Sizzla
Gangsta Biatch
Send a message via AIM to Sizzla

Old 10-03-2007, 05:45 PM

So my friend pointed me to this article:
http://www.time.com/time/arts/articl...666973,00.html

Radiohead is bypassing the record company, and releasing their new album right from it's website. It's also allowing you to choose the price you pay for the download of the album.

So, are you going to download the new Radiohead album?
Will you pay for it?
How do you feel about this concept in general?
Is this the downfall of the record company business as we know it?

Personally, I'd probably pay something for it, because I support what they're doing. Probably not $.99 per track, or whatever iTunes charges, but maybe $5-$7 for the entire album.

And normally, I don't pay for music.

Clavietika Tres Ojos
⊙ω⊙

Old 10-06-2007, 09:51 PM

I think it's a fantastic idea and I completely love them (even more) for it.
I do plan on downloading the album and I will probably pay $5-10 for it.

Seiki Nova
Wishing on Shooting Stars

Old 10-06-2007, 10:21 PM

Personally, I want to know why this didn't happen earlier. You hear about artists who are unhappy with their record company, who are constantly whining that they aren't getting enough money, and they don't do anything about it. I think that this is going to be very influential soon in music, and I think its definitely going to be something that people take notice in.

If this is what's going to happen even in a year's time, can you imagine what will happen to the record companies; to all the companies that legally distribute music and generate profit off of what they sell. iTunes will drastically fall apart without music sales, distribution centers will lose valuable profit from CD sales.

It will be an interesting ride.

I would be willing to pay $9 for a CD. I think that that is more than enough for them, and if the sales are going directly to the band, it is definitely more than enough.

However, I'm not a big Radiohead fan, so I won't be buying the CD.. I don't think I will anyways ^^.

Bebe Kiki
(-.-)zzZ
Send a message via MSN to Bebe Kiki

Old 10-07-2007, 06:37 AM

For me, I only buy albums when they reduce to $10 (Austalian). I usually walk into JB HiFi, walk over to the Punk/Emo or Alternative areas and just browse and pick up anything I recognise at that price. I've never bought music off the internet, and I don't think I ever will. The only way I'd pay for music is how I previously mentioned, I like original albums, it makes me feel good. xP

Mama Juru
Why you crying?
Assistant Administrator

Old 10-07-2007, 08:28 AM

Now, I've seen Radiohead live in concert in Seattle. It was awesome.

I typically don't pay for music either (Sizzla.. what you got on your iPod? LOL 8) ) but this is an interesting concept. I agree with Seiki in that why it hasn't happened sooner and this will probably become the norm before too long.

Sizzla
Gangsta Biatch

Old 10-07-2007, 07:31 PM

My ipod is full of illegality. XD But I do tend to support artists I like by buying tickets to their concerts. *nods* Now I wanna know what kind of music you like Juru. I like to make people playlists. :D ;)

I did see Radiohead live in St. Louis, but I was highly disappointed. I feel like for the show I got, the tickets were overpriced. That and I was on the lawn...

But yeah, Radiohead is probably one of my favorite bands ever. I've got a lot of memories from the Pablo Honey album. I think I had a life-changing revelation listening to that disc. Especially "Thinking About You." Great track.

ANYWAY, I got off on a tangent there, didn't I? XD

I have bought a few things off of iTunes, because I couldn't find them via torrent or Limewire, but I'd have to say that the majority of my music came from the big Napster boom when I was a freshman in college.

I don't know if I can see the rest of the music industry following suit, to be honest. Even though Radiohead is doing something truly groundbreaking here, I think it'll be difficult for other, smaller bands to fall in line with their thinking.

I know some rappers (particularly Chamillionaire) release music without cost, but they're typically mixtapes, and not the full, produced album.

Caroline
stay gold

Old 10-08-2007, 07:48 PM

• I paid £11.11. I wanted to pay a symbolic number, but also pay a reasonable amount. If I were rich, I would have paid £666 and been like... yeah, this is the apocalypse of the record company business. :P

I RARELY pay for music. Close to never. The last CD I bought was one I had been wanting for years, and I saw it at Amoeba for $5. Before that, it was Marilyn Manson's Eat Me, Drink Me, because Marilyn Manson is my favourite band and I HAVE to own all their CDs. I have 13.5 days worth of music in iTunes; only a tinytinytiny fraction of that is stuff I ripped from CDs. I have six Radiohead albums, none of which I paid for. >__> They are one of my favourite bands though.

Caroline
stay gold

Old 10-10-2007, 06:10 AM

• OH MY GOD, IN RAINBOWS IS SO GOOD.

Sizzla
Gangsta Biatch

Old 10-10-2007, 01:38 PM

I actually have bought all the Radiohead CDs because I support them as a band. XP

I'm SO excited to DL this! But it's moving so slowly!

I'm going to DL two copies: one for my work computer (which I won't pay for) and one for home (which I think I'll pay $5, or whatever that is in pounds).

GO WEBSITE GO! It's so pokey!

Clavietika Tres Ojos
⊙ω⊙

Old 10-11-2007, 01:11 AM

I've been trying to get it but the website keeps asking me for a username and password. Anyone know what this is about?

EDIT: Nevermind. I guess the website was just screwy. Finally got on and it downloaded in like five minutes. XD

Gynne
⊙ω⊙
Send a message via MSN to Gynne

Old 10-11-2007, 02:18 AM

I don't listen to Radiohead...but this idea is really awesome. n_n