind?" He tilted his head to the side while slipping a hand on her back to give her shoulder a friendly squeeze. "Things have certainly changed since we started this little mission of yours." Propping elbow on railing and then chin on palm, he gazed over at the priestess. "And since I'm a lousy friend," he rolled over to rest his rump against the railing, "I should have asked... rather than assumed... how are you doing?" Teal eyes soft as butter welcomed whatever conversation came next. Saith wasn't here to hear the woman out so it was now his job to make certain Mae was well and happy. The lack of smile on her face already concerned him.

Last edited by Xavirne; 10-08-2015 at 12:39 PM..

sadrain
Ghost Caracal

Old 10-09-2015, 04:42 PM

She heard steps approaching and guessed by their weight and pace that it had to be Kevlar or one of the guards, although she was more inclined to believe it was the knight. After all, she had listened to his steps for nearly a week now. So, Mae had a time to pull herself together, conceal her feelings. She greeted him with nod of head and smile, inquiring if he, too, wanted a bit of fresh air.

Not that her mask seemed to work on the human; he got right to the point, making her smile stiffen a little, but she didn't shake off his hand from her shoulder, secretly surprised she didn't mind this casual touch as she usually did. Had she really come to trust this man more than most in her even temple, to think he was closer to her than those she knew for decades?

"They certainly have and no matter what, even more changes are coming," Lacrimae agreed, her tone having a grim note in it. Kevlar had hit uncomfortably close to home with this observation. Changes seemed to be the key word on everyone's lips tonight, this week... But not without a reason. Still, she couldn't very well tell the knight that the mage had purposed an union of marriage to ensure his own position of power and also very likely helping countless defenseless lives. He would advise her against it, tell her to follow her heart, but what if she didn't knew what her heart wanted? After all, her heart had been overpowered by her mind so long that she had a hard time telling the two voices apart now.

"It is nothing, really," the woman told him, bearing her conclusions in mind, but seconds later, soft sigh passed through her lips. "Or rather, it should be nothing." Leaning against the railing slightly and turning to face the human, Mae smilled a bittersweet smile. "Today I received message that my guard captain's wife gave birth to small, but healthy daughter two days ago."

"At sunrise, they will be presenting her to the Sun and naming her Amber, after the Tears that Goddess of Sun cried at the Dawn of Isle after the War. The earth and then trees became embedded with them, and after a while they became the gem we know. Or so the legend goes, anyway," she smiled slightly, as if indicating she didn't entirely believe the mythical explanation, before continuing. "It is a name that will symbolize hope, purity and power. And I wish I was there, performing the ceremony," she confessed. "Not because I imagine myself more skilled or blessed as a priestess, but merely because I selfishly wish to share this moment of happiness with my friends." Woman swallowed down a clump stuck in her throat for some reason. It somehow felt like the emotions in her voice were pouring out about so much more than this subject alone, although it too had her pointlessly upset.

"But I will see her grow up, have children and even grandchildren of her own, if Gods be willing. While time will stand still for me for centuries, it will turn those I hold dear into dust. And perhaps in near future, the Isle will not be spared anymore either." Closing eyes for moment, she let out a deep breath, but even when she opened them, the sadness she had tried to release was still in the blue pools of her orbs. But she smiled at him apologetically then.

"I am sorry for this rant. Those are minor things that should not upset me, really. Thank you for listening... You are not a bad friend, not at all. And know that if you ever need someone to listen, I am always willing." She honestly meant it, ready to take on troubles of Kev as she did with anyone, but even more so with friends.

Last edited by sadrain; 10-09-2015 at 04:45 PM..

Xavirne
Plagg, claws out!

Old 10-09-2015, 05:11 PM

At first, he wasn't sure she would open up and share was was weighing her down. Sun priestess did surprise him, though, when she did speak from the heart about her woes. If anything, it sounded like pent-up frustration. She was upset that she was so far away during such tender times.

Knowing just what to do, knight lightly patted her shoulder before drawing her into his side. Arm looping around her, the brunette flashed her a lovely, cheeky smile. "You said it, even if you cannot be there to witness her glorious birth, you will be there to watch her grow up. You'll get to see her frolic through the sea of flowers, fall in love with a man who's probably too rugged for his own good, likely get her heart broken only to see it healed with time and the love of a man she never knew exist..." his voice trailed off and he separated from her. "But you already know this." Kevlar smiled. "And are you not the living form of the sun goddess herself? Are you not there beside the baby already? Did you not greet her in the morn' and sing her to sleep as the majestic moon appears?"

Although Kev knew little to nothing about Mae and her practices, he did do his best to at least get the woman to smile. Sadly, whatever ailed her was much deeper than the surface.

As she turned her so-called ranting to an invitation to listen, he scoffed. "Clearly I am a bad friend if you will not tell me all that plagues you with tears." Cupping her hand in his own, he give her another light squeeze. "As a knight, I am sworn to secrecy to the one I protect. If you tell me you are ill and dying, I cannot share it, even if it pains my heart. It is the oath I live by. To break that trust and speak words told in private would be seppuku."

To her, the word was probably foreign for Kevlar was indeed from another country. Despite being a 'knight' by title, Kevlar's unorthodox use of a spear in battle and choice of armor seemed to reflect the ways of the ancient samurai. Pending Mae's knowledge of foreign culture, she would know that the term was an honorable form of death committed by the hands of the who betrayed trust or broken the unspoken law of the samurai.

"I will not force you to speak from the heart, but I do ask that you not lie to me when there is more wrong than meets the eye." With silent exhale, he dropped his head to his hand. Not uttering another word, he drank in the quiet that surrounded them.

sadrain
Ghost Caracal

Old 12-17-2015, 10:16 PM

The woman stiffened when he pulled her in half-embrace, but she didn't move away, even though her mind was telling her to. He isn't danger, he means no harm, Mae reminded herself, but still couldn't relax. "See, this is why I told you it is such a foolish reason to be upset," she gently reminded him with softest of sighs. Even so, Kevlar had managed to ease her heart just a little with his envisioned future for Amber and there was a smile on her lips, even if faint.

She laughed softly, with just a tinge of bitterness, at his next words, though it was not meant in any cruel way. "I do not think of myself so conceitedly, Kevlar. My prayers are meant to reach the kind of ear of Sun more directly and I can channel her will through me, but I can never match up to our Mother Goddess."

"But I suppose you cannot quite know that, as you are not of this land, are you, brave knight?" As always, when the time called for it, Lacrimae confronted everyone and everything head on, her gaze now searching, even piercing as she gazed up to the brunette man. "You do not have to reveal the truth or your past to me, however. As I told you earlier - our pasts are something that is behind us for a reason and it is the future with our present actions we shape." Her voice was sincere, as was her heart.

Yet, these words painfully resonated with her own issue and she moved away from Kevlar after he had once again assured she could trust him with her woes. "And that is what troubles me: I do not know what path to take to ensure well-being of this Isle. Perhaps it is not even in my power to bring, but I have to try. It is not something I can leave to the dices of fate to decide. And I feel that my personal happiness will have to come from peace and prosperity of others, not my own heart."

"This fate is not what I desired when I prayed for safety and home as a child. But I suppose no miracle comes without a price." Her comment was cryptic one and as soon as the words left her lips, it was like Lacrimae snapped out of her rather uncharacteristic openness. "My apologies, it is truly getting late and I should not keep you up any longer - we have a long day approaching. I thank you for lending me an understanding ear and your kind words." She turned to leave after bidding him a good night also left to her room, although sleep kept eluding her that night and only towards morning she felt in heavy slumber.

Xavirne
Plagg, claws out!

Old 12-28-2015, 08:32 PM

Taken aback by her curt words, Kevlar made mental note not to compare her with a goddess. As she so kindly reminded him, he was not of his land. He didn't quite grasp their way of worship or practice. Where he came from, the almighty god was always beside his people. Always bestowed his powers upon them and trusted them with his will. To be a priest or priestess came with the utmost respect for they were god's right-hand person. They felt and moved just as he would.

Of course, like with everything, corruption existed and not all of those who swore their soul to the heaven's above did just that. Some did it to steal secrets. Others to have many affairs. Whatever the reason, Kevlar did not care for deep down he knew that those of true heart were the ones that were truly graced with his knowledge and blessing.

At her comment about the past being in the past, Kevlar scoffed. "Our paths help define our future. If we had no past, we would have no future. So although the acts might have happened, those decisions and choices wear heavy on our future." It was odd to see how they contrasted each other in this regard. She was more about the here and now, whereas Kevlar leaned heavily on his past. He often turned back to past events and thought to help guide him in the present. Did she merely just toss the past aside? Was that the burden she was to bear?

Her speech trailed on, soon revealing what he had feared. She never wanted this fate and yet, it was hers to have and hold. Did she run from the past because the past is when she made wishes for happiness? Or did she keep the past at bay due to darker days?

Not wanting to pry, he gave Mae's shoulder a good squeeze before bidding her a fair night's sleep.

"My you find sweet dreams tonight, my priestess." Dipping into a bow, he didn't lift his head until her footsteps vanished into nothing but silence.

Now alone, he wrapped his arms around himself. Brow piqued with curiosity, he turned his gaze to the moon above.

"Saith, my friend, I fear you left us at a bad time. Conflict runs within her veins and, unlike you, my trust with her is not strong. Perhaps, had no I not been so bash and recklessly brought illness upon myself, things would be different. And yet, if given the chance to do it all again, I would follow in the same steps as before. I have no need to regret for I can see in those azure orbs sadness for your loss. I pray we find you before the enemy does. This strange isle would be awfully lonely without your conceited, witty ass causing all kinds of mayhem."

Smirking, he placed a hand on his heart. "Please use caution. Please be safe." Moving hand from chest to lips, he kissed the tips of his fingers before turning them to the moon.

"Guide him, Luna. Let your silver rays forge the path back to us."

Seeing no need to keep guard, he turned in for the night. Unlike Mae, he would sleep peacefully, for he was more than exhausted from far too many deep conversations.

sadrain
Ghost Caracal

Old 01-02-2017, 05:54 PM

"Our pasts led us here, but they do not dictate every step we shall make in future," Lacrimae told him in a somehow dim voice, before wishing him a restful night and departing. How ironic it was, for her to lecture others how past was to remain no more than guiding light, when she willing let it dictate her whole life. And, yet, the knowledge it was far more than her happiness on the line, the elf couldn't do anything but follow the path set ahead.

Next morning welcomed Kevlar with delicious looking breakfast, but the priestess was nowhere to be seen. Marwolaeth neither, for that matter. If he inquired, the servant would explain that Mae was already in library, researching about their journey, working out details. If he wished to, he was welcome to join. If asked had she eaten, the maids would exchange a slightly uncomfortable looks and avoid answering outright.

The town beyond tower's gates was also a viable option for spending the day. After all, plentiful rumors could find their way to the knight's ears, if he knew where to look. Perhaps that was where the blood-mage had headed to? But he could also spend a day relaxing in the beautiful gardens, did he not deserve a rest after all of the chaos of past few days?