Cap'n Tobias
⊙ω⊙

Old 08-12-2009, 03:09 AM

First off, I would like to say, I have not edited this much at all yet, I am more concerned if it is good enough to go on. But if there is something sticking out there, so annoying, please don't hesitate to say something. But I mostly want to know if the beginning is good enough, or should I change it a bit?

In the gloom of the tavern, a small light attracted all the attention. It was only one small candle, very dim, but not a single eye strayed from it. There was hardly any wick left, barely enough for a few more seconds. Then, all eyes on it, it went out. Not a single sound, not a single movement. Bang! The door opened with a thud, and in walked a rather tall, imposing man.
"Good," he said, his voice creamy but all together weary. "You have all followed orders to the point. I, as promised, shall not keep you waiting."
The man strode over to the bar, fixed a light, suddenly, the tavern came to life. People whispered, pointing to the man now standing on the bar.
He looked as though he were a pirate, with jewels hanging around his neck, on his hands, ears and all the such. He had silver-white hair, and pure white glistening teeth. The one thing the stood out the most was a simple wristband, embedded with a sparkling opal, flashing different colors as it hit the light.
"Show what you intend to promise!" shouted someone in the back of the tavern.
"How sir, could I show you fame and treasure that I do not yet own?" he raised an eyebrow, the whispering briefly halted to await a response, when none came, the continued. A small almost inaudible voice asked through the noise, "Will this reward greatly, or endanger us even more so?" Though the voice was weak, the importance of the question was more forceful than the voice behind it. The tavern fell silent, all looking at the man for an answer.
"That best be answered by the man asking the question." all eyes shifted to the small, weak-voiced man. "Not who spoke the question, but the one who is thinking such."
The last sentence hung in the air as, unnoticed, the man on the bar slipped silently away, back into the night.
“Captain Quake! You're back soon!” exclaimed a rather gangly boy locked in combat with another more muscular looking boy. Surprisingly, the smaller of the two was winning.
"Lieutenant Youngblood! Better than ever!" praised the captain. "Chila! Losing to such, skin." the muscular man rolled his eyes and said, "Hamlet is stronger than he looks." he smiled, dropping his pose and fake sword.
"Let this be a lesson to you, Chila, never underestimate people by body figure." As Chila nodded, the captain walked on, to his cabin. Staying on the coast for a night or two was dangerous yet it provided a chance for a bigger crew for such voyage. The Treasure of the Undesirables was more valuable than life itself. Only two such ships have journeyed for it, neither of which were to be found again.
Granted, it had only been two days since The Raven had disappeared and there was still a chance in finding it. Chance Quake's brother was undoubtly dead. Seeking revenge, he came up with a plan, a devilishly good one at that. Upon announcing it to his crew, many had fled the ship in fear of death. He had very few crew members left, he had, as he believed, the most unloyal crew he had ever seen.
“Can you tell me the tale of the Undesirables?” exclaimed someone on the deck; it sounded like a young child’s voice.
“Go ask someone else.” said a gruff, weary voice. The captain opened his door and beckoned the kid to come in, the child scurried in.
“What you be wanting?” the captain asked the child. The child looked guiltily, he said “I am Gianluca, I been trying to get to America, from Italy. Would you mind if I rode on your ship for awhile?” not waiting for a response he went on, “I can help, I’ll join your crew!” Captain Quake could hear the desperateness in his voice.
“You can join, but first we will be going on a, you could say, ‘treasure hunt’.” The captain eyed the child, “You up for said ‘treasure hunt?’”
Gianluca thought for a moment, “I will go on your ‘treasure hunt’ if you promise to tell me the tale of the Undesirables!” The boy was so eager, so eager to lose his innocence. Captain Quake went back to his desk pulling out a quill, piece of paper and a small knife out of a drawer. He dipped the quill in ink, and scribbled something on the paper. When he was done he got up and placed the paper in front of Gianluca.
“You be signing here if you joining my crew. If not, I suggest you get off my ship!” with that he silt his wrist, dabbed the quill in his blood, and signed his name at the bottom of the paper. Wiping his blood away with a piece of cloth, he handed Gianluca the knife.
“You’ll be signing with mixed blood. Soil your blood with that of that of the Captain’s.” Gianluca stared at it a moment then, he too, silt his wrist and signed below the captain’s signature.
“Welcome to the crew, lad!” exclaimed Quake as he handed the cloth to Gianluca to wipe his blood. He called someone in from the deck. It was a rather young, skinny girl with long waist length, dark red hair and gleaming green eyes.
“You called Captain?” she asked upon stepping inside the cabin.
“Yes, Gianluca, this is Deputy Captain Grace Pelée, Grace this is the newest member of the crew, Gianluca…” he glanced at the paper he had just signed, “Paricutín. Will we be so kind as to show him to his cabin and tell him his duties?”
“Nice to meet you, ‘Luca. Yes Captain.” she turned gesturing for ‘Luca to follow, then left. With ‘Luca on her heels, the captain went back to his desk, and back to his thoughts. Were there any others like ‘Luca? How many are willing to risk their lives with knowing what lies ahead?
Youngblood and ‘Luca were on night watch, tomorrow around midday they would be leaving for their, so called, ‘treasure hunt’.
“The captain’s a fine man, you get used to it around here, soon enough.” Said Youngblood, while they were sitting, keeping watch.
“I never been on a pirate ship before, to tell the truth.” said ‘Luca watching the flicker of lights in the tavern.
“Then how you get this far?” asked Youngblood, raising an eyebrow, ‘Luca adjusted his position.
“Mostly hiding on container ships.” breathing heavily, he continued. “I tried five times already to get out of here, they always caught me.” he stood up, “Either I getting outta here, or just going to my death. Both ways this place ain’t letting me go that easily.”
“You saying that it cursed or something?” asked Youngblood turning towards ‘Luca.
“I don’t know. When my friends tried years before, it took most of them to their deaths, trying to get out of here. I thought it was just a bad time to leave. Believe me! I was very wrong.” ‘Luca walked to the rail, “I’ve already been here a year, it’s not getting any easier. Going on this, ‘treasure hunt’, is as good as killing myself.” Youngblood joined him at the rail. “The captain is set on finding this rare treasure, but he won’t sacrifice his crew, not even for treasure.” He smiled at ‘Luca slightly.

Nolori
Everyone's Favorite Imaginary Fr...

Old 08-18-2009, 08:33 PM

I've started to edit this once or twice, but every time I start I don't think I'm doing what you're asking for. What do you mean by 'good enough'? If you like the story, I hope you've continued to work on it!

I'd like to go through and edit it as I do other things on the board, especially since I have a fondness for pirates and know a wee bit about the subject, but if that's not what you want I won't.

Generally, I suggest putting double spaces between paragraphs for the internet, only because it's easier on the eyes. I also like the way the pirates talk, but suggest that maybe you could knock off, or add on, a few letters here and there to add to the effect of an accent for a few of them?

And, out of curiosity, how to do you say Gianluca? I'd like to be able to say it aloud (I whisper to myself when I read) and sound like I know what I'm talking about. Heh.

So, sure, it's good enough to go on. But everything can be made better! If you'll allow me to go through the piece, then I think you can just hold on to the advice you want to use to go back and edit later.