Melody
(づ ̄ ³ ̄) ...

Penpal
Send a message via AIM to Melody Send a message via MSN to Melody

Old 12-17-2011, 10:01 PM

Mellies cooking competition is back with the Christmas/Hannukah/Kwanza/Yule/Insert-winter-holiday themed thread!!

Please read all posts.
rules
Categories + submission form
prizes
submissions

Last edited by Melody; 12-22-2011 at 01:24 AM..

Melody
(づ ̄ ³ ̄) ...

Penpal

Old 12-18-2011, 06:11 PM

Rules

Your username must be in the picture you submit
NO photoshoped on names (or equivilant)
Must be homemade items. (no store bought)
Be creative!

This contest will run from start to finish of the event.
START: NOW! (12/23/2011)
END:
when the event ends. :P

Your entries must be received before the event closes.

FAQ:
You may enter more than one entry.
You may enter more than one entry per category
You may ONLY WIN once per category
What if my entry doesn't look festive? : You may still enter your entry, however festive and themed entries are more likely to win than non-festive entries.

Last edited by Melody; 12-24-2011 at 09:36 PM..

Melody
(づ ̄ ³ ̄) ...

Penpal

Old 12-18-2011, 06:14 PM

Categories/Submission Form

Sweets
desserts

Savory selections
main course etc

Drinks
er..drinks.

Bento
bento. haha.

[QUOTE][color=Green][size=3]Mellie Mellie I made a...[/size]
[SIZE=2]Category:
Item pic:
Description:[/SIZE][/color][/QUOTE]

Quote:
Mellie Mellie I made a...
Category:
Item pic:
Description:

Last edited by Melody; 12-24-2011 at 01:02 AM..

Melody
(づ ̄ ³ ̄) ...

Penpal

Old 12-18-2011, 06:14 PM

Prizes

The top 3 will each earn a medal.

Other than that...prizes will be a surprise. ;)

Last edited by Melody; 12-18-2011 at 08:27 PM..

Melody
(づ ̄ ³ ̄) ...

Penpal

Old 12-18-2011, 06:15 PM

Submissions

SweetX

Quote:
Category: Sweet
Item pic:
Description: Butter cookies.
Quote:
Category: Sweet!
Item pic:
Description: It's a sort of cake, chocolate biscuity base, with strawberries, and then melted chocolate on top!
Quote:
Category:Santa Sweets
Item pic:
Description: Peppermint surge cookies decorated like Santa and Mrs Claus
Quote:
Mellie Mellie I made ...cupcakes and cakepops
Category: sweet
Item pic:

Quote:
Category: Sweets
Item pic: [1] (the last cookie + my name) [2] (a pan of them)
Description: Rudolph cookies! Made with slice and bake peanut butter cookies with small pretzels for the antlers, chocolate chips for the eyes, and a red hot for the nose.
Quote:
Item pic:
Description: I baked these cookies as gifts and this is the last batch going to a family gathering tomorrow. ^_^; Some of them were in Holiday Tins and holiday take out boxes. If you need extra pictures, just let me know.
[QUOTE]Mellie Mellie I made a...
Item pic:
Description: These are gingerbread Christmas tree biscuits decorated with icing, glittery icing and stars!

Quote:
Item pic:
Description: A Christmas cake!
It's a sponge cake with whipped cream (whipping cream and sugar, not the whipped cream from a tub) topping and strawberries on top. The middle's got some cream and sliced strawberries also. The cake looked funny, but it tasted great!
Process pictures
Quote:
Item pic:
Description: Peanut Butter Blossoms -- A chocolate kiss nestled in the center of a peanut butter cookie.
Quote:
Item pic:
Description: This is Yan Poop. Yan wanted to open his present early. I told him no of coarse. he was mad at me and well, this is what I found in my good dress shoes. He tried to blame it on Yumeh. I KNEW he was being to quiet! What? ok ok, so it's not Yan poop. It's Rumballs without the sprinkles. I dusted some to make them look like snowballs. XD
Quote:
Item pic:
Description: Santas Reindeer! Or a bunch of rudolph look-a-likes lol. Choc Orange muffins with buttons and chocolate chips for eyes, jaffas for noses, candy canes for antlers and glitter gel pen for mouths (the food kind of course). Very delicious heated up with ice cream on the side .
Quote:

Item pic:

Description: This is one of the cinnamon buns I made for breakfast on Christmas morning. I call them "Labor of Love Buns" cause they take so long to make! I pretended they were snowy mountains and decorated them with tiny trees and snowmen. I used pens to color in the snowman's features and I even used tweezers to attach little red sprinkles dipped in frosting to the trees. Between decorations and issues with the cold and letting the dough rise, no wonder this endeavor took me over four hours >_>

Here's the recipe, though I made a nice cream cheese frosting instead of the one included in the recipe.
Quote:
Item pic:
Description: fudge done rocky road style!
Quote:
Item pic:
Description: Homemade strawberry-rhubarb pie! (The center is supposed to look like a snowflake.) Later served with whipped topping and devoured by my family during our Christmas dinner.
Quote:
Item pic: xX1Xx and xX2Xx
Description: peppermint bark, with real candy canes!
Quote:
Item pic:
Description:chocolate/caramel pretzel sandwiches
Quote:
Item pic:
Description: I got my fiance an Ice Cream maker for Christmas and together we made Reese's Cup Vanilla Icecream!!
Quote:
Item pic:
Description: I made a second batch of truffles just for the picture. This time, I told them to wait until after I get my picture then they could eat them up!

Item pic:
Description: Sugar Cookies! I made them at my friend's house and we decorated them together. We had about 40+ cookies so she kept a third, another to my other friend and the last third for me. I do have a picture of them all but there's no username in it. :')
Sorry for the lack of cookies, my family ate a bunch of them before I could get my camera to it (I'm also pretty guilty of this...

Quote:
Item pic:
Process : [x] [x]
Description: Creamy chocolate coffee gelato with chocolate cups/decorations. (Some cups broke-- eeks!) Unfortunately made without an ice cream maker, but everything was whipped and frozen with much love!
Quote:
Category:Sweet
Item pic:
Description:My multi-colored (and shaped) Spritz cookies. Traditional Almond flavor (well traditional for Swedish folk). Green trees with sprinkles, red Poinsettias w/red sprinkles and red hots or chocolate chips in the center. And a few red/green "x" patterned ones with chocolate chips/walnuts/red hots, a red/green poinsettia and one multi heart in the middle that has walnuts and red hots on it.
Quote:
Item pic:
Description: Gingerbread House
Quote:
Item pic:
Description: I made Candy Cane Cookies. Their peppermint flavored and colored and twisted together to look like candy canes, I also sprinkled peppermint sugar over the top.
Quote:
Item pic:
Description:
Deep fat fried Brownies! OOHHH sooo amazing! They ended up being warm and soft and melty...
Quote:
Item pic:
Description: Christmas Cake. I used a yellow cake recipe and made half of the batter green and the other half red before baking. Once it was finished and cooled I iced it with vanilla icing and decorated it with red, gold and green sprinkles.
Quote:
Mellie Mellie I made a... Hazelnut Cheescake
Category:Sweet
Item pic:
Description: Hazelnut Cheesecake says it all, but it has a secret ingredient of hazelnut liqueur ^_^ I forgot my name in the first image and when I remembered there was only one slice left.

SavoryX

Quote:
Category: Savory selections
Item pic: http://i43.tinypic.com/20j5k3l.jpg
Description:
I realy don't have idea how to name it in english. Dictionary says that they are dumplings but actually they are not. In polish we call them pierogi and all my family members loves to eat them. It takes lot of time to make it last year I made about 1,7k piecies, this year a bit less. There is lot of kind stuffing for pierogi, I think that it can be made from everything xD vegetables, friust, meat, cheese ect
Quote:
Category: Savory!
Item pic:
Description: Red-glazed drunken chicken served on a bed of asparagus--red and green for Christmas!
Quote:
Category: Savory
Item pic:
Description: A roasted turkey filled with a stuffing made with sausage and olives.
Quote:
Item pic:
Description: This is called a 'Pernil.' (Say it with a Spanish accent like you are Antonio Bandaras! Roll the 'r'.) Anyway, this is basically a roast pork shoulder, but made Puerto Rican style. It has a crispy outside and a tender inside, if you do it correctly. I'm not going to lie, my mom helped but basically this beast was my job. She gave me the recipe and watched over me because I usually make this is the slowcooker, but the oven. Obviously I'm proud as all hell and it tasted delicious. It is usually served with rice. I wish I could send you some! I wish I could have made it look more festive but people wanted to eat... and so did I. And it's kinda greasy so I didn't want to stick anything in there and just make it look gross. <3

Quote:
Category: Savory Selection
Item pic:
Description: It's Sopa Verde, sort of like, mac and cheese? XD Not sure how to explain it considering it's a family recipe. Uh, there's ham and some meat, and then some potato salad. <3 The little figures are chocolate. :3
Quote:
Item pic:
Description: Christmas Dinner! A ham with Reese's Ham Glaze decorated with Pineapple slices, mashed potatoes (hand mashed and whipped), diced potatoes and carrots soaked in ham juice and ham glaze (because they were cooked with the ham), and stuffing (which isn't overly visible due to the way the pic had to be taken)
Quote:
Item pic:
Description: green chili pork tamale.
Quote:
Item pic:
Description: Lasagna, well my attempt at it, really chessey! But also really meaty and tasty
I love it..... leftover for at least three days =D
Quote:
Item pic:
Description: Homemade stuffing balls.
Quote:
Item pic:
Description: Sweet Potato Casserole.
Quote:
Item pic:
Description: Cheesy potatoes at least that's what I'm going to call them since I forgot the actual name of them. They are really good. You fry the potatoes until they start to brown then you put them into a pan or dish and bake them in the oven.
Quote:
Item pic:
Description: another BLT on wheat with santa's beard of lettuce, bacon eyes, and a tomato hat with a dollop of mayonnaise for the pompom!
Quote:
Item pic:
Description: a wreath BLT on wheat bread, complete with a bacon bow!
Quote:
Category: Savory Selections
Item pic:
Description: Something light and crunchy is nice the week after all those heavy Turkey dinners. I kept it in the Christmas theme by sticking to Christmas colours. The red fish eggs look like tiny Christmas decorations to me. Shiny round red. I put them on a Triskit with some lettuce. Simple yet satisfying. . .plus kinda fancy because it's not something you'd have everyday.
[QUOTE]Mellie Mellie I made a...
Category: Savory dish
Item pic:
Description: My Christmas dinner! I've included some extra photos so you can establish that it's me. I had chicken, pork, roasted veggies, yorkshire puddings, potatoes, apple sauce, yummy sparkling juice ... that's all I can think of![QUOTE]

Quote:
Category: Savory Selection
Item pic:
Description: Potato & Corn Chowder!
Quote:
Item pic:
Description: Bacon Wrapped Shrimp Skewers, Baked Potato with cheese, bacon, sour cream and corn
Quote:
Item pic:
Description:
Fryfest 2011 foodstuffs! Deep fat fried:
Cheese sandwich
Avocado
Shrimp
Lumpia
Onion Rings
Mini Smokey Hot dogs
Chicken wing

DrinksX

Quote:
Category: Drink
Item pic:
Description: This was something I made really randomly with stuff I had on hand. It's Cranberry Juice, Sprite and rum. I garnished it with a sugar rim and a cherry threw the straw to represent Rudolph. For a kid friendly version I suggest just the juice cherry and sugar rim. Since they'll be licking the sugar anyway they won't need the extra sweetness of the sprite.
Quote:
Category: drinks
Item pic:

Description:a chocolate and peppermint milkshake, complete with peppermint bark (which i made before) and andes candies sprinkled on top.... and a candy cane garnish!
Quote:
Item pic: Mmm, delicious hot chocolate!
Description: Homemade hot chocolate mix! Made with instant nonfat milk, Nestle's Quik, dry coffee creamer, and powdered sugar! Super delicious and creamy, especially if you make it with hot milk instead of hot water. And sometimes I like to add a little bit of cinnamon to mine.
Quote:
Item pic: Whiskey Sours
Description: Homemade whiskey sours using the special recipe from my dad's side of the family. We always have these at Thanksgiving and Christmas and they are so delicious and always a big hit; they're probably one of my favorite cocktails. We make them with lemonade concentrate, orange juice, water, bourbon, maraschino cherries, and slices of orange.
Quote:
Category: Drinks
Item pic:
With marshmellows - Image - TinyPic - Free Image Hosting, Photo Sharing & Video Hosting
Description: Peppermint hot chocolate made with milk and Nesquik chocolate. To add a peppermint flavor I added an Andy's mint and a peppermint stick.
Quote:
Mellie Mellie I made a... Eggnog
Item pic:
Description: Homemade eggnog using hazelnut liqueur.

BentoX

Quote:

Category: Bento

Item pic:

Description: Tempura and yakisoba bento My grandmother requested shrimp tempura for Christmas dinner and we had yakisoba for Boxing Day lunch, so here is the Holiday leftover bento. There's tempura fried shrimp, broccoli, sweet potatoes and eggplant with tempura dipping sauce in a little fish and pig. The yakisoba contains shrimp, broccoli, mushrooms, and cabbage.
Quote:
Item pic:
Description:My bento, aka tonight's dinner, contains hotdog octopus' on a bed of steamed veggies, apple bunnies with some almonds and for dessert a couple of cookies.
Quote:
Category: bento
Item pic:

Description: this is basically a poor man's holiday bento i am in dire need of a grocery shopping trip... anyways, here are some turkey and cheese rolls on lettuce... christmas star cantelope, grapes, honey dew melon and blueberries... sticky rice with a goldfish wreath and ketchup bows
Quote:
Item pic:
Description: My try at a Christmas bento! In the larger compartment, there is a gingerbread man peanut butter and jelly sandwich with fruit leather accessories, a boiled egg santa (hat is made of paper), and some club crackers with salmon on a bed of spinach. In the smaller compartment, I stripped a cutie and made a little tree with the pieces and some fruit leather (star is also paper), and in the cupcake liner there is a few pieces of homemade peppermint bark with a bow of fruit leather.

Last edited by Linnea; 10-29-2012 at 02:15 AM..

Bearzy
dusting off the cobwebs

Penpal

Old 12-23-2011, 10:25 PM

Awesome! I'm actually baking right now, so once it's finished, I'll enter! :)

Maria-Minamino
Musician

Old 12-23-2011, 10:26 PM

Can we enter multiple entries? Because I've already made cupcakes, pie, and carrot cake XD

Bearzy
dusting off the cobwebs

Penpal

Old 12-23-2011, 10:31 PM

We could at the last event, I think they just have to be for different Categories?

Chikuma
(・・^...

Old 12-23-2011, 10:37 PM

I really want to do this. I hope I have the time.

Melody
(づ ̄ ³ ̄) ...

Penpal

Old 12-23-2011, 10:45 PM

You can enter more than once, you can even enter the same category more than once! But you can only win once per category. :3

TheEmpressofEvil
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Old 12-23-2011, 10:46 PM

Ooo entrees. I wish tamales were prettier lol

Melody
(づ ̄ ³ ̄) ...

Penpal

Old 12-23-2011, 10:47 PM

Make em pretty? lol. Throw on a little pico de gallo for color on the top (and tasty flavor!) and maybe a bit of sour cream... ooooh I wish we had tamales up here!

Maria-Minamino
Musician

Old 12-23-2011, 10:48 PM

@Mel - thank you! I'm excited - I have so many desserts made already lolol

TheEmpressofEvil
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Old 12-23-2011, 10:49 PM

we're going to have some left over chili for them but no serving them till christmas eve! tis tradition. :P so I'll probably take a picture of them then.

Melody
(づ ̄ ³ ̄) ...

Penpal

Old 12-23-2011, 10:51 PM

The contest goes until well after new years so you guys have plenty of time. xD

Maria: :drool: I can't wait to see!

Roachi
ϟ△⃒⃘

Penpal

Old 12-24-2011, 12:19 AM

Hey Melly :)
Yay so glad you have this thread again. ^^ I should have time for this, this time. :)
How are you??

Q U E E N
spooky scary skeletons
Send a message via AIM to Q U E E N

Old 12-24-2011, 12:20 AM

I wish I could actually cook, then I'd join. >:U

scholar
yes, really

Old 12-24-2011, 12:42 AM

Wait, so we have to make something that incorporates our username? :( I'm back in Japan with minimal cooking facilities, but I made a lovely mince pie for my family last Sunday.

TheEmpressofEvil
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Old 12-24-2011, 12:43 AM

just your username somewhere in the picture you take of it :)

Popcorn Gun
(。⌒∇⌒)&...

Penpal

Old 12-24-2011, 12:49 AM

I'm so glad I didn't start baking yet.
Just have to remember to keep all of this in mind when I do.
:' 3

TheEmpressofEvil
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Old 12-24-2011, 12:51 AM

Item pic:
Description: Butter cookies.

Melody
(づ ̄ ³ ̄) ...

Penpal

Old 12-24-2011, 01:05 AM

scholar: no no, you don't need to incorporate the username into the food item, you just need to throw a scrap of paper into the picture with your username on it. :3
Like Empress did right above this post. :3

Roachi- I'm doing great! I've got soooo much more time this event. It's awesome! And I'm actually at home for all of it so I get to "participate" too! Gotta get to baking! haha.

Bearzy
dusting off the cobwebs

Penpal

Old 12-24-2011, 01:21 AM

Item pic:
Description: It's a sort of cake, chocolate biscuity base, with strawberries, and then melted chocolate on top!

Picture isn't great, cellphone camera and all that, but it looks delicious in person.

Last edited by Melody; 01-02-2012 at 06:04 PM..

Roachi
ϟ△⃒⃘

Penpal

Old 12-24-2011, 01:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melody Xyelle View Post
Roachi- I'm doing great! I've got soooo much more time this event. It's awesome! And I'm actually at home for all of it so I get to "participate" too! Gotta get to baking! haha.
Ohh awesome!! Me too, so glad i got time off work. Cept i gotta go back on wednesday. But still that gives me quite a bit of time to do stuff on here!!
Me too! Gotta think of something creative lol.

@Carzee - Mmm sugary sweet goodness :drool:

Melody
(づ ̄ ³ ̄) ...

Penpal

Old 12-24-2011, 01:31 AM

Chocolate and strawberries.... :drool: