Miyako
(-.-)zzZ

Old 10-04-2007, 01:23 AM

Hmmm for Fantasy I would recommend the books: Inkheart, Eragon, Harry Potter (lol), and the Dragon Lance series.. Those are pretty much the only books I really remember..XD.. Oh and also I think the book "Bridge to Terabithia" would be a good book too....
n_n

Dearest
Master of Cupcakes

Old 10-06-2007, 10:26 AM

"Special Topics In Calamity Physics" by Marisha Pessl is a really good book... It's different from any other book I have ever read, very entertaining and exciting. It's the only book I like which can't be characterised as Fantasy. It's amazing, and really worth to check out ^^

Ladyravin
(-.-)zzZ

Old 10-07-2007, 05:57 AM

The Tortall (I don’t think that’s spelt right) series by Tamora Pierce. There are 4 booms in the first series, 4 in the next, 4 in the third series and then 2 in the last, but there are some new books out that I haven’t read so I’ll get back to you with those.

Shanti

Old 10-07-2007, 07:21 PM

Life of pi!!! It is an absolute must to read!! One of my favourites (and this is coming from someone who generally reads 1 book a week). It's so sweet... For those who have read it, I have only three words:
"GO RICHARD PARKER!!!" =D
THe book is about an indian boy who likes to think about philosophy and religion allot. He's; jewish, christian AND a muslim. For example, there's this really funny story in the book (it's a true story) where his rabbi, imam and priest bump into him at the same time (they don't know he believes in all 3 religions!!). But the main part of the story is about when he's moving to canada with his parents- they're taking a boat from japan with all their animals (they own a zoo- and are going to sell most of them in canada). Well, the boat sinks and pi (piscine-swimmingpool in french) is the only survivor. Together with a zebra with a broken leg, uh.. some hyenas I think and richard parker (a TIGER). The book is really funny, and it ends (250 I think??) days later when pi arrives with his fleet in mexico. (you get to know this at the beginning of the book).

And guess what? he isn't alone. Because on the fleet with him is Richard Parker. (I believe in Richard Parker!!=D -inside joke)

LivingIsSuicide
(-.-)zzZ
Send a message via Yahoo to LivingIsSuicide

Old 10-08-2007, 03:48 AM

Well, I think just about all the authors I thought of have already been mentioned.

But...I don't think these have!

If you're ever in the mood to read something that will make you think about life, love, religion, philosophy, etc...Check out:

Richard Bach. The man is absolutely amazing, his thoughts and ideas will really make you rethink everything you know and accept.

Also:

Although he isn't an author I would suggest checking out any of the Edgar Cayce books. Edgar Cayce on Reincarnation, Edgar Cayce on Atlantis, and Edgar Cayce on Prophecy were all very interesting books. I actually ended up adopting most of my beliefs from things that he had said.

` Vi
Dead Account Holder

Old 10-09-2007, 12:13 AM

I really enjoyed 'Bitten' and 'Stolen' by Kelley Armstrong. They're about werewolves, the main character Elena is the only female werewolf in existence, because it's a hereditary father-to-son thing, and most humans who are bitten don't survive. It's really interesting, but it's rather... graphic in some parts, in several different ways, but they're witty and entertaining on the other hand.

I also really, really loved 'The Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy: A Trilogy in Five Parts' by Douglas Adams. Funny stuff.

DarkMelancholy
⊙ω⊙

Old 10-09-2007, 12:56 AM

The Lake of Dead Languages by Carol Goodman

A Gothic Mystery. There was a legend of how three girls had drowned in the lake, and three stones had appeared to represent them. Each year, three girls were drawn into the lake and drowned.

Jane Hudson returned to the school, where her two best friends had drowned in the lake, to find out that it was happening all over again. The exact same way her friends died was happening to her students.

I really love this story. It keeps you guessing until the end. :)

StarDust

Old 10-11-2007, 07:56 AM

Oohoho! *waves arms around!*
I know of a great book that's not well known at all. I found it buried on a shelf one day.
It's called Girl in a Box.. I really can't think who wrote it but it really touched me and inspired me. Life hasn't been the same. It gave me hope in some weird way.

I know it might seem silly but read it and maybe you'll see what I mean. n__n
<3

Emrysa
ʘ‿ʘ
Send a message via AIM to Emrysa

Old 10-11-2007, 09:09 AM

I recommend
Drawing Blood - Poppy Z. Brite [Horror]
Here be Dragons - Sharon Kay Penman [Historical Fiction]
Anything by Jacqueline Carey [High Fantasy]

Ariel
*^_^*

Old 10-11-2007, 01:48 PM

Fire Bringer and The Sight by David Clement-Davies are great books! I haven't read any of his other novels yet, but I plan to once I find them. Eragon and Eldest by Christopher Paolini is also a good book, but the movie was poorly done.

Karly Unique
Dead Account Holder

Old 10-12-2007, 12:30 AM

Karly suggests reading:

Twighlight
New Moon
Eclipse

They're all by Stephanie Meyers and they are teh sexiness!! <3

Sir.Spoon
(^._.^)ノ

Old 10-12-2007, 02:19 AM

Sir.Spoon recommends.

Bang Crunch
Blood Letting And Other Miraculous Cures
The Lovely Bones
The Bean Trees
The Poison Wood Bible
Anything By Max Haines!

Rawkness
Meccha leccha hi, meccha hiney h...
Send a message via AIM to Rawkness Send a message via Yahoo to Rawkness

Old 10-12-2007, 02:20 AM

I've only read The Mirror of Merlin of The Lost Years of Merlin series, because it was given to me. I hope I can read the other books soon.

The Forgotten Door is a book I have to reccomend. It's about a boy named Little Jon who falls through the forgotten Door on his planet, and finds himself on Earth. A family comes to his aid, but people are stirring up trouble. It's a great read, and you never get tired of it.

Brain-Damnage
⊙ω⊙

Old 10-12-2007, 03:13 AM

It - Stephen King. Even if horror isn't your thing, the characters are just phenomenal...and the plot weaves in and out of itself so many times; it's hard not to get hooked.

One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest - Ken Kesey...one of the best damn books I've ever read. Very disturbing, but beautifully executed...it addresses a mental institute in (I believe) the sixties, but the societal overtones and inferences are awesome.

Ishihara Mika
Dead Account Holder

Old 10-12-2007, 10:31 AM

Tithe by Holly Black is a good book to read if you really enjoy the fantasy genre. ^^

It has numerous plot twists, a good starting hook that keeps you reading, and an all out amusing plot. It'll have you laughing, it'll have you biting your nails in anticipation, it'll have you angry, and it'll have you feeling all sorts of emotions for the characters. Which is a good thing, I think!

It's a type of plot scenario where there really aren't any 'good guys' or 'bad guys' to be defined. In the end you realize that either way, a villain of some sort is going to win, and it's entertaining to find out how - or even if - the protagonist is able to sort out the lesser of two evils. <3

A world of pixies, kelpies, magic and more! Set in modern times, and absolutely brilliant. I really hope you enjoy it.

It also may contain some language and content that is offensive to some people, as a simple warning. Don't worry, it's not a graphic novel... but there is some bad language, some suggestive content and some gore if I remember corectly. ^^

But... it just adds some realism to a story that is clearly fictional.

Jynk
⊙ω⊙
Send a message via AIM to Jynk

Old 10-12-2007, 10:53 AM

Book recommendations... this could be a long list. Heh. I'll try and keep it on the short side, though.

Parasite Eve - Hideaki Sena (Japanese Horror)
A woman dies in a mysterious crash and her kidney is donated to a girl... then things get really bizarre. The woman's husband took a tissue sample that proves to have a life of its own when the mitochondria decide that now is the time for rebellion, the time to claim the world as their own.

Monster Island - David Wellington (Horror)
This is probably the most realistic and interesting zombie novel I've ever read. The only survivors of the zombie plague are 3rd world countries... and that's where the story starts. A UN representative is ordered by the leader of a rogue militia to go to New York City for medical supplies. The action kicks up a notch when they realize not all the zombies are mindless. Story continues in the sequels: Monster Nation and Monster Planet.

jPod - Douglas Coupland (General Fiction)
Office humour at its finest and anything goes with murders, gangsters, love letters to Ronald McDonald, and a rescue mission to Asia. The author even pops up to help his characters out.

Strangers - Taichi Yamada (Japananese Horror/Thriller)
A man comes in contact with a young couple that are very much like his parents--who died when he was very young. He soon makes the discovery that these are his parents and begins to question whether their intentions are good or evil. This is not your average ghost story.

Idlewild - Nick Sagan (Sci-fi Thriller)
Halloween wakes up to find he has no memories other than the sure thought that he has very likely murdered someone. As he sets out to uncover the mystery of his amnesia and to discover if he really did kill, he soon learns that his world is not at all what he thought it was. If you liked the Matrix movies, you'll love this book. The story continues in the sequels: Everfree and Edenborn.

Other books I'd recommend by author:
Charles de Lint (mostly writes Urban Faerytales)
Christopher Moore (General Fiction) *highly recommend*
L.J. Smith (Young Adult Fantasy/Horror) *might be hard to find*

I also think the Edge Chronicles series is pretty darn good, too. You also can't go wrong with old school fiction like Jules Verne, H.G. Wells, and Oscar Wilde.

Fin
(-.-)zzZ

Old 10-12-2007, 09:30 PM

If your in for a good laugh I would suggestion Catch-22 by Joseph Heller. It is about a young pilot name John Yossarian who is based on the island of Pianosa during World War II. He's convinced that the war is going to kill him if he doesn't get out of it but everytime he completes the number of missions he needs to go home Colonel Cathcart keeps raising the bar. The only way Yossarian can get out of the war is if they find out he's crazy, but there is a Catch. Read the book. It's really not like any other war novel.

Or, another favorite of mine, is Watership Down by Richard Adams. I really can't describe much of it without it sounding silly, (yes. It is about bunny rabbits), but it is really well written and is just an overall wonderful story.

And finally, for all the Japanophiles that I know are out there: Memoirs of a Geisha by Author Golden. Probably best known for it's movie, (the other two have movies too, by the way), and it follows the like of young Chiyo/Sayuri who is growing up in Japan during World War II. It is a beautiful love story that describes the life of a geisha back then.

So I hope you take these books into consideration and enjoy them. <3

Shrimp_Man
ʘ‿ʘ
Send a message via MSN to Shrimp_Man Send a message via Yahoo to Shrimp_Man

Old 10-12-2007, 09:52 PM

For Fantasy, I recommend a book called Silver Kiss. It's a young adult book but it's really good. It's about a vampire and his journey to get revenge on the vampire that made him.

For the fan of young adult romance-ish books, there's The Only Alien on the Planet, which I highly recommend.

And for the fans of romance, I highly recommend anything written by Sherrilyn Kenyon. She's an amazing writer and her best series is her Dark Hunter series.

aonith
\ (•◡•) /

Old 10-12-2007, 11:44 PM

For novel ( I guess it's a romance x__X) , I recommend you guys reading "The Perfume" By Patrick Suskind.This book is really amazing and original. I liked both: the film, and the romance. <33

Erise
Dead Account Holder
Send a message via ICQ to Erise Send a message via MSN to Erise

Old 10-13-2007, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flaming-Scorpion
Fore vampire lovers i say

Twighlight and New Moon (its sequal) are spectacular. it has romance, action, and a good plot. i'm not good at explaining things so i'm done for now -.-
Gooooooooooood Book! <333333333333333333

AND the third is good too. Eclipse!
Edward is my love.<3
I'm sorry but I would have to say that this series is like the best I have ever found, I have never fallen in soo much love with a bok/ series this bad ever.
And twilight will always be my favourite book. n_n

Laitha
Dead Account Holder
Send a message via AIM to Laitha

Old 10-13-2007, 12:11 AM

Just a few notable authors: Markus Zusak, Tamora Pierce, Stephenie Meyer, Lynne Ewing, Gail Dayton. My favorites would be Lynne Ewing's Daughters of the Moon series, or maybe the Twilight books. All of the above are fantasy authors, except for Markus Zusak, who does just general young adult fiction.

[AZN_Baby Girl]

Old 10-13-2007, 01:54 AM

Quote:

Twighlight and New Moon (its sequal) are spectacular. it has romance, action, and a good plot. i'm not good at explaining things so i'm done for now -.-
Ahh! I love those books! xD
Have you read Eclipse yet?
Loved it. :3
ooo! Have you read Vampire Diaries before? =D

[AZN_Baby Girl]

Old 10-13-2007, 01:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erise
Quote:

Gooooooooooood Book! <333333333333333333

AND the third is good too. Eclipse!
Edward is my love.<3
I'm sorry but I would have to say that this series is like the best I have ever found, I have never fallen in soo much love with a bok/ series this bad ever.
And twilight will always be my favourite book. n_n
Totally love that book. :3
Yup, Yup. Edward is love. ♥♥
Though Edward was being kinda of a meanie head in New Moon. >.< And Jacob was also a meanie head in Eclipse. :3

Aylar
*^_^*

Old 10-13-2007, 01:59 AM

If you like comedy and have read a lot of the classics, Jasper Fford's book The Eyre affair is really good. The main character has the ability to enter other books, which makes it for really funny interactions like when Hamlet leaves Hamlet.

A really good fantasy author is Anne McCaffrey. Her dragons of Pern series is really interesting. She develops so many different types of the society, such as the dragonriders who act as the protection of their world, but also the bards, who act as the teachers.

Birdy Main

Old 10-13-2007, 02:11 AM

Oh I would recommend Daughter of the Forest by Juliet Marillier and it's two sequels, Son of the Shadows, and Child of the Prophecy.

It's a fantasy romance with a snatch of horrer.