Tachigami
It's quiet, now.
Send a message via AIM to Tachigami

Old 12-02-2012, 11:25 PM

What if you've become trapped in a game you were meant to test?

What if you died while playing?

Don't lose all your hitpoints, or you'll be unplugged for good.

By Velvet and Tachigami

Just a bus ride away was the facility. Gino Moretti was a combination of emotions, mostly, excitement. Only a few people had been selected to test the new game by up-and-coming developers Cloud Isla Games. While there were many games that put you in the middle of the action, Cloud Isla’s new creation “Staff of Galaxies” literally placed you into the game.

Gino had entered the contest out of hope. Millions of others had also entered, he was pretty sure he wouldn’t be drawn out of three. Of course, when he heard his name he didn’t believe it; a dream, he was positive. Now, standing outside the bus station waiting for his ride, he was still dizzy with anticipation. The contest had promised that the winners’ expenses, including hotel stays, would be paid for, and that promise had been kept. He’d been so ready to go he hadn’t stopped to brush his hair; as a taxi pulled up to drop someone off, he studied his reflection. He resembled an overworked office worker that had fallen asleep at his desk, complete with slightly unfocused eyes and mussed light brown hair that wouldn’t stay out of his face.

Before the taxi pulled away, he straightened his clothes as well as he could; Tucking in his shirt and shaking the confused look away. But that was how he usually looked: Confused. Maybe it was the late nights awake, regardless of where he was, editing for various magazines and newspapers. It was a nice feeling to get away from that for a week or two.

A few other people had joined him, waiting for the same bus as him. Gino tended to be early. For everything. Insomnia allowed him to be awake at ridiculously early hours, and he’d learned early on that if he woke at four in the morning, he wouldn’t get back to sleep. He’d been waiting since six, four hours early for his bus. He’d probably looked like a recently-unemployed man desperate for work, sitting outside the station. Video games were his downfall. He’d wait for a day and a half just to make the bus to a once-in-a-lifetime thing like this. From ancient games like Pong, Pac-Man, and Mario to later classics like Portal, Call of Duty, or World of Warcraft, which he’d almost gotten addicted to. To be projected into virtual reality was one of many dreams come true.

He shuddered in anticipation. When would that damn bus get here...?

Velvet
☆♥☆♥

Penpal

Old 12-03-2012, 01:15 AM

The cold drizzling rain did now help with Riley's impatience. She was standing second in line and waiting for a bus that would take her to something she had always dreamed. Being a girl that was fascinated with technology, being one of the few selected to participate in a virtually transmitted game nearly gave her a heart attack. When she had read they were going to be taking applications for volunteers, she didn't hesitate to turn hers in.

She watched the man in front of her tucking in his clothes which suddenly made her a little paranoid. Her own clothing choice wasn't exactly the most attractive. Being a complete tom boy, her fashion mostly consisted of jeans and baggy band t-shirts. Some of her favorite bands were old classics such as Muse, Three Days Grace, and Disturbed. She was often considered an outcast for her older tastes. But ever since she was a kid and was able to get her hands on the ancient Pacman and Mario, she has always had a love for gaming. The newest Sims game was one of her favorite's due to how you could control their exact movements and decisions with your thoughts and actions. But this game she volunteered to test was much greater than that technology. You were the player. The character. The game.

Around her she could hear the familiar honks of cars and the regular city noises. The skyscrapers disappeared into the clouds and the shining glass structures seemed to catch every small beam of light that managed to sneak through the gray clouds. A light fog had settled over the small lake in the park nearby and she tried to keep her mind on it instead of driving herself insane with impatience. Her feet had began to cramp as she had been standing for what felt like hours. She was used to walking at her job, but impatience had a negative effect on her.

Where is the bus? Should it have been here already? Did she go to the wrong place to wait for it? She pushed her blonde hair back out of her face and looked in both directions down the road to see if she could spot the bus.

Tachigami
It's quiet, now.

Old 12-03-2012, 02:32 AM

Gino ground his teeth. They ought to have been nubs by then, but somehow, they’d held up to his annoyed chattering, biting, and grinding. As he’d been the only person around a few hours ago, he’d given voice to his thoughts, but now he risked sounding like the crazy people tended to call him.

He was nearly biting his tongue off by the time the hiss of breaks met his ears. It was almost as though a relieved sigh circulated through the entire waiting line as the bus, a sleek bullet-shaped thing with heavy, pop-resistant silicon tires rolled up to meet them. Digging in his pocket, he found the ticket he and the other testers would need to get to where they were going. The door slid open painfully slow, revealing the dark blue, easy on the eyes interior and the driver at the controls. It seemed busses had become as complex as old jets from the early 2000s; when compared side by side, Gino was oddly fascinated to see how things had changed.

Stepping up quickly, he showed the driver his pass. The middle-aged man nodded a couple times, looking as tired as Gino must have felt. But as he took a seat at the back of the bus, his favorite spot on any form of public transportation, he nearly buzzed with apprehension. So close to his destination, to test the country’s newest game with another lucky participant. It had been revealed that the third and final tester had to cancel their plans, which in Gino’s mind had to be one of the worst conflicts of schedule he’d ever heard. He shuddered to think about doing the same thing, but put the thought out of his mind as he watched the others get on, fiddling with the pass in his hands.

Velvet
☆♥☆♥

Penpal

Old 12-03-2012, 03:06 AM

When Riley saw the bus finally headed for them a surge of excitement bolted through her veins. Her feet suddenly stopped hurting and she no longer was shivering from the cold, but from the adrenaline that as now being pumped through her body.

"Finally." She whispered to herself. She didn't care if the other heard her or not. Surely they were thinking the same thing.

She was in awe as she looked at the comfortable looking interior in the bus as she boarded. She nodded and handed the driver her ticket and hen given the okay, she headed back towards the end of the bus. Seeing there was already someone sitting in the back, she decided to take a seat on the opposite side of him. Might as well strike up a conversation, possibly, maybe...most likely not. Riley sighed as she sat down, she wasn't what someone would call a social butterfly. She mostly kept to herself and was rather shy.

Peering out the window next to her, she tried to contain the excitement she was feeling. Soon she would be part of the newest game. She would be helping to finish develop it, well she liked to think that way at least. She was going to be part of the group that was testing it and that is a very important role in her opinion.

Tachigami
It's quiet, now.

Old 12-03-2012, 03:31 AM

Static. It filled his head as someone else had decided to come to the back. Why, oh, why, why? No one ever sat at the back! Or he was so lucky to frequent busses in which no one did, anyway. It was like two wallflowers having the audacity to grown next to each other. When did that happen!? The static faded when he shook his head a bit, turning his gaze down to the floor of the bus as the last few travelers took their seat.

The doors rolled closed and the bus started forward. On their slightly softer wheels, the ride was smooth, especially on laser-cut concrete roads reinforced with iron. The bus pulled away from the station and fell into traffic, picking up speed quickly and soundly. Gino glanced out the tinted window. The buildings they passed reflected the light even while the sun was hidden in cloud cover. The windows acted as solar panels that trapped both heat and energy from the sun and powered the buildings. The air was so much cleaner now than it used to be.

He hated sitting still. Gino rolled the edges of his paper, staring at its faded text. As much as he’d fiddled with it, he was surprised the paper still held out. He closed his eyes, trying to feel as though he were suspended in time. Just moments...

Velvet
☆♥☆♥

Penpal

Old 12-03-2012, 03:58 AM

Humming to herself, Riley watched the city go by as the bus moved on. She brushed her blonde hair out of her face again and began to run her fingers through it, freeing it of tangled. Her brown eyes were focused on a few drops of water that was struggling to stay on the window.

She then turned to the passenger sitting across from her, "Hi. I'm Riley." She announced, managing to smile politely. She figured she might as well introduce herself. They would be testing the same game together and have to eventually. Might as well get the situation over with. Her eyes were kind as she glanced over him.

The soft buzzing of the engine was barely audible and that made Riley a little uncomfortable. She never liked it to be too quiet. In the city, she had always had to listen to the constant traffic and people chatter, in the country, she at least was able to hear the chirping of bugs and noises of the animals around her. She felt most at home in nature even with her love for technology. She could hear the shifting in the seats from the other passengers and a cough or sneeze occasionally. How long will the bus ride last?

Tachigami
It's quiet, now.

Old 12-03-2012, 04:21 AM

Gino glanced up at the suddenly-spoken words. His ears twitched involuntary, as was to happen when a sudden noise startled him. The girl across had spoken; the concept took a second to settle on his thoughts. Perhaps she wasn't as much of a recluse as he was... But it was rude to ignore others.

"Gino." He returned. "You've been accepted to test Cloud Isla's new game too, I take?"

What was he doing? He was horrifyingly bad at light small talk like this... But it was something, he supposed, and at least it wasn't as bad as ignoring someone right across from you. He looked through the window behind Riley. Buildings were rushing by. It felt like an eternity...

Velvet
☆♥☆♥

Penpal

Old 12-03-2012, 04:41 AM

Riley smiled a little softer, "Yes, I am." Her voice was soft as she spoke. Her shyness was starting the get the better of her, but she carried on anyway, "I wonder how this will turn out. I don't know too much about the type of game we are volunteering for. I mean, I don't really know what it will be about. The theme."

A small blush spread across her cheeks. She suddenly felt a bit embarrassed now. She made herself sound unintelligent, she thought. Why would I say that? You'd think a person would look into that kind of thing for applying. Buut nooo, now I probably sound like an idiot wanting attention.

She now wished for the bus ride to be over more than anything. She felt like the increasing tensity between them was because of her comment, not knowing it was simply from them both not usually talking to strangers.

Tachigami
It's quiet, now.

Old 12-03-2012, 04:49 AM

Gino ran a hand through his hair without thinking, not realizing it made it appear as though he'd applied hairspray in a wind tunnel sideways. This was not his element, not his element at all. He so preferred talking to people over the phone, where there was no body language to worry about. "Yeah... There wasn't much on the form I was given. But by the name, it sounds like a fantasy game." He added quickly. "I've always preferred fantasy-based games."

It was true. Those old Call of Duty and Dead Rising games, they were fine. Set in the future, in a war, in some murderous game show of some sort, it was fine. But he liked magic. It was a nice concept. Magic was almost limitless in what one could think up. He caught himself drifting, and shook out of it.

Perfect. He scolded himself internally. Now anyone who's looking your way must think you're a crack-pot. Why do you keep zoning out like that!? He felt as though he could cut the tension with a knife, eat it, and be good for the rest of the day. The bus turned, visibly moving those on the right.

Velvet
☆♥☆♥

Penpal

Old 12-03-2012, 06:03 AM

"Ah, that's great then. Magic is exciting. I think it will be very interesting indeed." She bit her bottom lip, she wasn't being very smooth, she thought. Just the opposite. She twirls her hair in her fingers, becoming tangled up. She had trouble releasing her finger from her hair and now felt like a definite idiot. Her blush darkened as she finally managed to get her finger out of her hair.

But her embarrassment just started. The bus then turned and she ended hitting her head on the window right as she yanked her finger from her hair, "Ouch." She rubbed her head, clearly embarrassed. Great. Now he is definitely going to think I am a a total klutz. She then tensed up and tried to ignore the throbbing in her head and laugh it off, "Crazy driver." She shakily said in a poor attempt to blame her clumsiness on someone else.

Smoothing out her baggy tshirt, she felt as dumb as ever. The tension she felt increased and she was about to give up. She wasn't any good at talking to people, she was much more used to talking to her pets at home or chatting over the web universe. That, she could blame for her awkwardness towards others in reality.

Tachigami
It's quiet, now.

Old 12-03-2012, 06:09 AM

Gino steadied himself as the bus straightened onto its new street, and chuckled a bit; it showed his awkwardness more than ever. He was so used to hitting the mute on his phone when he needed to take a moment, then blame it on faulty connection. But now he couldn't just close his eyes and wish everything away for thirty seconds. That would look as stupid as it sometimes felt. The only difference was, Gino was usually alone when he felt stupid.

He sighed, reaching his wall and being unable to climb it. "God, I'm not good at talking to people." He huffed at last. "It's so much easier to talk over a computer screen or telephone for me." He used both hands to swipe them through his hair, making it lie down at last. "You must think I'm a complete idiot, eh?" He tried to laugh it off. If he got any more flustered, he might as well just melt into the floor right now. He certainly felt like doing so.

Velvet
☆♥☆♥

Penpal

Old 12-03-2012, 06:22 AM

Riley's knees felt wobbly even though she wasn't putting any weight on them, "Oh, I know the feeling.." she muttered. "I hardly ever leave the safety of my home life and go out to chat with people. I'm not very social able. I just thought it might help the ride g-go a little faster.." She stammered and suddenly wished she could disappear into the seat she was sitting on.

The rain started making soft tinks on the roof of the bus, "I'm sorry to cause you any discomfort. It really is my fault.." She sighed and brushed out the tangles she had caused to form in her hair when she was nervously playing with it. She hummed softly as she listened to the raindrops, feeling a little more at ease and the sound peacefully drummed in her head.

Tachigami
It's quiet, now.

Old 12-03-2012, 06:31 AM

Gino hid a pained look. She was quite similar to him. How nice... Or not. He'd not wish this social phobia on anyone. "That's kind of why I'm stuck at home all the time. I even work from home; if I could, I'd barricade the door and never leave again." But of course that was impossible. He'd tried before. Making it fourteen days before cabin fever set in and he was ready to kill every electronic in his electronics-ridden home.

He shut up. She'd fallen silent, now it was his turn. Maybe this was why he didn't have friends; too talky when he talked. Leaning forward, he folded his hands on the back of his head and closed his eyes. It made every uncomfortable thing move faster, even if it wasn't entirely normal. But he'd already made a fool of himself---why not seal the suspicion? Above the hum of the bus engine, he could hear raindrops falling on the roof. What a nice sound...

Velvet
☆♥☆♥

Penpal

Old 12-03-2012, 06:38 AM

She felt as though she could fall asleep listening the the pleasant sound of rain. She had always enjoyed the rain. Especially the warm rain when she was on the farm. It always felt so cleansing. "Do you like the rain?" Riley glanced over back at Gino, breaking the silence once more. "I really enjoy it, not so much in the cities as in the country, but it really sets the mood. I really enjoy sitting by my reading window at my apartment when it rains. Watching it is fascinating to me.."

She cut herself off, feeling like a total creep. Who talks about loving the rain? Seriously, she was making herself look like a total weirdo! But then again, she kind of was. She always had considered herself different from the rest of her family. She had two sisters that were pretty much the definition of a party. They were loud, talkative, and very pretty. They always brought out the fun side in everything, but she was nothing like them. She thought herself to have a boring look and a boring life compared to anyone else, but she was happy with herself. That was all that mattered.

Tachigami
It's quiet, now.

Old 12-03-2012, 06:47 AM

Gino glanced up to make sure Riley was talking to him. Indeed she was. What a switch! No one was telling him to be quiet, or avoiding him and his odd topics of conversation. He sat up a bit, though he still maintained a generally poor posture reminiscent of a heavy reader, recluse, or computer junkie. "I love the rain." He admitted. "It's probably one of the best things in nature." He paused, thinking before he spoke. "When I was young, I lived in a wooded area, more country-like. When it rained, I'd be up on the roof, under a lip below the attic area. I can remember those nights well; they were my favorite times. It's almost the only natural thing in cities like this, anyway..."

He cut himself off. If he didn't force himself to shut up, he'd rattle on about his home life, and no one who was a relative stranger wanted to hear about that. He'd grown up in a cabin, built by his parents. They were quiet, with few friends, but they were loving. His obsession with video games and technology, though accepted, wasn't necessarily supported. It really set him apart from his parents... How long had it been since he spoke to them last...?

Velvet
☆♥☆♥

Penpal

Old 12-05-2012, 02:07 AM

"I agree. There is nothing else like it. I miss those days I would sit outside by the stream under the great willow while it rained. It was most beautiful to watch the rain drops drip from the branches..Everything there was so perfect." She cut herself off. Memories would bring a long the emotions that were created with them. Riley actually longed to go back to that place, but with work and her obsession with technology and gaming had called her to this city. "I mean, it wasn't just the rain that made that place so fantastic. Being so far away from anyone and everyone and being able to enjoy the clean and natural feel of things..."

She sighed, "I don't much like the city. Too crowded for my tastes, honestly.." She stopped herself once more. Great. What if I offended him now? He's going to end up thinking I am some arrogant and ignorant girl. She kept telling herself she needed to stop talking and sharing memories before she totally destroys her self image with him. After all, she was going to be stuck near him for the next few weeks while testing this game.

Tachigami
It's quiet, now.

Old 12-05-2012, 02:43 AM

As Riley spoke of her home, Gino thought back to his. They'd lived near a lake. It was so amazing to watch the sun rise over that still, mirror-like surface, while the fish beneath its smooth surface flitted about, waiting for the small flying insects to be lured out by the heat of morning so they could catch them. And when it rained, the waters vibrated like a speaker system. These days one couldn't see the fish when looking into the water, but if you stood still long enough, they'd jump out, as if relishing the water falling from the sky. Gino had always gotten into trouble during these days, because he'd walk out to the dock and stand on the edge, right over the water, while the storm raged above him and soaked him, plastering his clothes and hair down.

He shook himself out of his faint memory as Riley mentioned disliking city-life. "I couldn't agree more." He muttered. "I feel terribly paranoid, like everyone's watching me when I walk or ride the bus..." He glanced down to the others riding. "Heh, I guess it's just from living in the woods so long..." He breathed out slowly. "But I've got to live here; while I'm trying to get some stories published, anyway, and in the meantime editing news and magazine articles. I've got to be within touch, so leaving isn't an option..."

He shut himself up before he could babble on any more. He'd been told he talked too much too many times, yet it was almost a nervous habit. And if he proved to be too annoying... Who would want to be stuck for at least two months, testing an MMORPG in a virtual world in which you tend to have to work with others...?

Velvet
☆♥☆♥

Penpal

Old 12-09-2012, 06:44 PM

Smiling mostly to herself, Riley couldn't help but to begin thinking of her own past home. "I used to fish a lot with my dad back home." She grinned at the memories, "He taught me everything he knew about it and as a young girl I took great interest in everything about nature since I was out in in so often." Those fond memories were what helped to keep her going. Her dream was to be able to save up enough money to be able to purchase her own dream home out in the country, which was hard to find these days. She would have the best technology that would run perfectly out in the middle of no where.

She glanced over at him and the tension she felt began to settle a bit. He seemed to be a lot like her in a few ways. At least they had something in common, that would help ease the shyness for her. The rain continued to drum on the roof of the bus in soft rhythms that put her at ease as she listened. "The rain is wonderful.." She murmured, "When I was younger I would often get into trouble for going out in it. I liked to go out and watch it. Especially storms. But after getting myself drenched and muddy, my mother didn't like it.." She didn't dare say she would still go out and do just the same if she could.

Tachigami
It's quiet, now.

Old 12-09-2012, 08:56 PM

Gino sighed. He recalled suddenly his parents, and times when he was younger and not quite as obsessed with games and technology. "My parents would usually take me out to the middle of nowhere with an old car and some camping things. No technology at all. We'd stay out there for days, and out there, you could see millions of stars right above you. No light to drown them out. And while we were out there, it was like there was nothing missing. Everything you'd ever need was right there already." He fell silent. The sight of a billion stars above his head came back, and his big, bright eyes were staring from his little pallet, through the thin but strong clear-plastic roof of the tent. He wanted to go back. So bad, he wanted to see that again. The forest was ageless, beautiful, and no amount of human altercation could truly force it to be any smaller. Maybe he'd patch things up with his parents when his career took off...

Gino managed to laugh at that. "I'd go out in the rain all the time. Never learned my lesson, even after my parents kept me grounded for months." He thought back. Usually he'd be told to stay in his bedroom. He didn't mind. He had a window, and could look at the wall of trees and the lake, the dock and the red boat bobbing in the water. Sometimes he'd open his window and get out that way, though, crawling over the lightly slanted rooftop. "I still do it, actually." Gino admitted. "I'll go out in the rain, and stay out until I'm freezing. I guess I'm still a kid at heart when it comes to storms." He sighed again. It was oddly easy to talk to Riley, not terribly forced or awkward like many conversations were from beginning to end. There was an easiness to their interactions, recalling their pasts and sharing their love of the rain was almost like speaking with a friend.

The bus lurched to a stop. "Cloud Isla." The driver's voice was magnified evenly through the interior. Gino's jaw clenched slightly in apprehension. "Sounds like we made it." he noted, standing and stretching his legs. Before moving, he glanced out the window. All he could see was a wall of windows and a small cave-like area where the entrance was. Loud, thick blue lettering read "Cloud Isla Facility".

Velvet
☆♥☆♥

Penpal

Old 12-10-2012, 12:04 AM

Riley smiled at his memories, "Sounds pleasantly amazing." She said softly as he stated his camping memories, "The stars are definitely another obsession of mine.." She then trailed off and started to giggle when Gino said he'd still go out in the rain, "That's funny." She giggled again, "I'd do the exact same thing. I have tried in the city to only get the unapproved glances from others. Guess that's why I never talk to many people.. they just don't understand." She fell silent though when she saw that the bus was coming up on their destination.

"Wow." She stood and stared at the magnificent structure of the enormous building before them. "We finally made it here, huh?" She studied the bold lettering that was over the entrance of this building.

Excitement began to ripple through her, causing tiny goosebumps to spread along her arms and legs as she leaned forward to try and see better. Butterflies fluttered in her stomach and her throat was suddenly parched as the bus came to a halt in front of the gaming facility.

"This is amazing." Riley grinned and moved forward a tad bit, her eyes fixated on the towering building before her. It was absolutely huge and everything she had imagined it to be. The next few weeks were going to be a thrill ride and she was just pulsating with excitement and felt as if her head as going to explode from it. She just couldn't get off the bus quick enough as the passengers began to unload. She was pretty sure she had stepped on someone's foot, but she ignored the quiet "ow" and kept moving forward until she was standing on the smooth sidewalk that led to the entrance.

Tachigami
It's quiet, now.

Old 12-11-2012, 11:29 PM

Gino waited until everyone else was standing and in the isles before he decided to join them. In reality, he appeared rather timid and accepting of these situations, allowing everyone else in front of him or first in line---But behind the mask of anonymity, online, in the world of gaming, he was relentless. The prospect of creating one's very own secondary body, fitting like a glove over the fragile first one, nearly had him visibly vibrating with excitement. At least he'd get along with his testing partner, and that was a big issue even before he'd accepted the offer. At least they agreed on a few obvious things, and that was a good start. When he reached the several steps to get off the bus, it took a moment for Gino to get his legs to work, but he managed to stumble down and onto the pale sidewalk as the rest of the passengers dispersed. He stepped up beside Riley as she paused.

What a massive building. Well over two hundred floors. Every floor seemed to be coated in glass, windows showing off pristine white hallways and corridors with doors that led to various offices, testing rooms, and storage areas, panels built straight into the walls to control the facility's electrical output, regulate temperature, test and check water pressure, and many, many other intricate, precisely-balanced readings. Though his eyes were glued to the building and its massive electric-blue sign far, far above them, Gino felt around his pocket and pulled one of the papers he'd been mailed out to unfold it. A printed map had been included of the facility's ground floor, marked here and there with where he---and anyone else---needed to go.

"Looks like we'll be going to the lower levels." Gino said, glancing to Riley as the rain patted the paper. He wouldn't need it for more than a few minutes, though. "The testing room takes up most of the basement level, because they're going to be monitoring our responses while in the game. It says we'll be in a semi-conscious state while in the game, and won't be brought out of it until we've safely exited the system." He glanced sideways as he folded the paper. "After you." He nodded, shoving his hands into his pockets as a habitual reflex.

Velvet
☆♥☆♥

Penpal

Old 12-12-2012, 12:10 AM

Riley was marveling at the structure of this gaming industry and was nearly startled when Gino spoke to her again, "Oh, that's right. I remember reading about the room we will be in. Dark walls, low light. Supposedly the way the room is arranged supports the testing progress positively and allows for the system to run smoother. Less heat." Riley paused, "I suspect something that is so advanced in technology generates a substantial amount of heat.." She cut herself off partly because the group had started to head towards the attractive entrance, but mostly because the excitement that was zapping through her body was causing her voice to be a bit shaky and speak faster.

She glanced back at Gino as she began to follow the group into the building, a smile lighting up her face. She was obviously excited and though she was trying to conceal it, anyone who looked at her could see it shimmering off her body like the moonlight shimmers on the ripples of a lake. And though the rain that was dampening her hair and somewhat chilly, Riley began to feel suddenly warm. The excitement was causing her to have a random heat flash, yet she was shaking with shrill excitement.

Turning to Gino, "I can't believe we are about to test a game that breaks all records." Her voice was still shaking, "We are testing partners, correct? I hope so, it would be nice to be able to stick closer to someone that I have already been acquainted to.." She then cut herself off, fearing she was sounding too needy and strange.

Tachigami
It's quiet, now.

Old 12-12-2012, 02:29 AM

Gino was nudged along as the crowd began forward. He made his way along, accepting the prompt, keeping at Riley's side as they got out of the rain. Many in the group held umbrellas, including the ones near the two, which let some of it avoid them. He looked Riley's way as she spoke again. He didn't realize he'd began smiling through a combination of recognition and anticipation. "I'd assume we are." He said. "While the game is integrated into the Internet for mass, world-wide playing ability, it's still offline for testing, and we're the only two available of three. More than likely we'll be able to interact within the game and assist one another with available quests."

He looked up to the building once more before they entered, and the crowd began smoothing out in random trickles, going wherever they needed to go and leaving Gino and Riley. Recalling the map, he nodded to the left. "The elevator to the underground level is that way, at the end of the main hallway." He said, and started forward. Though his mind wouldn't allow his mouth to be quiet: "I believe due to the huge number of races and classes, it's best to partner or group up with an even layout, with people that can help each other and make a powerful team. That's why they included such a large number of known and recently-created races---I've heard the races can be split to make your finished character two races instead of just one."

Though Gino's mind kept moving on and on, he forced himself to be quiet. When it came to something like this... he just couldn't quite make himself silent. The elevator came into sight, a relief that they were so, so close to their destination.

Velvet
☆♥☆♥

Penpal

Old 12-12-2012, 04:35 AM

"Well, I'm glad we were able to talk some before we were forced to. That probably will help us communicate better when we get into the game.." She paused, "Err, I think it will help at least.." She really hoped he didn't think her too strange. If they were to be partners then they would be working together for some time until the testing of the game is completed.

Upon entering the building, Riley was amazed at how much larger it looked once inside. The outside was magnificent in itself, but didn't do justice to the wide open and brightly lit inside. There were random posters on the walls in expensive looking frames advertising some older and original games as well as the incredibly ancient Mario and the even more ancient Lester the Unlikely. It was extraordinary, almost like a collage of older generation games. "After you." She smiled as she followed Gino towards the elevator. The thought of nearly being to the room that was giving her the chance she had always dreamed of was so intoxicating. And like a alcoholic drink, the thought was making her knees a bit wobbly, proving more difficult for her to walk straight. Which resulted in her stumbling over her on feet and falling into Gino, but not hard enough, she hoped, to cause him to fall. "I-I'm so sorry. I am a bit.. er.. clumsy." She bit her lip, a bright red spreading across her cheeks.

Feeling completely embarrassed, she pressed the elevator button with an arrow pointing down and waited for their elevator to open its doors.

Tachigami
It's quiet, now.

Old 12-14-2012, 08:59 PM

Gino managed to right himself quickly as Riley fell into him, more shocked at the suddenness than at the incident itself. There were plenty of times people fell into him, ran into him, tripped on him, or he tripped on them. Each time was the same mumbled "Sorry." and rush along. But this was different. He knew this person, if only a little. As she muttered her apology and poked the 'down' button, he patted her shoulder. "Don't worry about it." He said with a light, reassuring smile. "Things happen."

It was odd how normal he felt around this particular person. He had few friends, and they were rather scattered, but to be paired up with someone he seemed to get along with so well...? It was a one in six billion chance! The odds couldn't have been less in his favor, or, perhaps, less in Riley's favor, as she seemed very much like him. He smiled to himself at that. A month or so with someone he could get along with, and who he hoped could get along with him, was definitely the cherry on top.

The elevator came to a sudden halt, almost shocking himself out of his thoughts. The wide doors slid open and, as they exited before they closed again, they stepped into relative darkness on a sidewalk that, at their presence, started forward. The area was lit with electric blue runners along the ceiling and walls that made various geometric patterns. As they were moved along, a voice spoke over an intercom: "Welcome to Cloud Isla's elite testing facility! Riley and Gino, our honored testers, have arrived. Please remain still until the ride has come to an end, and enter the door on the right!"