fishnet
⊙ω⊙

Old 04-06-2007, 06:12 AM

Anyone ever taken music lessons of any kind, or thought of taking lessons? For anyone who's ever taken music lessons, how has your experience been? Fun and worthwhile or just a lot of work?

For about two years, I attended private flute tutoring lessons. My flute skills improved exponentially. ^^;; (Not that it must've been very difficult for my teacher, as I was pretty damn terrible to start off.) But then my school's band became boring, and once all the "good people" dropped out, so did I.

So that was the end of my flute-playing career, short as it was. XD I take voice lessons now, and I've been taking for the past... I think this is my third year. Lessons work--they really do. And they're worth it; I've gotten so much better. My teacher is a terribly kind, funny oldish man, and he's really helped my in all the areas I've needed to improve (you know, those tough areas, meaning all of them ;D).

And now I'm dying for piano lessons, seeing as I'm clueless as to how to play for myself. And the piano's such a beautiful instrument!

Alegretto
\ (•◡•) /
Send a message via AIM to Alegretto Send a message via MSN to Alegretto

Old 04-06-2007, 06:14 AM

I did about five or six years of trombone lessons. Sure as hell helped me back in high school. But now I've pretty much stopped, and so the lessons have ended as well.

I'd like to get lessons on the bass guitar, though. Someday.... Somehow...

Kung Fu Moses
(-.-)zzZ

Old 04-06-2007, 06:43 AM

For around two years now I've been going to guitar lessons. Basically, rather than going by the books and learning I've been taught to play by bringing in the song and figuring it out by ear and having assistance to figure out the proper chords and such. It's such a fun way to learn and I don't get burned out on playing. And I guess if it counts, I was in band throughout my years of High School and such as a first chair Alto Sax player. Though that's not really considered being tutored I suppose. x3;

Aeva
⊙ω⊙

Old 04-06-2007, 03:01 PM

I had a few saxophone lessons.

But, ah, I'm a bit of a lazy person and I don't plan on playing saxophone forever. I'm good enough for our high school band and I usually know what I'm doing.

DragonsRage24
⊙ω⊙
n/a

Old 04-06-2007, 03:50 PM

The only music I've been able to play is Piano, I started when I was little because I wanted to be just like my big sister and play. It was so hard in the beginning, and near the end of my lessons, I had to stop because I got stung my a bee on one of my fingers and it made it hard to play music fast adn clean like I could before it. I played for so many years though, I play sometimes on my free time, but not with lessons. I also play songs during christmas, usually loud on christmas morning to wake everyone up but thats alright, its a nice way to wake up rather then having me jump on people. But yea, the lessons were fun adn my teacher was so nice. She helped me a lot and I'll never forget her.

Piano=love

Flying Wings
(^._.^)ノ
Send a message via MSN to Flying Wings

Old 04-06-2007, 04:31 PM

I am taking piano lessons, this is my fourth year. ^^ I don't plan on stopping until I finish college. I love playing the piano and I'll continue forevermore. Not to mention it's my main talent.

fishnet
⊙ω⊙

Old 04-06-2007, 05:55 PM

Flying Wings & DragonsRage24
Piano lessons! That's awesome. X3 Aaah, I wish I could take classes and learn. I'd love to hear you guys play!

Aliena
(^._.^)ノ

Old 04-06-2007, 06:40 PM

I took piano lessons when I was really young - 1st and 2nd grade. I was playing at a 6th grade level and then decided I just didn't want to do it anymore. What a huge mistake! I retaught myself how to play in junior high, but I could be so much more skilled had I just stayed with it.

I did take voice lessons all through high school, though, too.

Zye
⊙ω⊙
Send a message via AIM to Zye Send a message via MSN to Zye

Old 04-06-2007, 08:59 PM

I think they are good for the first two years, but there becomes a point where you don't need an instructor and the way to improve is by exploring music on your own... or at least that is true in my experience of 12 years of piano lessons.

DeniedUltraSex
Dead Account Holder
Send a message via MSN to DeniedUltraSex

Old 04-07-2007, 05:30 AM

I love music.
I'm 15 and in school I'm in two different music programs.
Choir and guitar!~

Best classes. And where I live music all three years of any kind is a college/university entrance.

-^_^-

Lysander
⊙ω⊙
Send a message via MSN to Lysander

Old 09-19-2007, 12:14 PM

I took lessons for instruments through school and privately. I could have gotten my grade 7 for trumpet through the conservatory, but I didn't bother. I still play my trumpet in an orchestra.

I took lessons for piano. I wish I could start up again, I feel bad for stopping after I got my grade 4.

Drum lessons were awesome when I took them. I got to play on an electric kit, which kicked butt since I don't have my own electric kit.

I want to take proper lessons on my violin, instead of just teaching myself and have random teacher from my old school or my mother (who has played since she was 10) on how to fix my mistakes. I don't like having my mother teach me, it's too much of a hassle.

I wish I could take vocal lessons, though, I doubt that will ever happen.

Knerd
I put the K in "Misspelling"

Assistant Administrator

Old 09-19-2007, 01:55 PM

I've got about nine years of French horn lessons under my belt. They were all provided by my school, so I had to attend them in order to be in our band. I can't say that they did me much good. I did most of my learning on my own time, but at least they gave me some new material to practice.

I also took about two trombone lessons. They gave me a good basis for the instrument. Once I found middle C, and learned the right hand positions, I was able to teach myself to play the entire instrument. I don't think the teacher was too happy with letting me go after such a short time, though.