heartages
⊙ω⊙

Old 11-18-2009, 07:08 PM

Hello everyone! Welcome to my drabbles page :heart: :heart: :heart:

Progress: 22/100

The purpose of these drabbles is for me to get the feel for some new characters of mine. I want to learn them inside and out; how they would act in certain situations and how they think and feel about things. So here's the list I came up with:

The Drabble Themes

001. Sunlight. (Fallen)
002. Water. (Edeline)
003. Shade.
004. Steady.
005. Broken. (Fallen)
006. Ribbons.
007. Wind. (Alanova)
008. Clock. (Gallagher)
009. Goggles. (Gallagher)
010. Train. (Riley)
011. Sleep. (Gallagher)
012. Buttons.
013. Smile. (Fallen)
014. Jacket. (Braeden)
015. Jealousy. (Edeline)
016. Flying. (Alanova)
017. Cloud. (Fallen)
018. Bell.
019. Distance.
020. Colors.
021. Heart. (Braeden)
022. Technology Challenged. (Gallagher)
023. Stalk.
024. Butterfly.
025. Pretty. (Edeline)
026. Midnight.
027. Spilled Ink. (Gallagher)
028. Glitter.
029. Marbles.
030. Love. (Edeline)
031. Sister. (Alanova)
032. Darkness. (Braeden)
033. Innocence. (Gallagher)
034. Memory. (Edeline)
035. Misfortune.
036. Silence.
037. Blood. (Riley)
038. Tears.
039. Rain. (Braeden)
040. Stars.
041. Secret. (Braeden)
042. Sacrifice.
043. Hero. (Fallen)
044. Mirror.
045. Dragons. (Fallen)
046. Friends.
047. Imagination. (Alanova)
048. Moonlight.
049. Music.
050. Ship. (Edeline)
051. Voices.
052. Ocean.
053. Autumn.
054. Snow.
055. Courage. (Gallagher)
056. Wings. (Fallen)
057. Alone. (Edeline)
058. Flowers.
059. Eyes. (Riley)
060. Promise.
061. Embarrassment. (Braeden)
062. Sunset. (Fallen)
063. Fire.
064. Cold.
065. Adventure. (Edeline)
066. Future. (Fallen)
067. Numbers. (Gallagher)
068. Worry. (Gallagher)
069. Waiting.
070. Drink. (Braeden)
071. Spiral. (Riley)
072. Food.
073. Grey.
074. Desire. (Braeden)
075. Crossroad. (Gallagher)
076. Weapons. (Riley)
078. Iron. (Fallen)
079. Gentleness.
080. Mask.
081. Bones.
082. Fear.
083. Underwater. (Edeline)
084. Upside Down. (Riley)
085. Unseen. (Braeden)
086. Queen. (Edeline)
087. Mud. (Edeline)
088. Death.
089. Jewelry.
090. Scars. (Fallen)
091. Warmth.
092. Evil. (Riley)
093. Robot. (Alanova)
094. Dance.
095. Duel. (Braeden)
096. Skeleton. (Edeline)
097. Message. (Gallagher)
098. Song. (Alanova)
099. Surprise.
100. Lost. (Edeline)

The names in parentheses are the characters I intend to use for that particular theme. :) Gallagher and Edeline are my favorites, if you hadn't noticed ;)

Last edited by heartages; 11-13-2011 at 01:55 AM.. Reason: finished a drabble!

heartages
⊙ω⊙

Old 11-18-2009, 07:20 PM

[001.] Fallen's Sunlight

Fallen had felt as if he had been in darkness his entire life, or what he recalled of it anyway. Yet, in those moments he felt that things had been looking up. Fallen smiled more, he laughed, he played. He finally understood how things were originally intended to be and how the selfishness of an individual, combined with the selfishness of every other individual, distorted the world. But Alanova brought him spirit and joy. She showed him adventure and freedom.

"Alanova," he said, meekly, as he watched her spinning around in the grassy field enjoying the beautiful windy summer weather on the cape. Her white, lacy sundress flowed along with the wind. Her smile never faded and her eyes were always filled with happiness.

"Yes, Fallen," she continued to grin and pranced over to him, "what is it?"

"What is the source of your happiness?" His eyes pleaded with curiosity.

"The source of my happiness?" She paused, thoughtfully. "I'm not really sure. I suppose my happiness is just a well of stored up days like this, wonderful stories heard," she began spinning and dancing again, "good lessons learned, praise for things done right, love from loved ones, friendship with wonderful people like you, gifts given and received, treasures found, being under the rain, and warm embraces. But probably most of all," she called and sang out the words, "Most of all, it's the bottled warmth, joy and happiness of the sunlight!"

That's right, Fallen thought. That's what she was like. She was like the warm, gentle rays of the sun. She radiated like sunlight, spreading joy and love wherever she went. Alanova was the source of his happiness. Alanova was his sunlight.

Last edited by heartages; 11-18-2009 at 08:30 PM..

heartages
⊙ω⊙

Old 11-18-2009, 08:18 PM

[002.] Like the Water

Edeline walked along the riverbank at least two yards behind Gallagher. She hadn't quite figured him out yet. He was so quiet, always looking discontent, so she distanced herself from him a bit and stared at the river's waters as she trudged along.

Lifting her skirts as she walked, to avoid tripping and to try and keep them as clean as she could, she occasionally noticed her boots stick a bit in the wet sand of the bank. And occasionally, she'd step over enough for her foot to settle into the water's edges.

The water in the river was peaceful and gentle. It quietly flowed along as though it was humming its own unique melody. But that water would eventually flow into the sea, where numerous conditions could change that calm nature entirely. A storm could conjure up, turning the sea vicious in a matter of minutes, and its gentleness would change into strength and dangerous power.

Perhaps Gallagher was like those very waters. Perhaps calm and gentle was his true nature and certain conditions turned him rough and angry. Edeline's curiosity at that possible truth moved her to quicken her pace and she rejoined Gallagher's side, smiling compassionately.

"So," she said, sincerely, trying to break him of his scornful look, "what's on your mind? Where are you headed?" She walked quietly as she awaited his answer, earnestly and patiently, unsure of whether or not he would even answer at all.

Last edited by heartages; 11-19-2009 at 02:19 AM..

heartages
⊙ω⊙

Old 11-19-2009, 02:19 AM

[057.] Edeline and the Serious Case of Being Alone

Edeline pulled her knees in close to her chest. The unfamiliar place that had of late become her prison was darkening, almost as if night was falling, which was strange. She couldn't see far enough above to tell if it was a ceiling that existed there, but she knew for certain that it wasn't the sky that she knew.

Edeline was all alone. Her eyes were red from crying and her cheeks were dry from the tears that had at one point rested there. A low moan emanated from her stomach, indicating that she was hungry and the dryness of her throat let her know that she was thirsty. And of course there was no food around. Just a vast, echoey cage of emptiness. There was nothing she could do to escape. Her earlier endless wandering that had only exhausted her had taught her that all she could do was sit and wait for nothing to happen.

She had given up. Although, her heart ached tremendously from the loneliness and fear she'd been experiencing. "Gallagher," she whispered, without thinking. Her heart was longing to see him. He, in the first place, was the only person who had ever eased her of her loneliness, and now that she was truly and completely alone, she felt as though she needed him more than ever.

He was the only one who would know where to find her to begin with. He was her only hope of ever escaping. The thought that he may never be able to return to that place frightened her, but the idea that he would not even want to come to her aid made her feel even more alone.

Her prison fell almost completely dark soon enough. Edeline could hear rumbling and began to feel the floor beneath her shaking. A deep, low growl echoed all around her. She was no longer alone.

Last edited by heartages; 11-25-2009 at 04:31 AM..

heartages
⊙ω⊙

Old 11-19-2009, 02:31 AM

[068.] Worry Impels

Gallagher beat on the grandfather clock. "I have to get back in there, Chronos!" He shouted. "Edeline won't be able to get out on her own!" He thrust his fist against the sturdy masterpiece again.

"Because you hold the key," Chronos said slowly with his quiet, withered voice.

"I have to go NOW!" Gallagher shouted. Chronos reached his old, shaking hand to Gallagher's shoulder.

"Calm down and be patient." He slowly pulled his own key from the pocket of his grey, silky robe. He began to unlock the door to the grandfather clock, but paused.

"Chronos!!" Gallagher shouted impatiently, desperately trying to express his urgency. He was overcome with worry for Edeline. "You know what happens in there at this time!"

"Exactly," Chronos said, calmly. "Are you armed? Balthos will not allow you to leave until the appropriate time." Chronos awaited his answer.

"Armed? Balthos cannot be defeated." Gallagher stated, confused.

"Yes, but you and Edeline can. Can the two of you remain in good health until the appointed time?" Chronos shuffled over to his closet where he pulled out a long, bronze staff with notches on each end, making it resemble a double-sided key. "Take this with you. It will help keep Balthos at bay."

Gallagher took the staff from Chronos's hands and felt a strange pulse of energy flow out from its touch. Chronos unlocked the door and carefully opened it. "Be clever," Chronos advised. "Stay alive. Protect dearest Edeline."

"Thank you, Grandfather," Gallagher smiled, his heart warmed. He stepped into the clock and disappeared somewhere in time, worried that he would not be in time for Edeline.

Last edited by heartages; 11-19-2009 at 02:47 AM..

heartages
⊙ω⊙

Old 11-19-2009, 02:46 AM

[100.] Lost Somewhere in Time

Edeline could hear the ticks and tocks of the giant gears all around her. She felt the sudden rush of fear wash over her and she knew it. Gallagher was nowhere to be seen. "Gallagher?" she spoke aloud, turning about. There were only gears, clocks and mirrors in an endless maze as far as the eye could see. "Gallagher!" she cried, feeling the terror take control of her entire body. Only echoes of the turning gears answered her call.

She was lost. Gallagher had told her to stay close, but her own curiosity had led her astray, and now he was gone. Edeline was lost inside a world she could not comprehend. There was no way for her to find her way without his guidance, but her body began to move all on its own.

I'm lost, her mind repeated over and over. I should have stayed where I was so Gallagher could find me, she reasoned with herself, but the fear of being lost forever if he managed to get out without her kept her moving. I will be trapped here forever if I can't find my way. To be eternally lost here with the constant reminder of the passing of time as my only company... Tears formed in her eyes and began to blur her vision. "I have to do this myself," she said, wiping the tears away, trying to be brave.

What seemed like hours passed as she walked along, but every turn was the same. Everything looked exactly the same every which way. How could I ever leave, she thought, if I am in an endless dimensional loop! "I'll never find my way!" She shouted, the tears finally spilling down her cheeks. "Oh, Gallagher," she sobbed, "where are you?!" She sank to her knees and cried. Was she indeed lost in that maze forever?

Last edited by heartages; 12-14-2009 at 07:53 PM..

heartages
⊙ω⊙

Old 11-19-2009, 04:09 AM

[005.] Maybe I'm Broken

"Uh, Alanova," Fallen said quietly, a little unsure of himself.

"Fallen, what is it?" There was the slight sound of annoyance in her voice. "We should be flying now!"

"Alanova, I can't will my wings to grow," there was more than a little worry in his own voice.

"Really?" Alanova sauntered over, curiously examining his back. Prodding at his shoulder blades, she asked, "Maybe if you get angry they'll grow."

"How do you propose we accomplish my getting angry?" He asked.

"I dunno," she shrugged. "Hey! Maybe if I taunt you, you'll get upset!" She clapped her hands together and thought of several ideas to fire him up. After all of her attempts failed, she threw her arms down to her sides. She seemed utterly incapable of upsetting him. "Let's go into the city. You're sure to get upset there," she suggested, bluntly.

She was right. The mere thought of going into the city with all of those people riled him up. He looked away in anguish. "You know..." he began, still quiet, "I'm not human, so..." He trailed off.

"'So,' what?" Alanova pressured him.

"So maybe I'm just... broken," he said.

"Don't be ridiculous!" Alanova shouted. Fallen had never seen her angry before, but at that moment, she sure was.

"It's not ridiculous!" He retorted.

"It is so! You're not broken! Maybe you're just hungry, that's why your wings won't grow. Have you eaten anything lately?" She asked, still mad.

"I'm not hungry! I'm broken!" He yelled. He felt the familiar sharp pain and pull at his back, just as when he was about to sprout wings, only this time it was excruciatingly intense.

Alanova watched as his eyes widened. He lost his breath and fell down to one knee, clutching his ribs. Fallen felt as if he was being torn apart, and suddenly, one huge black iron wing ripped its way from his back.

Fallen, crouched now on his hands and knees, breathed heavily and a few beads of sweat trickled down his forehead. His back was throbbing where the wing had grown. He could feel it. He could tell and one look at the panic apparent on Alanova's face made him certain: His wing was broken.

Last edited by heartages; 11-19-2009 at 11:14 PM..

heartages
⊙ω⊙

Old 11-19-2009, 05:07 AM

[039.] The Pain and the Remedy is the Rain

The night was almost completely black. The darkness was almost pure. That was just how Braeden liked things. He wished that he was out in that particular darkness instead of in the tavern connected to Riley's shop.

The rain had driven everyone from the streets indoors, and the majority of the townsfolk were in the tavern socializing. People disgusted Braeden, so he wanted nothing less than to be among them. He almost felt himself hating each and every individual there, but Riley's presence made him keep his thoughts and feelings in check.

"Hey, Riley!" The local drunkard, Braeden assumed, swayed over to her. "You been messin' 'round with thiss guy?" he waved largely in Braeden's direction. Everyone laughed. Braeden hated them.

"Shut up, Bruce!" Riley snapped.

"Hows about ya gimme a try sometime, eh?" He hiccuped. Braeden felt his blood start boiling.

"Hows about I kick your sorry butt out into the rain?" Riley was irritated, but she made her way over to the kitchen doorway. Bruce followed. Braeden didn't move.

"Aw, c'mon Ri, baby. Don' be like thaaat," he reached his hands out to cap himself a good feel. Riley kicked his legs out from under him and shoved the heel of her boot into his chest as he hit the ground. The tavern fell silent. Braeden figured the whole town must have been afraid of her.

"And I said get out, old man," Riley said, frighteningly.

Braeden was shaking, his fist clenched tight and his teeth gritted. He hated that man. He hated people. He wanted to kill him. His blood was beginning to boil out of his control.

Braeden thrust the tavern door open as the silent people began to fill with the place with laughter again. He stepped outside into the cool rain. That rain was what had caused everyone to enter the tavern, perhaps even that drunken man. The rain may have been what caused his anger, but it was also what Braeden needed to allow to cool himself off. He stood there until he was soaked through and through, slowly allowing it to force his anger to subside.

Last edited by heartages; 11-19-2009 at 06:04 AM..

heartages
⊙ω⊙

Old 11-19-2009, 06:04 AM

[076.] Riley and the Set of Unusual Weapons

All day long Riley heard the clinks and clanks of metal. She'd grown to love the sounds, which was good considering she was a blacksmith. She'd learned the trade from her uncle who had raised her, and once she'd surpassed him in skill, he retired and opened a tavern connected to a new workshop for Riley's use.

Riley loved her job, but more and more often, she was getting a lot of commissions to make and repair weapons. This made her curious and a bit suspicious. Was there suddenly such a great need for those weapons?

Soon, it became the main subject matter of her work. Most other requests were handled by her assistant Claudio. Every day Riley had at least one weapon to work on. She'd seen her share of swords, battle axes, knives, daggers, and every other sort of weapon. Riley's favorite to repair, create, handle and even wield was the battle axe. She kept what she felt was her best work, her grand battle axe, mounted on the wall of her shop.

One day, as she was working, a man dressed in dark clothing entered the shop. He laid a large sack down in the middle of her workspace.

"Excuse me," she said, annoyed.

"I'm sorry to interrupt you, but," she looked up to see a smiling face, which was not what she expected to see considering his dress and the tone of his voice. "Could you please repair these as soon as possible. I'll greatly compensate you for your speed." He dumped a sack of coins onto her table as well. Riley gawked at them. "I'll be doing some more shopping in town and will return to pick them up later. Don't worry, it's not too bad. Just make them good and sharp." Then, he waltzed out of the shop.

Riley opened the first sack to see an assortment of weapons she had never seen before. They were interestingly and beautifully designed and all of the metal was completely black. Riley was curious about them, but seeing as the man had left, she could only get on with the work. She dropped her curiosity and picked up her whetstone and file, ready to work now and ask questions later, if at all.

Last edited by heartages; 12-14-2009 at 08:00 PM..

heartages
⊙ω⊙

Old 11-19-2009, 06:16 AM

[093.] That Fearsome Robot

Two identical red lights pierced through the darkness, moving in Alanova's direction. She knew what it must have been, but was still afraid of finding out the truth. She backed as far away as she could until she reached the cold stone wall. The red lights, like eyes, continued approaching.

"No!" She called out. "Stay away!" It was only a matter of moments before it would step into the light and she would be able to make out its real form. The suspense was driving her crazy. Was it a monster?

Alanova tried to calm her mind. She listened and noticed the sound of slow steps. That meant that whatever it was had legs and was walking toward her. She listened more closely and hear the sound of electronic movement. The creak and whir of a machine. She screamed inside her mind.

"NO! Stay away!!" She repeated. It was a robot. It had to be a robot. Alanova was terrified of robots! What did it want from her? What was its objective? She didn't know and she couldn't stand it.

As it approached a little farther, not quite in the light, Alanova turned to face the wall, squatted, covered her ears, squeezed her eyes shut and screamed. The robot apparently didn't care and continued to approach. A million things ran through Alanova's mind until she screamed again. When she finished she heard her name.

"What?" she cried, weakly.

"Here-is-your-break-fast," the robotic voice said.

"Oh..." Alanova replied, standing. She turned to see the silliest robot one could imagine and felt ridiculous. "Thank you," she said taking the tray the machine had been carrying. Then she sat and immediately devoured her meal.

Last edited by heartages; 11-19-2009 at 10:48 PM..

heartages
⊙ω⊙

Old 11-19-2009, 10:47 PM

[008.] The Grandfather Clock of Chronos

As a boy, Gallagher had always known that there was something strange about his grandfather's ancient grandfather clock, but he had a lot of trouble figuring out just what it was. He remembered spending days trying to hide in order to catch his grandfather opening up the door, but for a while he never seemed able.

"I know you're there, Gallagher," Grandfather Chronos would say. Or, "Come out my boy." Grandfather Chronos never spoke about the clock, and he was always secretive about opening up its door, but Gallagher was determined to be in on that secret.

Once, when he was twelve years old, Gallagher was unexpectedly sent to deliver something to Grandfather Chronos. He walked into the house and headed for the den, but before he fully rounded the corner and was seen, he noticed his grandfather unlocking the clock door. As he opened it up, the pendulum appeared to fade away and the doorway transformed into what, he did not know. Chronos stepped into it and suddenly vanished. Gallagher was left flabbergasted and for years was never given any kind of explanation.

Now, however, Grandfather Chronos stood before him, handing him a bit of the clock's magnificent power. "This is yours," he said, "You've finally found what you needed." Chronos gave him a large, bronze skeleton key. He now had the ability to traverse that mysterious world inside the clock, just as he had seen his grandfather do so many years before.

Last edited by heartages; 12-14-2009 at 08:03 PM..

heartages
⊙ω⊙

Old 11-19-2009, 11:11 PM

[010.] Riley and the Tumult on the Train

Riley had boarded the train hours before. She was feeling impatient. Why had she gotten the commission to make a great assortment of special weapons (maces, dirks, staves, crossbows) and then been required to deliver them? And who exactly was it that wanted them made and what for? It was such a distance to Rutherford, and she hadn't much felt like going on a trip. The train itself had an interesting design, though. She studied it as it moved along.

Suddenly, the train came to an abrupt stop, or what seemed like it, anyway. A few passengers stood, some sticking their heads out the windows trying to figure out what was happening. A few uneasy moments passed and someone came running into their car shouting, "The conductor's been killed!"

Many gasps followed his frantic announcement and one man immediately shot out of his seat. The 'messenger' man moved on to the next car and fear gripped the majority of the passengers.

Riley recognized the man who had stood so suddenly. "Braeden!" she called. He turned in her direction, completely surprised. Many others were in the midst of standing and shuffling and the way between the two of them became quickly blocked.

Braeden knew what he had to do, but could he with Riley around? Why was she there? Had she somehow followed him? It didn't matter. He had to do his job, only now he had to do it making sure that Riley didn't see him. He made his way to a window.

Riley managed to see Braeden climb into and out of the front left window of the car. "What is he doing?" she heard one man say. Riley could figure what it may have been that he was up to and her heart sank.

What if what Claudio had told her was true? If it was, then it was likely that Braeden was involved in the murder of the conductor. She wanted to follow him and investigate, but the fear of discovering the truth immobilized her. She sat back into her seat, staring into space. Her mind was devoid of all intelligible thought, her heart was beating in a bit of sadness, and her eyes were empty as she silently awaited the train's impending motion. She'd deliver the weapons, but at that point it no longer mattered to her why or for whom they were needed.

Last edited by heartages; 11-25-2009 at 04:45 AM..

heartages
⊙ω⊙

Old 11-20-2009, 05:53 AM

[022.] In Which Gallagher is Challenged by Technology

Amused, Edeline watched as Gallagher circled the machine over and over. "It's not that difficult to figure out, Gallagher," she smiled and walked over to give a demonstration. "You just flip this switch to turn it on and use the keys to input a command." She typed 'Transport Leather,' then the machine formulated the material.

As Edeline took the leather strap and began to stitch into it, Gallagher gaped at the machine. "What kind of sorcery is this?!" He cried. Then, he began poking and pecking at the machine and keys. Edeline smiled at his fascination, but kept her attention affixed on her stitching.

"What's wrong with this thing?" Gallagher asked. "It's not working!"

"It turns off as a safety precaution after each use. Did you turn it back on?" Edeline didn't look up.

"Uuhh..." Gallagher laughed sheepishly, then flipped the power switch. After a few more moments the machine made some clicking sounds and then shut back off. He started to ask another question, but Edeline spoke before he could.

"Did you happen to press the blue button?" she asked.

"Uh, yes?" Gallagher was unsure.

"It is clearly labeled 'restart,' silly," she continued to stitch.

"Uh... um..." Gallagher looked over the keys again. "So which button do I press to enter a command?"

"The key that is labeled 'enter,'" Edeline replied.

"Oh," Gallagher sounded hesitant, "of course," but his curiosity outweighed his hesitance. Gallagher tried again and failed again.

"Did you enter a proper command?" Edeline asked.

"I thought I did," Gallagher was beginning to get frustrated. "Let me try again."

He failed several other times before he shouted out in frustration, "What is a proper command?!"

"What are you asking the machine to do?" Edeline put down her work and joined him.

"I wanted some meat or something else to eat," Gallagher pouted. Edeline stared at him blankly for a moment before she busted out into laughter in his face.

"Sweetheart," she fought back more laughter, "did you think it created things out of thin air?" Gallagher nodded, looking like a disappointed child. "I'm afraid it only transports items from this list to the workshop," she pointed at the list pasted to the machine's side. "I could have sworn Meryl explained that!" Edeline continued to laugh while poor Gallagher continued to pout, disappointed in the technology.

(LOL this is a horrendous example of Gallagher's technology-challenged self. He really, really is technologically challenged, which, if and when I write this story, there will be plenty of prime examples of)

Last edited by heartages; 12-14-2009 at 08:09 PM..

heartages
⊙ω⊙

Old 11-25-2009, 11:55 PM

[025.] Pretty

Edeline and Gallagher stood on the balcony of the dirigible. Gallagher was smiling like Edeline had never seen. Together, they stared out at the night sky, Edeline wondering what had gotten Gallagher into such a good mood and wondering what was on his mind. It was good to see him so happy.

"The stars are so pretty, aren't they?" He spoke softly.

"Yes, they are," Edeline agreed.

"Your eyes are like the stars," he turned to her. "Just as pretty, if not more so." Edeline didn't understand what he was talking about.

"Th-thank you," she blushed. Gallagher brushed back a bit of her auburn hair with his fingertips.

"You don't know, do you?" He looked pained for a moment.

"Know what?" she asked. She could feel her heart rate steadily increasing and her face reddened as she wondered whether or not he could hear it.

"How pretty you are," he replied with a slight smile. "You are so pretty," he smiled wider.

"But I'm not really," she looked away, embarrassed. He cupped her chin in his hand and turned her face back to him.

"Yes, you are. You are very pretty, inside and out." He stared into her eyes as if looking for her confirmation. She felt tears form. She was happy he felt that way and that he had said those things.

"Sir Gallagher," someone approached. "Gallagher took a step away from Edeline and looked at the man. "The captain would like to have a word with you about our destination."

"Right," the Gallagher followed him inside, leaving Edeline feeling anxious about what could have happened. But she felt pretty for the very first time and her heart grew even more toward Gallagher.

heartages
⊙ω⊙

Old 11-26-2009, 12:42 AM

[034.] Edeline's Faulty Memory

Secretly, Edeline wanted to climb into that bed with her sleeping love and hold him all night. But she knew she couldn't. She watched his chest rise and fall, steadily. She remembered earlier when they had arrived at the residence of Chronos through the clock. She'd met Morpheus. He warned her about her connection to the family of Chronos. Since then, she'd been having severe headaches, something she refused to worry Gallagher about, mainly due to another of her symptoms.

Edeline was remembering things that had never happened; remembering places she had never been. It bothered her, especially considering that most of the foreign memories involved a romantic relationship between Gallagher and herself. She would be far too embarrassed to tell him such a thing.

She exited the room and turned to find herself face to face with Morpheus, who was grinning madly. "My memory," she flatly stated, "you've done something to it. My memory is faulty."

"Not faulty," he laughed. "It really is your memory. I just stole those particular memories from your future self and have given them to you now." Edeline gasped, almost excitedly and out of embarrassment. That meant that she actually would be with Gallagher in the future! "Just wait until the total memory unfurls. And ponder my words from today very, very carefully." He faded away, smiling in a sinister manner.

Edeline didn't know what to make of his final words before he took his leave. Ponder his words? Which words should she ponder exactly? She thought about everything he had just spoken about, running it through her mind slowly. Eventually, it hit her. He had stolen her memory in the future. What could that mean for her future self? What was in store?

Last edited by heartages; 07-05-2010 at 08:32 PM..

heartages
⊙ω⊙

Old 11-26-2009, 01:02 AM

[083.] Underwater

Edeline felt herself falling. Her body was helplessly flipping and tumbling through the air. She knew she was hurtling downward toward the ground, although she was only able to see an endless sea of clouds. Edeline had never felt so much fear in her life. On top of her fear, her skin was burning from the battery of her hair and skirts constantly whipping against it.

Very quickly, Edeline emerged from the clouds and she could see the ocean suddenly approaching. The clouds must have been very low. It was a ridiculous thought to have had at that moment.

Edeline tried with all her might to straighten her body in the air and to keep from spinning and tumbling so much, but it was very difficult for her. She was coming upon the water very rapidly and she panicked. Am I going to drown there?

She somehow managed to land in the water feet first, but still hit hard enough to stun herself. Her dress was heavy underwater, although her body itself wouldn't move if she tried. The world below was quiet and calm after the bubbles cleared the way and all floated to the surface. The salty water burned her eyes and as she watched the bubbles disappearing above, Edeline sank farther down. Her body had not yet begun to beg for air, but she knew it would be coming soon.

A few moments passed and she regained feeling and felt a sense of urgency. Kicking her feet, she tried to overcome the weight of her wet dress with force, but to no avail. She continued to sink and her lungs finally began to burn. Am I going to die?

The water had stopped burning her eyes and she began looking around the beautiful blue world. The water was clear and the temperature was comfortable. But it was an empty place. There weren't even any fish around at that particular time; there was only nothingness.

The beautiful blue colors began to swirl about and Edeline felt her consciousness drifting away. Goodbye, Gallagher, her final thoughts came before she lost herself, giving into the darkness.

heartages
⊙ω⊙

Old 12-02-2009, 05:38 PM

[031.] Sister

Alanova took her pack and began to make her way silently to the cottage door for fear of waking anyone in the sleeping house. The wind was blowing mightily outside, making the old home creak, so no one would notice a few more creaks. She reached her hand to the doorknob and suddenly felt someone's small arms gently wrap around her waist.

Her little sister, Atalie, probably the quietest and most adorable child in the world, silently sobbed into the curve of her back.

"Alanova," she wept, "you promised you wouldn't go anywhere." Alanova didn't move.

"I'm sorry, Atalie, but I have to break that promise," she replied, softly.

"No," Atalie squeaked. "I won't let you go," she cried harder.

"Oh, Atalie," Alanova turned to her, placing her hand to Atalie's cheek, clearing away some of her tears. "I have to get away from here. But I can make you a new promise: I will come back for you someday."

"But what if you break that promise, too? How can I believe you?" Atalie distressed.

"Then I'll make a promise not to break that promise," Alanova smiled.

"And how do I know you'll keep that promise?" Atalie sniffled.

"Because I'll promise to keep it," Alanova wiped away a few more tears from her tiny sister's face. Atalie giggled and then embraced her big sister.

"I don't want you to leave! I'll miss you so much!" She began crying again.

"I'll miss you, too. You'll always be my little sister and I'll never forget to come back for you. I love you," Alanova gave her one final tight squeeze, then pulled away and turned back toward the door. She was holding back tears. "Good-bye, Atalie."

"Good-bye," Atalie whispered, fighting back sobs. Alanova opened the door and stepped out into the darkness, leaving her crying sister behind.

Last edited by heartages; 07-05-2010 at 08:36 PM..

heartages
⊙ω⊙

Old 12-02-2009, 06:31 PM

[032.] Darkness

Slowly, Braeden pulled his blades away from Riley. Ferocity, however, was the emotion conveyed on his face. He lifted one of his blades high into the air, no one knowing his intentions. He may have been ready to swing down, hard and fast.

Gallagher intercepted him. “Your quarrel is with me, though I know not what for.”

“Yes,” Braeden grinned, maliciously. “My quarrel is with you.” The darkness of the night seemed fitting for him as Gallagher looked into his eyes. This man, he thought, is enveloped in darkness.

The two began their fight, but Gallagher was greatly overpowered and out-skilled. He was thrown to the ground, weaponless, within in minutes. Gallagher tried to prepare himself for Braeden’s finishing blow, but instead found Braeden throwing his own weapons to the ground.

“I will not kill you, Gallagher of the line of Chronos, though I am meant to take out my revenge on you. However, I am going to make you suffer my pain, see my darkness, as I know your conscience will cause you to feel guilt and grief beyond compare.”

“You know of my family?” Gallagher asked.

“Oh, yes,” Braeden looked angry though he smiled. “I know of your family. Your family led to my descent into darkness, the same darkness which will also consume you, Gallagher. Now, if you want nothing to come of these lovely ladies, and if you value your life, you will come with me.”

“I will come,” Gallagher was not afraid.

“I’m going with Gallagher! I will not allow you to take him away alone!” Edeline rushed up, still afraid of the man.

“And I’m going too,” Riley said, quietly, disheartened from the previous events.

Last edited by heartages; 12-05-2009 at 02:17 AM..

heartages
⊙ω⊙

Old 12-02-2009, 06:33 PM

[035.] Misfortune

Braeden stood his ground, his eyes gleaming in the darkness. He had never looked so evil. Thunder cracked in the skies above. He faced down his enemy, the one he had been seeking for so many years.

Gallagher took a sideways step, but never took his eyes off Braeden. This man meant nothing to him. Gallagher did not know him. Yet, Braeden’s rage toward Gallagher was immense and pure. What an unfortunate chain of events.

“What sort of dispute do you have with me?” Gallagher asked.

“Shut up! You should know very well! After all, the only reason I still exist is because of you!” Braeden’s anger had never been so powerful, and yet he felt he was in complete control.

“That doesn’t make any sense!” Gallagher shouted.

“I’ve been shown the way!” Braeden called down the alleyway to him. “I’ve been given the path to my target! You are my release. You are my freedom!” Braeden charged him with his long ebony blade.

“I don’t understand!” Gallagher drew his own sword and began charging as well. Edeline tried to scream, but she couldn’t find her voice. She cowered in the distance, terrified for Gallagher’s life.

Suddenly, Riley lunged into Gallagher, just barely breaking him of Braeden’s line of fire. “Don’t be a fool!” She shouted. “He is a trained assassin!” There was a moment of silence before Braeden took a step back toward them.

“You knew, Riley?” He asked, a little perturbed.

“Yes,” she replied, standing and reaching to the backside of her shoulder strap. What misfortune had it been that led to this? She pulled her axe from its usual place on her back. “And I have sworn to bring you down.”

Gallagher stared up at her in horror. “I can’t, but you can fight him?” he said accusatorially.

“I have been trained rigorously to take down members of the Guild of Assassins,” she stated, carefully, but Gallagher could sense the fear, anguish and immense sadness in her voice. It was apparent in her stance, in her slight trembling, in the glint of tears in her eyes. Her heart was breaking. Riley did not want to fight Braeden. She had never intended to. This misfortune, she thought to herself, I will have to face this and overcome it. I must be strong.

Last edited by heartages; 07-05-2010 at 08:40 PM..

heartages
⊙ω⊙

Old 12-02-2009, 06:35 PM

[095.] Duel

Braeden was trembling. He was looking at his feet, and his face was hidden. “So…” he said, “You’re a traitor, too?” he looked up. Riley had never seen such a maniacal face. Braeden had been driven to insanity. “That must be right. Everyone’s a traitor! No one is trustworthy!” He dropped his sword and drew out his dual blades and charged at Riley. She blocked and dodged his first attacks. “So, you really are pretty good! But I’m better!” Braeden shouted and laughed out his words. His eyes were terrifying, but Riley never lost her cool.

In the midst of the fight, though, Riley’s face came incredibly close to Braeden’s at one point. She saw that he was crying. He was crying. He had been hurt. He was hurting so badly it had driven him to the brink of insanity.

Braeden abruptly stopped fighting. Riley had dropped her axe and had done it purposely. “Pick up your weapon,” he choked out, speaking a bit more seriously than he had sounded before.

“I will not,” Riley forced down a sob as she quietly spoke.

“Pick it up!” Braeden shouted.

“No!” Riley shouted in return.

“Why not?! This is what you have trained for! This is what you believe in! Taking out assassins, right?”

“Yes, stopping the assassin’s guild is what I’ve trained for. But I never imagined there could be good people among assassins,” Riley said.

“Good people? Ha! Me? A good person? You’re out of your mind! Anything good that I’ve ever done was only to prevent my cover from being blown. And you think I’m a good person?” He laughed, but he looked disconcerted.

“I know you’re a good person,” Riley’s words made him snap.

“Shut up!” He charged her again, pinning her to the ground with his blades crossing over her neck.

“Go ahead and kill me,” She stated, simply.

“Why would you want me to do that?” She could tell that his sanity was nearing its complete return.

“Because it’s better than my having to fight you,” she closed her eyes. “Yes,” she reassured herself. “I would rather die than have to continue fighting you this way.”

“Why?” Braeden was sincerely interested in her answer.

“Why do you truly think I never told you that I knew you were an assassin? There were plenty of opportunities where I could have killed you, but I didn’t. Why do you think that was? I refused to believe that you were an assassin to begin with for a long time. So why?”

“That’s what I’m asking you: Why?” Braeden earnestly awaited her answer.

“I love you, Braeden,” she finally said.

Last edited by heartages; 07-05-2010 at 08:44 PM..

heartages
⊙ω⊙

Old 12-27-2009, 11:43 PM

[043.] Hero

The heat from the blazing fires enveloped Fallen as he flew over the burning city. Who would have thought that this magnificent metal city could be in flames? This is no normal fire, Fallen thought. There are few who could be behind this horrific trepidation.

As much as Fallen feared and was angered and hurt by humankind, he never wished them this tragedy, or even any harm at all. He wanted to help those people who had rejected and abused him. Fallen felt within himself for the strength and power to do what he needed to do. Then he arced up to the sky and disappeared into the sky. He would make it rain on the burning city and that rain would calm the fires. Or so he thought.

Ten minutes had passed before Fallen emerged from the clouds, his body weakened from the moisture. He smiled as he watched the rain finally beginning to fall, but his happiness quickly turned to horror when the flames only grew bigger and more powerful. How could that be happening? The fire was wild and ferocious.

Fallen returned to the ground on the cape just outside the city. It was where he and Alanova had once spent many days enjoying the weather and enjoying life itself. Then, the place seemed like something out of a nightmare. What could he do? His efforts seemed to only make things worse. By that point, his body was ready to give out. He had taken a huge risk by making the rain, and he had failed at saving the city.

Fallen collapsed on the ground.

heartages
⊙ω⊙

Old 08-15-2010, 01:42 AM

[045.] Fallen Meets the Dragons.

Fallen stared out over the beautiful, seemingly endless depiction of scenery. Of course, it wasn't endless. It was only an artful masterpiece, but it just looked so realistic. As he took a few steps forward, he knelt down so that he could get a closer look at all the tiny mechanical goings-on of the magnificent little world.

"My 'father' created all this?" He asked as the bent, older man stepped over to him.

"Not your real father, mind you, Fallen," the mad scientist stated bluntly.

"Who was my real father?" Fallen asked.

"I don't know. Not sure if Dr. Hatimos even knew. It seemed to me like he just picked you up from somewhere. Hati was never one to get attached to anything, but he sure did get attached to you. First, it was just the project, but eventually, you became his entire world and he wouldn't dare let anything happen to you. It wasn't pride, either. It was love. He truly did love you like a son. But of course, he was killed before you were activated. That was so many years ago." Dreyergar explained.

"Did you finish me, then?" Fallen asked, but before he got his answer, he noticed what seemed like a handful of tiny creatures, almost like bees, flying around in the manufactured world. They seemed to "notice" him at the same time, as well, because they changed direction and flew up by his face where he was able to get a better look at them. "Dragons!" He said.

"Yes, yes, dragons indeed. One of our great creations," he started but decided to correct himself, "or horrible experiments. They aren't mechanical like everything else is. They are real dragons, Fallen."

"How can they be real?" Fallen inquired grinning, more sincerely interested than Dreyergar had ever seen a person.

"It's a funny story, actually. The dragons were tired of hiding, you see, and Hati happened across one on his walk in the woods. It was the great elder dragon, and Hati struck a deal with him so that he didn't get eaten," Dreyergar laughed. "He said he was a scientist and that he could invent something to make all the dragons invisible. Instead, what Hatimos and I concocted was none other than a shrinking potion, and all the dragons are now tiny little creatures. Hati made this place for them to live. To this day, I don't know if the dragons are happy as they are or if they hate Hati and I for all the trouble we've caused them," Dreyergar laughed heartily.

"They are magnificent creatures," Fallen said, observing them closely, still smiling, and all as if he hadn't heard a word Dreyergar had spoken to him.

A few moments of silence passed as Dreyergar solemnly studied the distracted Fallen.

"I never would have guessed you would still be alive," he spoke softly. The word 'alive' struck a cord somewhere within Fallen, and he swiftly spun on the shriveled scientist. "You were in the same warehouse as Hatimos. The one that was destroyed around him. I wonder why it was that you suddenly awakened? What could have possibly put the power into you after so many years?"

Fallen stared at the man blankly as the tiny dragons flew around him until each and every one found a place to perch on him. All of them, along with Dreyergar, seemed intent on hearing what Fallen had to say about the matter. But the truth was, Fallen had no idea what to say. He didn't understand what was meant or how much time had passed or how he could have survived.

He was so focused on the fact that he knew Dreyergar, one of his co-creators, thought of him as a living creature.

Last edited by heartages; 08-15-2010 at 01:47 AM..

heartages
⊙ω⊙

Old 11-13-2011, 01:26 AM

[044.] Gloomy Reflection in the Mirror

Braeden stared out the window. He had given everything away. He had lost everything.

To be completely honest, he would have given it all up anyway just to have the life he was pretending to live with Riley. But he had ruined it all. Riley had known all along that he was an assassin. He could never face her with all the guilt and blood on his hands.

Braeden had made a lot of mistakes in his life, but he had justified them by telling himself it would all work out in the end. It would all work itself out when he could find Gallagher and exact his revenge. He had failed, though. It was all a failure due to the fact that he was at war with himself. He looked to the large mirror across the room.

"Who am I?" he asked himself. "What am I supposed to do now?"

Braeden had no idea what to believe anymore. Had he been fed lies from the beginning? Who was Morpheus, really? Was Gallagher honestly his enemy or not? What was the truth?

His thoughts were interrupted when there came a few knocks at his door. Braeden refused to respond. He didn't want to see anyone, let alone talk about anything. The door was opened anyway while a small, quiet, feminine voice spoke, "Excuse me... I'm sorry to intrude, but there are some things I need to tell you."

Whoever it was stood using the door as a shield almost, seemingly hiding behind it for dear life. Braeden took one last look at his nearly lifeless reflection in the mirror before he turned to really see who it was.

Oh, he thought drolly, It's that bookworm.

heartages
⊙ω⊙

Old 11-13-2011, 01:53 AM

[073.] Faded to Grey.

Edeline stood, incredibly uneasy, in Braeden's midst. He was motionless and it almost seemed like his spirit was completely drained. There were dark circles and bags under his eyes. His gaze was distant and lost, his hair a mess, and his clothing tattered and torn. Edeline gathered he had ruined his clothing on his own due to other signs of self-destruction. His knuckles were bleeding and there were obvious signs that he had been abusing the walls and other parts of the room. Of course, everyone had heard him at the start of his outrageous outburst.

At that moment, though, Braeden sat in his bunk, so lifeless, so completely lost. He must have been drowning within himself and all the darkness he had become and once had been had all faded to grey.

"Braeden..." She began to speak, slowly, trying not to let his gloom sway her resolve. "I understand a man called Morpheus had a hand in your path set to take revenge out on Gallagher and his family." Braeden didn't speak. He didn't move. His gaze never shifted. "Do you have any idea who Morpheus is?" Edeline asked him. No response. "Or were you so consumed by your hatred that you never stopped to think about it?" Her tone changed a bit. "Believe it or not, Morpheus is a part of the family you sought out. He is the oldest of all his siblings, Gallagher's mother being one of his youngest sisters. That's right! Morpheus is the eldest son of Chronos. And he is a bit of a hateful creature himself, you know."

Edeline had noticed that Braeden's eyes had widened a bit at her story. "Now why would Morpheus have you kill his nephew, I wonder, Braeden?" She continued. "Why would he set you on that path? What good would it do him?" Edeline continued drilling, practically begging for a response. Braeden looked up at her, almost like a lost, frightened child. He must have felt his entire life had been a lie. "Perhaps it was because Chronos proclaimed Gallagher as the rightful heir as the Keeper of Time. The rightful heir to the very powers the Extraordinary Chronos took charge of. Morpheus hated Gallagher and his parents to begin with. Gallagher's father was an ordinary human, after all. But Morpheus's assumed place as heir had been taken and presented to another, and someone he did not approve of, at that. Now that we have motive, it begs the question, 'who actually hurt you to begin with?' And how does killing Gallagher help you? it will not take your pain away. You would really only be helping the very man who destroyed your life to begin with, would you not?"

Edeline then realized what terrible news she had just thrust upon Braeden. She had only wanted to protect Gallagher, but she had just intensified the greyness of a person who had decidedly lived his life in darkness.

He really was drowning inside himself. He was lost in a grey world he was not used to. It was a grey world he knew nothing about and did not understand. It had all just faded to that gloomy grey.