they_call_me_kitten
⊙ω⊙
Send a message via AIM to they_call_me_kitten Send a message via MSN to they_call_me_kitten

Old 05-05-2007, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by falling sanity
Quote:
Originally Posted by they_call_me_kitten
Quote:
Originally Posted by falling sanity
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljosberinn
I can never understand when people say that about some genre of music they might not like.
In what way isn't it music? Have you listened to a lot of metal? Or at least enough of it to be able to come off with statements like that? :|
I wasn't saying it in all seriousness, but from what I've heard from the genre, I like none of it. I have friends that listen to a lot of metal and I can't stand it... I don't like the music itself, or the "singing". To me it's just noise.
Well... isn't that pretty much all music? Just a bunch of noise?
Not to me...

To me metal has no rhythm or heart. Other music does. Other music flows to me, whereas metal just sounds like a bunch of clashing sounds. So yeah...
Technically... all music IS noise. Some just more pleasing to to the ear then others. Besides, if you don't like metal, why bother coming into a thread that clearly states it's topic in the title?
Oh and that also answers why I called you a troll earlier.

Anywho... this is starting to get into some kind of pissing contest. I'm just going to drop this topic now. If you decide to carry on, go ahead. I won't be responding anymore.
Well I figured that since the topic wasn't "Metal Fans" that I could come in here and say what I please. And I understand that all music is noise, but whatever. And just because I don't agree with you that doesn't mean that you can call me a troll. I didn't call you a name, in fact I didn't call anyone a name.

I was just stating my opinion, which I think is allowed by anyone and every one. So thank you and goodbye.

luvian_elf
n/a

Old 05-07-2007, 05:26 PM

I don't really like the tension here so I am going to return to the previous conversation... :wink:

I've been listening to classic rock and metal for a long time (DEEP PURPLE! Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath, Frank Zappa) and I've been introduced to the further metal flows only the last 2 years but I have formed some preferences...

Power, black, epic, goth, viking, folk and symphonic metal match better with my character.

Bands I like the most:
Blind Guardian, Battlelore, Haggard, Finntroll, Iced Earth, Hammerfall, Nightwish, Korpiklaani, just to mention a few.

ljosberinn
This is an obnoxious and offensi...

Old 05-07-2007, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Well I figured that since the topic wasn't "Metal Fans" that I could come in here and say what I please. And I understand that all music is noise, but whatever. And just because I don't agree with you that doesn't mean that you can call me a troll. I didn't call you a name, in fact I didn't call anyone a name.

I was just stating my opinion, which I think is allowed by anyone and every one. So thank you and goodbye.
While I completely agree about the Troll part being unnecessary, even though you didn't call anyone a name, it's still a bit rude saying some genre of music isn't music, just because you personally don't like it. :/ I personally can't stand statements like that because they are so utterly bigoted.
And anyway, if you come into a thread called Metal, you'd expect to find some metal fans around. So I wouldn't act all surprised that you were attacked a bit. :3

Dillo
(^._.^)ノ

Old 05-07-2007, 09:48 PM

i love metal.:]
but i like screamo,and hardcore to.

stilettolover
Dead Account Holder
Send a message via AIM to stilettolover

Old 05-08-2007, 02:32 AM

People who say metal isn't music typically think that all metal is the singer growling into the microphone and all the instruments in the back are turned up to 11. It's not. That's just certain genres of metal.

Metal includes some of the best singers ever. Freddy Mercury. Rob Halford. Bruce Dickenson. Sebastian Bach. Meatloaf. Metal and hard rock are interchangable at times-- Ozzy Osbourne never considered Black Sabbath to be metal, but for metal fans they are the very definition of metal and Ozzy is their god (although Ozzy isn't the greatest singer in the world, his voice has an undeniable power)--the other metal god being Rob Halford, lead singer of Judas Priest. He blows my mind--and my ear drum once-- every time I listen to him.

Metal is not this limited genre--it has it's hand in everything and it takes its influences from many sources. The Beatles. Hendrix. What were they but the beginning of hard rock which ultimately lead to metal?

What are we but a culture fueled by metal? Other genres go out and never come back the same but metal stands the test of time. You can't tell me that metal songs from nearly fifty years ago aren't still relevant and powerful today--and have a sound so classic it will never go out of style.

Metal is somehow the most underrated genre of music ever, but ever the most popular. I haven't heard 99% of these rappers, hip-hop artists and other pop music icons--but I guarantee there isn't a person in the industrialized world who hasn't heard "Welcome to the Jungle" at least once. I think most people would be surprised to know how much metal they've heard in their life--because they don't understand how broad of a category of music it is.

Pfft. I don't like rap either, but it's still a form of music--and I've heard a lot of rap. There are styles I dig. So before people make a judgement call like that they should spend a little time researching.

falling sanity
⊙ω⊙

Old 05-08-2007, 07:34 AM

Just to clear it up with everyone, the reason I called the person a troll was because the individual was trying to provoke a negative remark from people. I wasn't name calling but merely stating their action. Anywho, agreed, subject should be dropped and not brought up anymore. It was my fault. I'll take blame for that LOL.

sexy stewart:I'm pretty much in the same boat as you. I like the whole screaming/singing mixture.

The Silvershade Lynx
(-.-)zzZ

Old 05-14-2007, 12:48 AM

To whoever said metal has no rhythm or heart, you obviously haven't dealved deep enough into the genre. While it's true that some of the more mainstream bands aren't the greatest, that shouldn't detract from the genre as a whole.

And if you think all metal bands "growl", try listening to genres like Power, Heavy, or even some Doom. Listen to Dio or Maiden. RJD and Dickinson have amazing vocals. Even Death and Black metal has some amazing vocals that are much more than the "cookie monster vocals."

ljosberinn
This is an obnoxious and offensi...

Old 05-14-2007, 01:40 PM

Cookie monster vocals made me giggle. :lol:

Can anyone recommend me any good symphonic, gothic or folk metal, please? I don't think I know many enough but would love to get some more.

SonyTwilight
⊙ω⊙
Send a message via MSN to SonyTwilight

Old 05-22-2007, 02:24 AM

speed and melodic death.

bands: Children of Bodom, In Flames, Dragonforce, Cannibal Corpse, etc. i forgot the others. my mp3 has limited space and i started listening to more of a variety now.

Yehough
⊙ω⊙
n/a

Old 05-28-2007, 12:57 PM

opiate
(っ◕‿◕)&...
Banned

Old 05-28-2007, 04:49 PM

Hi Yehough! **cuddles**

I second MOST of what she said. Although I add in Tool, A Perfect Circle, Placebo, Mudvayne, Delain, Xandria and some Lacuna Coil.

Yehough
⊙ω⊙
n/a

Old 06-01-2007, 12:48 PM

Lehila
Dead Account Holder
Send a message via MSN to Lehila

Old 06-18-2007, 03:30 PM

nu-metal, thrash, power, death and folk metal are the love. gah, i wish we had something like a metal-centred tv station, i would give my life to watch that <3

Katurine
Web Warrior for GrailKnights

Old 06-18-2007, 03:40 PM

Hmm...I have some problems with naming kinds of my favorite music genres...
Well, I like Nightwish, Apocalyptica, HIM, Linkin Park, The 69 Eyes, Sonata Arctica, Within Temptation, Lacrimas Profundere...Ya know, stuff like that. ^^;

DreamEmpress
*^_^*

Old 06-20-2007, 12:25 AM

Nu Metal is Not Metal. Having heavy guatars and playing load does not qualify as metal. Most of the bands that are in that genre are more hard rock then they are metal. I am not a music expert but I can hear the difference.

Anyway my favorite genres consist mainlys of Melodic Black Metal, Melodic Death Metal, Heavy Metal, Power Metal, Folk Metal, Progressive Metal and Symphonic Power Metal.

I like Amon Amarth, Opeth, Blind Guardian, Iron Maiden, Saxon, Dream Theater, Judas Priest, Nile, Mastodon, Demons and Wizards, Symphony X, Fairyland, Epiclore, Naplam Death, Nasfar, Immortal, Emperor, Burzum, Rhapsody of Fire and many others.

nilP
*^_^*

Old 06-20-2007, 02:06 PM

Heavy and Power is my usual genres, even though i have gone abit to the Death way now, I have started to listen to Six Feet Under and well i like it, i really like it.

Other bans i like are: Dreamevil, DragonForce, almost any other older Heavy group.

DreamEmpress
*^_^*

Old 06-22-2007, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilP
Heavy and Power is my usual genres, even though i have gone abit to the Death way now, I have started to listen to Six Feet Under and well i like it, i really like it.

Other bans i like are: Dreamevil, DragonForce, almost any other older Heavy group.
For you I would suggest Opeth. They are Melodic Death Metal and you might enjoy them better (considering you like Power Metal) better then your normal Death Metal bands.

I also suggest looking into Blind Guardian.

Dragonforce is talented but way to into the same harmony and the same guitar work. Talent is good but having a little substance and having each song sound different is a lot better. I seen them live twice and they do sound good live.

Katurine
Web Warrior for GrailKnights

Old 06-24-2007, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sentaku
Quote:
Originally Posted by stilettolover
I don't much like doom, black, death... anything where the singer sounds like they're just going "RAAAWWRRR" into the mic the entire time.

Agreed :o
Oh, yeah, me too. I just like my singing to sound like singing, not like a puking dog. XD

iMani
⊙ω⊙

Old 07-19-2007, 05:45 AM

Well, I'm big into power metal, symphonic and progressive metal as well.
As well as some of the old school traditional heavy metal stuff. Which is the stuff that got me into metal in the first place.

Some of my most favorite bands:
Symphony X
Dream Theater
Kamelot
Avantasia
DragonForce [primarily VotD]
Evergrey
Dream Evil
Metallica
Megadeth

Also looking for recs if anyone has any. Pretty much power metal and all that jazz, I guess based on the list I've given. :D

Immortal King
Dead Account Holder

Old 07-19-2007, 06:39 PM

Metal is the only kind of music i listen to.

Favorite genre of Metal is :Black,Power and speed metal.

Favorite bands so far:Children of Bodom,Kalmah,Dragonforce

Aurora
ʘ‿ʘ
Banned

Old 07-19-2007, 07:34 PM

I dont really listen to metal, I dont like music thats mostly screaming or the music is so loud you cant here the words. ^^;; hehe

DreamEmpress
*^_^*

Old 07-20-2007, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurora
I dont really listen to metal, I dont like music thats mostly screaming or the music is so loud you cant here the words. ^^;; hehe
Not all metal is loud. The idealogy of metal was to be hard and slightly heavy but never so loud. Some metal actually does not have "screaming" but opera based vocals. Orginal metal was all based on power cords, slight punk influence and opera based vocals. Though Black Sabbath was more heavy and dark in sound but they just started the trend. Take bands like Iron Maiden, which is more classic heavy metal or you can take a more modern band like Blind Guardian that takes influences from The Lord of the Rings for lyrics to more of a steping stone into more rock based stuff.

People really need to go beyond what think metal is.

mangacatgirl
\ (•◡•) /

Old 07-20-2007, 01:56 AM

I don't care for metal, myself. Yesterday I went to a bar where they had some live local metal bands playing and I was really annoyed for most of the night ^.^; It just doesn't sound like music to me... Sorry. Not that I have any problem with anyone else liking it, however >.>; My friend's fiance plays bass in a metal band, so...

DreamEmpress
*^_^*

Old 07-26-2007, 02:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangacatgirl
I don't care for metal, myself. Yesterday I went to a bar where they had some live local metal bands playing and I was really annoyed for most of the night ^.^; It just doesn't sound like music to me... Sorry. Not that I have any problem with anyone else liking it, however >.>; My friend's fiance plays bass in a metal band, so...
You have not heard many metal bands. Most people awsome it is loud and does not have musical qualities. In fact there is a few genres of metal with classical and opera influence. If you really look into bands like Symphony X and Blind Guardian you will find harmony and amazing guatar work. Symphony X is more on the lines on bands like Dream Theater or Rush and Blind Guardian is more Power Metal.

I suggest people look into metal and not listen to local bands version of metal. >< People assume metal sounds the same and it doesn't.

mangacatgirl
\ (•◡•) /

Old 08-03-2007, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamEmpress
Quote:
Originally Posted by mangacatgirl
You have not heard many metal bands. Most people awsome it is loud and does not have musical qualities. In fact there is a few genres of metal with classical and opera influence. If you really look into bands like Symphony X and Blind Guardian you will find harmony and amazing guatar work. Symphony X is more on the lines on bands like Dream Theater or Rush and Blind Guardian is more Power Metal.

I suggest people look into metal and not listen to local bands version of metal. >< People assume metal sounds the same and it doesn't.
I have heard a lot of variety... don't assume I haven't I've heard local bands and the big names as well. I even used to work in a store that played almost nothing but metal all day... Every day I went home with a headache. The reason I don't like the music isn't because I haven't heard the bands you like... It's because I don't like the music... Not every genre appeals to every person... Country music makes me nauseous... Literally... I have no clue why. My friend listens to metal all the time and I have to try to tune it out because it makes my head hurt.