maidenroseheart
Can I please come down? ~Simple ...

Old 11-10-2011, 01:13 AM

Once upon a time somewhere off the English coast there was an impressive estate. The estate was run by a very important person who was a person of means. This person had several awe inspiring collections of varying topics. There was in one such collection an antique of particular value. A miniature painting with the smallest of details. To appreciate this painting fully one needed a microscope. Enclosed in a jeweled frame, this large hand-sized painting was already of value. This select item is of particular importance to our story because one night, it vanished.

----------

Terri jumped from the upper deck and leaped into the air, grasping a rope and swinging across the main deck to the other side to land gracefully on her feet. Sword already pulled as the first opponent reached her, she whirled and double tapped his neck with the flat of her blade. The surprised fellow dropped his blade and dramatically "died." She moved on from there, working her way back across the deck. Finally there was none left but the captain. The captain was unarmed and stood there hands at his sides. She paused and scrutinized his posture. He raised his arm up fast. Halfway up a knive appeared in his hand. All the way up it flew out of his grasp and straight for her throat. With a thud it impacted and stuck, a sticky rubber substance holding it in place. She sighed. I'm dead.

The captain smirked and gracefully walked over and plucked the knife off her throat before turning and heading back to his cabin. She sighed again. These practices were good for them all, but she was competitive. Not being able to defeat everyone bothered her. Since the only person she couldn't somehow take out during these drills was the beloved captain, he was her opponent. She could best him at chess. He could take her out in wrestling. She beat him in memorization. He obviously won at these drills.

The ship lurched as a sudden swell met the ship. She automatically adjusted and headed to the upper deck. The coming storm helped whip this ship, the Atlantis, along at a faster pace than normal. Much needed considering that the crew had helped her in the thievery of a very important art piece. Know one could know its true value to her, but everyone appreciated the value it had from both its detailed art to the gems and jewels decorating the frame. With the ship quickly gaining distance from the scene of the crime, they would soon be safe being suspected. A pity the owner would first think of her when he discovered it missing. Of course, no one who knew her had scene her in 5 years since she took up pirating. So the likely hood of actually being found was slim.

Last edited by maidenroseheart; 11-10-2011 at 01:27 AM..

NightStalker
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Old 11-13-2011, 02:03 AM

At the young age of 23 Kyle was already a well seasoned spy. Even though very little people knew him or knew exactly what he looked like even though he had worked for a number of rich and famous people. Standing at 6 foot 5 inches and having the slim but muscular build of a fighter there wasn’t much that Kyle couldn’t do.

He combed his fingers through his short spiky dark brown hair and then crossed his arms as he listened to a somewhat snobby but very rich man. Kyle had never seen the man before and had no idea what he did to earn the thousands that he lived on he only knew that the man had a small but very important painting stolen and wanted it back. The only lead Kyle had to go on was that the man thought he knew the woman who stole it.
After agreeing to help the man by retrieving the stolen painting Kyle left what he considered to be a ridiculous sized mansion and started to find out whatever he could about the woman in question.

He quickly discovered that she was a pirate and found out what direction her ship was headed. After getting a change of clothes, to help him look the part, Kyle bought a small boat and quickly went in the direction the pirate ship was said to have gone. Of course Kyle knew his small boat didn’t stand a chance in actually catching up with a large pirate ship but he hoped he could catch up with them before they left their next port destination.

OOC: Sorry it took so long I guess I got distracted by the halloween event

maidenroseheart

Old 11-13-2011, 04:15 AM

Terri woke up to the call of "land ho." Sleepily she pulled herself out of bed and made her way out into the hall. Across the hall was a room like hers. It was the captain's room and was a bit bigger too. She turned and headed to the ladder where she could climb up to the deck. It was almost dawn and the seas were pretty calm at the moment, so moving about was a breeze compared to the night before when the storm had hit.

She went up to the upper deck and stood by the captain. He smiled at her Morning. We are almost to Plymouth. A good way from Stratton and even a different county, though barely. We will come into port sometime later this morning. The crew is tired from our flee so we will probably stay for a few days. I suggest that whatever research you were wanting to do, you do it in town without the painting. Keep that thing hidden so it isn't accidently discovered. Most could not have made the trip we made in one night, so we have an alibi for our whereabouts. The men know their cover story of being further out at sea on the south side of England instead of on the west side.

Terri knodded, thankful he had thought of all this. Due to the recent activity started on her part, the men were warned from drinking. If they behaved, they would party and party hard the last night in port aboard the ship. For now though, it was a chance to restock and mend the ship. There were seams to fix, barnacles to scrape off, worms and their holes to eradicate, and sails to mend. They had plenty to do as it is. With your permission, I would like to see about getting a hold of more dried fruit, rice, flour, and seasonings. If we end up having an unexpectedly long trip in the near future, it would be wise to ensure the men get their nutrition. Unlike most ships in those days, especially most privateers, this crew was spoiled with proper food as much as possible, the use of silverware including the coveted fork, and good shift rotation. Unlike other ships, they also fumigated the ship at port to ensure bugs and rodents didn't have a chance to come aboard or live if they did. It was a small wonder that when there was a party on board in port, that the crew was able to get their entertainment to come to them.

NightStalker
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Old 11-16-2011, 10:42 PM

With the sun now set Kyle was still at least twelve hours behind his target. The wind was dieing down quickly and he knew it was only a matter of minutes before he was dead in the water. Thankfully he had chosen a boat with a set of ores, which he was making good use of. But with more and more of the momentum coming from him he knew he wasn't going to make good time. He only hoped that the wind would pick up as the cool night air cooled the sun warmed water down and would push him further.

This early in the game he knew if he wasn't quick he would lose his target and would have to race to catch up if the ship moved on before he managed to intercept it. He already had a fair plan thought through in his head on how he would try to work his way onto the ship. After that he would have to find the thief, steal back the price and disappear before he was found out. Of course the details might change along the way depending on how clever the thief was.

OOC: Sorry it took so long I've been having trouble with my computer. I'm hoping its all fixed now.

maidenroseheart

Old 11-17-2011, 03:11 AM

Terri sighed as she pushed another map aside and reached for the open book she had used for a reference. She thought she had this figured out. Damn the captain as his ideas. If she had the painting with her, she could double check under a microscope some of the details. She had a good memory and was unsettled that this wasn't going faster. It was almost as if something was backwards... backwards? Wait! She pulled the map back over and quickly redid the calculations. Sure enough, the right clues were found going in the opposite direction as well. She wasn't supposed to be looking south towards Spain. She was supposed to be looking north to Scotland. Giggling happily inside, she now knew she had cracked part of a code she didn't know about. Sometimes, the details meant to do the opposite.

However, a sobering thought crossed her mind. That meant sailing from the south side of England west and up, back the way they had come last night. They could go the longer way by sailing east, up, and around. It would be safer. She was impatient though. This painting had belonged to her mother, and the night she died was the night it disappeared. Seeing it five years ago at a party had shocked her beyond belief. No one was alive but her that knew the real value of that painting, or so she thought. However, her uncle who had hosted the party might. No one who worked for him or was associated with him could be trusted. He was charming, but dangerous. She sighed and went to replace the books and maps back on teh library's shelves. No point in letting someone figure what she had been looking at.

NightStalker
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Old 11-19-2011, 02:39 AM

ooc: nice avatar look. where did you get the house in the background?

ic: The sky was just starting to lighten as the sun started it slow climb to brake the horizon line. Kyle had tucked himself down against the floor of the small boat he took and let himself drift off. Something woke him now, maybe the boat swayed a little to much or maybe the call of a sea birds cry alerted him. Either way he sat up and rubbed the sleep from his eyes as he moved to sit on one of the small benches that ran width wise across the boat. He smiled to himself as he spotted the large ship that was described to him from his client. Kyle had caught with his target.

He quickly grabbed the ores and started to push the boat faster. He hopped to make it to land before the ship had a chance to raise anchor and sail away again.

Two hours had past and Kyle finally reached the docks. His arms were burning from his effort and he wanted nothing more then to sit and rest for the next couple of hours. But he pushed himself to continue. Stopping while this close he might as well find another line of work.

Kyle gathers what little things he brought with him and climbs out of his boat and onto the dock. He slowly made his way through the fishermen who populated the docks and headed over towards where the target ship was anchored. He could only hope that they were taking on new sailors or he would have to find some other way aboard the ship.

maidenroseheart

Old 11-19-2011, 05:55 AM

ooc: I don't remember. I think it was a part of a monthly item you buy... had sunflowers with it.

ic: Terri rested in her cabin with a gloomy look on her face. The captain shook his head and held his ground. They would not take the shorter route. She sighed. After talking in town to some men from Scotland and told them she had a group of friends who claimed to be from Scotland. She wanted to double check on them and the Scottish men had believed her. She learned from them that the area on the map she was wanting to go was an estate with two small villages. The family name of the estate was from her mother's side. In her mother's will, everything had passed down to her. However if the members of the estate didn't know about her and the English government didn't know about the estate, then her uncle could hide the truth from her and get profit from it. Feeling irritated at him, she wanted to get there as quickly as possible. She had the documents to prove her lineage. She also knew that once at the manor, she could use the painting to learn of the family chamber where all the important documents were stored. Men ruled the family as was tradition, but in her family the family's safety legally and economically was left in a matron's hands. Her uncle would not know the whereabouts of this room. Likely, since he had spent so much time abroad and away from home, he didn't even know it existed.

The captain, satisfied Terri wouldn't press the issue anymore, left the cabin and headed up on deck. He cared about her and his crew. They had all been together a long time. As he reached topside, he heard a commotion. One of his men motioned him over where they could look over the railing at the base of the gangplank. It appeared someone wanted work. Captain sighed and thought to himself, "We are leaving early, wouldn't hurt to bring the fool on board. Hope he can work. Turning to the man next to him, he asked for the fellow to be brought on board for a brief interview. Might as well get it over with so they could get out of town. And fast.

NightStalker
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Old 11-20-2011, 06:31 PM

He smiled briefly to himself as the Captain of the ship told one of his men to give him permission to come aboard. Kyle quickly made his way up the gangplank and found the crew member who waved him up. "I'm a good hard worker. I'll break my back to do whatever job you see fit." Kyle said to the man trying to look as hungry as he could manage. He waited for the man to either question him or put him to work.

ooc: ok thanks

maidenroseheart

Old 11-20-2011, 09:05 PM

The man shrugged, "The captain will probably have a few questions for you. Follow us to the upper deck." With that both the sailor and the captain turned and headed up to the upper deck. It would give them some privacy away from the other workers. Also, the captain wanted the rules of his ship explained clearly. This fellow looked decent, but you never could tell.

NightStalker
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Old 11-20-2011, 11:42 PM

Kyle nodded and followed the two up to the upper deck. "I will try to answer any questions you have for me Captain." he said once they were alone on the upper deck. He focused intently on the Captain and his crewmen and waiting for the interview to start.

maidenroseheart

Old 11-21-2011, 01:10 AM

The captain looked the man up and down. Alright. Here is what I need to know. The captain looked him up and down, then began. Time to test the man's memory and ability to answer questions quickly. If he was lying, then he wouldn't be able to keep up easily... hopefully.

What is your name?
What was your last job?
Why are you no longer at your last job?
What were you doing a week ago?
What were you doing last night?
How did you find this ship?
What do you do during your free time in port?
Who and where are your parents?
What kind of schooling do you have?
What is your view on women?
What is your view on drinking?
Have you worked on a ship before?
Have you read and write?
What was my first question?

The captain stood there a moment, inside smirking. Few passed this test. Few were more than mindless idiots bumming around for work to get to the next bar. And you will address me as Captain... just so we are clear. No one knows me by any other name. Except the girl, he thought. He was her cousin, but they didn't talk about it or act like it. It was he who had spirited her away after her mother's death. Family politics was not something she should have had to endure at that point in her life.

NightStalker
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Old 11-22-2011, 11:25 PM

He nods at the Captains list of questions.

My name is Kyle.
My last job was working as a fisherman for a small town.
My home was burned down in an accident I thought it was time to move on.
A week ago I was on the road here to the docks.
Last night I was just coming into the harbor.
The man who runs the pub told me that there might be a fishing ship willing to take one more.
I would help restock the ship with goods at ports.
My father was a simple fisherman, my mother was a kindhearted home making. They both left this world years ago.
My mother made me finish out high school and then I went into the 'family' business, fishing.
I suppose a woman can do anything she puts her mind to.
I drink now and then but nothing heavy.
I've worked on a boat for as long as I can remember.
Yes I can read and write.
You asked me what my names was.

He thought for a minute and then nodded after mentally checking off each of the questions he was asked. He looks at the Captain and waited to see how well he had done.

maidenroseheart

Old 11-23-2011, 12:58 AM

The Captain was pleased and allowed it to show on his face. You sound like you will do. Help bring the rest of those crates there on the dock on up. Be gentle, some of them have fruit. I believe in keeping my men healthy. They go down in the hold. Make sure each row is laced in tight so they don't move around. Your job on this ship will be helping with fishing and any mending of nets and sails. All skills a fisherman such as yourself can handle. We happen to have a woman on board. I expect you to treat her with respect and courtesy. She is my cousin and ill will befall the man who gives her even an uneasy feeling. Don't drink at all unless I give the whole crew a night off. That includes in port. I'm glad you can read and write, after we set sail you will be signing a contract. Now get to work and show me what your made of. With that the Captain turned and headed down to the main deck to talk to some of the other men.

NightStalker
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Old 11-24-2011, 04:24 AM

He nodded at the Captains orders and waited for him to leave before he jumped into help the other crewmen who were already hard at work loading huge crates on board and then stowing them away below deck.

With Kyles background he was kind of a jack of all trades and it only took him a few minutes to find a rhythm and join in on the task. With in about an hour all of the crates where loaded on board and Kyle went below deck to help secure the crates into their holding rooms.

maidenroseheart

Old 11-24-2011, 06:20 AM

Terri stretched and finished putting her maps away in her room. Locking it and putting her key around her neck, she headed up to the deck. There she enjoyed the sun for a moment, then leaned back and waited for the Captain to notice her. When he did, he knodded and walked over. Captain, since this is our last night, do you want me to run into town and get what is needed for a party tonight. The men were promised one. Better me than them. I won't get sidetracked. She leaned back and let him think it through.

Captain knodded. It did make sense. As much as he wanted to get out of here, it would be for the best. "Go ahead. Stick with finding prostitutes with a little class. I don't want thieves on board. Also arranged for the bear to be brought around 5:30pm. This is a supper deal. At 8:30pm, we set sail." With that he strolled down to help tie up the last of the crates and barrels.

NightStalker
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Old 11-24-2011, 09:50 PM

As the last few crates where heaved into place and being securely tied down Kyle noticed that the Captain made an appearance. "What do we do know?" he asked one of the crew making sure the Captain was close enough to hear. Kyle had hoped that his ability to quickly jump into step with the rest of the crews would somehow earn him favor with the Captain. And that the Captain would take this time to address him in front of the rest of the crew, increasing his standing among the crew. He had to gain all of their trust if he was going to worm his way into the crew.

ooc: :) Happy Thanksgiving!

maidenroseheart

Old 11-25-2011, 09:56 AM

The Captain stood there for a minute surveying the work that was done. Everything had been done to his high expectations. The new guy wasn't a slouch either. He had worked hard and well. Bonus points for not picking any fights or pulling airs. Alright men, listen up. I promised before we took off again that you would get a party on board. And I will follow through with that. Change in plans though. We are going to be heading north and in order to make the best time, we are pulling anchor tonight. So supper is the party. Ladies will be coming to visit. Keep your activities with them below deck if your plan on what I think you are planning. I don't want to see it. There will be beer and beef. It won't last long though. We set sail at 8:30pm. If they are still on, then they fly overboard. So be prompt. Feeling he had gotten his sentiments out, he looked them over. They had brightened at the news of some fun. He was tough, but not cruel. So he had their respect and loyalty. Also they had been with him for a very long time and would die for him. It wasn't a circle that could be broken. Except that now he had a new link. Turning to the newest member he announced, Joining us is Kyle. Give everyone a wave boy. He is a fisherman and will be helping keep fresh meat supplied as well as mending. He passed my question bombardment so he isn't a trifle to be messed with. I expect you all to maintain your dignity and act like the men you are. No pranks. In turn, make sure he understands how the WHOLE crew is to be treated in return... including the one not present. Thank you men. Feeling he had given an impressive speech, he accepted their clapping and good natured ribbing before heading back topside. He wanted to double check some maps to make sure he knew the winds and currents that he would be sailing through.

NightStalker
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Old 11-26-2011, 02:27 AM

Kyle waved nervously at the rest of the crew, he hadn't expected to be put on the spot like this. Once the Captain had finally left he watched as the crew quickly went their own way to get ready for the Captains planed celebration.

While it seemed like everyone was to busy getting ready for later that night Kyle wondered around below deck making a mental map of how to get around. Once he thought had seen everything there was to see he made his way above deck and started to wonder around. He didn't see the Captain or the girl he had talked about. He couldn't help wondering about the girl and if she was the one his client had suspected was the thief, and his target.

maidenroseheart

Old 11-26-2011, 06:20 AM

Terri returned to the ship with a gaggle of prostitutes of high esteem and a cart load of food and beer. She let the crew have at it. She sighed and went to her room. She was a bit tired. She had been the one it seemed who had done all the running around town. They were a bit noisy and loud with their supper, so she went to the record player she had and put on some music. Classical music to calm the nerves, create a peaceful atmosphere, and allow her to not have to deal with her crewmates unruliness. Her room was for the most part bare. There was a wardrobe bolted to the floor and wall with her clothes. Both privateer and lady fashions. There was a desk and chair with her writing supplies, drawing and painting supplies, and her books. Above it was a window. Double pain glass. Her bed was a soft feather bed with blue quilts and sheets. She had two nice fluffy pillows and a teddy bear. The trunk at the foot of her bed held all her other possessions. Stuff her cousin had helped her pack the night they learned of her mother's death. Her cousin, the Captain, had whisked her away saying the circumstances of her mother's death were not sitting well with him. He didn't trust her safety to her now legal guardian, her uncle. The one whom she stole the painting from. She knelt by the trunk and ran her fingers over the sturdy wood. Inside were some of her personal heirlooms, jewelry, shoes, and the like that she really couldn't use at sea but had been unable to part with. Sighing, she rose and settled on the bed with a book in hand.

Upstairs the party was in full swing. There was dancing, drinking contests, music, gambling, and a lot of food. Not everyone was there. Some of the men had taken their companions down to the crews quarters to spend time with. The Captain stayed on the upper deck, eating some chicken but keeping a sober frame of mind. Someone had to stay sane around here.

----------

ooc: Love your avi outfit

NightStalker
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Old 11-27-2011, 12:13 AM

ooc: :D thanks

ic: Kyle watched as the entire crew filled themselves on food, beer and women. He helped himself to food but chose water for his drink. He wouldn't dare let any of the beer pass his lips while he was on the job or while he was in mixed company like this. No, he left that kind of relaxation for while he was alone and knew he wouldn't be in danger of saying or doing something that would compromise his end goal.

With his plate full he made his way through the crowded deck and found a nice quiet spot on the bow of the ship. He ate in peace as he watched the rest of the crew stuff their faces and carry on with the women. As he sat there he wondered if the thief had already fenced the painting or if that was next on their list of things to do.

maidenroseheart

Old 11-27-2011, 01:54 AM

By 8:30 sharp, the last of the women had been sent ashore and the ship was moving away from the docks. Most of the men were given the night off. Only a skeleton crew was kept to keep watch. The Captain guided the ship out of port and towards the east. Might was well take the long way around. They wouldn't get far as it was night, so the wind had died down. However any progress was good in his eyes. He wondered about his cousin. She had stayed in her locked room all night. Only now did she show herself. She had just climbed on deck in a privateer outfit, and was heading up to the birds nest. She wasn't fond of heights, but she was the only experienced sailor on board who didn't drink besides himself. The newbie hadn't had beer either, but he didn't have experience that he knew of in climbing rigging and keeping a look out. So the Captain figured she might as well have the job.

NightStalker
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Old 12-07-2011, 04:39 AM

Finishing his food Kyle made himself comfortable and watched the crew have their way with the women. When the party came to an end he started to move and head do to his given room. But stopped as the ship started to move and the woman that the Captain had mentioned appeared from below deck.

Kyle watched as a small and seemingly sober skeleton crew took over the positions on deck while the rest of the crew went below deck for the night. He watched as the women made her way up to the crows nest. From the view he got of her he was sure that she was his target.

He wondered how much leeway he was given as a new member of the crew as he made his way up to the Captain. "I know I'm not as seasoned as the rest of your crew but I would be willing to help if you wish to put me to work Captain." He says as he comes to stand next to the Captain.

ooc: sorry for the wait Ive been sick

maidenroseheart

Old 12-07-2011, 07:16 AM

ooc: not a problem... its that time of year

ic:

The Captain knodded. "Sure thing. If you see something that needs done, go ahead and take the initiative. Do you want to do something your familiar with? You could start setting out lines for fishing or do some mending. Or would you like to learn something new? It is up to you."

NightStalker
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Old 12-09-2011, 02:26 AM

"I'm ready and willing to fill any job that needs doing Captain." He watched the Captain intently waiting for the mans orders. "If you would like I could start with the fishing nets and mending and then move onto something else when you need more hands." he says looking around at the small crew that's already filling all of the major jobs that need to be done.

maidenroseheart

Old 12-09-2011, 02:42 AM

"You have a good head on your shoulders there son," said the Captain appreciatively. "There are two piles of nets down in the hold. Clean folded nets and ragged pile of nets. Pick up a ragged one and bring it on deck where there is some fresh air. Find a place to be comfortable and go ahead and start mending. He turned and looked up at the crows nest where his cousin was resting. He figured she might as well meet the new guy. He could get her opinion of him then later. The lady up there, she might be trying to keep watch but she gets bored easily. Here, he pulled a small novel from his pocket that he had been saving to get to her. I meant to give this to her earlier. You can save me the trouble. Before you get the fishing net would be nice. Don't want my book smelling like fish if it can be helped. The Captain handed it to Kyle. Good practice going up and down ropes too. Mind you don't fall. The ship isn't exactly steady. With waves rocking us back and forth, no telling where you might land.