Tobi
⊙ω⊙

Old 08-03-2012, 05:47 PM

Name: Samuel Larten
Height: 5'3
History: Sam is a quirky inventor and investigator that just can't find his place in the underground community of Thames. Sam had always had troubles making friends since he was little. Unlike other people in the underground town, he had always wondered what else there is out there. His curiosity is his drive in everything he does, but given the limited resources in an underground civilization, and the social boundaries towards exploration, Sam finds himself limited to what he can do. Sam created Abe so that he could have someone to share his ideas with, and aid him in his goals. This gave Sam someone he could depend on. Sam does not take rejection well on any level, and when his works are criticized, he doesn’t take kindly to it. On the other hand, when he is praised for his work, he tends to get light on his feet and over accentuate the complement. He easily trusts these sort of people, making him not a very good judgment of character. He is quick to lose his temper when the topic comes to Abe, and generally holds hostility to anyone other than him.

He hopes to escape the community of like-minded people and find a new place to live that better suits his tastes.

Last edited by Tobi; 08-03-2012 at 05:56 PM..

keysburger
Like a Cheeseburger but not

Old 08-04-2012, 04:04 AM

Name: Guardian MkII, aka "Abraham"

Size: 7'1", broad shoulders, Iron frame, various different kind of metals hodgepodged around his frame for his body. Changes the color of the lights he has for eyes to show expression. (red is anger, white is regular, blue is sad, and so on.)

Personality: Abraham is a robot, specifically designed to help his master. He is inquisitive and smart, but being only a few years old, has that kind of naivete as well. He knows little of the world below and nothing of the world that was. He is a loyal and brave companion who will follow his master wherever he goes.

Quirks: Through some "ghost" in his cpu, Abraham is prone to forgetting a step when given long procedures. Also, can not cook anything besides the best fried eggs ever. Everything else he cooks is terrible. Blame it on the lack of tastebuds

keysburger

Old 08-04-2012, 10:11 AM

At first, all there was was blackness.

There was no sound, light, shapes, no sensors were operating, so there was simply no exterior data to process. There was, however, interior data. There were files left in Abes memory about the threat of the world destroying itself. People fled underground, the worlds brightest minds, political refugees, or just plain old regular refugees. These people formed an underground haven, a place where they could feel safe. They clung to that belief even today. Abe was attempting to process more, but then his other sensors started to become operational.

First was his sound reciever and processor. He could hear the buzzing of electricity echoing throughout the laboratory, and he could hear someone breathing in rapid, shallow, unrythmic breaths. Next was his light and color processor and reciever. He could see the lab around him, the unorganized mess, formulas on a chalk board that must have only been readable to one person (and maybe that person's mother). There was a whole lot of information, and one thing was for certain. The man standing over Abe was the most important thing in the room. Abe then said the first thing that came to mind, which was a suggestion from his subroutines.

Hello, sir. My name is Abe, and I am here to assist you. How can I be of service?

Tobi
⊙ω⊙

Old 08-04-2012, 03:58 PM

Sam knew it would take a while for the bot to process everything and become functional (if this all worked at all), but he didn't expect how long it would take to start up. The anxiety was eating at his stomach as the bot buzzed and clunked in place. Seeing as waiting anxiously didn't seem to benefit his well being, the blonde decided to preoccupy himself by playing a lonesome game of tic tac toe against himself. His fingers jutted across the pieces of scratch paper, creating boxes, assigning values of 'X' or 'O' to each box, and then ending with no victor in sight. He repeating the process until the bot went nearly silent for a moment.

Sam stood on his feet, his eyes peering at the bot with utter concentration. This was the moment of truth, Abe will either be a flop or flip. Drip or drop. A four star cuisine or toast. The metaphors didn't make sense anymore, but Sam knew in his heart what he was hoping for: that Abe would wake up, maybe understand the metaphors better then he does, and leave Sam so he wouldn't be so lonely. The anxiety turned to excitement the moment the robot said, "Hello". Every mechanical word after that ringed around the inventor's head for a minute or two, leaving him in momentary silence as he processed what Abe said.

A task. He needed to give Abe a first task. He needed to introduce himself. He needed to do a lot of things, and deciding which order to do them all in was impossible. As brilliant of a mind as he was, he couldn't utter one correct sentence, "Hello, I'm Abe." He thought of the errors in his words already. He shook his arms from side to side as if cancelling out that statement, " No, no, no, you're Abe. I'm Sick Tam Toe. I mean Sam. I want you to play tic tac toe." He realized just how confusing his orders could be to a first time bot. So he cleared his throat and rephrased everything as perfectly as he could in his ecstatic state, in order to do so, he needed to keep his eyes closed, "Hello. I'm Sam. I order you to play a game of tic tac toe with me." The inventor didn't know if he had to be so pushy to the other, and if a simple request would suffice, but his current creation had given him a sense of authority.

keysburger

Old 08-04-2012, 11:17 PM

Abe tried to process each command as it was given to him. First, he wrote his creator's name into his memory as Abe, then erased it and replaced it with "Sick Tam Toe". Then, as the small man waved his arms, renamed himself Sam, and then gave a much clearer order. Perhaps his creator had a glitch in his sound transmitter?
The new order was confusing, both in its suddenly authoritative nature and its content. What was this "TicTacToe?", and what purpose did it serve? The white lights that served as Abe's eyes blinked.
I am sorry, Mr. Sam, but that command does not compute. What is this TacTacToe?

Tobi
⊙ω⊙

Old 08-05-2012, 12:20 AM

"Ah," Sam uttered as he thought of a way to explain tic tac toe to the bot in the clearest terms possible. "It's a game played on a three by three grid." Thinking that example would help, he drew out the border less grid for Abe, displaying his sloppy work to his partner. "In each box you place either an 'x' or 'o' with the goal to get three in a row." He gauged Abe for a reaction, hoping he comprehending the simple game in full clarity, " Sounds simple enough, correct?"
He hopped across the room to hand the robot a pen and sheet, "Here, you give it a go. You'll be 'x's and I'll be 'o's. We'll take turns filling in the grid, starting with you."

keysburger

Old 08-05-2012, 05:17 AM

Abe reached out for the pen, and upon grasping it , instantly crushed it into smithereens.

Disaster! I am so sorry, Mr.Sam. Let me clean this up.

Abe's eyes turned blue, and he was visibly distraught. He had failed his first task ever with his master. Determined not to let this stop him completely, he then picked up the broken pieces, and cast them into a refuse box. He then shot water out of one of his fingers to rinse off the ink from his hands, then wet a cloth and handed it to his master, after cleaning his own hands. He clumsily sauntered over to where the pens were kept, and, this time quite gingerly, picked a pen from the pile and carefully drew a 3X3 grid on the paper. He calculated the most logical move possible, which was to put his "X" on the center square.

Sir, I do believe it is your turn.

Tobi
⊙ω⊙

Old 08-07-2012, 04:11 PM

// Sorry for not posting sooner ^^; I had a picnic with my cousins, and then had to take care of a bunch of bank and school stuff the next day. It was unexpected, otherwise I would have told you sooner about it~//

To watch Abe clean pleased the scientist; it meant he understood social situations to an extent if he knew breaking a pen was a bad thing. It takes a while for most children to learn the differences between good and bad. It was a quirk that appealed to him. Sam hoped cleaning only pertained to the pen though, seeing as he wasn't a cleanly creature himself, and would rather die before seeing his new bot clean and scold him like a mother would. Actually, he wouldn't mind having Abe go about cleaning his home for him. As he found himself lost in conflicted thoughts of Abe's place as a maid, a wet wash cloth was placed in his hands. The soggy towel reignited Sam's excitement for Abe, and followed him as he grabbed a new pen and proceeded with a game of tic tac toe.

Sam looked over the precise board of perfect squares and strong lines. Every little thing Abe did amazed him. The bot mentioned that it was his turn, "Ah. Yes." He took the pen from Abe, and looked over the board to make his mark. He placed an 'O' on the left side of Abe's 'X'. Of course, unlike Abe's exact lettering, Sam's 'O' looked more like a curly, loose oval. He placed the pen back in Abe's hand, challenging the other, "Your move."

keysburger

Old 08-08-2012, 01:27 AM

Abe took a moment to take in his surroundings. The lab was full of mysterious formulas written on the wall, vials of various liquids, and the atmosphere was actually .0001% poison, but Abe decided to point out the tiny discrepancy later. For now, he had to follow orders, and that means he needed to play this game.
Abe saw the game in front of him, and noticed something. He could win the game in 3 moves at the longest! However, his master was not specific in his instructions. He did not order Abe to win the game, just to play it. However, Abe wanted to demostrate his analytical abilities, but he did not want to upset his master by defeating him. He needed to make a decision. His eyes brightened while he contemplated this moral dilemma. He must take a risk either way. He made a decision , and made an "X" in the spot above the middle X.

Mr.Sam, I was wondering, why are we playing this game?

Tobi
⊙ω⊙

Old 08-08-2012, 05:35 PM

Sam took hold of the pen once more and looked over the board carefully to decide his next move. There was one obvious move he needed to make if he didn't want Abe to win their first game. As he was about to make his mark, Abe made his inquiry. Curiosity. He wondered about things as well, even if it was just the purpose of tic tac toe for the moment. It made him question his other possible human features. He explained the purpose of the game, as he placed the 'O' is a square out of the path of his streaking 'x's, "For fun. It's enjoyable to compete with others in simple games like this."

keysburger

Old 08-10-2012, 10:11 PM

Abe's eyes glinted and turned an amber color. He found he was enjoying this game, and he could see his master's point. He felt that he could draw this game out, but he decided on the faster route, and marked the top corner above the "O". Two paths of two "X"s were there, and Abe's eyes glowed with more intensity.
I see what you mean, Mr.Sam. I think this game is perhaps a little too simple, however.