Birdy Main

Old 10-13-2007, 02:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aylar
If you like comedy and have read a lot of the classics, Jasper Fford's book The Eyre affair is really good. The main character has the ability to enter other books, which makes it for really funny interactions like when Hamlet leaves Hamlet.

A really good fantasy author is Anne McCaffrey. Her dragons of Pern series is really interesting. She develops so many different types of the society, such as the dragonriders who act as the protection of their world, but also the bards, who act as the teachers.
XD I remember those. But despite the Pern series being extremely good. You fail to mention that they are also somewhat complicated to read. They skip between several characters.

Jynk
⊙ω⊙
Send a message via AIM to Jynk

Old 10-13-2007, 03:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aonith
For novel ( I guess it's a romance x__X) , I recommend you guys reading "The Perfume" By Patrick Suskind.This book is really amazing and original. I liked both: the film, and the romance. <33
That's the most evil book I ever read. o.o It was brilliant and so... just.. so. I second this recommendation, but it's not a romance, it's general fiction.. or even perhaps thriller. I don't know what they did with the movie, but the book was definately not a romance.. it's about a Ripper-esque serial killer that's obsessed with scent.

Emrysa
ʘ‿ʘ
Send a message via AIM to Emrysa

Old 10-13-2007, 05:12 AM

Try Swordspoint a Melodrama of Manners by Ellen Kushner.
Richard is a hired blade and assassin from the run down part of town, a virtual playground for the petty nobility on the hill. Richard, like other hired blades, sells his services to the highest bidder. There is one difference, he's the best. He also kills for the amusement of his lover, a quarrelsome, drug addicted scholar named Alec. But the game changes when Alec is kidnapped, forcing Richard's hand.

Larele
ʘ‿ʘ

Old 10-13-2007, 08:49 PM

If you haven't yet, try: DragonSpell -a bit suspenseful- the main charactr is a girl named Kale and she finds dragon eggs xD
Also! Here's anther on: Sanctuary: Many pages; thick, but deffinately worth reading- about dragons and riders and how they co-exist (been a while since I've read it). I have other too..inluding a wolf book <3 The photography here s beautiful. Its by Jim and Jamie Dutcher. They film wildlife..I think. ^^;

Syrinx330
⊙ω⊙

Old 10-14-2007, 02:33 AM

Well, since people are obsessing over Twilight being a good vampire book, I will obsess over the vampire book of my choice.

Interview with the Vampire by Anne Rice in my opinion was a wonderful book, though Loius is always whining about everything. Before someone dies, he laments, someone dies, he laments even more, his love- no his obsession is nice to him, he laments over something about that, his obsession gets ticked with him, more excuse to lament over something. xD But it was still wonderful, you just have to be prepared to be depressed.

Also, has anyone ever read The Sorcerers of Nightwing by Geoffrey Huntington? I read that a while ago, and I was wondering if they came out with any others besides Demon Child? I remember those being extremely interesting, and the clown on the cover of the first book being extremely creepy xD.

Salient Siren
Dead Account Holder

Old 10-14-2007, 04:42 PM

Hmm. I'd recommend Keeping It Real by Justina Robson for some fun Sci-fi/Fantasy reading. It was fabulously funny and ended up being a really interesting read.

StormRose
*^_^*
Send a message via MSN to StormRose

Old 10-14-2007, 07:34 PM

Oooh... I guess I can start with the series.

Artemis Fowl, by Eoin Colfer is an amazing series. Particularly, the last installement, The Lost Colony. Kid friendly, but even my parents love it.

The Chronicles of Narnia, C.S. Lewis- Either you've read them or you haven't kind of deal here. Starting with the Magician's Nephew, ending with The Last Battle, this series is good for those who like a deeper meaning to their books.

The Time Quintet, Madeline L'Engle- Yes, there is a reason that Quintet is in italics. For a while, it was merely the Time Quartet, but in hte recent republishing of the late L'Engle's works, I found there was fifth, An Acceptable Time.A Wrinkle in Time begins the series, followed by A Wind in the Door, Many Waters, and a Swiftly Tilting Planet.Good, series, another one that digs very deep. If you think too much about the whole tessering aspect.

Vampire Literature, I haven't read Twilight and the like, but I love the novels by Amelia Atwater-Rhodes. Demon in my View, and Shattered Mirror being my favorites... >> I might be a little obsessed with Nikolas... and Aubrey...<<;;; It can't be healthy...[/u]

RoyalSquishy
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Old 10-14-2007, 08:47 PM

Fantasy

books by Tamora Pierce:

Tortall Universe:
--Song of the Lioness Quartet-Alanna:First Adventure, In the Hand of the Goddess, The Woman who rides like a man, Lioness Rampant
--The Immortals Quartet-Wild Magic, Wolf-Speaker, Emperor Mage, The Realm of the Gods
--Protector of the Small-First Test, Page, Squire, Lady Knight
--Provost's Dog-Terrier
--Daughter of the Lioness-Trickster's Choice, --Trickster's Queen

-Circle Universe:
--Circle of Magic-Sandry's Book, Tris's Book, Daja's Book, Briar's Book
--Circle Opens-Magic Steps, Street Magic, Cold Fire, Shatterglass
-Will of the Empress

books by Diane Duane
-Young Wizards: So You Want to be a Wizard, Deep Wizardry, High Wizardry, A Wizard Abroad, The Wizard's Dilemma, A Wizard Alone, Wizard's Holiday, Wizards at War
-Feline Wizards:Book of Night With Moon

books by Patricia C. Wrede
-The Enchanted Forest Chronicles: DEaling with Dragons, Searching for Dragons, Calling on DRagons, Talking to DRagons

books by Gail Carson Levine
* Ella Enchanted
* Dave at Night
* The Fairy's Mistake
* The Princess Test
* Princess Sonora and the Long Sleep
* The Two Princesses of Bamarre
* Cinderellis and the Glass Hill
* The Fairy's Return
* Fairy Dust and the Quest for the Egg

and of course Harry Potter series...there is a LOT more but i am too lazy to write it all down here

StormRose
*^_^*
Send a message via MSN to StormRose

Old 10-14-2007, 09:12 PM

RoyalAquishy....I've read almsot all the books you just put up. The only exception is some of the ones from Gail Carson Levine. I've been having trouble locating her work. I haven't had a chance to read Terrier yet. (My friend got to it in the library first and she's a slow reader.) The Immortals has always been checked out when I go too... Missing a few of Duane's list. Still.... Amazing similarities...

Yes, Tamora Pierce is amazing, I put in my recommendations with hers on all of her works. Particularly the circle Universe. *loves Shatterglass*

Robin Mckinley's The Blue Sword is an amazing read. It has everything. Romance, Adventure, Magic, Legends, Battles, Swords, and a dramatic kidnapping in the first 5 chapters.XD

The Edge Chronicles, is a series by someone I can't remember the name of right now. Its a fantasy realm, and is jampacked with adventure, a tad bit of romance, and mystery. Suspense is a good category. It's a very, very good series, but the order they published them in is not chronological. *rolls her eyes*

I too, am too lazy to type up everything. I have to go raid my bookshelf... Later.

Aylar
*^_^*

Old 10-15-2007, 02:21 PM

There are a lot of books I would recommend, but I'll try to keep it short.

The X-Wings series, they are star war books, but they are quite good. They take place a little bit past episode 6. They don't focus on the main characters from the movies which I like. Most of them are quite funny too. So they are sci-fi obviously.

For fantasy Dennis McKieran's Once upon a winter's night. It was quite good. It is somewhat based off the myth of Psyche and cupid as well the fairy tale east of the sun, West of the moon.

secriden
(-.-)zzZ

Old 10-18-2007, 03:55 PM

I wonder if anyone has done these before...

-CLASSICS-

Pride and Prejudice. Witty, funny, sarcastic at times, this book made me fall in love with romance stories. And I know it's not the 'typical' romance book, but I think it's probably my ideal.

Jane Eyre A lot of undercurrents in this book. I love things like that.

-Action/Adventure- (Not enough people read this these days)
Alex Rider: Series -shrug- I don't know why I find it a good read. But I always come back to the books. And the recent ones have been AMAZING. <3

-Fantasy (Sorta)-
Books by Tamora Peirce. She. Rawks. 'Nuff said.

Somercy
*^_^*

Old 10-18-2007, 04:26 PM

Sci-Fi
The Callahan's series and the Lady Sally books by Spider Robinson are amazingly good sci-fi. His characters are varied and fun. His plotlines are unique. He reminds me of if Asimov and Piers Anthony had a love child who spent too much time in a bookstore. Warning, he does set his books in bars and whorehouses!

yukihana tsubasa
Dead Account Holder

Old 10-19-2007, 11:51 PM

:D this is the coolest book ever! It has only a couple pages per chapter but there are over one hundred chapters. Its about this girl name max and her "siblings" (they arent really related to her) who are half avian (birds) meaning they have wings and they are trying to escape from this lab that made them. There are also these things called the erasers that are half wolf and half human experiments. The erasers wants to capture them and take them back the the lab but at the same time..killing them!!! i hear that this series might become a movie too! AHHHHHH!! i hope everyone gets a chance to check it out! Its by James Patterson!

Leftovers

Old 10-23-2007, 07:47 PM

Terry Pratchetts' Discworld
Brilliant lighthearted fantasy, there are about 26 books in the series. Most of his books have a lot of dark humour, and are usually based around a myth or legend. Fantastic.

Emrysa
ʘ‿ʘ
Send a message via AIM to Emrysa

Old 10-24-2007, 12:12 PM

I'd recommend Drawing Blood by Poppy Z. Brite for horror fans. She writes acid-trip psychotic mental horror novels. I like Drawing Blood because it's about an artist and a computer hacker. Since I'm interested in both art and computers myself I find it a good mix. I also like the concept of being pulled into a drawing and the flavor of New Orleans she brings to her work.

Nightfall - About an Assassin born with magical powers attempting to escape evil magic sucking individuals like the kingdom's number one adviser. Hired on to serve the prince as an escape from execution he takes an oath. One side step and his power will belong to the manipulative adviser. A dead prince and a new power?

Laitha
Dead Account Holder
Send a message via AIM to Laitha

Old 10-25-2007, 12:19 AM

I think I've already posted a few reccomendations in this thread, but I just remembered a couple of really good
ones that I left out.
If you like fantasy/adventure books, I would highly reccomend Gail Dayton's The Compass Rose and the sequel.
I haven't read the third one yet, but the first two are amazing.
Markus Zusak is also a fantastic author. His books are more in the line of recent historical fiction.
Also, Uglies, Pretties, and Specials are pretty good, although I don't remember who wrote them.

vanaflynn
Dead Account Holder
Send a message via AIM to vanaflynn Send a message via MSN to vanaflynn Send a message via Yahoo to vanaflynn

Old 10-25-2007, 08:13 PM

read prey by micheal crichton

rainbow disfunction
⊙ω⊙

Old 10-26-2007, 03:25 PM

I read Anne Frank diary and it is amazingly good. I know this is a famous book but for those who never read it. I got to tell you the story itself is just so good. About her life and all her emotions are in there. who knows maybe you might feel the same way...

promised_forever
*^_^*

Old 10-26-2007, 04:18 PM

I really enjoyed "The Chosen" by Chaim Potok. I had to read it in my 10th grade English class.

The book is set in the 1940's in Brooklyn. It's about two Jewish boys who form a friendship even though their parents dislike each other and they have different upbringings. One is an Modern Orthodox Jew and one is a Hasidic Jew.

Neko-sama 1992
(-.-)zzZ
Banned
Send a message via AIM to Neko-sama 1992

Old 10-27-2007, 08:44 AM

Twilight,New Moon, Eclipes by Stephanie Meyer!

Niren
(-.-)zzZ

Old 10-28-2007, 11:31 PM

This is great now I can read more books and new authors. For thoese who like fantacy with a hint of romance (or alot) and strong female characters the publisher LUNA is a good source to get thoese books. I have to recoment The Outlander series, and the Cast in Shadows series. Absolutly love them....I like alot more but all the others have been refered too.

why me?
(-.-)zzZ

Old 10-29-2007, 08:37 AM

fantasy: Raymond E Feist does a really good fantasy. In fact he has over 12 books all for one series. if you like medievil/magic/elf/dark elf/war and really really out there concepts of the existence of the planet, this author is for you

Bunai
\ (•◡•) /

Old 10-31-2007, 10:28 PM

i cant remember if i posted here

Rumble Fish - SE Hinton
short and strange. my fav book from SE i can read it a lot

Chocolate Wars - Robert Cormier
love all the characters. and there is time spent on each of them

Angela and Diabola by Lynne Reid Banks
this is just a strange book with some strange humor.
read it when i was...i think 16. its about two twins, one is very good, and the other is very bad.
the ending is VERY fitting

Fred Weasley
⊙ω⊙

Old 11-03-2007, 01:52 PM

I don't know if there is still anyone who hasn't read it yet, but the Dan Brown books are pretty awesome ^_^
Especially Angels and Demons. <3<3<3
I fell in love with that book as soon as I read the very first page. It's absolutely addicting and I had to read the whole thing within two or three days.

Furious
\ (•◡•) /

Old 11-06-2007, 08:39 PM

I really love the Inheritance trilogy, Otherwise known as Eragon. The author's name is Christopher Poulini (I seriously doubt I spelled that right). I love dragons.

Also, Fablehaven is a very good read if you're into magical creatures and magic and stuff.