Chi
Dancing to her own beat..
Penpal

Old 02-24-2008, 08:57 PM

I appreciate the criticism, Seiki, as it is constructive.

However, for this particular debate, you weren't there to see it, and a lot of the points you brought up actually were discussed, and they were discussed in a timely manner. This wasn't something that was easily thrown together. It was debated and voted on more than once.

As you've already pointed out, the staff does keep a log of who changes their name. However, users don't see when someone has changed a name. We do, but they don't.

Edit to King:
I'll note your idea down. Thank you for it. :)

Seiki Nova
Wishing on Shooting Stars

Old 02-24-2008, 08:58 PM

There shouldn't have to be a redemption program thing. After being banned, a new account should be a fresh start. After receiving a warning, a user should know that they've done something wrong and that if it happens again, further action should be taken. This shouldn't be about punishment at all!

Chi, of course I wasn't there to see it. I was fired because of a comment I made when I was angry and because of a prior message to Juru that I wrote when I was upset and practically hated the staff that made Lee hate me.

Whether or not you discussed what I brought up, I can't exactly say. I don't know who it was discussed between or why the final decision was made like this but I still disagree with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi
However, users don't see when someone has changed a name. We do, but they don't.
What is that supposed to mean? I don't see how that has anything to do with the topic. Users don't need to see who has their name changed. They didn't before this whole new policy came into play, so why should they now? It's a redundant point.

King
Wearer of glow-in-the-dark snowm...
Send a message via MSN to King

Old 02-24-2008, 09:03 PM

If I understand what you're saying Seiki you mean if a person is banned and creates a new account their past actions should be cleared? This would mean that offsite traders, bots, and trolls could come back and redo their actions multiple times.

I'm going to create a a post in the feedback forum as I want to see other users' reactions.

Chi
Penpal

Old 02-24-2008, 09:15 PM

Seiki, you're fully allowed to disagree with the name change system. I'm not faulting you for it in any way. I do mean what I said. I appreciate the comments.

Back to the official warnings/banned accounts thing. Some of the staff felt it was better that if a user had been attempting scams or other tricks (i.e. big ticket warnings, not smaller ones like spamming, for example), they really shouldn't be allowed to hide behind a new username.

Mozzetti
(^._.^)ノ

Old 02-24-2008, 09:24 PM

I am slightly confused here. Currently there is no system set up so that users can change their name on their own. Everyone still has to PM a CM and have that CM change their name for them. And since the CMs are still handling all of the name changes, I don't understand why banned users, and users with warnings aren't allowed to have a name change. The Community Managers could easily just deny anyone who they think may want a name change for shady things.

Chiairen brought up this point;
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiairen Hoshino
Quote:
Originally Posted by fevertofuture
...I'm kind of confused about the no-warnings rule. What was the reasoning behind that?
It's in hopes of reducing troubles between users. If someone were warned for attempting to scam other members, for example, they might feel that they could get away with it if they had a name change. (i.e. "No one will know me now, so I'll try again.")
It's a valid argument, but if some scammer wanted to change their name, they'd still have to PM a Community Manager to do it. The CM could easily deny the scammer's request. The rule just seems like it's punishing banned members even more.

Maybe it should be a case by case basis for warned / banned users?

Angel Spirit Girl
8>>(^.^)

Old 02-24-2008, 09:26 PM

So, if the warning was about posting, not scamming/hacking, then the warning won't stop a name change?

fuyumi_saito
(。・ω・&...
Send a message via MSN to fuyumi_saito

Old 02-24-2008, 10:27 PM

....Gods that's a lot of gold. I'll just get a huge sign in my signature that tells people to call me Fuyumi.. -_-' true I earn gold in telling people to do that, but it's annoying..

edit:
I could come up with a very good and reasonable argument as to why this isn't the best idea that you've come up with..but.. I doubt you'll change your mind no matter how much sense I can make out of a different idea..so yeah. *shrugs* if you want to know, then please be polite when you ask me..and..no...pming..please.....O_O" scares me..

Vappor1
ʘ‿ʘ
Send a message via MSN to Vappor1 Send a message via Yahoo to Vappor1

Old 02-24-2008, 10:34 PM

Oh, that's a lot of gold! D=

Like.. a LOT. :'(
At least it's implemented now, though. *Nod nod*

Chi
Penpal

Old 02-24-2008, 10:44 PM

What is your idea, Fuyumi? ^^

fuyumi_saito
(。・ω・&...

Old 02-24-2008, 10:51 PM

maybe make the first time free? 1,000 gold just to change your username..is a bit much. I wouldn't mind getting rid of the _saito part of my name, because that's a last name..and it's a bit disrespectful for people to call a girl by their last name..but.. umm..yeah ^^" it's just a culture thing..so I can ignore that..

but when I was depressed, I made my mule..his name is "nolove" and..well.. not the best name for a charity mule..and I can't afford 1k just to change his name, with the possibility for events popping up any day or week now..plus it's hard to earn gold..you know..?... so....umm...yeah ^^"

nevermind. I could go into more of a debate thing, but it's sunday..and.. on sundays I'm..very... sunday isn't a good day for me, plus I just got my meds today, took them. and honestly I feel more depressed than normal..-_-' so I'm not in the mood..so sorry for wasting your time.

daashi
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Old 02-25-2008, 01:14 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by daashi
If we can give a legitmate excuse for why we want a name change can we get a discount?
More than likely, no. There are exceptions made for harassment and stalking, provided you give proof. You'd just have to PM an online CM (or an AA if no CMs are on) and give them your case if that person starts bothering you.
Well that sucks!

I have to wait to get stalked again before anyone is willing to do anything!

That completely sucks!

Joico
ʘ‿ʘ

Old 02-25-2008, 01:28 AM

Awesome, I hope to never need it but it may come in handy some day :)

Cruu
\ (•◡•) /
Banned
Send a message via AIM to Cruu Send a message via MSN to Cruu

Old 02-25-2008, 01:28 AM

Hmm... I have a question, though I'm not sure if it was answered already or not. >____>;; ANYWAY. Here goes.

My mule, Mikami, has already had a name change. And I believe you were the person who helped me with the change, Hoshi. But this was before this system was implemented. Now, given I wanted to change his name again, which I had thoughts of doing, how much would it cost? 1000g or 1500g?

fuyumi_saito
(。・ω・&...

Old 02-25-2008, 01:51 AM

...Yeah..people got their names changed for free before. can't someone like....*blinks* I don't know..make first one free then go 500 gold after that?

Seiki Nova
Wishing on Shooting Stars

Old 02-25-2008, 02:10 AM

Quote:
Seiki, you're fully allowed to disagree with the name change system. I'm not faulting you for it in any way. I do mean what I said. I appreciate the comments.

Back to the official warnings/banned accounts thing. Some of the staff felt it was better that if a user had been attempting scams or other tricks (i.e. big ticket warnings, not smaller ones like spamming, for example), they really shouldn't be allowed to hide behind a new username.
But your rules are stating any user with a warning should not be allowed to have their name changed because they did in fact get a warning. It's contradictory of the rules for you to say that only big ticket warnings aren't allowed to change their names. And even then, is a big ticket warning really enough for a user to not be allowed to change their name?

And why is there no probationary period to allow users who have big ticket warnings to redeem themselves before they'd be allowed to change their names? This just seems like something that would have been thought of and taken into account because while someone may have broken the rules, their punishment shouldn't be something trivial like not allowing them a name change.

To everyone who says that a username change should be free for the first one, I'll agree with you. Again though, I think this is a moot point because as this name change system is in effect for almost every user on the site, it would be redundant to have the Community Managers accept name change requests and have to go into the system to change the usernames for nothing on your part other than you don't like the name change anymore. And there are situations that will allow you simple changes in your name for free if you read the first post.

Chi
Penpal

Old 02-25-2008, 05:09 AM

The rules have been edited. Thank you all for the constructive criticism. While we can't make everyone happy, we will look at previously banned users and those with official warnings on a case-by-case basis now.

Any users who have had their names changed in the past need not worry. The announcement affects name changes from here on out, not those done days, weeks or months ago.

Unfortunately, no freebies will be given. The system was put in place so that users can change their name whenever they'd like, and for whatever reason, but not so that the staff is changing user names all day long. We realize the cost is steep, but it is in place for a reason. We apologize for any frustration this causes.

If I've overlooked anyone's comments, please feel free to PM me or post again. I apologize if this is the case.

Edit: Daashi, should someone stalk you on here, contact someone immediately. If the harassment is high enough they'd be taken care of. Stalking users isn't allowed, and we take it seriously. If something's going on now, PM me or someone else, please.

Rebekah
⊙ω⊙

Old 02-25-2008, 05:50 AM

Although i do agree that the price should go up the more a user changes their name i also believe it should start lower (500g) to begin with, since 1000g is very hard to earn if your not an exchanger.

anyone and everyone
You can call me Blade.

Old 02-25-2008, 09:17 AM

Considering I can make about 1,000 gold in about three or four days of semi-casual posting plus fishing, I don't think 1,000 gold is 'very hard' to do if you're not an Exchanger..... I don't touch the Exchange myself, if I can help it. XD;

But I do type an awful lot, so it may be more difficult for less wordy people than myself. XD;

Trinitydoll
(ο・㉨・&...
Banned
Send a message via MSN to Trinitydoll

Old 02-25-2008, 11:10 AM

To have options is always good even if you have to pay for it it is better than not having the option and I understand why Mods put the price, otherwise it was going to be hell, thank God I'm pretty happy with my name *huggles name* n_n

Nuru
Dead Account Holder

Old 02-25-2008, 01:09 PM

Oh wow, that's expensive. Good thing I like my username x3
Well, at least this way people won't take advantage of it.

aonith
\ (•◡•) /

Old 02-25-2008, 01:54 PM

The fact that username changes are now awailable is very good. And I don't think that they should be cheaper, tghe price is just perfect.

daashi
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Old 02-25-2008, 02:10 PM

But Chi you are still saying that I have to be stalked again before anything can be done.ene's

I know the person who stalked me online and I'm terribly afraid of coming on to this and other sites in which I use this username and find him here.

I have left sites because whenever I was on, he was there online and sending me messages and telling things about myself that I was not comfortable sharing online.

The fact that you (Mene's Staff) won't do anything for people until they become victims yet again concerns me.

Sizzla
Gangsta Biatch
Send a message via AIM to Sizzla

Old 02-25-2008, 02:38 PM

Daashi, if someone is stalking you, you can report it at any time. We would like you to provide some sort of evidence that it is going on though, but you don't have to wait until someone does it again. I don't think that's what Chi was saying at all.

If you do find someone is stalking you, please save the PMs, instant message conversations, things like that. We can't do anything about it unless we have some evidence that it is going on. Otherwise it's your word against someone else's.

Feel free to PM any of the CMs at any time in regard to this. You don't have to wait.

Cami
(ó㉨ò)

Old 02-25-2008, 02:38 PM

Daashi: You should actually PM Chi and discuss the case with her further. I don't think that's what she's saying.

Chi
Penpal

Old 02-25-2008, 04:05 PM

Thank you, Sizzla and Cami.

Feel free to PM me or another online CM, Daashi. Staff in no way wants their users to be stalked or harassed, and I'm sorry you interpreted my post as such.